Start by marking “Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1)

Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,148 Ratings  ·  981 Reviews

Lucy Valentine is as smart as can be, as single as you can get, and so not qualified to run a matchmaking service. But when her parents temporarily step down from the family business, Valentine, Inc., it’s Lucy’s turn to step up and help out—in the name of love.

Plus, her rent is due.

Here’s the problem: Lucy doesn’t have the knack for matchmaking. According to family l

Published February 2nd 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Truly, Madly, please sign up.

Bisquit
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Vinaya
Everybody who's familiar with my reading patterns knows that I tend to have phases. Like a historical romance phase and a teen paranormal phase and so on... I came across Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine series last year, when I was in my fluffy mysteries phase. And I was hooked instantly.

To be fair, although the blurb may make the book out to be complete fluff, it really isn't. Not like, say, Ellen Byerrum's Crimes of Fashion books. The Lucy Valentine books are fun reads, but they're not fluffy.
Arlene
Dec 20, 2009 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Goodreads Giveaway Winner!!
I received this advanced reader’s copy (ARC) through a Goodreads giveaway. I was extremely pleased with Heather Webber’s novel Truly, Madly. I finished it fairly quickly, as it’s an engaging read that develops at a steady pace. The characters are likeable, the plot is suspenseful, and the point of view keeps you interested in the main character the entire time.

I liked how the author Heather Webber infuses mysterious events throughout the entire novel, but she doesn’t wait until the final chapte
Laurie Garrison
Captivating and full of humor!!! This was a wonderful read. I have always loved humor, and this page turner hit my humor spot. I would recommend this book for those that loves a good mystery, adventure, humor and a wonderful cast of characters. This book also holds some paranormal aspects, but this is not a romance novel, so there is no HEA or sex.

This is a fun book about Lucy running her family match-making service for a couple of weeks. The thing is Lucy has a touch of physic in her. After sh
~Tina~
Nov 13, 2014 ~Tina~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blessed (or cursed) by Cupid, The Valentine family has been given the gift of matchmaking, with the ability to see people's auras. Only Lucy lost this gift at the age of 14 during a thunderstorm and now her powers has been subjected to finding objects rather then the matters of the heart. While her father recovers from a heart attack, Lucy has to keep her fathers company -Valentine Inc- up to float while her parents take a little vaca. Soon enough things start to spiral out of control when Lucy ...more
Doreen
Dec 17, 2009 Doreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
My earlier note on receiving this book free from Goodreads as part of the First Reads program at bottom.

I really liked this book! For a mystery (and a first mystery,) it was actually suspenseful, and didn't telegraph the ending a third of the way through. As an urban fantasy novel, it was convincing and consistent in its mythology-building, if definitely on the light-hearted side. As a romance, I was SO GRATEFUL that it wasn't your standard virgin-meets-hot-guy-with-issues then promptly has hot
Kate
This book was adorable.

Lucy Valentine is recruited by her father to run Valentine's Inc, a super successful matchmaking service. All the Valentines have the ability to read auras and match people with their soulmates, but Lucy can no longer do that after a freak accident. However, she can find lost objects, instead. It's a light murder-mystery with some paranormal sprinkled in and lots of romance and humor. It's a great chick-lit book and I read it super fast. It was enjoyable and light, which
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
Didn't like Book 1 much but im willing to give this series another go ! :)
Kelley Anne
Feb 19, 2010 Kelley Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, first-reads, 2010
What a fun, enjoyable book! I received an ARC of this book as part of a first-reads giveaway. I am really glad that I did!

This is the story of Lucy Valentine. She is a girl with a problem! Lucy comes from a long line of matchmakers. The ability to match make is literally in their genes. All of the members of her family can see the colors of people's spirits. Then, they find two people who's spirits match, and presto! You have a match. In fact, their matchmaking business has a 98% success rate.
faeriemyst
TRULY, MADLY is mystery, romance, chick-lit and a bit of paranormal all wrapped up in one delightful little package. Lucy Valentine is a nice, normal, and a little bit quirky protagonist who never got on my nerves. It's nice to have a main character who isn't totally self-absorbed, ditzy, neurotic, clumsy and just plain irritating, basically just about every female you run across in lighter fiction books these days. All the other characters added to the story seamlessly and there wasn't one who ...more
Vickie
Jan 18, 2010 Vickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this SWEEEEET funny book as an ARC from Goodreads and I am so glad I did! It took me a month from receipt to read it. I tend to shy away from romance books, but this one has been getting rave reviews from 'trusted agents' and it had that paranormal and mystery I love so well....I caved (glad I did) and read it rather quickly. I stayed up late to read 'just one more page'! A danger book in that sense.
Wonderfully funny, a little wacky, some hot romance without making me avert my eyes,
Danielle
Dec 18, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads-arcs
This book was SOOOO GOOD!!! I can't say enough about this book. I just know that Heather Webber should be proud of producing such a product. I live in New York City and oftentimes I read books while on the train (its a skill). However, as I was reading this book on the train I nearly missed my stop!!! I was so entralled by the story and the characters that I was not aware of what was going on around me.

This is a paranormal romance that I would definitely recommend to my friends. Lucy Valentine,
MissSusie
Dec 19, 2009 MissSusie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, lter

Lucy hails from a long line of matchmakers known as Valentine Inc. According to family legend, the Valentines have been blessed by Cupid with psychic ability to help couples find true love. Trouble is, Lucy’s powers were zapped away by an electrical surge and now all she can do is find lost objects. What good is that in the matchmaking world?

The Mix of Romance- Mystery & Humor was just the right blend.
I enjoyed this book much more than I expected to after seeing the quote on the back sayin
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause something just don't feel right
ARC copy

Smart, funny and interesting. It's a weird quirk to the whole 'psychic detective' cozies that I've read before.

Lucy Valentine is the daughter of Oscar Valentine who owns Valentine Inc. They are hugely successful mainly due to their well-kept secret, the ability to read Auras and base matches on that. Unfortunately Lucy was struck by lighting and that power was literally 'zapped' out of here. Instead, she can find items through touch.

All well in good until she's put in charge of the busin
Jasmin
Sep 08, 2010 Jasmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a cozy read
Valentine, Inc. The Trusted and 98% succesful Matchmaking Agency.

Vision
Envisions a future where heartbreaks would have no space on the earth. Where everyone could live in complete harmony. Where everyone is happy and content with their love lives. Where there is no need for annulment and divorce. (Well, that was oddly TOO optimistic for me.)

Mission
Utilizing the use of “matching auras”, we at Valentine’s Inc. make sure that our clients are happy and satisfied and of course, “in love”.

CEO Os
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Lucy Valentine has lost the family ability to match people based on their auras, and can now only find lost objects. After some negative publicity, Lucy finds herself in charge of the family matchmaking business for a few weeks. Not realizing what she's getting herself into, she offers to try to find a new client's lost love, then asks the PI in the upstairs office to help her out. Sparks fly as soon as she walks in the door.

Really, this was a 3.5 star book for me. I'll get my complaints out of
Marian
Dec 23, 2009 Marian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readit, 2009
Truly Madly is a good, quick read. Originally I intended to wait until my days off to attempt reading it, but my "quick peek" pretty much turned into a race to the finish because I didn't want to put the book down. Immediately after I finished it, I wanted the sequel as well as to pass the book off to at least three people I knew who'd love it.

I like LucyD, which is getting harder and harder to say about heroines these days. She's funny and charming, and I can't wait to see what other situations
Bandmama (aka Lucy) - Claiming Mitch as mine
What a great read! Everyone kept telling me I should read this series and now I understand why. It's a great mix of mayhem, mystery, and murder with a little hint of flirt thrown in. LOVED every word of this book. It's well written, and the characters and details are rich.
Ann
Dec 31, 2010 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
What a fun book, loved the characters and the story! I usually don't read the end of the book intro to the next book as I would rather wait for the actual book, but I didn't want to stop reading last night when Truly Madly was over.
Candace Davidson
I wasn' t sure if I would like this because I know it is more "romantic" than what I usually read. I liked it a lot and would like to finish the series. I got this as Christmas present.
Melodie
Dec 18, 2010 Melodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
REALLY liked this one and can see why so many on the Cozy board have raved about it! Have DEEPLY, DESPERATELY coming up some time next week!
Valérie
Apr 17, 2014 Valérie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Heather Webber nous offre une délicieuse comédie, légère, un mélange sympathique de Chick lit, paranormal et policier avec une adorable héroïne qui pour une fois est normale, enfin quasiment. C'est frais, enlevé, bourré d'humour avec des personnages fantasques, la plume de l'auteure est tendre et romantique et vous entraîne dans une romance originale avec une maîtrise parfaite. Ce premier tome des aventures de Lucy Valentine est une vraie détente, la romance semble peu présente, mais c’est juste
Peace Love and Reviews
My first love in the book genre is the chick lit. They're funny, entertaining and light hearted and it gives me that feeling of falling in love over and over again. My favorites are Louise Bagshawe, Cecelia Ahern, Jennifer Crusie, Libby Street, and Lauren Weisberger and now I have an new addition in the name of Heather Webber, this book is so good I decided to put Cat & Bones on hold, can you imagine?!

I was really excited when I won this ARC at Librarything's Early Reviewer contest. I haven
The_Book_Queen
During a time when paranormals flood the bookshelves, Heather Webber's Truly, Madly provides a refreshing, and sweet, take on the popular genre-- and one you won't want to miss!

Between the psychic abilities and Cupid's Curse, Truly, Madly has just the right amount of paranormal themes going on. Not too heavy, and with just enough of a tease to make you want the next book to find out what will happen. I'd describe this as a paranormal chick-lit. A bit on the softer side, but just as entertaining,
Melissa
Dec 24, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first got this book, I was thinking it was a very light paranormal romance type of book. I wasn't completely correct. There was humor in this book, mostly from the main character, Lucy. Her wit which often masked a deep sense of insecurity was very humorous. Add in her friends who often took that wit and strengthened it, the book became enjoyable on that level alone. Oh, and those worried about the insecurity angle... don't worry, it doesn't come off as whiny at all.

There was more than on
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)
I like Lucy Valentine, I actually like her. Sure, she's harebrained, but if she weren't, there wouldn't be a story. However, she's also more down-to-earth, more fully developed, more real than most female protagonists in the paranormal romance/cozy mystery genre.

The book had a bit of a rocky start; I think a more judicious hand in the editing department would have benefitted the book greatly as Webber has a tendency to repeat names or information unnecessarily, which created a somewhat distracti
Josh
Dec 17, 2009 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Well, I just finished the ARC of Truly, Madly I won from Goodreads after receiving it in the mail 2 days ago. And I must say, I'm fairly pleased.

The book is yet another entry in the booming market of "paranormal romance," which most people take as "a vampire sex book." But not so in this case. Lucy Valentine, our sexy blond heroine (running trend, don't you think?), comes from a long line of people who have the ability to see other peoples auras who then match them up with their perfect mates, b
Katherine
Dec 29, 2009 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather Webber’s book is a true delight to read. Vaguely reminiscent of the work of Janet Evanovich, "Truly Madly" has a lovely touch of the supernatural to keep readers on their toes. Basically, this book is perfect for cozying up in front of the fire while sipping a warm beverage. Lucy Valentine, as well as the host of secondary characters, is quirky enough to be memorable but not so strange that you want to strangle her (or them).

My only complaint about this book was that, upon finishing it,
Chioma
Dec 30, 2009 Chioma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heather Webber combines a great suspence filled mystery, a casual romance, and a spunky main character that had me rooting for her in all aspects of the book!!!

I am not usually a mystery reader, they tend to annoy me a great deal. With all the useless clues, and annoying detectives making annoying deductions, I'd rather stick to CSI, but this book changed my mind. The reason I usually detest mystery and suspence books so much is because I can usually predict the ending from a mile away. But in
Jenn at Tale of Two Doxies
Feb 23, 2014 Jenn at Tale of Two Doxies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Meg Cabot's Heather Wells Series or Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum Series
I received my copy of Truly, Madly yesterday. I was excited to be reading a pre-release copy, but honestly wasn't sure what to expect. Twenty pages in I was hooked, had I not had to get up and deal with three and four year olds this morning I would have finished last night! :-)

I really loved the book, I thought the whole idea was a little iffy at first but it was carried off really well. This book had a little bit of everything: romance, suspense, fun characters, relatable heroine, AND a mystery
  • The Good the Bad and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1)
  • Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • A Glimpse of Evil (Psychic Eye Mystery, #8)
  • The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Buys a T-shirt (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #1)
Heather Webber (aka Heather Blake) is the author of more than twenty mystery novels and has been twice nominated for an Agatha Award. She's a total homebody who loves to be close to her family, read, watch reality TV (especially cooking competition shows), drink too much coffee, crochet, and bake (mostly cookies). Heather grew up in a suburb of Boston, but currently she lives in the Cincinnati are ...more
More about Heather Webber...

Lucy Valentine (5 books)
  • Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2)
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4)
  • Undeniably Yours  (Lucy Valentine, #5)

“Tak ada yang lebih buruk daripada iri pada sahabat, atau mengharapka sesuatu yang menurut perasaanmu seharusnya menjadi milikmu.” 3 likes
“Aku juga menyukainya. Terlalu menyukainya sehingga tidak bisa kukatakan.” 1 likes