Start by marking “Evidence of Harm: Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic: A Medical Controversy” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  44 reviews
In the 1990s reported autism cases among American children began spiking, from about 1 in 10,000 in 1987 to a shocking 1 in 166 today. This trend coincided with the addition of several new shots to the nation's already crowded vaccination schedule, grouped together and given soon after birth or in the early months of infancy. Most of these shots contained a little-known pr ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Evidence of Harm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evidence of Harm

Don't torture yourself, this is some truly terrible journalism.
Jennifer Margulis
This book is outstanding. David Kirby is a masterful journalist, explaining the controversies surrounding thimerosal (a mercury derived preservative) in childhood vaccinations through the eyes of parents who believe their children were harmed by vaccines. The book follows the struggles of Lyn Redwood, a young R.N. who is married to a doctor and whose son, Will, regresses into autism following his vaccines. Redwood and several others, including Sallie Bernard, Heidi Rogers, and Scott and Laura Bo ...more
I was gripped by this book at first and it made me regret not reading more non-fiction. It is about the Autism epidemic and its correlation to childhood vaccines written by the New York Times health writer David Kirby. I especially appreciated the individual vignettes of each family’s unique experiences and struggles. This book is filled with shocking cover-ups, manipulated science and its fair share of politics. It wasn’t a “liberals are good, conservatives are bad” book either. There were good ...more
This is not an easy read and it was really hard to give it a rating in stars. It really makes an interesting accusation agaoins the vaccine manufacturers. Every parent should read this book before making a choice about vaccinating their children.
Dense with information, this book follows the struggles that a group of parents faced as they battled to have their theory heard about the link between mercury in vaccines and the growing autism epidemic. The author follows a number of different threads--personal stories about families struggling with the disease, their growing conviction of a link between thimerosal and autism, the fight to find treatments for autism, the fight to access epidemiological evidence from the CDC for a link, the fig ...more
wow. Yet another reason why we wouldn't be so popular worldwide... let's just ship our crap mercury and aluminum vaccines off to China and third-world countries... great idea, Clinton!
This book was interesting to me because it of its medically-related content, but if I were to rate it based on quality rather than how much I liked it, I think it would fall more in the 2 to 2.5 star range. I found it extremely biased, inflammatory, and emotional. Also, I can only imagine a few people I know who would be interested in a 500-page medical-legal-political tirade like this one. I can hardly believe it was a bestseller. I think a lot of people must have bought it and skimmed it becau ...more
An eye opening and disturbing account. I think there is compelling evidence that vaccines (especially when they contain known neurotoxins) do cause harm in some instances. Thimerisol was not adequately tested before being used as a vaccine preservative, was known by the drug manufacturer to cause neurological defects after it was added and was continued to be approved for use by the FDA years after they had ample evidence of harm (most still won't openly admit it caused harm). I'm horrified at t ...more
I had tickets to a baseball game; took the book and read it in the stands. I couldn't put it down, read all night and finished in the morning.

Basically the pharmaceutical companies put mercury in the vaccines as a preservative(since publication of this book, they have been phased out of children's vaccines), claim there is no mercury (a technical point based on the definition of "trace")...and play a chess game of strategy with our health at stake. Mercury is a toxic substance and bio-accumulate
Mary Frances
Aug 24, 2008 Mary Frances rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents. those interested in medical or environmental issues
I have been a sceptic about the autism/vaccination link, but this book provided me with some serious food for thought. The reporting on the science used to challenge a link is very eye-opening, and I now am much more inclined to think there may be a link that should be very thoroughly investigated. This book just added to my increasing distrust of the government agencies that are charged with protecting us by reviewing and approving new drugs. it also lends strength to my overall skepticism abou ...more
Tara Hendricks
My immediate family is not affected by autism, but this country is, and that affects all of us. All possibilities of causation should be investigated even if we still believe that vaccines are best for the greater good. Because if it were your child affected, you'd want to know. If you read this book, you simply cannot ignore the possibility that it holds elements of truth. As a mother, the most compelling evidence being, the bright, intelligent, everyday moms who just "knew something was not ri ...more
The way this book is written reminds me of A Civil Action by Jonathan Harr. It is very readable non-fiction--especially if you are interested in the topic. Kirby does give a lot of details and that can bog the reader down a bit. I feel like he tried his best to be objective regarding this controversial subject matter.

The jury is still out for me regarding a connection between autism and thimerosal. I definitely think more studies and research needs to be done. And no matter what conclusions I re
If your child has Autism

This is a must read. The facts of what has been done to our children will surely surprise most people.
I really didn't want to read this book at all. I couldn't imagine myself enjoying anything so sciency. But, I had to delve deeper than the sporadic articles I've read on the safety of vaccines, so I made myself open this book. I am shocked to say that I am really enjoying it. The evidence for and against vaccines is presented in a fair and unbiased way, and the book is pleasantly readable. I feel armed with a lot of new knowledge!

*UPDATE* As my research continued, I found that the main platform
Meaghan Enright
Oct 06, 2007 Meaghan Enright rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an interest in Pharma, Autism, or just the collective social conscience
Shelves: non-fiction
Really compelling, thorough and surprisingly easy to understand - discusses the evidence linking the use of mercury based preservatives in childhood vaccines to the increased diagnosis of autism in young children. This book definitely makes you think - though the theory is a bit controversial (some discard it as farfetched), the symptoms of mercury poisoning and autism are disturbingly similar, and certainly the levels of mercury present in these vaccinations is cause for concern. (FYI, you can ...more
Aug 29, 2007 polly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, physicians
Kirby writes good nonfiction: the book flows like a novel, and maintains the reader's interest. The subject matter is important--mercury in vaccines, and the possibility that it could have a role to play in the epidemic of autism and autism spectrum disorders. (Also touched upon is the notion that the MMR can cause autism--as put forth by Dr. Wakefield in Britain.) Whether or not the mercury has caused autism, what is fascinating about this book is the government's approach to the issue--or its ...more
I was originally interested in this book because the congressman that I worked for was a doctor that focused on policy dealing with mercury in vaccines.

Stories of parents, their autistic children and their efforts in working with the government (mainly the CDC) are recorded. Their fight against the use of mercury filled vaccines are reminiscent of the efforts of parents today as well.

Overall, it was infuriating and invariant, but at times interesting.
Elizabeth  Rodenburg Punko
This book is a huge eye opener to the poison that is being injected into our children everyday. Irregardless of what your personal opinion is of this controversal topic, this book makes you question what you had been told about immunizations. If anything, this book needs to be read by all just for people to be able to make an educated decision on when or if you decide to have shots administered to your children or not.
Sep 17, 2008 'helen' rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents exploring vaccinations (but only if you have plenty of time)
Shelves: parenting-birth
This reads like an extra-long NYTimes Magazine piece, but is remarkably fast-paced for 400+ pages of legislative & scientific 'drama.' Very biased in its position on the vaccine-autism debate, but did give me some food for thought. Contextualized the time line of the court cases, media hoopla, legislation, and publicity surrounding the thimerosal (mercury) in vaccines debate.
Nov 26, 2008 Richard rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody who is healthy so as not to become ill.
A well thought out and researched work. A good read that puts you into the shoes of some of the parents of Autistic children. The secret to this book is in the title. Since there is no "Evidence of Harm", it must be good for you and your children . . . Oh how wrong! Science should be looking for "Evidence of Good" and they have been stuck at proving a negative.
Heather the QueenofBooks
As a Mother with both an Autistic child and a child with ADHD this book moved me to tears. I'm using this book to educate all friends and family. Knowledge is power. I can continue to harbor the whys and what ifs or I can move forward and educate but damn if I didn't wish this knowledge was out there 10 years ago. Protect your children at all costs.
I'm glad I'm finding out all this info about the safety (or not) of things I had just taken for granted previously. Now I'm more inclined to do my own research as opposed to blindly trusting. Our little baby will definitely be following a late, drawn out schedule for vaccines and not receiving six or more at one time. That's ridiculous.
Sheri Byrd
For MPA public policy class. Scary. Oh so scary. Would have been scary even without the melodramatic writing style so typical when journalists decide to write narrative nonfiction. Nonetheless, this style seems encouraged by editors.
Wow! Depressing. Enlightening. I hope to find a book that tells the other side of the story...afraid I won't...

I would have preferred to omit the "story" and the hype and just included the facts.
Jen Johnson
Couldn't put it down. Filled with knowledge that not enough people know, and NEED to know! Whether you have a child on the autism spectrum is irrelevant. This is still an important, informative book.
This book followed a number of parents on their journey to Capital Hill. It explains the basis behind the theory of vaccines and Autism. I think anyone that read this would agree there is a connection.
Enraging, frustrating, emotional. BUT - informative. It's not an anti vaccine book, but instead describes the legal, political and ethical battles surrounding thimerisol in the vaccines.
Very interesting, very scary book to read as a parent or even a member of society. If my kids get measles or mumps one day as a result of not being fully vaccinated, this book is why!
I can't put this book down! I can relate to the stories in it. These people have stories just like mine. It is an inspiring journey to get our children back.
It gets a bit redundant but it's packed with some great information and you have to wonder when someone will listen to these mothers and look at our legislation.
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM) Children's Vaccinations
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery
  • Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy: The Special Education Survival Guide
  • In the Name of Science: A History of Secret Programs, Medical Research, and Human Experimentation
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Vaccine Epidemic: How Corporate Greed, Biased Science, and Coercive Government Threaten Our Human Rights, Our Health, and Our Children
  • The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It
  • The Crazy Makers
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • The Fluoride Deception
  • Dissolving Illusions
  • A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback
  • Fateful Harvest: The True Story of a Small Town, a Global Industry, and a Toxic Secret
  • Letters to a Young Doctor (Art of Mentoring)
  • Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future