Start by marking “Other Goose: Re-Nurseried!! and Re-Rhymed!! Childrens Classics” as Want to Read:
Other Goose: Re-Nurseried!! and Re-Rhymed!! Childrens Classics

Other Goose: Re-Nurseried!! and Re-Rhymed!! Childrens Classics

It's Humpty Dumpty, Little Bo Peep, Jack Be Nimble, Miss Muffet, Little Boy Blue, and more, like you've never seen them before! Renowned artist J.otto Seibold re-nursuries and re-rhymes over the Mother Goose classics in this must-have collection. Featuring recurring characters and an ending that brings everyone back for a showstopping finale, this book is the most fun dear ...more
Published September 22nd 2010 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Other Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Other Goose

Tracy Poff
I wanted to like this, but the poetry is very weak. The poetry is changed just for the sake of change--the new versions aren't always clever, either intrinsically or as parodies on the originals. The 're-rhyming' seems to have spoiled some perfectly good rhymes and left poorly rhymed poems with no rhythm to speak of. For example:

Why sing a song of sixpence?
That money doesn't make sense.
And who puts blackbirds in a pie?
I really have to wonder why.

Compared to the original:

Sing a song of sixpence,
A
Sarah W
Seibold also wrote and illustrated Olive the Other Reindeer. Seibold used spray-painted backgrounds for the first time in Other Goose. Other Goose pens an introduction correcting some 'facts' on Mother Goose and laying out the book's premise.

In the first rhyme, Humpty Dumpty goes to the mall. Instead of breaking himself, he breaks a shoe. Another rhyme is turned into "Jack B. Nimble, the name did stick. Over the candle, over the wick, Jack be famous for this trick."

New word of the day: clarinete
Sarah BT
Mar 09, 2011 Sarah BT rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm a big fan of J. Otto Seibold's Olive, the Other Reindeer, so I knew I had to get my hands on this one!

The artwork is typical Seibold-quirky cuttouts that almost look like mosaics with odd characters and places. The pictures are bright and colorful and fun to look at.

The rhymes on the other hand were a little lacking. I think I was hoping for something more along the lines of Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith's Squids Will Be Squids and The Stinky Cheese Man. Some of the rhymes are cute, but not a
Nick
Nov 21, 2010 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
A clever idea, but the execution is only okay. It's certainly not as good as Scieszka's "Stinky Cheese Man."
Because the opening makes a big deal about rhyming, it's very disappointing that the rhymes are so bad, with such "on paper" rhymes as "again" and "bargain" that will confuse kids about the nature of a rhyme.

"Simon" and "rhyming"...not even "rhymin'", which would haev worked. Forced rhymes like "tuba" and "Aruba" further weaken the book...how many kids will know or care where Aruba is?

The
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Seibold would like us to forget Mother Goose, her rhymes are out-dated and she's not even a real goose (gasp!). So, with help from Other Goose, an actual goose, readers are presented with modern, quirky, re-rhymed poems. The presentation of the text and graphics are bright, big, and busy...which I find fun but I can see it being over-stimulating for some.

Fun book!
Melissa
Jan 06, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
This is just not my book. The art doesn't appeal to me & I think the rhymes are kind of lame. Saved from one star because the bad pun in Hickory Dickory Clock made me smile:

Hickory Dickory Clock
The mice ran up in a flock
The clock struck one;

Author: J.Otto Seibold
Genre: Book of Nursery Rhymes
Theme(s): Nonsense, Humor, Parody
Opening line/sentence: Part One
Humpty Dumpty wasn’t that tall.
Brief Book SummaryProfessional Recommendation/Review #1: (Hornbook) 80 pp. Chronicle 2010. ISBN 978-0-8118-6882-2
(4) K-3 From Jack and Jill and Bill (a pickle wearing a jaunty hat) to Little Miss Muffet (pronounced Muf-fay), Seibold tweaks the Mother Goose classics. The results vary
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
Nov 23, 2010 Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries) rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This review first appeared on my blog: http://jewelknits.blogspot.com/2010/1...

I was lucky enough to win this book as part of a children's book prize package from Debbie's World of Books. Before I could get the books catalogued and put away for Christmas presents for the Grandbebes, Bebe Boy James saw them. AND he took two of them for himself, including this one!

BUT the grandbebes were all visiting yesterday, and they wanted Gigi Storytime, so James brought this book out for us. Grandbebes' ages
Kristi Betts
Jul 23, 2013 Kristi Betts rated it it was amazing
At first this book kind of turned me off because I so love the original nursery rhymes, but as I got further into the book I found I was intrigued by the re-rhyming of these classics. I have enjoyed sharing other books by J. Otto Seibold with my students and their families, including Olive the Other Reindeer and Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf to name a few, but I was reluctant to share this book because so many of my students did not know the original rhymes. I believe the children would love this ...more
Erin Feller
personal reflection:
I love this book because it takes a fresh spin on classic mother goose rhymes. The rhymes are silly and simple and I think children would really enjoy them. The illustrations are also very modern and have a nonsense feel to them yet are able to depict the plot of the poem.
Purpose:
read aloud for 1st-3rd graders
I would use this anthology of rhymes when talking about mother goose and lyric poems. I could also see this book being a favorite for DEAR or independent reading tim
Cortny Green
Sep 03, 2015 Cortny Green rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The Other Goose creates a new spin on old classics. Jack and Jill ( and Bill) is a good example of a twist on a classic.

In the classroom you can use this GA standard :ELAGSEKRL9: With prompting and support, compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in familiar stories.

Since this poem book is a spin on old classics, you can read for an example, Jack and Jill and then read Jack and Jill ( and Bill). You can ask your students to get into groups or hold a big discussion. In
Sam Ott
Oct 11, 2015 Sam Ott rated it really liked it
Other Goose: Re-Nurseried!! and Re-Rhymed!! Children's Classics by J. Otto Seibold, published 2010.
Genre: Nonfiction Nursery Rhymes
Format: Picture Book
Plot Summary: This book is a riff on the traditional Mother Goose rhymes and has many of the classics with a twist and full page, dynamic illustrations.
Considerations: If a child is easily scared this book utilizes monsters and scary images in its illustrations.
Review Citations: Publisher's Weekly October 2010.
Selection Source: Best Children's
Jenny
The illustrations are very busy and bright...not my personal favorite but their tone matches the tone of these new renditions of traditional Mother Goose rhymes. They are definitely NOT what you remember. For example, here is Jack Splat.

Jack Splat paints abstract.
His wife paints country scenes.
Together they fill the canvas up
And live the life serene.

Or Here is

But where is the boy
In charge of the
David
Sep 28, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
This was a very fast read except for needing to stop and remind the lad of the nursery rhymes or reciting the ones he didn't know so he would get the jokes, then I would watch his face light up. The Grand Finale was a fun romp through each of the segments in a single picture on two pages.

The artwork is bold, colorful and seems to blast the words into the room as the pages are turned.

Sure, a seven year old boy has probably outgrown picture books, and so has his grandpa, but this is a very funny
paula
Oct 08, 2010 paula rated it really liked it
J. otto S., he of the duck-lipped ducks and airbrushed Day-Glo backgrounds, has found himself a Bob stick, so to speak, and, after an exhausting, obstacle-filled chase involving a cart full of chickens and a couple rolling racks of fur coats and a big pane of glass, has caught up to Mother Goose at the bottom of Lombard Street and just GONE to TOWN on the kindly old hag. Tickled her senseless with that big ol' Bob stick.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Franny
This book has a wonderful concept and amazing illustrations, but the rhymes themselves left me disappointed. It's as if the author couldn't decide whether to keep the nursery rhymes close to the original or make them completely distinctive. For instance, "Jack Be Nimble" becomes "Jack B. Nimble":
Jack B. Nimble,
the name did stick.
Over the candle,
over the wick,
Jack be famous
for this trick.

I wish the author would have reworked the rhymes more. But at least in this example, the rhyme sounded right.
Amy Adams
Jan 06, 2014 Amy Adams rated it it was amazing
This would be a great book to use when teaching kids about rewriting and updating stories. If using it for storytime, I'd probably pick a few stories or sections instead of trying to get through the whole thing in one go. Maybe spread it out over a few days. It'd also be fun to use for compare-contrast lessons, when paired with a more traditional Mother Goose collection.
Overall, the illustrations are excellent and the stories are funny!
Nancy Jo Lambert
I like the format of this book, and several of the remixed fairy tales were good. The illustrations are very bright and vivid, but some of the tales lacked. I think that for the younger set, they will enjoy the book, but may not get all the nuances.

Really fun, but certainly the child must have a fairly good background knowledge of fairy tales before really being able to enjoy this one.
Megan
Jun 29, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2nd-5th graders
Favorite nursery rhymes that have been "re-nurseried" and "re-rhymed" and illusted by Seibold. Made me smile quite a few times. Best to share aloud with a class and then let students re-read on their own to really enjoy the illustrations.
Kim
Jun 04, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Fun to read to my six year old. We both laughed at its silliness and enjoyed the illustrations. I recommend this to kids who are already familiar with the original nursery rhymes, as its twice as funny when you read these version.
Michelle
I just couldn't get into this one. I do like the end when all the rhymes are compiled into a "1-2, buckle my shoe" rhyme, but the rest of the book falls short for me. The illustrations remind me of Ren and Stimpy, and I really dislike that show, so maybe it's all in my head. 2 stars.
Lucia
Dec 08, 2010 Lucia rated it really liked it
This is a comical variation of the Mother Goose poems. At first glance I thought the illustrations were a bit much, but they are fun as you read the poems. however, I fear they would not be good for children with sensory issues as they are over-stimulating
Joenna
Nov 20, 2010 Joenna rated it it was amazing
Nursery Rhymes with fun twists for older students. I.e.- "Of Egg and Accidents. Fried, Tried and Justified!

Probably not the best for read-aloud but rather for an older student to sit and read. Great illustrations too.
Jen
Oct 16, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
These were pretty hilarious, but you would need familiarity with how the poems originally go to enjoy it. The illustrations are modern and busy, almost in an abstract pablo picasso way with distorted features and angles. Very bright book.
Michelle
Mar 23, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The rhymes were clever, but the illustrations were a little to weird for my taste. Bo Peep kind of looked like a crack addict.
Hillary Steckler
Feb 24, 2013 Hillary Steckler rated it really liked it
This is a pretty fun nursery rhyme book. The illustrations are modern and eye catching and the poems themselves are cute, funny and all around good for kids.
Kaethe
I enjoyed Seibold's art as much as ever, but the poems didn't really grab me. I certainly can't imagine any of them becoming popular on their own.

Library copy
Oct 03, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This will be lots of fun for students who know nursery rhymes. For those who don't... they will need to learn the originals before finding the joy in these! Great artwork. Lots to look at!
Donalyn
Mother Goose gets a modern update with catchy new rhymes and J. Otto Seibold's outlandish illustrations.
Paula
Feb 27, 2013 Paula rated it liked it
The mother goose Rhymes done a little different
« previous 1 3 4 next »