Start by marking “Death in Springtime” as Want to Read:
Death in Springtime

Death in Springtime (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery #3)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Two foreign girls are abducted from a Florence piazza in broad daylight. The unusual March snowfall has distracted everyone, even Marshal Guarnaccia, who is unsure of what he has actually witnessed. One of the girls turns up in a village in the Chianti, claiming the kidnappers have released her to propose a ransom for the other victim. But the marshal thinks she’s lying. I ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Soho Crime (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Springtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in Springtime

Annabelle
The cover says it is a Marshal Guarnaccia investigation, Marshal doesn’t show up until the middle of the book, and the Brigadier is the main character. It has an Italian feel, the writing style that is, straightforward, even visceral, pragmatic about the machismo of officials, and sleight of hand strategy to get things done. A U.S. young woman is missing, and what opens up is intrigue of cocaine sells, Sicilian shepherd mafias relocated to the mainland. It is pretty good complication, and there ...more
Lisa
Lately I have read a number of half-backed, poorly written mysteries. I was beginning to despair that I would never find another decent detective story. One of the problems with current mysteries is that they too often rely on a gimmick, ones often involving setting, transplanted characters from famous books, hobbies, another time period or cats. If one was to go by current mystery trends one could conclude that every other well bred Georgian woman, including the great Miss Austen and her belove ...more
Joyce Lagow
3rd in the Marshal Guarnaccia series.[return][return]A young American student is kidnapped in broad daylight in March, during an unusual snowstorm that so distracts the Florentines that the Marshal can not find anyone who witnessed the crime. The kidnapped woman s friend, another foreign student, is released with a message for the victim s parents. Because kidnapping is practically an industry with the Sardinians who occupy the hills surrounding Florence, the carabinieri are well-versed in hosta ...more
LJ
DEATH IN SPRINGTIME (Pol. Proc.-Captain Maestrangelo-Italy-Cont) – G+
Nabb, Magdalen – 3rd in series
Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1983, US Hardcover ISBN: 0684181339

First Sentence: “It can’t be.”

It is the first of March and snowing in Florence. This is such an unusual event, no one notice two college woman being kidnapped at gunpoint. One of the girls is released but the second, the daughter of a wealthy American business, is still being held.

Although Marshal Guarnaccia does what he can to help, it i
Library-KAT
I just didn't comprehend the ending of this book.

There was a kidnapping of two young women, one was let go with the note the other kept hostage.

There were drug related deaths and a murder...all interrelated, but the Family connection wasn't delved into enough, nor was the ending satisfying.....

This book fell quite short.
Monica
This is the third Magdalen Nabb book and I have to say that each one I read gets better and better. I like her writing style, the way she is able to spin so much out of so little. The plot of “Death in Springtime” is a simple one, a kidnapping in the hills around Florence, however Nabb is able to bring about a solution in a way that is unique from other mystery writers.

It’s interesting that Nabb’s mystery series is still called “The Marshal Guarnaccia Mysteries” since in these first three books
Desiree
Nabb's books evoke a strong image of Tuscany and Florence. This episode of the Marshal Guarnaccia series is about a kidnapping of a young American student.
I like the way the books are written, the interaction between the "Marshal" and the "Captain".
Not a traditional whodunnit but more a scenic description of Tuscan Pastoral life and Florence.
Peter
When I read a mystery, I like to find books that have a strong sense of place, interesting characters, and of course a good puzzle of a mystery to solve.

While the author does a great job of evoking Florence, I just could not sustain an interest in the story.

Also, the characters were often referred to by their rank, instead of by name, such as 'the Marshal, or the Captain'. Probably a minor point, but I found it a bit impersonal for the majority of the characters to only be referred to in this
Petra Willemse
Like all of Nabb's mysteries, you get a fantastic sense of place from her writing. I love the details of Florence she includes and the feeling the reader gets that the city is as much of a character as the Marshal himself. As part of her series about the Marshal, this wasn't the strongest of the bunch, but it kept me reading and interested right to the end. A must read for anyone who has been to Florence or is planning a trip there.
Naomi
This series continues to be good but not great. It is a quick read, but didn't stand out really as memorable. I need to read this for an upcoming review, but feel that I can head into that review without finishing the series. This series is not strongly character driven and focuses more on the mystery rather than relationship development. On a side note they are incredibly quick reads.
Elaine H
Another kidnapping in Florence. We meet the smoking Substitute Prosecutor Virgilio Fussari, a Milanese.
" 'I'll pick you up at one.' 'But...you haven't a car...?' 'Never use it-unless my registrar drives. Driving interferes with my smoking.' " 23
April
A compact atmospheric mystery set in Florence and the surrounding countryside. Biggest disappointment-the eccentric, wonderful Marshal character made brief appearances in this third installment and I missed him.
Mikee
A very sweet little mystery. Good character development. Good feeling for the Florentine countryside.
Sharron
Marshall Guarnaccia is a great character and how can you fail to like a book set in Florence.
baxter baxter
Italian mystery set in Florence, cool tone.
Will
Mystery/crime set in Florence, Italy.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Goran Remborg
Goran Remborg marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Hstrait
Hstrait marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Onconerka
Onconerka marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
David C.
David C. marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Cate
Cate marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • End Games (Aurelio Zen, #11)
  • Blackman's Coffin (Sam Blackman, #1)
  • Hard Rain
  • The House Sitter (Peter Diamond, #8)
  • The Smell of the Night (Inspector Montalbano, #6)
  • The Titian Committee (Jonathan Argyll, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
MAGDALEN NABB was born in Lancashire in 1947 and trained as a potter. In 1975 she abandoned pottery, sold her home and her car, and came to Florence with her son, knowing nobody and speaking no Italian. She has lived there ever since, and pursues a dual career as crime writer and children's author.

She has written fourteen crime novels featuring Marshal Guarnaccia of the carabinieri, all set in Flo
More about Magdalen Nabb...

Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Death of an Englishman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Dutchman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #2)
  • Death in Autumn (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #4)
  • The Marshal and the Murderer (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #5)
  • The Marshal and the Madwoman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #6)
  • The Marshal's Own Case (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #7)
  • The Marshal Makes His Report (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #8)
  • The Marshal at the Villa Torrini
  • The Monster of Florence
  • Property of Blood
Death of an Englishman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #1) The Marshal and the Madwoman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #6) Vita Nuova Death of a Dutchman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #2) Property of Blood