Start by marking “The Cat Who Played Post Office” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Played Post Office

The Cat Who Played Post Office (The Cat Who... #6)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  5,976 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
Inheriting unexpected millions has left reporter Jim Qwilleran looking like the cat who swallowed the canary. While his two Siamese cats, Koko and Yum Yum, adjust to being fat cats in an enormous mansion, Qwilleran samples the lifestyles of the rich and famous by hiring a staff of eccentric servants. A missing housemaid and a shocking murder show Qwilleran the unsavory sid ...more
Published December 1st 1987 by Jove Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Played Post Office, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Played Post Office

Mar 26, 2009 Kaila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that so far this is one of the best in The Cat Who series as far as suspense and unexpected plot twists are concerned. Lilian Jackson Braun is one of my favorite escapist authors and as such I usually know what is going to happen but the characters keep me engaged. Not so with this book. I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns in this one and I could not put it down until I finished it.

Qwill starts the story in the hospital after someone tries to run him over during his daily bik
Amanda Meggs
Feb 12, 2012 Amanda Meggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-mystery, cat-who
Without Koko Jim would be lost. Koko is definitely the brains behind the outfit.
Roger Verstraete
Jim Qwilleran: Prize-winning reporter with a nose for crime.
Koko: Siamese cat with extraordinary talents to assist in solving mysteries.
Yum Yum: The other Siamese cat; the sweet one.
Melinda Goodwinter: Qwill's present girlfriend, a doctor in Pickax.
Penelope Goodwinter: Along with her brother, Alex, she is Qwilleran's lawyer.
Daisy Mull: Former maid, working for Aunt Fanny, disappeared five years ago.
Arch Riker: Qwill's best friend from Down Below, an editor for the Daily Fluxion.
Nothing is like it seems and Pickax is not a quiet little town 400 miles north of everywhere. Qwill soon finds out that the town has dirty little secrets and some are quite dangerous to investigate.

The overall plot is interesting if somewhat thin but that's expected in this series but since it's early days in Moose County, the gallery of characters I came to love are just paper thin dolls in this instalment.

We meet or get to know more the infamous Amanda Goodwinter, shop owner and designer; her
Jul 02, 2016 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. I just really don't like these books as much as I did when I started. They're OKAY, but I definitely don't love them. I will continue the series for now, just because I enjoy the settings, the murder mysteries, and the cats.

But Qwill is still very unlikeable. He thinks every woman he meets wants to go on a date with him, when he is ALREADY dating someone who wants to marry him!

Ugh. Also, I thought the twist at the end of this book was really lame.
Lisa Kucharski
Apr 02, 2014 Lisa Kucharski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading about how a "down under" guy tries to fit into the small community of Pickaxe. (down under = north of Pickaxe not Australia)

In this story Qwill moves into the big estate home he inherited and finds a curious trunk of items that someone left. A young girl, from the seedy part of town, who worked but then got fired cause she didn't work. In his trying to find out about the girl's whereabouts he basically kicks a hornets nest and stirs up all sorts of trouble.

Again, love the charac
Aug 12, 2010 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another really enjoyable yarn. I enjoy reading this series of books. The characters, especially Quill and Koko are likeable, although the cat's antics are unlike anything my own two cats would get up to. However, I don't let this get in the way of a good story.
Here there is a girl who has been missing for five years and no-one seems to have realised that something may happened to her. The truth comes out in the end with a really surprising twist right on the last page............
Do go and try th
Mar 03, 2016 itchy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w
must have read this too fast

p232: knits some things for the baby.... n w there are pages torn out... aptil thirtieth, she cries all night.
Oct 14, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-cosy
What a delight! I'm revisiting some of The Cat Who books on audio at the moment and this one was so enjoyable. George Guidall is such a lovely narrator, I couldn't imagine anyone else doing it as well.
by Lilian Jackson Braun
3.5 Stars
Qwilleran, suddenly and unexpectedly, is the heir to million-dollar inheritance, but only if he agrees to live in Pickax for five years. Otherwise, the fortune goes to some unknown business in New Jersey, which would mean the small town of Pickax would lose out, as it has depended on the generosity of this wealthy family to provide for many needed improvements. So, Qwilleran, begins his transition from a bachelor with mediocre finance
Sep 24, 2016 Athimar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We were presented with an unusual cliffhanger at the end of the last novel. Jim Qwileran (Qwill) was left an enormous fortune in inheritance, provided he remain living in the Pickaxe area for five years. He was also offered his life-long dream assignment back in the big city. While this might seem a no brainer for most, Ms. Braun's convincing portrayal of this man and his dedication to his profession truly left this reader wandering what he would decide to do.

In a stroke of genius, Ms. Braun del
Dec 23, 2014 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Jim Qwilleran’s recent accident leaves him with little memory of recent events, and the little he remembers doesn’t seem to add up. So, was it really an accident? Jim (aided by helpful hints from his two Siamese cats) finds only more mystery as he investigates. A clever premise, but the more he investigates, the less plausible the plot becomes.

#6 in The Cat Who ... series.

The Cat Who ... Series - Jim Qwilleran is a prize-winning reporter with a nose for crime. Koko is a Siamese cat with extraordinary talents and a flair for mystery. Yum Yum is a lovable Siamese adored by her two male companions. Inheriting unexpected millions has left Qwilleran looking like the cat who swallowed the canary. While Koko and Yum Yum adjust to being fat cats in an enormous mansion, Qwilleran samples the lifestyles of the rich and famous by hiring a staff
Exactly what I needed. A break from the dark and serious with this light, animated mystery. It was an entertaining quick read, very juvenile and perfect for those pre-teens interested in mysteries.
Jun 03, 2016 C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked “The Cat Who Played Post Office” enough for four-star feedback. What sank a star with a heavy thud is Archie’s admission, a propos of nothing, that he ended the lives of his cats because he and his wife divorced! A cat-loving author considers divorce a reason to kill family? He could have sent them to his wealthy friend! Jim invites Archie to move there!!!! The ex-wife could have held onto them until they solicited any number of friends. Archie ran a newspaper! He could have printed an a ...more
These books will always be some of my favorite "I don't know what I'm in the mood for" reads.
Jul 13, 2016 hana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
May 20, 2014 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short mystery novels continue to entertain me. I’m sure it’s because of the cats...even though they’re not mentioned in the book as often as you might think. Which is either a shame or a blessing depending how crazy you are about cats.

Braun writes compact mysteries...a whole lot of punch is packed into 250 pages. The plot is solid, the solution always believable, the characters fun and quirky. I’m sure this is considered to be a “cozy” mystery...something I swore I would never read. And no
Qwill and the cats are getting settled into the K Mansion, some people are murdered, and Qwill continues to be on the prowl as a mustachioed ladies man. This last part is the least believable.

Qwill moves into the Klingshoen Mansion, as part of his incredibly lucky inheritance. He seems to be dating the town doctor while constantly asking her cousin, the lawyer, out to dinner, drinks, whatever. Really, Qwill? Get over yourself. You are NOT a ladies man. I refuse to believe it.
Anyway, I digress. H
Sep 05, 2014 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished on 7-20-2014, but forgot to write my update & review until now. I like how this book is staged to where the book begins in the middle of the story. At first I was lost, but I thought it was because it has been a while since I have read one of the "Cat Who..." books. It turns out, Qwill is also just as lost, since he's waking up in a hospital bed after an "accident", and trying to remember what happened. So, I'm just as disoriented as Qwill and really feeling the part! The rest of th ...more
Sep 18, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a really good book. I really enjoy Mystery books because I like trying to guess who did what, although at times it makes me look a little crazy talking to a book. It started out a little slow for my taste at the beginning but it started to pick up around chapter 5. I found myself trying to guess who did it after it started to pick up. I had 4 suspects, 2 of them was right and another one that I didn't see coming. If you want to find who did it your just going to have to read the book.

It w
Mar 20, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Perry Whitford
Oct 05, 2015 Perry Whitford rated it it was ok
After his unlikely inheritance, Jack Qwilleram has resigned from his post at the Daily Fluxion and gone to live in the Klingenschoen mansion in rural Pickaxe City, Moose county.

He takes his Siamese cats with him, one of whom - the male, KoKo - is an uncanny crime buster, able to sniff and scratch out clues, helping Qwilleram to solve mysteries.

Having been won over with the notion of cat detectives, which can hardly fail as a premise in my book, I bought two omnibus editions of Braun's works and
Nov 08, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, 2013, 2014
A Review of The Cat Who Played Post Office by Lilian Jackson Braun

Rating: Four Stars

Edition: Mass Market Paperback

Genre: Cozy Mystery

The Cat Who Played Post Office by Lilian Jackson Braun is the sixth book in the Cat Who Series and was published in 1987. For those not familiar with the series: Jim Qwilleran is a journalist from the big city who has inherited great wealth and now lives in a small county with a bunch of unique townspeople. Qwilleran is also the cat guardian of two Siamese, Koko an
The Hobbit
Jan 24, 2016 The Hobbit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cat-who-series
The psychedelic walls of the former maid's apartment stun Journalist Qwillerin. A former emploee of his late aunt, the 20-year-old disappeared 5 years ago, sending a note that her former art teacher claims is not in the girl's distinctive handwriting. When feline Koko finds a suitcase and a carton in the attic, each filled with the girl's belongings, Qwill asks questions, questions that result in two more murders and make Qwill the target of a third possible killing.
Этот «Кот, который...» меня несколько разочаровал количеством трупов, но свою функцию выполнил.

Квиллер принял-таки предложение стать миллионером по истечении 5 лет проживания в роскошном особняке в деревне (см. предыдущую в серии книгу). Он попадает в больницу, в качестве экономки у него работает вдовствующая любительница антиквариата из 2 (3?) книги. Минус: куда пальцем не ткни — везде трупы, причем они явно связаны друг с другом той тайной, которую пытается раскрыть Квиллер. Все банально, по
A lot of ppl enjoy these "cozy mysteries", and I do too, actually. But for me they are just a 'nice read' and nothing too overwhelming or spectacular, and also a bit ancient. So therefore only 2 stars.

The title refers to the habit of Koko to select the really important letters from Qwills pile of post that lands in his corridor daily. He even has to hire a secretary to deal with all those letters asking for a donation or (financial) support, now that he has inherited the Klingenschoen estate.
Feb 08, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maguire and I give Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who Played Post Office 4 stars. This is the book where Qwilleran, Koko & Yum Yum move to Pickax to begin their life of leisure. Qwill's journalistic instincts and Koko's cat senses kick in when they hear the tale of the murdered housemaid. Unfortunately someone is willing to kill to keep the cold case on ice. New and old characters combine for a rousing good "tail".
Knit Spirit
Feb 04, 2013 Knit Spirit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ce livre est le 6ème volume de la saga « Jim Qwilleran Feline Whodunnit ». Je ne connaissais pas du tout ces livres et ce fut une belle découverte.
Le début était un peu déroutant puisque je ne connaissais pas les personnages principaux mais après le premier chapitre, tout se met correctement en place et je n’étais plus du tout perdue.
Jim Qwilleran est un personnage très excentrique avec ses deux chats siamois à qui il parle et à qui il attribue des dons un peu spéciaux (notamment au chat dénommé
I read this book years ago and reread it today. Qwill was a bit stuffy in this story--don't know who he was trying to impress. Maybe it was just living in a mansion and not having to worry about money. I've just gotten back into THE CAT WHO series and it's taking me some time to figure out what Koko is trying to get us to see. These are enjoyable books that can be read quickly without missing any of the story.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Played Post Office #6 1 2 Aug 09, 2013 09:52PM
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • A Cat of a Different Color (Alice Nestleton Mystery #2)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • Cat in a Diamond Dazzle (Midnight Louie, #5)
  • Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey, #4)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

The Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
  • The Cat Who Lived High (Cat Who... #11)