Start by marking “Rapture in Death” as Want to Read:
Rapture in Death

Rapture in Death (In Death #4)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  25,385 ratings  ·  841 reviews
Each murder victim died smiling. The only one who isn't grinning is New York Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas--because she's got to find out why.
Published October 1st 1996 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Rapture in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapture in Death

“I'm sorry. It's hard for me. I do love you," she said quietly. "Sometimes it scares me because you're the first. And the only"
He held her there until he was sure he could speak, then eased her back, looked into her eyes "You've changed my life. Become my life." He touched his lips to hers, let the kiss deepen slowly, silkily. "I need you”

I fucking love Roarke.

“She raised her eyes to his. They had both come from misery, she thought, and survived it. They had been drawn together through viole
Duchess Nicole
I loved it, I loved it, I loved it!!!

I was afraid that the romance of the series would slow down now that Eve and Roarke are permanent, but that was sooooooo not the case!!!! If anything, there was an extra dynamic between them that was almost missing before. I suppose it mirrors real life in a way. Marriage is only the beginning of a crazy ass ride. There are higher highs and lower lows than you even knew existed.

“I'm sorry. It's Hard for me. I do love you," she said quietly. "Sometimes it sc
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Still great but lucked some of the spark of the first 3!

Review to come... maybe!
2.5 Stars

Love all the scenes with Roarke and Eve and the deepening of their bond. Though, I do wish Eve would give just a little more affection and acknowledgement to Roarke. Peabody and Feeny are as always a great support team, and Peabody just cracks me up!

This is the second time in a row where I guessed the killer very early on and it's a little frustrating to go through the whole book with Eve (view spoiler)
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
View on Under the Covers

Starting off with a sexy pic of Roarke again...because I can.

RAPTURE IN DEATH is by far my favourite of the entire series and that’s quite a statement since I loved all the books leading up to this one. There was just something about this book that lured me in from the get-go. In this one, Eve Dallas is happy for a change. This is not to say that she was morbid and depressing in the previous books, but there’s this spark within her that I noticed right away. She’s a w
Okay. So. This is the fourth In Death book. I still absolutely love the series but this one just didn't appeal to me as much as the previous three. Sure, it had its funny parts but I still thought it was a tad bit boring. Which really pisses me off! I just thought that it was really slow, and there were lots of random cases (for example the bombing at the bank) that seemed unnecessary to the story. I guess, all in all, they weren't unnecessary, but they seemed a little bit like filler sections a ...more

Eve keeps getting questioned about her honeymoon; Mavis is recording a studio album; Roarke is handing away orgasms like nobody’s business and four people with nothing in common are DEAD.

The mystery is the most predictable mystery to end all predictable mysteries since that Cold Case episode where the Butler did it.

Roarke is the most fictional romantic leading man ever written, and I know you guys love him for that but I just can't get over it.

Eve rocks as a character, but even she couldn't sav
Tilly Slaton

Roarke and Eve’s honeymoon is cut short by the “self-termination” of one of Roarke’s employees. Mavis catches a break in show business. Odd suicides nudge at Eve, leaving her the only one to believe that there is indeed a connection.

Roarke adores Mavis. She is Eve’s best friend, a loved one to cherish. Hosting parties, exploring investment possibilities, Roarke really will keep you smiling in this book.

Mood altering music and virtual games. Roarke and Eve find themselves in a more than usual exp
Good book in the In Death series. I always enjoy seeing more of Roarke and I love when he calls his wife "My Darling Eve". I was a little shocked at what Roarke did in one of the scenes but it wasn't his fault. Very good book!
Jane Lee
This book annoyed me to no end. Don't get me wrong. I love the In Death series as much as I love chocolate ice cream, and I do, so badly. However, this book just disappointed me.

I get the whole subliminal mood/mind control mumbo jumbo. Heck, I even get the machines used to control the mind but this book was just too...ugh. Eve was a disappointment as I expected better from her, or maybe that's just because I've read more than my share of In Death series books (ahead of this one).

I expected her t
Another great episode in the "In Death" series. Lt Eve Dallas is bothered by a number of unrelated suicides, one a young technician working in one of Roarke's new off-planet resorts where he whisks Eve for the last week of her honeymoon. None of the victims were depressed or thought likely to suicide by friends and family and all were smiling when found. Eve is convinced there is a common link and sets out to find it.

Lots of romance and hot sex in this episode as Roarke and Eve settle in to marr
This one is becoming one of my favourites. I love the whole idea of mind control or should I say protection from mind control. As I listened to this one two things stood out: How I can see echoes of Fantasy in Death issues pop up ie lots of gaming and role playing potential . Ahead of her time once again, JD Robb tapped into what was then the infancy of RPGs.
My other observation is how young Susan Erickson sounds. Her "Eve" giggles occasional and has a much more "feminine" sound than in her late
Lots of great moments in this one as well...The infamous mind-control scene, the "Oh, I love you!" moment, and of course, Eve's run to save Roarke from the evil VR goggles. Eve's discomfort with people asking about her honeymoon is so amusing(: Will re-read Chaos and Celebrity next in preparation for the release of Delusion tomorrow!(:
***re-read 9/14***Festive In Death will be coming out soon. How cool is that!?! I'm sure I re-read this more often than I update this review. More moments...Scary,

*3,5 stars*

Even though I guessed who the killer was early in the story, this one is my fav in the series so far. I didn't round up my rating because as it is the case for all the books in this series so far the end was too rushed and it's really getting frustrating.

That being said, gotta love Roarke! <3<3<3
Lisa Kay
Man-oh-man! This series is good - and just keeps getting better. Susan Ericksen does an excellent job of narrating this one. Glad I decided to re-read this series via audiobook. ...more
4.8 "Mind Controlling" Stars

When I read the blurb, found out this was about Virtual Reality, I was siked. I've always been interested in it. I remember watching a movie about VR and dreams back in the early 80's. It fascinated me but scared the crap outta me as well!!

I think this was outstanding. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was somewhat confusing when reading all about the brain. Freaky too. I mean, be able to control someone's moods & actions seems way far out there. Loved it though.

P.A. Lupton

I feel like I’m repeating the same thing after I read each new book in this series: This was my favorite so far. I loved Rapture In Death. I love Eve. I love Roarke. I even love Mavis and Peabody and all the secondary characters. But mostly, I love Roarke (sorry, it warrants repeating). Again, I chose to listen to the audio version of the book—Karen Erikson is perfect reading this series. She does a fantastic job with her inflection, accents, and overall is just amazing at drawing me into the st
İlginç bir kurgu, içimdeki hisler ise gayet doğru. Beyni etkileyen özel bir teknoloji ile kurbanlar intihar etmeye başlıyorlar. En başta bütün olaylar intihar gibi görünse de Eve bit yeniğini seziyor ve eşmeye başlıyor. Neredeyse Roarke ve kendisi de ölümün eşiğine geliyor. Ve bir yerden sonra artık katil sırıtmaya başlıyor. Tam bir sosyopat daha.
Love this book - it's a fun one (excluding the murders of course). Good character development happening with this one - we learn more about Feeney, Peabody, and of course Mavis - especially when she shares a moment with Eve reminescing about the early days of their friendship.

5 Stars and 2 thumbs up!
Connie N.
#4 in the In Death series

I listened to the audiobook, very capably read by Susan Ericksen. I'm totally in love with this series. Eve Dallas is a strong, tough, even rigid cop. But her intense feelings of love and respect for Roarke, Mavis, and even Feeney and Peabody, soften her and make her extremely likable and approachable. Roarke (read with such a sexy Irish accent by Ericksen) is also strong and in charge, but he's very romantic and sweet. Mavis would probably drive me crazy in real life wi
Edee Fallon
Wow! Another great addition to this fantastic series. I fall more in love with Eve and Roarke with every book. On to book five!
Aly is so frigging bored

Damn.. I am so hooked!
This was, IMO, the weakest of the first four books in the series. It started rather slow, dragging its feet, it picked up pace only somewhere in the middle, once again slowed down, and rushed to the finish in those last few pages.

The biggest problem with me was the “lack of romance” between Eve and Roarke. What there was of it seemed lackluster compared to the previous books. Sure, they’re a married couple now, but that doesn’t mean romance is dead, now, does it?

The second problem was the predic
Jacob Proffitt
I found myself annoyed in the first quarter of this book, though I'm not sure exactly why. I think it's because I dislike the premise behind controlling someone (even to the point of self-destruction) by some kind of brain manipulation. Towards the middle, I found myself annoyed because everybody seemed to be stuck on despair as the sole motivator for suicide—even in the face of direct evidence to the contrary. By the mid-point (or shortly thereafter), my annoyances faded and I finished on a rel ...more

After a rather horrendous period in RL which ended in me finishing this audiobook in the A&E dept of my local hospital last night, I've come to the conclusion that JD Robb's In Death series are now my comfort reads.

I'm slowly, but steadily, making my way through the audiobook versions and am waiting for Concealed in Death to be released at even though it's #38 and I'm only at #4.

THE STORY: A reviewer remarked on the formulaic nature
Rapture in Death by J.D.Robb is the 4th book in the In Death series. Eve and Rourke are enjoying their honeymoon off planet at one of Rourke's resorts when they are called to a suicide. When Eve is called to another suicide soon after returning to work, she senses a connection and investigates further. Another brilliant book and terrific thriller. I love the interactions between Eve and Rourke and their deep affection for each other and their friends. I am totally hooked on this series.
*4+ Stars*

When I started the audio of this I heaved a great big sigh of relief and joy. Oh goodie, a narrator who adds to the telling of the story!! And gives the characters depth and personality! What a wonderful experience! I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks where the narrator has a nice voice, but does a completely flat reading and adds absolutely nothing to the telling of the story. That is not what you get with this one!

I love Eve and Roarke! It was great to see the depth of Eve's e
4.5 stars.

Hmm, this is how I'm going to rate In Death series. Personal plot and professional plot. There is the hotness btwn Eve & Roarke and then Eve as a cop.

I'm impressed with murder case. This crime was harder to figure out than the previous cases. OK, I had the wrong person pinned. Eve hitting walls after walls was frustrating, very convincing and reinterated what a dedicated cop she is.

On "personal" plot, I love all the characters involved in Eve's life. Let's not even go into how goo
I finished reading this book a couple of hours ago and it’s already wiped from my memory. There was space travel and video games. Maybe. The culprit was my second guess. As for the mental fuckery that happened here, oh boy.

I don’t know if it’s because of the format or by choice but, although Roberts has great ideas but she never fully explores them. Everything was wrapped a bit too easily and quickly because the author tried to keep the secret until the final pages. I’m hoping Roarke’s involunt
21 August 2014: $1.99 on Kindle - The first four books are on sale for $1.99 each.

I've read up through book 12 (there are almost 40? stories in this series now), and I have some serious issues with Eve (the MC) and even occasionally with Roarke (hides from mobs with pitchforks)

....I should review these are some point.

But this is a hugely popular series, and I admit that the futuristic world is pretty well done. The mysteries are sometimes really good, sometimes not so good.
J.D. Robb : Rapture In Death (Spoiler Zone) 31 102 May 27, 2015 06:24AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Rapture In Death (Sept. 2013) SPOILER ZONE 407 93 Nov 06, 2014 03:04PM
recommendations. 23 69 Aug 16, 2014 07:54AM
Readers of Kindle...: Rapture in Death #4 14 22 Mar 08, 2012 12:32PM
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Hot Rocks
  • Crazy Cool (Steele Street, #2)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Stars & Stripes (Cut & Run, #6)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Hades
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“Eve: "She had big plans for me. Kind of a pet, I imagine. Like William. Her little trained dog. And with you dead, she figured I'd inherit all your goodies. You're not going to do that to me are you?"
Roarke: "What, die?"
Eve: "Leave me all this stuff."
Roarke: "Only you would be annoyed by that.”
“I'm still picking pockets--I just do it as legally as I can. Being married to a cop limits certain activities.” 36 likes