Start by marking “To Every Thing There Is A Season” as Want to Read:
To Every Thing There Is A Season

To Every Thing There Is A Season

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In this exquisite book -- the fortieth picture book the couple has worked on together -- Leo and Diane Dillon's breathtaking paintings accompany verses from the Book of Ecclesiastes. Simple yet profound, the inspiring words and pictures make this the perfect gift choice for birthdays, weddings, religious celebrations, and times of mourning. Each passage in the book is acco ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about To Every Thing There Is A Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Every Thing There Is A Season

Samantha Heare
In this wonderfully illustrated picture book, one is taken on a visual journey through the cultures of the world to the words of the King James Version of the Bible – the Book of Ecclesiastes, Chapters III, verses 1-8 followed by Chapter I, verse 4. The wonderful pictures encompass the words and illustrate cultures of old and today from around the word. It is a simple, yet wondrous picture book that truly exhibits that there is a time for everything. It includes a wonderful explanation of the il ...more
Janet
Definately what I refer to as an "adult picture book". It is a truly beautiful illustration of the often quoted biblical text from the Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes. Each two page spread is illustrated in a "time period or cultural" motif from history--Middle Ages in Europe, pre-conquest Mexico, etc. The three pages giving a brief description of each two page spread are informative and a good addition to the book.
Katie
An interesting experiment, mixing the famous verses from Ecclesiastes with art inspired by ancient art around the world.

Some of the topics and their illustrations are a bit intense for young children -- don't let that scare you away from the conversations they could inspire, but do be prepared for tough observations or questions.
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 5/2/12)

This is going to sound bad, I'm well aware, but isn't this book - and others like it - just a rip-off? Or are the pretty pictures enough to make it it's own? For me it's a rip-off. If I wanted to read these words I'd find them where most know them to be. The Beatles song. Duh.
I don't get the whole 'rewrite it with a tiny, little, unique spin' and I'm a genius bit.
Call me pessimistic. (I'm sure a few hardcore lovers of this book will call me far worse.)
So.. Julia sai
Lisa Vegan
Jan 30, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Well, the whole time I was reading this I was singing the song Turn, Turn, Turn by The Byrds. I’m no more fond of killing, war, hating, losing after reading this book/poem. The “to kill” here was a poor choice of illustration I though, but the rest were okay enough depictions. Peace was my favorite page.

The illustrations themselves are very interesting. What I like best about them is that the people on the various pages represent different cultures and times, and highlight the universality of th
Amanda
This is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read, mostly because it's adapted from one of the most beautiful books in the Bible. The pictures are gorgeous. They reflect a variety of cultures and traditions.
Jackie
To EveryThing There is a Season by the Dillons is the exquistely illustrated book of Ecclesiastes which portrays the age old adage that everything, everyone has a purpose at the right time.
Becky Birtha
Using the words from Ecclesiastes as a text, collaborative illustrators Leo and Diane Dillon have created an amazing and unique picture book, in which each line is illustrated with a two page spread of art in the style of a different culture, much of it from ancient times. All five continents are represented, with styles as varied as stone-cut art by Inuit people, traditional aboriginal bark painting, woodcuts from Europe in the middle ages, Chinese silk painting, and pages from Ethiopian books ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
The cover does not do the book justice. Each spread is an homage to a different historical art style.
Shasta
A lovely way to look at the words from Ecclesiastes 3 using ancient art from cultures around the world
Randi Rezendes
Pictures from different cultures are a great approach.
Marsha
Taking the famous verses from Ecclesiastes as inspiration, the Dillons have created a masterpiece of illustration, adapting the unique styles of very different cultures and ages to match the Biblical verses. The result shows the Dillons at the top of their form. When you see something like this, you realize that nothing is beyond them and that they deserve their accolades. From The Book of Kells to a vision of the Earth as seen from space, To Everything There Is a Season is nothing less than a w ...more
Juliette
I chose this book from the library because I enjoyed reading the verses from Ecclisiastes.
This is an amazing book filled with the artwork from many diffrent cultures including (but not limited to) Ireland, Japan, North America, Greek, Ethiopia, Australia. With descriptions in the back of the different illustrations, their origin, style and medium. This would be a fantastic book for art teachers to use in thier classroom, keeping in mind the Bible verses and the school policy on religion.
Betsy
This could work as a mini textbook for art appreciation. Every spread is done in a completely different cultural tradition from ancient Egyptian murals to Japanese woodblocks to Australian aboriginal bark paintings to...

Notes at end explain inspiration and sources for the different spread. A unified and orderly layout to illustrations and text unite the book despite the disparate styles in the illustrations.

A wonderful approach to this timeless--and universal--Biblical text!
Jean L.
A lovely pictorial retelling of Ecclesiastes. Every church library should have a copy, and everyone, whether or not a Christian, would appreciate its beauty and inclusiveness. I love the work of Leo and Diane Dillon and mourn Leo Dillon's passing. Another Dillon highlight! (check out "Pish, Posh, Heironymous Bosch", "The People Could Fly", and the lovely covers of Garth Nix's "Abhorsen" trilogy for more examples of the Dillons' work).
Mike Violano
Leo and Diane Dillon are master artists who have enriched children's literature with more than 40 wonderful titles. To Every Thing There is a Season illustrates the verses of Ecclesiates with beautifully rendered art of different world cultures-- China, Japan, Egypt, India, Middle Eastern and pictures in aboriginal, Eskimo, Pueblo and Mayan styles.
This book consists of the Book of Ecclesiastes, Chapter III, verses I-8, followed by Chapter I, verse 4, as seen in the King James Version of the Bible. The text is accompanied by beautiful illustrations of a wide variety of people and cultures from all over the world, and throughout history.
Zack Rock
Forgive me if I'm a sucker for an exceptionally illustrated version of a passage from one of my favorite books of the Bible. The Dillons render each couplet from the famed passage in differing styles from the history of art, an experiment that pays off thanks to their massive talents.
Anna
I enjoyed this book, it presents the selection from Ecclesiastes which relates that everything in life has its own time and season. The illustrations are pretty diverse they depict different civilizations, throughout history, from around the world.
LeAnne
The contrasting times of the verses are portrayed in a rich variety of cultures, including India, Egypt and Ethiopia.
Gorgeous.
Emily
I've always like this scripture. The verses are set to pictures from all around the world. Fun to look at.
Megan
Each set of facing pages is illustrated in the traditional style of a different country. Beautiful.
Mckinley
Every verse from the Book of Ecclesiaste has a painting from different cultures and times. Lovely.
Jeanne
Traditional imagery from many cultures is used to illustrate the verses from Ecclesiastes.
Eliza
This is in my TOP 5 of all time favorite Children's books.
Gloria Green
The illustrations are simply wonderful.......
Bridgid
Beautiful art from many cultures.
Cyndi
BEAUTIFUL!
Chi Hoang
Chi Hoang marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Rap A Tap Tap Jazz on a Saturday Night Mother Goose: Numbers on the Loose East O' the Sun, West O' the Moon The Girl Who Dreamed Only Geese: And Other Tales of the Far North