Start by marking “The Present” as Want to Read:
The Present

The Present

The carefully wrapped present was perched half-hidden on his parents' closet shelf. Arthur, a little boy with a very large imagination, feverishly tried to guess what it might contain. A pet? A shiny trumpet? A new computer? The possibilities were almost endless. All for him and him alone—until the doorbell interrupted his reverie. What happened next is a remarkable and ...more
Published September 29th 2010 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Present, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Present

Thanks by Kobi YamadaThe Twylight Tower by Karen HarperSon by Lois LowryOut of the Easy by Ruta SepetysTaken by Kelli Maine
35th out of 87 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianna
Dec 15, 2010 Dianna rated it liked it
A boy sees a gift at the top of his parents' closet and knows it's for his birthday. He spends the whole book imagining what can be in the box. Then a lady comes soliciting toy donations for poor children and he gives her the unwrapped gift. I wanted to love it—the message of unselfishness. But the ending was so sudden that it just didn't work for me, and it certainly didn't work for my son, who obviously wanted to see the box opened. Also one of the illustrations was pixellated, ugh. On the up ...more
Anna
Jan 18, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
Title: The Present by Bob Gill
Summary: After seeing a hidden present a boy wonders what it could be.
Age: 4-6 years
Rating: Maybe
Pros: The illustrations are bold and graphic with a judicious use of color.
The story is innocent and imaginative; the boy imagines his gift as a boat, a birthday cake, a kite and a Japanese lantern.
Cons: The story is poorly paced; with a middle that is too long and an ending that is too quick. The main character imagines his present to be 24 different things and on
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 18, 2011 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it liked it
In this book, a boy named Arthur sees a present wrapped in the top of the closet. He spends the entire book imagining all the different things that could be in the box. Then, quite suddenly at the end, someone comes to the door collecting toys for the homeless. Arthur goes and gets the box, and gives it away.

I wanted to like this book because of the selflessness message, but it was not well written. The ending was sudden and the story was under developed. Plus, my son did not understand why the
Stefani
Dec 28, 2010 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
A boy finds a hidden wrapped present, suspecting it's for his birthday. While waiting, he tries to guess what is inside. Many are good guesses, while some are just outrageous. In the end, he realizes it's better to give than receive.

This would be a fun read for storytime; while it's a birthday present, the idea still works for Christmas (or the wording could be changed in the reading).

My only concerns is that it seems fairly long; there are just too many possibilities. Also, I want to know wha
Joan Marie
Nov 27, 2016 Joan Marie rated it liked it
Arthur finds a present in his parents' closet and wonders if it's his birthday present which his mother always ties with a red ribbon. With each passing day, he imagines what the gift might be. finally on his birthday a lady knocks on the door, collecting gifts for kids in need, he run to the closet and gets the present for the lady.
Erin
Apr 23, 2011 Erin rated it did not like it
Yeah. This book is totally unrealistic. A kid wonders about his birthday present for weeks when he sees it wrapped up in the closet. Then when the big day finally comes, he gives it away without even openning it to someone collecting donated toys? No way.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Very charming story about a boy who imagines what his present might be but ultimately donates the present without ever knowing what it is.
Nicole
Nov 15, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_book
I thought this was a decent book, though nothing extraordinary - following a boys imaginings of what could be in the present box in his parents' closet - but then the ending won my heart.
Nikki
May 15, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing
I feel like I've read this before? Maybe one of my friend's gifts to her grandson? Don't know, but I liked it a lot.
Quizmo
Quizmo rated it it was ok
May 22, 2015
Boulton
Boulton rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2010
Patty
Patty rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Amanda Hamilton
Amanda Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2011
Julia H.
Julia H. rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Fatima
Fatima rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Kapila
Jan 08, 2011 Kapila rated it really liked it
Altruism. Sharing. A bit different this book, considering there are no pictures of Arthur...
Alisha
Alisha rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Meghan Nels
Meghan Nels rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Gabe
Gabe rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2011
Thea Nicholas
Thea Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2010
Monika
Monika rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2011
Ecl  Storytellers
Ecl Storytellers rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Yara
Yara rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2010
Randall
Randall rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Vivian
Vivian rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2011