Start by marking “How to Raise a Jewish Dog” as Want to Read:
How to Raise a Jewish Dog

How to Raise a Jewish Dog

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Questions to Ask a Breeder: 1. What kind of job is this, growing dogs? 2. Are these dogs nice? I mean of course they are. But if not, is this refundable? 3. Is this a stable business? Do you make a decent living? 4. Does the insurance kill you or is it okay? 5. Dogs are animals ? does this mean you qualify for some kind of Federal ranch subsidies? 6. What do I say to peopl ...more
Published September 5th 2007 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise a Jewish Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise a Jewish Dog

Watership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteAnimal Farm by George OrwellInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Best Animal Themed Books
305th out of 420 books — 410 voters
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
401st out of 628 books — 1,244 voters

More lists with this book...

Reese
What? You expected a rating? A review maybe?
I joined Goodreads in August, and has anybody commented
on a review that I've written? Has anyone even
accidentally clicked "yes" as a response to
"Like this review?"?

So -- this is called "guilting the audience."
If you were never taught how to do this, read
HOW TO RAISE A JEWISH DOG -- but only if you want
to read it, okay? It's really not that important.
Cathy
Very silly. I think it would only work for people who are Jewish and have or have had dogs, or those who love those crazy folk (like me!). There are a lot of inside jokes that wouldn't make much sense to someone who doesn't know much about stereotypical Jewish culture. I enjoyed it and I'm sure it would also make my Catholic best friend laugh to see my behavior in the sarcastic but often too true descriptions. I was a little dismayed to recognize myself so frequently in the chapters.

The funnies
Very funny. I now know that I raised both my dogs Jewishly prior to reading the book. I love them like crazy and have never disciplined them at all, so that now they misbehave consistently, but boy, are they sweet. I do plead with them when they've done something wrong and employ situational martyrdom as needed. And I do rush them to the vet at every possible opportunity.
Cindy
Laugh-out-loud silly. Will remind you of every neurotic you've ever known. (dogs, too)

"I'm telling you and you're not reading? Fine. Go ahead, don't read it. God forbid you should do anything on MY recommendation."
Myles
Mar 01, 2011 Myles rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
One-note book has one note.
Arjuna G
So, nu, I laughed!
Jillian
This book was super cute. I bought it for a friend who always says she wishes she was Jewish (and is also about to adopt a dog). I loved the parts about teaching your dog how to be judgmental, and guilt tripping. The pictures were funny too.
Lani
Sep 13, 2014 Lani rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
Cute idea, but 175 pages of this? Made the joke in the first 10. One of the stack of free books still working through from Borders.
Roxanne
Tedious play on stereotypes. Doubt this would be of interest to anyone not both Jewish and dog-loving.
Cyndie
The introductory section will make you think "wait, this book is supposed to be serious?" but no worries, it's not. This book was written as satire other training books especially the Monks of New Skeete dog training book. Occasionally makes references to things like dominance training and home cooking for dogs as if (not as a joke) these things are normally considered acceptable, which they're not - but as this is intended to be a joke book I think the consequences of that should be pretty limi ...more
A light hearted - not to be taken too seriously - guide to raising a Jewish dog. Very American in style and attitude, but fun
Mitro Pietro
Dec 23, 2008 Mitro Pietro rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks who grew up Jewish--you don't even need to be a dog owner
Some very funny stuff, but I found it to be a little repetitive after a while and did not feel compelled to finish it. Truth be told, I am not Jewish, nor have I ever owned a dog, so I may be missing out on some of the material. That said, the material appeared to be very metaphorical of a lot of stereotypes about Jews being neurotic and guilt-ridden (in a benign, Woody Allen sort of way). The naming chart for exotic Jewish dog breeds was a real highlight.
Donesia
Apr 14, 2009 Donesia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Donesia by: no one
I didn't get very far in this book. I read some pages and ended up putting it down and reading something else. From what I read, the book seemed interesting. I've read other books by Ellis Weiner that were funny and interesting and that was the reason why I selected this book. I was looking for more humor.
Karen
I received this book as a wedding present from a friend who knows my husband and me too well. As a self-proclaimed enthusiast of both dogs and Judaism, I found this book to be delightful.
vwool
May 29, 2008 vwool rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dog Lovers who have a sence of Humor
Recommended to vwool by: My Dad
This is a really fun book to dip in and out of. It really says more about the owners then the dogs but it still rings true.
Jeremy Schubert
Sep 29, 2007 Jeremy Schubert rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Carol and Jackie
I'm reading this book now. I think the authors may consider this as a 'serious' book. I find it 50% humor and 50% good ideas.
Lisa
This book had cute monologues, but I would not suggest raising a dog this way. I think it's a cute idea though.
711amanda
BEST BOOK EVER!!!! recommend read it for everyone who has a dog. or is jewish. or both. it is funny.
Very cute book. It's very tongue-in-cheek, and worth the read. I was able to read through it in a day.
Too funny! Especially if you grew up with Jewish family. But, only other dog-lovers/owners will appreciate!
Rabyne
Funny commentary on Jewish parenting disguised in the form of a training manual for dogs.
katie
i have been doing this all along. who knew?
Erica
This is a great gift book.
Kira
  • Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls
  • The Best American Science Writing 2006
  • What's My Name, Fool?: Sports and Resistance in the United States
  • The Wolf in the Parlor: The Eternal Connection between Humans and Dogs
  • Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining: America's Toughest Family Court Judge Speaks Out
  • Very Classy
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • Beyond the Pale
  • You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
  • Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty
  • Two Cents Plain: My Brooklyn Boyhood
  • I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: Life, The Big Lebowski, and What Have You
  • 40 Watts from Nowhere : A Journey into Pirate Radio
The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1) Yiddish with Dick and Jane National Lampoon's Doon The Templeton Twins Make a Scene (Templeton Twins, #2) Letters from Cicely