Start by marking “Mrs. Wishy-Washy's Farm” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Wishy-Washy's Farm

Mrs. Wishy-Washy's Farm (Mrs. Wishy-Washy)

Uh-oh. Mrs. Wishy-Washy is at it again. Rubbing and scrubbing all the animals on the farm. But this time they aren't standing for it. Duck, Cow, and Pig are leaving mean old Mrs. Wishy-Washy for good!

They run away to the big city. But they get lost, wander into a restaurant, and even stumble into a hardware store and get covered in paint! Where is Mrs. Wishy-Washy when the
Published June 1st 2006 by Puffin Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Wishy-Washy's Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Wishy-Washy's Farm

Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninBarnyard Dance by Sandra BoyntonFooling Ewe by Mike DemersBig Red Barn by Margaret Wise BrownStar of Wonder by Paige W. Pendleton
Farmyard Fun
139 books — 61 voters
The Worst Best Friend by Alexis O'NeillFire Drill by Paul DuBois JacobsFirefighters! by Patricia HubbellThe Feel Good Book by Todd ParrClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen Cronin
Preschool-'F'
15 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Ashley M.
Oct 15, 2012 Ashley M. rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, health
This cute silly story is pleasing for young readers. The simple content and vocabulary is easy to understand and keeps the story flowing. The friendly animals are teaching the lesson through the story with the help of miss wishy washy that cleanliness is important. The text make this book a good learning tool for new readers when following along with the repetition of phrases that are depicted by pictures.

This story is fun yet hits on the topic of being clean. With a group of new students in a p
Salima Sikandar
Feb 16, 2014 Salima Sikandar rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
This cute silly story is written by Joy Colley and illustrated by Elizabeth Fuller. The story is all about Mrs. Whishy washy’s farm and about her animals. This story may be very pleasing to all the young readers because of simple content and its vocabulary that keeps easy flow of story. The story gives the message to the readers about cleanliness and its importance.
LEARNING EXTENSION
With a group of students, at least two teachers go in a play area and provide an opportunity for student to play
Tyffani Mine
Apr 07, 2014 Tyffani Mine rated it really liked it
This fiction book is about a cow, a pig, and a duck who venture outside of their owner Mrs. Wishy-Washy's farm into the nearby city. They discover that the city is much different from what they are used to and return to their home. This book has an abab rhyme scheme pattern that is consistent throughout the story. Not only could it be used to teach rhyme patterns and rhyming words, it is also useful for teaching about characters, setting, and making predictions or inferences about the characters ...more
Marianne Moseley
Apr 22, 2012 Marianne Moseley rated it liked it
Mrs. Wishy Washy has three farm animals who love rolling in the mud. The cow, pig, and duck have gotten all dirty. Mrs. Wishy Washy cleans them up in the bath tub and sends them back off onto the farm. They immediately go back and get in the mud. This story is great for early readers and entertaining to read to young children.

In the water table I would put an assortment of farm animals in there for the children to "bathe."
Elizabeth Mcdonough
Mrs. Wishy-Washy decides to give the animals on the farm a bath. Duck, Cow, and Pig are not happy about this, so they decide to run away for good!
The animals make it all the way to the big city. Everything looks unfamiliar to them. They stumble into a restaurant and a hardware store. Then they get taken to animal jail and Mrs. Wishy-Washy comes to their rescue. They realize that the farm isn't that bad at all.
Rachel Yingling
Mar 27, 2013 Rachel Yingling rated it it was amazing
This is a book that is easy to read and great for beginning readers. Its a fun story about Mrs. Wishy-Washy's farm and the animals on it need a bath. Three of the animals don't want to get a bath. They run away to get out of having to get a bath and find out that it's better to be at home with people you love. They decide they would rather be at home with Mrs. Wishy-Washy getting a bath then lost in the big city.
Kayla
Apr 26, 2015 Kayla rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I liked the use of poetry in this book. After reading the book it makes me think it might make for a good read aloud to my class. On the book the three animals from the farm run away. When they get to the city they realize it wasn't what they were hoping for and were sent to jail. Mrs. Wishy-Washy came and saved them. They were so happy to be home.
Helen
Dec 16, 2009 Helen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: childrensbooks
What a sweet story, told in rhyme about 3 farm animal friends who run away from the farm (because they don't like the baths that Mrs. Wishy Washy gives them) to the city - "the barns there are big!" They find the city is not really the place for them and are relieved to hear the chug chug chug of the old farm truck and realize they love Mrs. Wishy Washy afterall.
The Brothers
Feb 12, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Mrs. Wishy-Washy's farm animals do NOT like having to take baths. So they run away to the big city. There they encounter all sorts of unpleasant adventures and end up dirty and tired in animal jail. Mrs. Wishy-Washy comes to get them and at the end they are more than happy to get a bath.

Illustrations are a bit cartoony - but book is obviously for younger children.
Karelle Royal
Great book to teach about farm animals.
Art: Can make paper bag puppets of the animals.
Music: Can sing old McDonald and let the puppets perform. (I did the art& music extension and the students loved it).
Science: Can also be used to teach about the basic needs of farm animals & shows that they cant survive in a big city.
Can also teach order of events.

Wendy
Apr 22, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math, animals
This book could be used to teach fractions. Comparing the different animals and making fractions is a good way to get the students feeling comfortable using fractions. You could say, there are three animals on the cover of this book. What fraction of them have two ears? The response would be 2/3. There are many activities that could be done with a class having to do with making fractions.
Jennesy
Mrs. Wishy Washy's Farm is a great book for rhyming words and farm animals. Again, if I was doing a theme over farm animals, I would have this book available in my classroom library. Also, for young children, this would be a great book for animal noises. The cow goes... The pig goes... etc. I would use this for k-2.
Emily Pinnick
Feb 11, 2013 Emily Pinnick rated it it was amazing
This book is about three animals that hate getting a bath. After getting a bath, they decide to run away so they do not have to take any more baths. They end up getting really dirty as they travel through the town and end up wanting to be home on the farm with Mrs. Wishy-Washy. When Mrs. Wishy-Washy finds them, she takes them home and they gladly jump into the bath.
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-2, a27
AR Quiz No. 70618 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP

Mrs. Wishy-Washy runs a clean farm, even the animals get baths regularly. But the animals HATE taking a bath, and run away after refusing to get in the tub. This is good for sequencing. I really like this story.
Nicole Jacob
This book was not the best kids book that i have read. But I will say that the pictures were very god and kids would love to look at them. The book is an easy read. Its good for kids that struggle with reading. Would I recommended this book for kids to read I do not think I would. But the book is good at showing that your home will always be there for you even if you wonder away.
Savannah
A cute farm book about animals who think that the grass maybe greener on the other side. Can be used in the classroom to discuss the differences of rural and city life, farm animals, or how sometimes its just best to just do things you may not always want to do.
Dana
Jun 16, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think this is a wonderful book. It can help children learn about rhyming and see a variety of rhyming words. I also liked it that they didn't use any strange words just to make something rhyme or throw in something that didn't fit just to try and make it rhyme.
ROSALIE
Oct 15, 2008 ROSALIE rated it it was amazing
Three animals run away from the farm to the city, but find that they are happier where they live on the farm. A charming story, simple enough for very young children, and quite loveable for the older ones.
Kaylen Matherly
This book is repetitive, so children are able to read along in some parts as it is being read. The animals run off to the city in this book, but then they begin misssing Mrs. Wishy-Washy. They learn that there is no place like home.
Liz Todd
The animals are tired of all of that wishy-washy business so they run away. :)

Cute story. The kindies enjoyed it. We had fun predicting what would happen when the truck started rumbling up to the jail.
Michelle
Jun 17, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
The cow, pig, and duck get washed and then they want to leave the farm, so they go to the city. In the city they get really dirty and they don't like it at all. They decide to go back to the farm and then they are happy.
Jen
Jan 12, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Mrs. Wishy-Washy likes to wash her animals in her old tin tub. Cow, pig and duck don't like getting the baths, so they escape to the city where the barns just aren't the same! The animals learn there really is no place like home in this book.
Corey Harris
Mar 05, 2014 Corey Harris rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Mrs. Wishy-Washy rhymes with the animals' wines. The animals don't like her scrubby dubs all the time, so they leave to the city. realizing that they like being cleaner than the city the animals return home for some peace and baths. Great rhythm and rhymes fun for beginning readers.
Shelley
Feb 27, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, sequencing
This book is about animals who start off by getting a bath that they do not like. Then they end up going through alot and getting dirty. At the end they are so happy to get a bath. This book would be good for sequencing.
Ta'Mera
Cow, Pig, and Duck leave the farm for the and when they get in trouble Mrs. Wishy-Washy comes and saves them.
Ashlyn Barker
I feel rather neutral about this book; it was okay, but not great. The story is about 3 farm animals that run away to a city and cause lots of trouble in others' "barns".
Savannah
Jan 25, 2014 Savannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My 5 year old thought this book was pretty funny. I love hearing him laugh when he thinks a book is silly.
Leann
Oct 20, 2010 Leann rated it it was ok
I have stopped using this book in my classroom because of a few questionable phrases. The animals call Mrs. Wishy Washy "mean" and say they hate her. My 4 yr olds take great exception to this.
Amanda
Sep 09, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amanda by: endnotes of Farmer Cap by Jill Kalz
Shelves: kid-s-books
I am a huge fan of rhyming books for read-aloud and this one did not disappoint. Very fun story and I loved the illustration style where each page had a border. For some reason, made it better.
Staci
Oct 06, 2008 Staci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-alex
This is a cute rhyming story about a cow, pig and duck that run away and go to the city. Alex loves these sing-song stories. It helps him remember them so he can "read" them to me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • What Does Bunny See?: A Book of Colors and Flowers
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • My First Chinese New Year
  • The Zoo
Joy Cowley, a fiction writer for children and adults, was born in Levin and educated at Palmerston North GHS and Pharmacy College. She has been published so widely and to such acclaim that she received a Commemoration Medal in 1990, the OBE in 1992 for her services to children’s literature, the Margaret Mahy Award Lecture in 1993 and an honorary doctorate from Massey University in 1993. In 2004, ...more
More about Joy Cowley...

Mrs. Wishy-Washy (9 books)
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy