Start by marking “Times of Contempt (The Witcher Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Times of Contempt

Andrzej Sapkowski

Times of Contempt (Saga o Wiedźminie #4)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  9,768 ratings  ·  181 reviews
Geralt was always going to stand out, with his white hair and piercing eyes, his cynicism and lack of respect for authority ...but he is far more than just a striking-looking man. He's a witcher; his sorcerous powers, enhanced by elixirs and long training, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer; his targets are the vile f ...more
Published April 2011 (first published 1995)

Reg
Disappointing.

What I like about the Witcher/Sapkowski books - particularly Last Wish - is the moral ambiguity of it all. Geralt hunts monsters but he doesn't do it thoughtlessly and he will admit that the monsters are in fact endangered species that he is helping along the path to extinction. Geralt, the mutant, is the exception, the noble savage giving contrast to the rest of rude humanity who are terrible, ignorant racists toward the elves, dwarves etc, who, in turn, don't help their case by
Vladimir Vasquez
A medida que la intriga política y la guerra avanzan en la historia, Geralt, es cada vez menos el protagonista. Si en el libro anterior veíamos como la historia se orientaba mas hacia Ciri, en este libro esto es mas acentuado.

Ahora entiendo cuando leía que esta novela era una fantasía mas madura, pero ¿eso significa que se abandona al héroe con la espada para favorecer la intriga política? No sé si me guste ese cambio.

Pero no voy a decir que Geralt no ve acción, sí tiene su cuota, y una cuota mu
Sara
Anche questo volume della serie non ha una fine quindi riconfermo la teoria secondo la quale ogni libro è solo un pezzetto di una storia unica. Spero almeno che l'ultimo libro (La signora del lago) abbia una conclusione altrimenti mi arrabbio >_<
Proseguono le avventure, o meglio disavventure, di Geralt, Ciri e Yennefer sullo sfondo di una guerra e intrighi politici e altrettanto prosegue il mio apprezzamento per questa serie e per i personaggi.
Se devo trovare un neo a questo libro è il mod
Nerdsfeather
Sometime in the 1990s, fantasy's center of gravity shifted. Simple heroism (and anti-heroism) were out, along with magical trinkets, gallant knights, noble savages, evil gods, prophesied chosen ones, elves, dwarves, dragons and most other mainstays of both the neo-Tolkeinic and sword & sorcery questing traditions. Moral ambiguity, violence, greed, vice, corruption and, above all, politics reigned in their stead.

The gritty revolution was, and remains, a reaction to all the ridiculous tropes a
Marta Conejo
Y Andrzej sigue en su línea. La historia de Ciri continúa, siempre encadenada a Geralt y a Yennefer, y gracias a ellos vamos conociendo el contexto en el que viven, las guerras y las personas que les rodean. Lo aconsejo para todos aquellos que les guste la fantasía épica.
Μιχάλης
A good book is better than the sum of its parts. This one is much less than them, though.

Overall, there are some very good parts in it, vibrant characters and sharp dialogue. There is even some good action sequences, but they are underplayed a lot.
Nut it is constantly out of place, with a plot that never quite hits the spot. As for Geralt, the protagonist of this saga, he is constantly absent, with Ciri being the focus of the book.
Lauri
Ma peaaegu arvaks, et Jorge Martin viksis oma Jää ja Tule sarja Sapkowski pealt maha, kui ma usuks et Jorge poola keelt valdab. Üldiselt on Martini mainstream eepos neile kellele meeldib Hollywoodi eelseeditud kiirtoit ja Sapkowski neile kes eelistavad aeglaselt valmistatavat ja nauditavat käsitöökraami. Ootan kannatamatult järgesid...
Anirudh
The Time of Contempt, second installment in the Witcher Saga continues the story of Witcher and the child surprise. The focus shifts from the witcher to Ciri and Yennefer as politics and magic seep into the story and changes the stakes drastically.

As always it is a pleasure to read about Geralt of Rivia even though he does not do much in this novel. Instead the readers are introduced to the Council of mages and Yennefer's role. The plot is very entertaining and full of twists. As always witcher'
Kyle Muntz
Another great piece from Andrzej Sapkowski. Like the first Witcher novel, this one is unusually thoughtful and organically composed, but with a top-notch translation this time. The middle section of the book is especially good, maybe brilliant, though the last 80 pages or so branch off from the core narrative in a way I don't enjoy as much.

I'm dropping a star for that and the absolutely ridiculous publishing schedule. Considering the three years that passed between the first translation and thi
Iain
Entertaining entry in the Witcher series, which suffers slightly from some of the same flaws present in the earlier books. Sapkowski is capable of writing some brilliant individual scenes, but regrettably not quite as talented at putting them together into a cohesive narrative: some of the best moments in this book are essentially asides featuring characters only tangentially related to the plot. The book as a whole feels very episodic, and not a story in its own right.

(It also suffers from the
Dimitris
As many others I found out about Witcher because of the PC game. I wasn't sure if the books were worth it but I gave them a try. I started with the short stories which unfortunately are only available as fan translations, but I really liked them.

Sapkowski creates nice characters and an interesting setting. A setting with various kings and races. A place where elves are not just benevolent fairies, but can be cruel and go to war with humans. A place where nothing is black and white but there is a
Elizabeth
Cada nuevo personaje que aparece me fascina aún más. Ya Emhyr, emperador de Nilfgaard, hizo su aparición y fue verdaderamente interesante. Mientras Cahir se vuelve un personaje del que quiero saber aún más. Y el libro pasado me enamoró de los brujos, en este las hechiceras la partieron magistralmente.
Marie
The parts with Ciris point of view are exceptionally brilliant. I feel sorry for Geralt and Yennefer, they really had hope of starting their own little family for a minute there. It's a beautiful heart-breakingly amazing love-story. Makes me want to start reading the next book right this second. On a related note, that's exactly what I'm going to do now.
Olethros
-Cada vez menos sorprendente y más común.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Yennefer va rumbo a Thanedd para asistir a la reunión de hechiceros y Ciri la acompaña, aunque la idea es que se una a la escuela de hechiceras, pero Ciri tiene sus propios planes previos. Geralt obtiene información de una agencia de inteligencia un tanto peculiar. Los acontecimientos obligarán al brujo a tener que volver a dirigirle la palabra a la hechicera. Cuarto volumen de la saga de Geralt de Rivia.

¿Q
Psychophant
It is a common fact that the middle book in a trilogy has the lower quality. You lack the feeling of discovery and also the sense of purpose of a conclusion. This is a typical case, made worse by a rambling action, geographical and time jumps, and many unexplained happenings. Many things happen, but almost all of them outside the view of the characters.

In all, quite unsatisfying and frustrating, specially as I already knew from the games what was going to happen, and certainly it did not explain
James Purdham-cook
I enjoyed this book for the most part but it's becoming increasingly clear that Sapkowski didn't really have an interest in fleshing things out.

The story picks up right where the previous book left off and does a great job of developing the characters that the first novel in the saga set up so well, however it felt like the author was rushing to the 'good bits' and brushing over a lot of the stuff that would have given them a bigger impact.

Sapkowski does well in focusing in on individuals in t
Roseb612
Dec 31, 2014 Roseb612 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Roseb612 by: David_dd
Druhý díl ságy - díl, v němž zahřmí. Paradoxně přímo o válce se ale dějově nedozvíme nic (celá samotná válka se odehraje v Marigoldově vyprávění - mimochodem velmi zajímavě napsaná kapitola, výstavbou podobná první povídkové knize). Ćást věnovaná Thaneddu je skvělá - popis hostiny vč. všech možných intrik, pomluv atd. je velmi detailní a čte je to samo. (view spoiler) ...more
Lana Axe
I do love the Witcher's world and reading about his adventures. This particular installment of the series, however, gets off to a slow start. There is a lot of conversation, including conversation recounting other conversations. That describes the first half of this book, with the addition of a few small action scenes. I usually read very fast, but the first half did not grab my attention in the way the other two Witcher books I've read did. As a fan of the series, I was determined to keep readi ...more
Christopher Hernandez
I was very excited to read on the continued adventures of Geralt "The Witcher". Needless to say I was a bit put off by the minimal amount of appearances by the iconic character. I do suppose that Andrzej Sapkowski has to expand on his world and the additional characters. I did appreciate the more in depth look at the politics and the people who drive them. Ciri of course is given the time to shine normally allotted to Geralt, but I suppose it is all for the sake of storyline.

It was still a good
❁ Ezequiel ❁
En cada volumen Geralt tiene menos protagonismo, ademas cambian bastante la accion por intriga politica. Pero nunca nos dejan sin algo de sangre.
Me sentiria decepcionado si no fueran tan interesantes los demas personajes principales y la historia no continuara siendo atrapante. Tiene algunas partes en las que se estanca, pero en lo general es muy fluido.
Creo que deberia tener otro nombre la saga, a este paso el Lobo Blanco va a ser uno secundario. Pero sigue siendo una serie de libros imperdible
Ana
Me estoy leyendo estos libros como churros, aunque a veces salen tantos personajes con nombres rarunos que estoy sufriendo el síndrome de Juego de Tronos y no me acuerdo de la mitad. Pero no importa porque todo es maravilloso. Si hasta disfruto leyendo en español como nunca antes: la traducción al español gañán es el mejor invento desde el pijama de algodón.
Edward Rathke
This series keeps taking very interesting turns and risks. I've not really read anything like it, but I'm so so so down with wherever it's heading.
Kelly
I enjoy the Witcher series as a harsh, modern retelling of fairy tales and fantasy tropes; a sword-and-sorcery series predating but similar to A Song of Ice and Fire. The series proper deals with a society's political and social issues, while also contrasting the decline of Geralt, the titular Witcher, with the bildungsroman of Ciri, the Child of Destiny. Sometimes a little rough around the edges, I find the series as a whole very enjoyable. "The Time of Contempt" moves the sage further into adv ...more
Ben
Nope, there's even less Geralt here than Blood of Elves. I really can't believe how much divergence is taken, because Yennefer and Ciri aren't very interesting in the grand scheme of the genre. Oh boy, another powerful sorceress and a prophesied bringer of doom via the loins of an underage girl. I've never read that before...

The bits with Geralt, however, are spectacular, as in Blood of Elves. Of specific interest is a reception/ball scene wherein Geralt is forced to endure high society on the a
Sasha
Aww yiss, it's wonderful when you already have the next installment of the series lying around...

So after finishing the previous book, Blood of Elves, I immediately turned to this volume. The pace sure has picked up in this one and I read it pretty quickly.

This book introduces a lot of new characters as the plot thickens, the Mages go bonkers, the politicians are plotting, the Nilfgaardians react and seize the moment.
Amidst these turbulent events our protagonists sure go through a roller coast
Will
What can i say, it's Andrzej Sapkowski.
Another great novel following a full cast of characters, each just as interesting as the next.
I'll try and keep this short and without spoilers as i hate that. I guess there really is only two questions most are wanting to know answers too so, i put answers below to what i thought they would be.
(I bet the first person that reads this will say "That's not what i wanted to know.")hahaha

Q: Did i like it?
A: Yes enormously so. There is something about Sapkowski
Brad
I was a little disconcerted at first because there was a new translator for this book and it would have been nice if he'd been consistent with the original translator and left things like Dandilion's name alone (he becomes Dandelion in this one). The dialogue is also subtly different, but I can't say for sure that it's the translation rather than something that occurred in the original.

Overall this was a very enjoyable read. It had everything that the first Witcher books had, plus a conspiracy w
Piotr
kolejny raz zostałem wgnieciony w fotel... jednak Sapkowski Wiedźminem wzbił się na wyżyny twórcze i od tamtego czasu żaden polski pisarz fantasy nie jest mu w stanie dorównać... może tylko Grzędowicz Panem Lodowego ogrodu się zbliżył, ale jednak to nie to samo... z biegiem lat książka nic nie straciła ze swojej zajebistosci a wręcz zyskała - w końcu cykl wiedźmiński zaczynał moją przygodę z fantasy, a teraz jestem już starym, zgredziałym znawcą który swoje już przeczytał...
Sebastien
Good book, better than the last one, feels a bit more like an actual novel rather than a sequence of short stories. The relationship between Geralt and Yennefer is a bit cliché though, the man who only wants a quiet farm and a loving wife and the woman simply consumed by ambition and lust for power, that trope feels a bit overused. Ciri just can't catch a break either, still a bit confused about her whole family line. Loads of character being introduced and it feels like a lot of them are simply ...more
Alex Bergonzini
De este libro se salva la cena de hechiceros, sus locuras y la intensidad con la que viven Yennefer y Geralt. Existe un poco más de humor dentro de las relaciones y de nuevo se desmiente la figura del heroe más como un ser sencillo que sobrehumano.

La historia se sigue desarrollando, pero aunque hay muchos planes en el fondo no acaban de afianzarse, para luego aparecer una sorpresa que transmuta la acción.

A por el quinto…
Has Goodreads screwed up the order of the series? 2 36 Jan 15, 2015 08:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong name 2 11 Apr 25, 2014 10:10AM
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 3
  • Sługa Boży (Mordimer Madderdin, #1)
  • Siewca Wiatru (Zastępy Anielskie, #2)
  • Limes inferior
  • Achaja. Tom I (Achaja, #1)
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 2 (Wolha Redna, #2)
  • Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #1)
  • Pan Wołodyjowski
  • Szósta klepka (Jeżycjada, #1)
  • Kłamca (Kłamca, #1)
  • Tkacz iluzji (Kroniki Drugiego Kręgu, #1)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more
More about Andrzej Sapkowski...

Saga o Wiedźminie (7 books)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1)
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Wieża jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1) Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2) Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3) Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5) Wieża jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)

“Why didn't you become a sorcerer, Geralt? Weren't you ever attracted by the Art? Be honest.'
'I will. I was.'
'Why, then, didn't you follow the voice of that attraction?'
'I decided it would be wiser to follow the voice of good sense.'
'Meaning?'
'Years of practice in the witcher's trade have taught me not to bite off more than I can chew. Do you know, Vilgefortz, I once knew a dwarf, who, as a child, dreamed of being an elf. What do you think; would he have become one had he followed the voice of attraction?”
13 likes
“„– Będę czujny – westchnął. – Ale nie sądzę, żeby twój wytrawny gracz był w stanie mnie zaskoczyć. Nie po tym, co ja tu przeszedłem. Rzucili się na mnie szpiedzy, opadły wymierające gady i gronostaje. Nakarmiono mnie nie istniejącym kawiorem. Nie gustujące w mężczyznach nimfomanki podawały w wątpliwość moją męskość, groziły gwałtem na jeżu, straszyły ciążą, ba, nawet orgazmem, i to takim, któremu nie towarzyszą rytualne ruchy. Brrr...
- Piłeś?”