Start by marking “How to Raise a Jewish Dog” as Want to Read:
How to Raise a Jewish Dog

How to Raise a Jewish Dog

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Questions to Ask a Breeder: 1. What kind of job is this, growing dogs? 2. Are these dogs nice? I mean of course they are. But if not, is this refundable? 3. Is this a stable business? Do you make a decent living? 4. Does the insurance kill you or is it okay? 5. Dogs are animals ? does this mean you qualify for some kind of Federal ranch subsidies? 6. What do I say to peopl ...more
Published September 5th 2007 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise a Jewish Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise a Jewish Dog

Watership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteAnimal Farm by George OrwellInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Best Animal Themed Books
356th out of 472 books — 445 voters
Maggie's Kitchen Tails Dog Treat Recipes and Puppy Tales to Love by Rosemary "Mamie" AdkinsThe Other End of the Leash by Patricia B. McConnellMy First Dog by Teddy O'MalleyThe Perfect Companion - Understanding, Training and Bonding w... by Karen DavisonThe Dog Listener by Jan Fennell
Dog Care and Training Books
19th out of 62 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Reese
Jan 04, 2010 Reese rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
What? You expected a rating? A review maybe?
I joined Goodreads in August, and has anybody commented
on a review that I've written? Has anyone even
accidentally clicked "yes" as a response to
"Like this review?"?

So -- this is called "guilting the audience."
If you were never taught how to do this, read
HOW TO RAISE A JEWISH DOG -- but only if you want
to read it, okay? It's really not that important.
Cathy
Very silly. I think it would only work for people who are Jewish and have or have had dogs, or those who love those crazy folk (like me!). There are a lot of inside jokes that wouldn't make much sense to someone who doesn't know much about stereotypical Jewish culture. I enjoyed it and I'm sure it would also make my Catholic best friend laugh to see my behavior in the sarcastic but often too true descriptions. I was a little dismayed to recognize myself so frequently in the chapters.

The funnies
Very funny. I now know that I raised both my dogs Jewishly prior to reading the book. I love them like crazy and have never disciplined them at all, so that now they misbehave consistently, but boy, are they sweet. I do plead with them when they've done something wrong and employ situational martyrdom as needed. And I do rush them to the vet at every possible opportunity.
Judie
Jan 22, 2015 Judie rated it it was ok
A lot of dog owners consider their pets to be their children and talk about them as if they were. HOW TO RAISE A JEWISH DOG extends that idea and uses child raising techniques, with a lot more patience, understanding, and guild inducement, which goes both ways.
There are some very funny segments in the book. e.g., the charts creating new hybrids and telling the advantages of being raised Jewish. My favorites are the Havanese, Welsh corgi, Labrador retriever which becomes the Havane-gi-La and is
Arnie
Aug 07, 2015 Arnie rated it it was ok
What could have been a clever take off on the Monks of New Skete instead turned into a rather predictable book that used the usual Jewish stereotypes to create humor. Not that the stereotypes were offensive; they were actually fine. Just not terribly creative.
Cindy
Mar 30, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it
Laugh-out-loud silly. Will remind you of every neurotic you've ever known. (dogs, too)

"I'm telling you and you're not reading? Fine. Go ahead, don't read it. God forbid you should do anything on MY recommendation."
Lani
Dec 20, 2014 Lani rated it it was ok
Shelves: threw-it-back
Cute idea, but 175 pages of this? Made the joke in the first 10. One of the stack of free books still working through from Borders.
Rachel
Dec 30, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok
It had a few LOL moments, but it kinda felt like a joke that went on too long.
Myles
Mar 01, 2011 Myles rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
One-note book has one note.
Arjuna G
Jul 14, 2009 Arjuna G rated it liked it
Shelves: religion, humor
So, nu, I laughed!
Jillian
Jun 26, 2014 Jillian rated it really liked it
This book was super cute. I bought it for a friend who always says she wishes she was Jewish (and is also about to adopt a dog). I loved the parts about teaching your dog how to be judgmental, and guilt tripping. The pictures were funny too.
Roxanne
Sep 05, 2014 Roxanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: judaica
Tedious play on stereotypes. Doubt this would be of interest to anyone not both Jewish and dog-loving.
Cyndie
Feb 03, 2014 Cyndie rated it liked it
Shelves: own, non-fiction
The introductory section will make you think "wait, this book is supposed to be serious?" but no worries, it's not. This book was written as satire other training books especially the Monks of New Skeete dog training book. Occasionally makes references to things like dominance training and home cooking for dogs as if (not as a joke) these things are normally considered acceptable, which they're not - but as this is intended to be a joke book I think the consequences of that should be pretty limi ...more
Apr 10, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-group
A light hearted - not to be taken too seriously - guide to raising a Jewish dog. Very American in style and attitude, but fun
Suzanne
May 21, 2015 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fun book for dog lovers...a group of Rabbis in training train dogs on the side to be "Jewish Dogs". It's a short, easy read.
Donesia
Apr 14, 2009 Donesia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Donesia by: no one
I didn't get very far in this book. I read some pages and ended up putting it down and reading something else. From what I read, the book seemed interesting. I've read other books by Ellis Weiner that were funny and interesting and that was the reason why I selected this book. I was looking for more humor.
Karen
Apr 15, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
I received this book as a wedding present from a friend who knows my husband and me too well. As a self-proclaimed enthusiast of both dogs and Judaism, I found this book to be delightful.
vwool
May 29, 2008 vwool rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dog Lovers who have a sence of Humor
Recommended to vwool by: My Dad
This is a really fun book to dip in and out of. It really says more about the owners then the dogs but it still rings true.
Jeremy Schubert
Sep 29, 2007 Jeremy Schubert rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Carol and Jackie
I'm reading this book now. I think the authors may consider this as a 'serious' book. I find it 50% humor and 50% good ideas.
Lisa
Aug 07, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
This book had cute monologues, but I would not suggest raising a dog this way. I think it's a cute idea though.
Penelope Polins
Apr 05, 2014 Penelope Polins rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
I was so looking forward to this book's arrival, but sadly it wasn't nearly as funny as I hoped it would be.
711amanda
Mar 04, 2011 711amanda rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK EVER!!!! recommend read it for everyone who has a dog. or is jewish. or both. it is funny.
Mar 02, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Very cute book. It's very tongue-in-cheek, and worth the read. I was able to read through it in a day.
Dec 25, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: greatreads
Too funny! Especially if you grew up with Jewish family. But, only other dog-lovers/owners will appreciate!
Rabyne
Jul 16, 2013 Rabyne rated it really liked it
Funny commentary on Jewish parenting disguised in the form of a training manual for dogs.
Richard M Banton
Aug 31, 2015 Richard M Banton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was very funny! Quick reader - not deep but raises your spirits.
katie
Oct 16, 2008 katie rated it really liked it
i have been doing this all along. who knew?
Erica
Nov 29, 2008 Erica rated it it was amazing
This is a great gift book.
Kira
  • Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls
  • You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • Very Classy
  • Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining: America's Toughest Family Court Judge Speaks Out
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • Beyond the Pale
  • Dog Language
  • Born to Kvetch: Yiddish Language and Culture in All of Its Moods
  • Taming Your Gremlin: A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way
  • Fragile Species
  • Baking with Less Sugar: Recipes for Desserts Using Natural Sweeteners and Little-to-No White Sugar