Start by marking “To Every Thing There Is A Season” as Want to Read:
To Every Thing There Is A Season

To Every Thing There Is A Season

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In this exquisite book -- the fortieth picture book the couple has worked on together -- Leo and Diane Dillon's breathtaking paintings accompany verses from the Book of Ecclesiastes. Simple yet profound, the inspiring words and pictures make this the perfect gift choice for birthdays, weddings, religious celebrations, and times of mourning. Each passage in the book is acco ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about To Every Thing There Is A Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Every Thing There Is A Season

Mitchell
I like the idea. And the cover was wonderful. But the book itself was just meh. Was it interesting? sure. But was it my idea of either a children's book or an art book? no.
Samantha Heare
Jul 20, 2011 Samantha Heare rated it it was amazing
In this wonderfully illustrated picture book, one is taken on a visual journey through the cultures of the world to the words of the King James Version of the Bible – the Book of Ecclesiastes, Chapters III, verses 1-8 followed by Chapter I, verse 4. The wonderful pictures encompass the words and illustrate cultures of old and today from around the word. It is a simple, yet wondrous picture book that truly exhibits that there is a time for everything. It includes a wonderful explanation of the il ...more
Janet
Feb 19, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Definately what I refer to as an "adult picture book". It is a truly beautiful illustration of the often quoted biblical text from the Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes. Each two page spread is illustrated in a "time period or cultural" motif from history--Middle Ages in Europe, pre-conquest Mexico, etc. The three pages giving a brief description of each two page spread are informative and a good addition to the book.
Savanna Grace
This book was so cool! It used the section from Ecclesiastes 3 about there being a time for everything. With every line, there was a picture from a different culture to go with it. At the end it described all of the artwork, where they came from, and the media by which they were created. It's a good book for discovering different cultures around the world.
Robin
Oct 22, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-history, art
An amazing tour de force -- of artistic styles from the Egyptians, to ancient China and art in Mayan style, red and black figure Greek art (like vase painting), Persian art, medieval European wood block prints, and many more styles and cultures.

illustrates these verses from Ecclesiastes.
A visual delight.
(want to own this one!)
Katie
Oct 11, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
An interesting experiment, mixing the famous verses from Ecclesiastes with art inspired by ancient art around the world.

Some of the topics and their illustrations are a bit intense for young children -- don't let that scare you away from the conversations they could inspire, but do be prepared for tough observations or questions.
Julia Jasztal
Jan 08, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it it was ok
(Mommy's review from 5/2/12)

This is going to sound bad, I'm well aware, but isn't this book - and others like it - just a rip-off? Or are the pretty pictures enough to make it it's own? For me it's a rip-off. If I wanted to read these words I'd find them where most know them to be. The Beatles song. Duh.
I don't get the whole 'rewrite it with a tiny, little, unique spin' and I'm a genius bit.
Call me pessimistic. (I'm sure a few hardcore lovers of this book will call me far worse.)
So.. Julia sai
Lisa Vegan
Jan 30, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Well, the whole time I was reading this I was singing the song Turn, Turn, Turn by The Byrds. I’m no more fond of killing, war, hating, losing after reading this book/poem. The “to kill” here was a poor choice of illustration I though, but the rest were okay enough depictions. Peace was my favorite page.

The illustrations themselves are very interesting. What I like best about them is that the people on the various pages represent different cultures and times, and highlight the universality of th
Amanda
Aug 02, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, religion
This is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read, mostly because it's adapted from one of the most beautiful books in the Bible. The pictures are gorgeous. They reflect a variety of cultures and traditions.
Jackie
Dec 29, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it
To EveryThing There is a Season by the Dillons is the exquistely illustrated book of Ecclesiastes which portrays the age old adage that everything, everyone has a purpose at the right time.
Becky Birtha
Jun 04, 2011 Becky Birtha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Using the words from Ecclesiastes as a text, collaborative illustrators Leo and Diane Dillon have created an amazing and unique picture book, in which each line is illustrated with a two page spread of art in the style of a different culture, much of it from ancient times. All five continents are represented, with styles as varied as stone-cut art by Inuit people, traditional aboriginal bark painting, woodcuts from Europe in the middle ages, Chinese silk painting, and pages from Ethiopian books ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Mar 31, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
The cover does not do the book justice. Each spread is an homage to a different historical art style.
Shasta
Jan 16, 2015 Shasta rated it it was amazing
A lovely way to look at the words from Ecclesiastes 3 using ancient art from cultures around the world
Randi Rezendes
Dec 06, 2014 Randi Rezendes rated it really liked it
Pictures from different cultures are a great approach.
Marsha
Taking the famous verses from Ecclesiastes as inspiration, the Dillons have created a masterpiece of illustration, adapting the unique styles of very different cultures and ages to match the Biblical verses. The result shows the Dillons at the top of their form. When you see something like this, you realize that nothing is beyond them and that they deserve their accolades. From The Book of Kells to a vision of the Earth as seen from space, To Everything There Is a Season is nothing less than a w ...more
Juliette
Apr 27, 2009 Juliette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I chose this book from the library because I enjoyed reading the verses from Ecclisiastes.
This is an amazing book filled with the artwork from many diffrent cultures including (but not limited to) Ireland, Japan, North America, Greek, Ethiopia, Australia. With descriptions in the back of the different illustrations, their origin, style and medium. This would be a fantastic book for art teachers to use in thier classroom, keeping in mind the Bible verses and the school policy on religion.
Betsy
Jun 24, 2013 Betsy rated it it was amazing
This could work as a mini textbook for art appreciation. Every spread is done in a completely different cultural tradition from ancient Egyptian murals to Japanese woodblocks to Australian aboriginal bark paintings to...

Notes at end explain inspiration and sources for the different spread. A unified and orderly layout to illustrations and text unite the book despite the disparate styles in the illustrations.

A wonderful approach to this timeless--and universal--Biblical text!
Jean L.
Nov 15, 2013 Jean L. rated it really liked it
A lovely pictorial retelling of Ecclesiastes. Every church library should have a copy, and everyone, whether or not a Christian, would appreciate its beauty and inclusiveness. I love the work of Leo and Diane Dillon and mourn Leo Dillon's passing. Another Dillon highlight! (check out "Pish, Posh, Heironymous Bosch", "The People Could Fly", and the lovely covers of Garth Nix's "Abhorsen" trilogy for more examples of the Dillons' work).
Mike Violano
Leo and Diane Dillon are master artists who have enriched children's literature with more than 40 wonderful titles. To Every Thing There is a Season illustrates the verses of Ecclesiates with beautifully rendered art of different world cultures-- China, Japan, Egypt, India, Middle Eastern and pictures in aboriginal, Eskimo, Pueblo and Mayan styles.
The Brothers
Mar 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
This book quotes from one of my favorite biblical passages (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8). With each section the author and illustrator use a different art style, drawing from cultures and histories all over the world. It's an awesome book - loved it!

Excellent illustrations - so neat to see so many different styles in one book.
This book consists of the Book of Ecclesiastes, Chapter III, verses I-8, followed by Chapter I, verse 4, as seen in the King James Version of the Bible. The text is accompanied by beautiful illustrations of a wide variety of people and cultures from all over the world, and throughout history.
Zack Rock
Jul 15, 2010 Zack Rock rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-children-s
Forgive me if I'm a sucker for an exceptionally illustrated version of a passage from one of my favorite books of the Bible. The Dillons render each couplet from the famed passage in differing styles from the history of art, an experiment that pays off thanks to their massive talents.
Marmot
Jan 14, 2016 Marmot rated it really liked it
I loved the concept the illustrators used, with each page spread being a different style used by a different culture throughout history. The text was straight out of the bible, so isn't something I would normally go for, but this is a book to check out fur the illustrations.
Anna
Nov 25, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it presents the selection from Ecclesiastes which relates that everything in life has its own time and season. The illustrations are pretty diverse they depict different civilizations, throughout history, from around the world.
LeAnne
Mar 07, 2016 LeAnne rated it it was amazing
The contrasting times of the verses are portrayed in a rich variety of cultures, including India, Egypt and Ethiopia.
Gorgeous.
Emily
Feb 02, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
I've always like this scripture. The verses are set to pictures from all around the world. Fun to look at.
Megan
Nov 11, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Each set of facing pages is illustrated in the traditional style of a different country. Beautiful.
Mckinley
Dec 18, 2013 Mckinley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, picture, poetry, art
Every verse from the Book of Ecclesiaste has a painting from different cultures and times. Lovely.
Jeanne
Jan 17, 2011 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Traditional imagery from many cultures is used to illustrate the verses from Ecclesiastes.
Eliza
Feb 11, 2008 Eliza rated it it was amazing
This is in my TOP 5 of all time favorite Children's books.
  • As Good as Anybody