Start by marking “Times of Contempt (The Witcher Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Times of Contempt

Andrzej Sapkowski

Times of Contempt (Saga o Wiedźminie #4)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  8,201 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Geralt was always going to stand out, with his white hair and piercing eyes, his cynicism and lack of respect for authority ...but he is far more than just a striking-looking man. He's a witcher; his sorcerous powers, enhanced by elixirs and long training, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer; his targets are the vile f ...more
Published April 2011 (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Times of Contempt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Times of Contempt

Nerdsfeather
Sometime in the 1990s, fantasy's center of gravity shifted. Simple heroism (and anti-heroism) were out, along with magical trinkets, gallant knights, noble savages, evil gods, prophesied chosen ones, elves, dwarves, dragons and most other mainstays of both the neo-Tolkeinic and sword & sorcery questing traditions. Moral ambiguity, violence, greed, vice, corruption and, above all, politics reigned in their stead.

The gritty revolution was, and remains, a reaction to all the ridiculous tropes a
Vladimir Vasquez
A medida que la intriga política y la guerra avanzan en la historia, Geralt, es cada vez menos el protagonista. Si en el libro anterior veíamos como la historia se orientaba mas hacia Ciri, en este libro esto es mas acentuado.

Ahora entiendo cuando leía que esta novela era una fantasía mas madura, pero ¿eso significa que se abandona al héroe con la espada para favorecer la intriga política? No sé si me guste ese cambio.

Pero no voy a decir que Geralt no ve acción, sí tiene su cuota, y una cuota mu
Μιχάλης
A good book is better than the sum of its parts. This one is much less than them, though.

Overall, there are some very good parts in it, vibrant characters and sharp dialogue. There is even some good action sequences, but they are underplayed a lot.
Nut it is constantly out of place, with a plot that never quite hits the spot. As for Geralt, the protagonist of this saga, he is constantly absent, with Ciri being the focus of the book.
Lauri
Ma peaaegu arvaks, et Jorge Martin viksis oma Jää ja Tule sarja Sapkowski pealt maha, kui ma usuks et Jorge poola keelt valdab. Üldiselt on Martini mainstream eepos neile kellele meeldib Hollywoodi eelseeditud kiirtoit ja Sapkowski neile kes eelistavad aeglaselt valmistatavat ja nauditavat käsitöökraami. Ootan kannatamatult järgesid...
Anirudh
The Time of Contempt, second installment in the Witcher Saga continues the story of Witcher and the child surprise. The focus shifts from the witcher to Ciri and Yennefer as politics and magic seep into the story and changes the stakes drastically.

As always it is a pleasure to read about Geralt of Rivia even though he does not do much in this novel. Instead the readers are introduced to the Council of mages and Yennefer's role. The plot is very entertaining and full of twists. As always witcher'
Reg
Disappointing.

What I like about the Witcher/Sapkowski books - particularly Last Wish - is the moral ambiguity of it all. Geralt hunts monsters but he doesn't do it thoughtlessly and he will admit that the monsters are in fact endangered species that he is helping along the path to extinction. Geralt, the mutant, is the exception, the noble savage giving contrast to the rest of rude humanity who are terrible, ignorant racists toward the elves, dwarves etc, who, in turn, don't help their case by
Kyle Muntz
Another great piece from Andrzej Sapkowski. Like the first Witcher novel, this one is unusually thoughtful and organically composed, but with a top-notch translation this time. The middle section of the book is especially good, maybe brilliant, though the last 80 pages or so branch off from the core narrative in a way I don't enjoy as much.

I'm dropping a star for that and the absolutely ridiculous publishing schedule. Considering the three years that passed between the first translation and thi
Iain
Entertaining entry in the Witcher series, which suffers slightly from some of the same flaws present in the earlier books. Sapkowski is capable of writing some brilliant individual scenes, but regrettably not quite as talented at putting them together into a cohesive narrative: some of the best moments in this book are essentially asides featuring characters only tangentially related to the plot. The book as a whole feels very episodic, and not a story in its own right.

(It also suffers from the
Dimitris
As many others I found out about Witcher because of the PC game. I wasn't sure if the books were worth it but I gave them a try. I started with the short stories which unfortunately are only available as fan translations, but I really liked them.

Sapkowski creates nice characters and an interesting setting. A setting with various kings and races. A place where elves are not just benevolent fairies, but can be cruel and go to war with humans. A place where nothing is black and white but there is a
Marie
The parts with Ciris point of view are exceptionally brilliant. I feel sorry for Geralt and Yennefer, they really had hope of starting their own little family for a minute there. It's a beautiful heart-breakingly amazing love-story. Makes me want to start reading the next book right this second. On a related note, that's exactly what I'm going to do now.
Olethros
-Cada vez menos sorprendente y más común.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Yennefer va rumbo a Thanedd para asistir a la reunión de hechiceros y Ciri la acompaña, aunque la idea es que se una a la escuela de hechiceras, pero Ciri tiene sus propios planes previos. Geralt obtiene información de una agencia de inteligencia un tanto peculiar. Los acontecimientos obligarán al brujo a tener que volver a dirigirle la palabra a la hechicera. Cuarto volumen de la saga de Geralt de Rivia.

¿Q
Lana Axe
I do love the Witcher's world and reading about his adventures. This particular installment of the series, however, gets off to a slow start. There is a lot of conversation, including conversation recounting other conversations. That describes the first half of this book, with the addition of a few small action scenes. I usually read very fast, but the first half did not grab my attention in the way the other two Witcher books I've read did. As a fan of the series, I was determined to keep readi ...more
Christopher Hernandez
I was very excited to read on the continued adventures of Geralt "The Witcher". Needless to say I was a bit put off by the minimal amount of appearances by the iconic character. I do suppose that Andrzej Sapkowski has to expand on his world and the additional characters. I did appreciate the more in depth look at the politics and the people who drive them. Ciri of course is given the time to shine normally allotted to Geralt, but I suppose it is all for the sake of storyline.

It was still a good
Edward Rathke
This series keeps taking very interesting turns and risks. I've not really read anything like it, but I'm so so so down with wherever it's heading.
Kelly
I enjoy the Witcher series as a harsh, modern retelling of fairy tales and fantasy tropes; a sword-and-sorcery series predating but similar to A Song of Ice and Fire. The series proper deals with a society's political and social issues, while also contrasting the decline of Geralt, the titular Witcher, with the bildungsroman of Ciri, the Child of Destiny. Sometimes a little rough around the edges, I find the series as a whole very enjoyable. "The Time of Contempt" moves the sage further into adv ...more
Sasha
Aww yiss, it's wonderful when you already have the next installment of the series lying around...

So after finishing the previous book, Blood of Elves, I immediately turned to this volume. The pace sure has picked up in this one and I read it pretty quickly.

This book introduces a lot of new characters as the plot thickens, the Mages go bonkers, the politicians are plotting, the Nilfgaardians react and seize the moment.
Amidst these turbulent events our protagonists sure go through a roller coast
Will
What can i say, it's Andrzej Sapkowski.
Another great novel following a full cast of characters, each just as interesting as the next.
I'll try and keep this short and without spoilers as i hate that. I guess there really is only two questions most are wanting to know answers too so, i put answers below to what i thought they would be.
(I bet the first person that reads this will say "That's not what i wanted to know.")hahaha

Q: Did i like it?
A: Yes enormously so. There is something about Sapkowski
Brad
I was a little disconcerted at first because there was a new translator for this book and it would have been nice if he'd been consistent with the original translator and left things like Dandilion's name alone (he becomes Dandelion in this one). The dialogue is also subtly different, but I can't say for sure that it's the translation rather than something that occurred in the original.

Overall this was a very enjoyable read. It had everything that the first Witcher books had, plus a conspiracy w
Piotr
kolejny raz zostałem wgnieciony w fotel... jednak Sapkowski Wiedźminem wzbił się na wyżyny twórcze i od tamtego czasu żaden polski pisarz fantasy nie jest mu w stanie dorównać... może tylko Grzędowicz Panem Lodowego ogrodu się zbliżył, ale jednak to nie to samo... z biegiem lat książka nic nie straciła ze swojej zajebistosci a wręcz zyskała - w końcu cykl wiedźmiński zaczynał moją przygodę z fantasy, a teraz jestem już starym, zgredziałym znawcą który swoje już przeczytał...
Alex Bergonzini
De este libro se salva la cena de hechiceros, sus locuras y la intensidad con la que viven Yennefer y Geralt. Existe un poco más de humor dentro de las relaciones y de nuevo se desmiente la figura del heroe más como un ser sencillo que sobrehumano.

La historia se sigue desarrollando, pero aunque hay muchos planes en el fondo no acaban de afianzarse, para luego aparecer una sorpresa que transmuta la acción.

A por el quinto…
Feamelwen
In my opinion, this is the book where it all comes together.

Finally, things get really serious and epic. Everyone and his mother is searching for Ciri, who reveals herself to be an intriguing character. A girl capable of both passion and clear-headed thinking, and who often makes bad decisions, but a smart, likeable girl nonetheless, who, despite having to defend her life, hesitates to kill and isn't thrilled by it (Arya, I'm looking at you, you young sociopath that every reader seems to like).
Malcolm
Time of Contempt is another excellent entry into the annals of the Witcher Geralt, which more often than not focusses on his young charge Ciri, now making waves of her own throughout the dangerous lands. Sapkowski writes so fluidly, allowing the reader to absorb so much detail at a fresh pace, and the translator does a pro job at keeping the themes and motivations and landscapes and action true to the original text.

My review is likely biased towards a high score, colored by my enjoyment of the C
Matteo Pellegrini

Tre ombre cavalcano nella notte. Sono tre sicari, lanciati all'inseguimento della loro prossima vittima. Tuttavia non sanno di essere a loro volta seguiti da una creatura più forte e più resistente di qualsiasi essere umano: Geralt di Rivia, l'assassino di mostri. In circostanze normali, lo strigo non si sporcherebbe le mani per eliminare dei comuni criminali, ma stavolta è diverso. Perché quei tre sono stati assoldati per uccidere la principessa Ciri e, se ci riusciranno, il mondo intero sarà p

Judyta Szaciłło
Unfortunately, the book loses a lot in translation. It is still a decent fantasy - there are intricate plots, colourful reality and plenty of action, but, unfortunately, the translation does not match the original in its witty and funny play on words. In English it is just yet another YA action book. Enjoyable and recommendable, but I've outgrown it a long time ago.
Benoit
Ayant tout juste terminé le temps du mépris, je suis tout à fait satisfait de l’expérience. Nous retrouvons encore une fois Geralt qui poursuit ses aventures, cette fois tentant de contrecarrer les plans des individus qui recherchent Ciri. Son rôle, sur le plan politique montre son importance pour tous les souverains.

Le quatrième tome de la série du Sorceleur est définitivement la suite de l’histoire de Ciri, l’enfant surprise ayant une destinée. Andrzje Sapkowski prend son temps pour développer
Keith Vai
Another terrific installment in the adventures of Geralt, Cirri, Yennifer, and Dandilion.

My one complaint with this series is that they are not really separate books as much as they are one single story split into books. Each one starts where the previous one ended without any transition, much like Tolkein's Lord of Rings. I would prefer to read the whole story in one piece rather than chopped up but what can you do.

This book is in two parts.

The first part is the story of Wizards, Enchantresses
AnnMarie
The Saga becomes darker still. If you've got this far, you're not going to want to stop reading.

Political intrigue, war & loss will feature heavily here. I don't wish to write any spoilers, so suffice to say that this is up to the author's usual high standards.
Matt
Just finished this book. Pretty good, introduces a lot of new characters and a lot of political intrigue, etc. I'm assuming if you're looking at this you've at least read the first book. If you liked that, you'll like this one. Dunno what else to say...
Epicdom
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the others. It wasn't bad, but it didn't hold my attention as much as as the previous in the series. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the ending either. This is my personal opinion though and others may feel differently.
André Bauscher
Der heitere und ausgelassene Beginn des Buches, wiegt den Leser gekonnt in Sicherheit. Geralt hat Gelegenheit erneut seine kämpferische Geschicklichkeit unter Beweis zu stellen, während für Ciris Ausbildung Pläne geschmiedet werden. Letztendlich kommt es sogar zu einem großen Wiedersehen, dass nur von der Zusammenkunft der Zauberer überschattet wird. Und hier gelingt Sapkowski ein absoluter Höhepunkt in den bisherigen Erzählungen. Er gestaltet den ersten Teil des Kongresses so absurd komisch, da ...more
Has Goodreads screwed up the order of the series? 1 9 Nov 03, 2014 12:09PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong name 2 9 Apr 25, 2014 10:10AM
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1
  • Siewca Wiatru (Zastępy Anielskie, #2)
  • Sługa Boży (Mordimer Madderdin, #1)
  • Limes inferior
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #1)
  • Achaja. Tom II (Achaja, #2)
  • Pulpecja (Jeżycjada, #8)
  • Tkacz iluzji (Kroniki Drugiego Kręgu, #1)
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 2 (Wolha Redna, #2)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more
More about Andrzej Sapkowski...
The Last Wish (The Witcher) Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2) Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3) Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5) Wieża jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)

“„– Będę czujny – westchnął. – Ale nie sądzę, żeby twój wytrawny gracz był w stanie mnie zaskoczyć. Nie po tym, co ja tu przeszedłem. Rzucili się na mnie szpiedzy, opadły wymierające gady i gronostaje. Nakarmiono mnie nie istniejącym kawiorem. Nie gustujące w mężczyznach nimfomanki podawały w wątpliwość moją męskość, groziły gwałtem na jeżu, straszyły ciążą, ba, nawet orgazmem, i to takim, któremu nie towarzyszą rytualne ruchy. Brrr...
- Piłeś?”
11 likes
“Why didn't you become a sorcerer, Geralt? Weren't you ever attracted by the Art? Be honest.'
'I will. I was.'
'Why, then, didn't you follow the voice of that attraction?'
'I decided it would be wiser to follow the voice of good sense.'
'Meaning?'
'Years of practice in the witcher's trade have taught me not to bite off more than I can chew. Do you know, Vilgefortz, I once knew a dwarf, who, as a child, dreamed of being an elf. What do you think; would he have become one had he followed the voice of attraction?”
6 likes