Start by marking “Assam and Darjeeling” as Want to Read:
Assam and Darjeeling
Open Preview read book

Assam and Darjeeling

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When their mother is lost in a terrible car crash, two children set out to bring her back from the Underworld -- a nightmare place populated by remnants from old mythologies, defunct pantheons, and forgotten folklore.

Along the way, the children discover that they cannot rescue their mother without rescuing themselves first.

Sometimes frightening, sometimes funny, and ofte
Paperback, First Softcover Edition, 402 pages
Published April 28th 2010 by Aurohn Press (first published April 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Assam and Darjeeling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assam and Darjeeling

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenThe Alchemy of Forever by Avery WilliamsAbandon by Meg CabotAll These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
YA Books That Start With the Letter A
176th out of 211 books — 64 voters
Geek Love by Katherine DunnLamb by Christopher MooreThe Contortionist's Handbook by Craig ClevengerA Dirty Job by Christopher MooreInvisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
Best Books You've Never Heard Of
174th out of 593 books — 569 voters

More lists with this book...

Booneyhead
I won this book here on Goodreads, otherwise, I don't think i would have read it. But I am glad I did! I did not know what to expect but it was certainly not this! You never will be prepared for what comes next and you will fall in love with the characters! The way the book is written, it is hard to put it in any category. It has a bit for every interest. From young adult to mythology...from drama to humor...You should read this book..it is not a waste of your time!
Dona
I loved this book! It was such a wonderful tale of two sibling's journey through the underworld to save their mother. The story is beautifully told with so many wonderful characters! I especially loved the interactions between the brother and sister. TM Camp is a wonderful author with a bright future ahead of him. I recommend this book to people all the time.
Bonnie
A wonderful and poignant read. T. M. Camp has a great imagination that translates well into the story of loss and the journey that the protagonists must make to find closure. This author is one to watch. He's got storytelling chops.
Sarah Beth
I won this novel (a signed copy!) as a first reads giveaway on Goodreads. The novel blew me away with its creativity. It tells the story of two children who must venture into the Underworld to find their mother after all three are badly injured in a car wreck. The novel is a skillful blend of Greek mythology and Alice in Wonderland/Chronicles of Narnia type journey. The children, who dare not reveal their real names, go by Assam and Darjeeling. Along the way, they have tea with Persophone, escap ...more
Julie Davis
#51 - 2010.

If there is any justice in this world, then this book will become a classic. I was enchanted by it when listening to T.M. Camp's audio version on iTunes (want a sample? go listen.)

Picking up the published version, I was afraid that the story wouldn't hold up to what I remembered. I need not have feared. The printed version is superior, in fact, because the eye can linger over the beautifully written phrases, which add a depth that the ear doesn't convey in quite the same way.

A master
Alessandra
Melanie Fair
Warning to everyone: It's a thick read. Small font, larger than usual size. Just a warning.
I'm sure other people would enjoy it, but I had difficulties. Such as... I couldn't tell how old the kids were again. Sometimes they seemed barely old enough to talk, sometimes their thinking was like a teenager's... And I got to around Chapter Eight and still didn't know their names. So, yeah, not my cup o' tea, but thanks for the free book, Mr. Camp, and I'll be sure to send it along to someone who would
Amy-chan
The first podiobook I ever listened to, this story holds a special place in my heart. It's amazingly well written, and held my attention through all four books. I recommend this one to everyone I meet.
Jason
Great book that has something for everyone - comedy, adventure, and drama. This one does not end like you think it will.
Jeffrey Hite
I really enjoyed this book in podcast format, and I look forward to exploring it's depths again in in hard copy.
Cecilia
This book is definitely in my top ten. And that is saying something.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This is a case of "don't judge a book by its cover". Having read the book, I understand the significance of the pomegrant, but it makes for a rather unattractive cover. If I kept reading the summary, and not seeing the cover, I might have read this a long time ago.

The story itself is well worth a read. It is sad, sombre and serious, and yet humour still shows through in some spots. This humour mostly shows during the interactions between the siblings.

The book starts with a boy and girl who aren'
Patrick
Jan 09, 2012 Patrick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Patrick by: Julie Davis
You have to think well of an author who acknowledges his debts to Dante Alighieri and the Brothers Grimm. While it is true that "Assam and Darjeeling" is suffused with those literary spirits, not to mention L. Frank Baum, "Touched by an Angel," and a Greek myth or two, the quest at its heart is also an original and perceptive look at relationships, especially relationships between brothers and sisters.

T.M. Camp takes his time revealing the true names of the children who give themselves improvis
Mandy
Wonderful book. Serious, mysterious, sad, and then magical, playful, funny...The story is all these things and more. Wandering through the Underworld in search of their mother, a brother and young sister stumble upon bizarre characters, some with gentle words of wisdom, and many with evil intentions. Some are reminiscent of old mythologies and fairy tales and are all too real in the siblings' Underworld quest. The story also has a strong anchor in the real world and is very believable. I definit ...more
Tanya Eby
When I first started reading this, I explained it is a luminous nightmare, and I think that's still the best way to describe this book. It takes the reader on a journey through the underworld with a brother and sister, and we meet dark and twisted characters. It's a story of fears and loss and redemption. The writing disappears when you read it and you see the scenes in your mind. I thought this was a great adventure, at once dark and sad and compelling. A haunting read.
Peachey B
Overall an okay read - Alice in Wonderland meets the movie version of Richard Matheson's What Dreams May Come. In fact, the more I read this book, the more the elements reminded me of the movie. Had it seemed more original, I may have given it 4 stars.
Randolph Carter
Outstanding book that ranks up with the best work of Neil Gaiman. Deserves to be more widely known. Check out the iTunes podcast feed if you need a taste before you buy.
Lenny
What a beautiful,wondrous story. More review to come...
Beautiful and poignant.
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Karissaford
Karissaford marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Britta
Britta marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Elizabeth Collins
Elizabeth Collins marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Bee
Bee marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
  • The Realms Thereunder (The Ancient Earth, #1)
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • The Arm Of The Stone (The Stone Duology, #1)
  • Weather Child (The Awakened)
  • Court of Dreams
  • The Lost Book of Mala R.
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Pilgrim of the Sky
  • The Last Man on Earth Club
  • Sequence
  • Dreams of the Compass Rose
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Under My Roof
  • The Bread We Eat in Dreams
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #1)
  • The Hidden Institute (Noblesse Oblige, #1)
  • God's Eye
  • Inside the Outside
As a child, T.M. Camp spent most of his time in a dreamworld. These days, he spends most of his time trying to get other people to join him there.

He is the author of the novels "Assam & Darjeeling", "Matters of Mortology", "The Cradle", and the forthcoming "The Red Boy".

T.M. lives in Michigan with his excellent, lovely wife and an indeterminate number of cats and children of variable age and i
More about T.M. Camp...