Start by marking “Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"Washington said if he went down in battle, Greene was his choice to succeed him. Read this book and you will understand why." --Joseph J. Ellis, author of His Excellency: George Washington

He was an unlikely warrior--a Quaker with a pronounced limp, Nathanael Greene surprised fellow patriots by rising quickly to become George Washington's favorite soldier and heir appare...more
Published January 10th 2006 by Holt Paperbacks (first published November 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Washington's General, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Washington's General

Andrew Bolender
Most people do not know who Nathanael Greene was or the amount that he contributed to America's independence from Great Britain. He was one of Washington's generals, but was overshadowed by Horatio Gates and Henry Knox. Golway makes Greene very relatable to the reader as somebody who was truly human. He walked with a limp, but through hard work, rose through the ranks to become one of Washington's most trusted generals.

When looking at somebody like Nathanael Greene, it is important to discuss,...more
Overall, it was okay. I wanted to learn more about Greene and the Revolutionary War fought in the South, and I did. But the book left me a bit disappointed. It started out fine, but when I got to 1780 when Greene took over command of the army in the South, the writing style got very short and it read almost like a travelogue. (Greene went here and fought the British and retreated, Greene went there and fought the British and retreated, then the war ended and he died.) It made me wonder if a diff...more
Steven Peterson
Nathanael Greene was one of George Washington's most trusted subordinates. This book does a signal job in describing why this was the case and why Greene deserved this trust.

Greene was a most unlikely military leader. He was a complete amateur, coming into the military with very little martial background. He had a physical disability.

Early on, he made a major error in the New York campaign, leading to the loss of troops who could not be spared, when the fort that he had urged be defended fell-...more
Christian
Jan 09, 2008 Christian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those kicking back a lager at Natty Greene's
There's always a concern when a history or biography comes off as more 'popular' than academic, especially when the relative obscurity of the subject is such that there is no real demand for a popular history.

The issue here, though, is that its the relative obscurity of the subject matter, General Nathanael Greene, is itself a failing of the popular telling of the American Revolution. This in turn is due to the focus on the war in the North, with the typical focus on the South being exclusively...more
Wes A
An interesting look into a complex character's life. It would have been interesting to see what this competent, yet somewhat insecure, general would have added to the dialog which led to the formation if the federal union under the Constitution. Sadly, his untimely death cut short his contributions to post-revolutionary America (and the short legacy he did create, becoming a southern plantation and slave owner, put a bit of tarnish on his story).

Well worth the read!
Jessi
Wow! I think that's the first word that came to my mind after finishing this book. I was totally blown away by how great a read Washington's General was. The way Terry Golway wrote this great work about one of the generals of the Revolution really took me away. I knew who Nathaniel Greene was but after really reading about him I find that my lack of knowledge about this man to be depressing to say the least, how can it be that no one has ever really taught about him in any history class growing...more
North Landesman
Solid book. Good read, solid use of sources. Short and easy to read.
Bruce
Wonderful book about a forgotten hero of the American Revolution who sadly died too young. Had he
lived he probably would have been Secretary of War in Washington's first cabinet. Nathanael Greene took charge of the southern theater of the American Revolution when the British moved their
operations south. He never won a battle under his direct command, but the British victories were
pyrrhic indeed. He led General Cornwallis into the trap that Washington sprung on him at Yorktown.

Check this one out.
Ryan
Excellent non-fiction account of Greene’s contribution to the struggle for independence. He was truly a patriot whose efforts for the young country are immeasurable. The book was especially good at showing Washington’s trust in Greene, despite Greene’s lack of formal education or military training. Greene’s value and motivation came from his belief that people can achieve greatness by what they can work for and achieve, not because of titles or hereditary factors.
Peter
A great book about a great man whose life was cut short in the closing days of the Revolutionary War. After reading the book the only remaining question was "what if he had lived?" I'm sure if he had, he would have left an even more lasting impression on his country's early political beginnings. Extremely well written and engaging biography.
Angela
Jan 19, 2009 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: war buffs; folks who like war stories
Golway tends to state the obvious and repeat himself throughout the biography, but he organizes the content well and keeps it highly interesting overall. Greene, as portrayed by Golway, is compelling, admirable, and flawed. I learned a great deal - a good bit that surprised me - about the American War for Independence as I read.
Eliot
An excellent book which provides Greene's life in detail. especially his role in the Revolutionary War. His role was unknown to me prior to reading this role and he deserves a great deal of credit for the victory over England. A well=-written and well-researched book.
Josh
A solid book on another Revolutionary Character I didn't know a lot about besides his role in the Southern Campaign. I didn't realize how important his role as quartermaster was at the outset of the war and how well he did that job.
Barb
Nathaniel Green is much more important to our country's history than I realized, and a great man. Great history of the American Rev. and biography of an unusual man.
Taylor Kniphfer
A book of brilliant wit, narration, and information and an incredible biography of the most underated-yet certainly one of the best-generals of the American Revolution.
Kerry
Interesting for the American Revolution class I was taking but didn't impact me enough to recall enough to review. Perhaps I'll read again one day.
Colin
Every American should know the life of Nathanael Greene, the Rhode Islander without whom Washington could not have won the Revolution.
Greg Stallings
Excellent book about Nathanael Greene and the southern theatre of American Revolution. Hard to see how a writer could do any better!
Craig J.
Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution by Terry Golway (2006)
Chad Jones
This was a very interesting biography of a revolutionary war general that I did not know much about.
Meyersdaughter Hilton
The things I did not know about the American Revolutionary war!
A very readable book.
Lost In A Fog
A level deeper for me on the Revolutionary War...interesting sruff.
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Joseph Reyes
Joseph Reyes marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Pat Douglas
Pat Douglas marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Machine Made: Tammany Hall and the Creation of Modern American Politics For The Cause Of Liberty: A Thousand Years Of Ireland's Heroes So Others Might Live Irish Rebel: John Devoy and America's Fight for Ireland's Freedom Words that Ring Through Time: The Fifty Most Important Speeches in History and How they Changed Our World