Start by marking “Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #1 & #3)” as Want to Read:
Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #1 & #3)
Preview

Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #1 & #3)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Two of Maud Hart Lovelace's beloved Deep Valley books join the Harper Perennial Modern Classics library, next to other enduring favorites like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, To Kill a Mockingbird and Lovelace's Betsy-Tacy books. This beautiful combination edition of Carney's House Party and Winona's Pony Cart features a foreword by author Melissa Wiley and a never-before-publis ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart

steph
Initial read: June 2011, re-read March 2012, May 2014

Review May 2014: I love Carney. I forget with these Deep Valley books how much I like Carney because I'm so wrapped up in Betsy's world that it's hard to relate to anyone else. But then I take a break and read this one and read about Carney and her insecurities and her feelings regarding Larry and then Sam, who really is a lovable baby hippo and how Carney is figuring out herself at the same time as these two guys are in the picture and it's w
Phoebe
Set just before Carney's junior year at Vassar, this first novel in this 2-story book features members of the Crowd and their adventures from a perspective other than Betsy's. Carney hosts a two-week-long house party, with the usual high spirits and capers. Carney, however, is nervous about seeing her long-time beau/pen pal Larry Humphries, who is coming back to Deep Valley for a visit, and worries that her college roommate Isobel, visiting from the East, will not fit in. And Sam Hutchinson is i ...more
Marcy Wynhoff
OK I got this as a end of chemo celebration book. Being the fan I am of Betsy/Tacy I had never read the other books feeling I might be a traitor to Betsy!! Oh Dear. Every bit as good. A few little old fashioned sexist stuff in Carney's House party, but totally wonderful writing and a great story. Winona?? All I can say is: Kindred Spirit! Am now moving on to Emily of Deep Valley. I'm in Heaven.
Hannah
Carney's House Party: This story was so sweet, and I really enjoyed reading it! I still love the Betsy-Tacy series the most, but this was an excellent addition to the Deep Valley books. I'm glad Lovelace fleshed out Carney even more in this book, and the notes at the back (about how much of this story was inspired by Lovelace's real-life friends) was one of my favorite parts of the book.

Winona's Pony Cary: While this book was fun, it lacked the charm of the earlier Betsy-Tacy books. It was a swe
Christine Marie
Aug 15, 2012 Christine Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Little House, Anne of Green Gables, Classics, Children's, turn-of-the-century fans
Recommended to Christine by: Heather Vogel Frederick
I received a copy of this book from my friend, because our local library does not have this book and I really didn't want to have to order it online. I am extremely grateful that she was able to get me a copy.

What a wonderful continuation of the adventures of Betsy and Tacy.

Let me start with Carney's House Party: What a sweet book! Very enjoyable and another satisfying Betsy-Tacy. I mean, if you want to know more, just look at my reviews for the Betsy-Tacy books because they really had the same
Laura Kilmartin
Audrey
Florinda
Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy-Tacy books were among my favorites as a child and young teen, and I was thrilled when the four high-school Betsy-Tacy novels and two "adult Betsy" stories were re-issued in 2009 as two-in-one volumes. However, Lovelace also wrote a couple of "spinoff" novels featuring characters introduced in those books, and those have always been harder to find. Harper Perennial has now reissued those as well, in editions that match last year's reprints and including new forewords an ...more
Forever Young Adult
Talky Talk: Disposable and Classic MLH
Bonus Factors: Special Features, The World Wide Web, Woman's College, New Adult
Anti-bonus Factors: Replacement Kitten Syndrome, Lazy Illustrations
Relationship Status: Reunion Run-In

Read the full book report here.
This was a bit weird to read - the Carney part takes place when the characters are all in college, while the Winona part takes place years earlier. In each, Betsy Root makes an appearance (in Winona, Tacy and Tib also appear), but these aren't part of the Betsy-Tacy canon.

Readers will enjoy this look at early-1900s Vassar and Minnesota - it's not "historical fiction" because the author lived through those times, and it reads as an unforced look back. The customs, costumes, traditions and differe
Lovelace revisits some of the favorite side characters in these two novels. In the first, Carney, home from Vassar, has a lengthy house party that reunites Bonnie, Carney, Winona, Betsy along with a Vassar friend and the various male characters we met in earlier books. The book revolves around the impending visit of Hugh, Carney's old flame, and her interest in a new boy in town.

"Winona's Pony" is a cute story of Winona's eighth birthday where her mother is surprised by extra guests that Winona
Jasmine
Two fun books about some of the other characters in the Betsy-Tacy books. Carney's House Party is set after high school, and in between Betsy and Joe and Betsy and the Great World, while Winona's Pony Cart is set during childhood. Carney's House Party is the more interesting book; lots of interesting stuff about Carney and a great window on Betsy. It's fun to see Betsy through the eyes of someone else in the Crowd, and gives more detail about why Carney ended up with who she ended up with. I als ...more
Abby
Because we all want to fall in love with a "baby hippo." Ha.
laaaaames
I read these while on the road while in need of comfort books, and they were EXACTLY what I needed. Deep Valley is one of my favorite fictional (well, sort of) places to spend time.

Also, like Jasmine said, it was awesome seeing Betsy from other POVs, especially Carney's.

OMG I ONLY HAVE ONE DEEP VALLEY BOOK LEFT.

(read: 44 and 45)
Liz
So much fun.

It was a blast to slip back to the Crowd's younger days, but Carney's House Party was the real draw for me. I loved seeing some of the college life at the time and how that influenced Carney's view of life at home. Plus, Sam the baby hippo!
Book Club Girl
Two of Maud Hart Lovelace's Deep Valley books, that feature characters from her beloved Betsy-Tacy series, these books focus on Carney during the summer between her freshman and sophomore year at Vassar College and on Winona, in her younger years.
Teri
Both stories were good. I enjoyed Carney's House Party the most. Really loved it! Winona's Pony Cart is a cute little story about a a little 8 yr old's birthday party.
Molly
Oh, how I heart these books. I just know Maude Hart Lovelace and I would have been BFFs (but doesn't every reader think that?)
Tammy
Didn't want it to end!
Especially loved all the extra "goodies" about the real people behind the characters.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Sweetly written book with a frame of reference of days gone by- nice for a young adult but bored me silly!
Meredith Henning
I think I liked this one even better than Emily of Deep Valley, but they are close runners :)
Paula
Winona's Pony Cart was a hit with the 7 year old girl
Stephanie Lucianovic
Loved these hard-to-find stories.
Michelle
Jan 10, 2011 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: autographed
Got a copy at ALA, autographed foreward
Judio
Judio marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
  • Once On This Island (Mackinac Island Trilogy, #1)
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • Long May She Reign (The President's Daughter, #4)
  • Two Are Better Than One
  • Gardenias
  • Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse (Sue Barton, #6)
  • An Infamous Marriage
  • Silver (Sarabeth, #1)
  • The Borrowed House (Young Adult Bookshelf Series)
  • The Magic Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Edition #1)
  • Tituba of Salem Village
  • Mother
  • The Betsy-Tacy Companion: A Biography of Maud Hart Lovelace
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
  • Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse (Cherry Ames, #4)
  • The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
  • Old Jules
  • Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2)
Maud Hart Lovelace was born on April 25, 1892, in Mankato, Minnesota. She was the middle of three children born to Thomas and Stella (Palmer) Hart. Her sister, Kathleen, was three years older, and her other sister, Helen, was six years younger. “That dear family" was the model for the fictional Ray family.

Maud’s birthplace was a small house on a hilly residential street several blocks above Mankat
More about Maud Hart Lovelace...
Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1) Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2) Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3) Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4) Heaven to Betsy (Betsy-Tacy, #5)