Start by marking “La Consolante” as Want to Read:
La Consolante

La Consolante

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  1,493 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Chinese edition of Anna Gavalda by Anna Gavalda, the author of "I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere." A bestseller in France, the book was translated into 38 languages. English edition is scheduled for release in 2009. In Traditional Chinese. Distributed by Tsai Fong Books, Inc.
Published May 5th 2010 by J'ai lu (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about La Consolante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Consolante

JC
While I always enjoy Anna Gavalda's books, this is perhaps my least favourite so far. Charles, while reasonably likeable, did not grab me as the central protagonist, and the sudden shift into bucolic fantasy in the last third of the book felt so whimsical that it was ridiculous. Both Kate and Anouk read as Manic Dream Pixie Girls rather than characters with whom I could connect. Nevertheless, there are dimensions to Gavalda's writing style that I enjoy, such as her occasional bursts of almost st ...more
Julia
This one is hard to read from the beginning.
I wanted to put this book down more than once but as I was waiting for my connecting flight at the airport and had no other book on hand I kept on reading for a few hours and am so happy about it.
This book gets you and is such a book about love love and love. And about a midlife-crises and how you can really live your dreams even if its the difficult way to live.
It is beautiful written from the middle to the end and I really was sad when I finished
Yannick
this book is too slow. The story is basic but one moment you want to go foward in order to know what happened in her life with this woman.
Also the writting is complicated to follow. You have to remember perflectly each charactere, beause the author will jump from his childhood to his actual like to the time where he met his wife. It is messy, and when I read a book, I hate coming few pages back, in order to understaned what I am reading
Anna
This book tortured me for about 2 weeks. No, it's brilliant, it's captivating, but it hits right in the weakest point of the reader. This book is about each of us and none of us. Characters! Charles... his work in Moscow, how funny, how sad! I love Gavalda's books but so far this is the one.
I'm endlessly in love with her style! Short sentences but so full of irony, so full with love.
Der Roman handelt von dem erfolgreichen Architekten Charles Balanda. Charles lebt eigentlich schon eine Weile nicht mehr richtig. Er funktioniert nur noch. Seine Frau und seine Stieftochter sind nur Randfiguren, weil er vielmehr mit Arbeiten beschäftigt ist. Eines Tages bekommt er einen Brief, der ihn vollkommen aus der Bahn wirft. In dem Brief stehen nur drei Worte: "Anouk ist tot.".
Charles holt die Vergangheit ein, er verliert sich in ihr und nur widerstrebend setzt er sich mit ihr auseinander
Andrea Hickman Walker
This is a rather odd book. It reminds me of Elizabeth Goudge and Rumer Godden because nothing really seems to happen but there's a story there that's awfully compelling. This is a story about life falling apart and coming together. About life and death and living despite being dead and the slow decaying death that is a meaningless life of going through the motions.

There's a main character, a man I don't particularly like and who I thought very little of until I reached the almost-end of the book
Jenny
After having read "Hunting & Gathering" by the same author, a true masterpiece, I had very high expectations of this novel.

But I am markedly disappointed with this read, and I had to make a great effort finishing it. The protagonist Charles Balanda had no characteristics or happenings at all that intrigued me whatsoever. I really didn't want to know whether he sorted out his ordeals or not. Maybe I am in the wrong life phase to appreciate this one.

I only looked forward to the ending, so I
Her Royal Orangeness
The plot of Consolation is essentially this: a man falls headlong into a mid-life crisis after learning of the death of a childhood friend. But as always seems to be the case with Anna Gavalda, her books are not about plot but about characters. She creates people who are so rich and multifaceted that they seem far more real than imaginary. Consolation is a beautiful musing on love and second chances and guilt and responsibility. I must confess, though, that I only gave the book a 3.5 Star rating ...more
Sandra
Worte hab ich nicht wirklich für dieses Buch. Es hat mir gefallen, sehr gut gefallen. Ich kann es nur weiterempfehlen, weiß aber nicht, ob es jedermanns Sache ist. Auch wenn es in den Bestsellerlisten ist, ich bezweifle, dass es jeder zu Ende liest. Ich konnte das Ende kaum erwarten, aber wollte es doch hinauszögern, weil es ein Vergnügen, ein Genuss war, dieses Buch zu lesen.
Maris
Like many others have already commented, the first half was very difficult to read. The author challenged the reader, no question about it :-).
But the story was with me long time after I had finished reading the book, it had a lot to tell me.
Catie
This book is so well-splashed with tears and bathwater that I couldn't loan it out, even if I wanted to.
Delphine
its so weird to see oneself in a book....
Christina
Un mot pour définir ce livre : rebondissement. Un livre plein d'humanité, comme très souvent chez Anna Gavalda. Ce roman est fait d'inattendus et de surprises. Comment la vie d'un homme peut basculer, comment peut-il s'en relever. Il semble ordinaire, reconnu dans son métier par ses paires, en manque affectif mais il n'y prête guère attention. Il suffira d'une lettre pour tout bouleverser. On suit la vie de cet homme attachant, de sa vie d'avant à sa descente aux enfers, puis à sa renaissance av ...more
Catherine Matte
J'ai tenté, à deux reprises, de lire ce livre, sans succès... j'avais bien apprécié "ensemble, c'est tout", un bon petit roman divertissant et sympathique. Pour celui-là, quoique je ne m'attendais pas à un chef d'oeuvre, j'étais bien contente de m'adonner à sa lecture.
La première tentative de lire "la consolante" s'est soldé rapidement par un échec; la deuxième fois, j'ai acheté le livre (usagé, heureusement!).. je ne me rappelais plus que j'avais déjà tenté de le lire! Cela m'a pris quelques p
Esther
Une histoire touchante, mais à vrai dire plutôt un conte de fées qu’un roman.

Parfois un peu difficile à suivre, parfois très lente, parfois incroyable, parfois déconcertant, mais généralement un plaisir à lire.

Pour moi c’étaient les personnages à plusieurs couches (un peu comme dans « ensemble c’est tout ») que j’ai appréciés le plus dans ce livre. Chaque personne dévoile ses côtés sympas, choquantes, tristes, mais surtout aimables ; et cela pendant une histoire qui nous promet que la vie nous
Maguxy Ruiz
mmm qué he aprendido de este libro? que si no te gusta una novela la dejes en las primeras páginas y no intentes darle oportunidades. Para algunos este libro estará escrito maravillosamente, pero yo veo a una tía que se ha comprado un portátil, le ha instalado el word, se ha comprado el libro de crítica literaria y ha creído entender el concepto de stream of conciousness y quería copiarlo.
Batiburrillo de ideas sin sentido, historia que puede ser interesante pero la forma de narrala prrrrrrrr (ru
Inga
Audiobook-Rezension:

Zunächst dachte ich, es läge an der Form des Audiobooks, aber bei "Alles Glück kommt nie" fiel es mir deutlich schwerer, mich an Erzählstil und die Protagonisten zu gewöhnen, als bei den anderen Romanen von Anna Gavalda. Dieser Mann, dieser Charles, wollte mir nicht recht sympathisch werden in seiner Midlife-Crisis. Offenkundig hatte er die Sicht auf sein Leben verloren und beginnt, angestoßen durch den Tod von Anouk, seiner ersten Liebe, eine Nabelschau und Suche nach sich
Mireille
The first 300 pages were terrible. Seriously. I had read somewhere on the Internet that it started getting good at about half, and they weren't lying. It was a pain before - hate the main character, hate the writing style (lots of ... and no pronouns, what is that about). When Kate comes around it starts being awesome. It was weird.
Jessica Weir
I loved this book. It was so touching and inspiring. It was a bit weird in English, especially as it was the Irish edition. I will read it again I'm sure. Embracing and letting go of childhood and taking second chances. Now that is an ellipsis.
Mapensine
Un style particulier mais que j'ai beaucoup aimé, quelques lenteurs et les passages seulement composés de listes de noms n'étaient pas agréables à lire bien que servant le propos.
Un homme ravagé qui ne sait plus où il va et cherche un sens à sa vie, qu'il trouvera en Kate, sa "consolante" : "Une partie pour rien... Sans enjeu, sans compétition, sans perdants... Pour le plaisir, quoi...".
Un hymne à la vie qui nous fait rire et pleurer en même temps, nous fait retrouver apprécier les petites cho
Juliette
J'ai lu "La Consolante" suite à mon gros coup de cœur pour "Ensemble c'est tout" et pour la plume d'Anna Gavalda dans ce roman. Je pense que je m'attendais donc (et peut-être trop) à retrouver les mêmes émotions dans ce roman... Je n'ai pas été spécialement séduite par le résumé mais j'ai tout de même tenté l'aventure, m'attendant à avoir une surprise au niveau du contenu. Mais ça n'a pas du tout été le cas... C'est un roman long, très long... Je ne dis pas cela spécialement pour le nombre de pa ...more
Sandra
Non è facile commentare in modo compiuto questo libro.
Dire che non mi sia piaciuto per niente sarebbe inesatto, così come non sarebbe vero dire che mi abbia lasciato un indelebile segno.
E' stata una lettura a intermittenza.
Le prime 300 pagine -tante!- sono stata una salita ripida e tortuosa, irta di difficoltà: ero senza fiato, accaldata e affaticata.
Lo stile della Gavalda mi ha messo in difficoltà: i numerosissimi e ripetuti puntini di sospensione che lasciano tutto detto e non detto; i periodi
Veronica
OK, I can't go on reading this. It's just dire. I didn't expect it to be a masterpiece, but I bought it (cheap paperback fortunately) because I enjoyed Ensemble c'est Tout -- it was a pleasant, undemanding read. Many of the reviews on amazon.fr said that the first 300 pages were hard going, but it got better. Well, yes, they were hard going. But then it got worse.

Some French reviewers whinged about the grammar and structure in the first part (lack of personal pronouns making it hard to follow, m
Lencza
Velmi objemný román (prý známé, co já vím?) francouzské autorky... román reflektující cosi jako "krizi středního věku" jednoho pařížského architekta. Román plný vzpomínek, román o vztazích, o přehodnocování toho, co je a co není v životě důležité; jak je a jak není dobré žít.
Autorka v průběhu psaní střídá několik různých stylů - zpočátku vypráví rychle, postupně děj ztrácí svůj spád a rozpíná se do šířky v popisných pasážích. Možná se podobně proměňuje i život hlavního hrdiny - od posedlosti pr
Elise
Nov 04, 2008 Elise rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Charles Balanda, 47 ans, architecte à Paris, apprend incidemment la mort d'une femme qu'il a connue quand il était enfant, et adolescent. 'Il déchire la lettre et la jette dans la poubelle de la cuisine. Quand il relève son pied de la pédale et que le couvercle retombe, clac, il a l'impression d'avoir refermé, à temps, une espèce de boîte de Pandore, et, puisqu'il est devant l'évier, s'asperge le visage en gémissant. Retourne ensuite vers les autres. Vers la vie. Se sent mieux déjà. Allez... C'e ...more
Domic
Eigentlich muesste ich dem Ding jeden Stern verweigern - nach 1 Stunde hab ich das Hörbuch abgebrochen, weil ich überhaupt keinen roten Faden erkennen konnte und das ganze aus einer Reihe scheinbar sinnloser Aneinanderreihungen von Beziehungsproblemen bestand. Und dann spielt es auch noch in Frankreich - neee, geht gar nicht! Gut, dass das nur ausgeliehen war.
Elizabeth Atkins
Not bad... I really really like Gavalda and enjoy spending time with her characters. I read this because I had read "Ensemble c'est tout" which I can't find on "Goodreads" and that book was perhaps the BEST or at least most thoroughly enjoyable read I have done-- so, go read "Ensemble c'est tout" and don't bother seeing the movie with Audrey Tautou unless you just can't resist... (and no matter what, see it AFTER reading, of course!)
Bev
I found the first half of this book difficult to get into, and sadly a little boring. Then it picked up. Still trying to decide about the style of writing. I found that I had to just keep going, and not worry too much about detail, it would all come together. Then I wondered if this was deliberate. If it was, then that was quite clever, relative to the development of the story. All in all I did enjoy it. Maybe 2.5 stars...
Cristina Pana
O carte alambicata, greu de urmarit si de inteles. Gavalda a vrut sa scrie ceva serios si profund si nu a reusit decat sa plictiseasca, sa enerveze si sa complice. La un moment dat, dupa 300 si ceva de pagini, sunt cateva pagini bune in care se povesteste fluid, logic si frumos. Personajul Kate reuseste sa atraga cititorul cu povestea ei si mai ca-ti vine sa stergi cu buretele toate ametelile de pana in acel moment. Dar magia dureaza doar cateva pagini pentru ca autoarea probabil s-a plictisit r ...more
Metodi Markov
Ана Гавалда е много добър разказвач на човешки истории и взаимоотношения. В първите и три книги се бе получило перфектно. Но в тази, това хаотично разпадане на личността ми дойде малко в повече. Все пак, последните 200 страници ми доставиха удоволствие и спасиха тази книга от участта да бъде изоставена недочетена.
  • School's Out
  • Où es-tu?
  • Journal d'Hirondelle
  • Nymphéas noirs
  • Le choeur des femmes
  • Rien ne s'oppose à la nuit
  • Das Labyrinth der Wörter
  • Malronce (Autre Monde, #2)
  • Cruciada copiilor
  • My Summer With George
  • Je vais bien, ne t'en fais pas
  • Lyckans hjul
Anna Gavalda is a French teacher and award-winning novelist.

Referred to by Voici magazine as "a distant descendant of Dorothy Parker", Anna Gavalda was born in an upper-class suburb of Paris. While working as French teacher in high school, a collection of her short stories was first published in 1999 under the title "Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attende quelque part" that met with both critical acc
More about Anna Gavalda...
Hunting and Gathering I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere Someone I Loved L'Echappée belle 95 Pounds of Hope

“Es ist Jahre her, da hatte das Leben für sie aufgegeben, als Charles auf schmerzhafte Weise bewusst wurde, wie schwer es ihm fiel, die Pläne für das Projekt zu lesen, das andere das Leben nannten.” 2 likes
“Ему достаточно было просто знать, что она существует, пусть далеко от него, пусть отдельно от него, и это его утешало...” 2 likes