Start by marking “Rose Red & Snow White: A Grimms Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
Rose Red & Snow White: A Grimms Fairy Tale

Rose Red & Snow White: A Grimms Fairy Tale

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,628 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A bear, befriended by two sisters during the winter, returns one day to reward them royally for their kindness.
Published April 1st 1997 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1812)

To ask other readers questions about Rose Red & Snow White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose Red & Snow White

The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareBeastly by Alex FlinnThe Tea Rose by Jennifer DonnellyThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
A Rose By Any Other Name ...
6th out of 173 books — 82 voters
Snow White And Rose Red by Patricia C. WredeThe Shadow of the Bear by Regina DomanWaking Rose by Regina DomanSnow White Sorrow by Cameron JaceThe Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm
Snow White and Rose Red
7th out of 43 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Haley *City Girl Appearance~Country Girl Heart*

Another children's book, yes, I know. But, this book is so good. I absolutely love it. When I was younger, I read it like...a million times. Every time I went to the library, I checked it out and read it. I still have it almost memorized.
The pictures are the amazing part. Ruth Sanderson did a wonderful job on this book. To be perfectly honest, she did wonderful on all of her children'
Beccy
Aug 24, 2011 Beccy rated it liked it
A charming story and a great take on the other life that Snow White might have had, had she not taken up with some dwarves and a different Prince.

The story is pretty bog standard in terms of its format as a fairy tale. Two sisters, a bear who becomes a prince and a malevolent dwarf who, though showed kindness by the girls, continues with his wicked ways only to be slain by the bear. Cue the transformation of bear to prince and the happy ever after ending when he marries Rose Red and his brother
Miss Clark
The big change from the versions I know is that Rose Red marries the Bear Prince and Snow White marries his unnamed brother. Generally, it is Snow White who marries the Bear Prince and Rose Red the brother. Otherwise, a nice retelling of the tale with decent illustrations. I like Sanderson's scenery/buildings much more than her people/faces. Also, Rose Red did not have red hair.
Brittany Newton
Oct 06, 2013 Brittany Newton rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
This fairy tale was a little odd to me, but it could still be used in the classroom. It is about 2 girls who live with their mother. They meet a bear and they provide him with food, water, and shelter. They later meet a dwarf that they save but he is ungrateful and sneaky. The bear eventually scares away the dwarf and when the girls hug the bear he turns into a prince and then they marry him and his brother and their mother come to live with them in the castle. This book could be used in the ...more
Nohely
Feb 14, 2013 Nohely rated it it was amazing
One of my childhood favorites. Don't let the tittle fool you, this is a complete different story even If it has the name of Snow White in it. The story is about two sisters and their nasty encounter with a dwarf and a mysterious bear who claims to be a prince. A story in which teaches us to be kind even to those who don't deserve it. At fist this may sound unfair, but at the end we will be rewarded.
Sandra
Oct 17, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Oh again this will always remind me of my childhood, nothing can be quite as good as Grimm to remind me of the good old days :) This is horribly underrated. I remember feeling so tense every time they let in that bear, my survival instinct kicking in.

I should have known better though, this being a wonderfully optimistic childrens tale, of course he had to be (SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!) a prince. What else was he going to be? :)

Oh how I love grimm.
Katsumi
Jul 17, 2012 Katsumi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
The story of sisters Snow White and Rose Red by the Brothers Grimm is not one that has received widespread attention compared to some of their other stories. However, this is a story that brings back fond memories of my childhood when my mother used to read this story to me. We used to own this delightful fairy tale book which had the story in it but I lost the book during a move and have been searching for a good adaptation/retelling ever since.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it
This one I first encountered not as a book, but as an album of audio stories. I loved the bear, but I prefer Tender Morsels to Into the Forest as an updated retelling. Because really? Bears do not make good playmates.
Relyn
Jun 16, 2013 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
Shelves: lawsonland
Gennady Spirin is an excellent illustrator. His lush, detailed style are perfect for old fairy tales. I use this one in my fairy tale unit at summer school. I thought it was especially good since it's one that most children have never heard. It contains all the typical elements of the genre as well.
Julie
Aug 03, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddos
I liked this as a kid, but thought it was weird that when the bear turned into a prince he just happened to have a brother that was a prince as well. That way there were two couples that lived happily ever after.
Everything tied up in a neat little bow.
Pamela
This doesn't really add anything new to the story, and the narration is quite long for a picture book (although I find that to be true of most of Sanderson's things).
Rose Kern
Jan 20, 2014 Rose Kern rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite childhood book!! I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a folktale that is very different than the rest. I adore the relationship that unfolds in this story.
Candice
The illustrations are beautifully crafted and complement the classic Grimm's fairy tale perfectly.
Loved it and highly recommend it!
Anthea
Anthea rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2014
Fiona
Fiona rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Katherine Langnehs
Katherine Langnehs rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Liz Thomson
Liz Thomson rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Everet Nestripke
Everet Nestripke rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Althea Roa
Althea Roa rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Suzie Ann
Suzie Ann rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Şevval Sayan
Şevval Sayan rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Lulu
Lulu rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Caecellia
Caecellia rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Jayda
Jayda rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2009
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Fridah
Fridah rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Bianca Alexis
Bianca Alexis rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Caroll
Caroll rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015