Start by marking “I Can Make You Thin: The Revolutionary System Used by More Than 6 Million People” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating Details ·  1,030 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
AT LAST--A TOTALLY NEW APPROACH TO WEIGHT LOSS. WE'RE SO SURE IT WORKS WE GUARANTEE IT...OR YOUR MONEY BACK!*

Paul McKenna's revolutionary book and CD have helped millions of people lose weight without food restrictions, counting calories, or fighting cravings.

All decisions about food take place in the mind and the human mind is like a computer. Dr. McKenna helps people re
Published January 3rd 2012 by Sterling (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I Can Make You Thin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Make You Thin

Books Ring Mah Bell
Browsing at the bookstore, I was bombarded with posters and an entire table of Paul's "Revolutionary" book. Really, Paul? Let me tell you something. If Dr. Atkins can't help the people, how can you? If The Lemon Juice Diet, You: On A Diet, South Beach Diet, The Best Life Diet, The Raw Food Detox Diet, Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet, The Maker's Diet, The Abs Diet, The Great American Detox Diet, The Ultimate Tea Diet, Prevention Flat Belly Diet, The Sonoma Diet, The Thyroid Diet, ...more
Astrid
Feb 23, 2011 Astrid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to rate this book so highly, as the title offends me! I think it sounds arrogant, and "thin" wasn't necessarily what I was looking for - just a healthy relationship with food! But the copy I have fell into my hands by accident - it got left over at a charity car boot sale I helped at, so I kept it out of curiosity, as I am interested in "Intuitive Eating" as an approach to improving ones relationship with food.

I was pleasantly surprised by the content of this book - it promotes a
Liza
Mar 16, 2009 Liza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is amazing! McKenna has four simple rules for weight loss (things like stop eating when you're full). Very easy to follow, and the quick book reinforces the rules. The book includes a hypnosis CD that is 25 minutes long. Listen to it for 2 weeks (I listened at night before bed), and his concepts are reinforced. Now I eat what I want (I can have birthday cake at a party), and just focus on stopping when I'm full. I'm amazed at how much less food I eat and am still full! I'm also in a lo ...more
Marwa Marzougi
كتاب جميل جدا وخفيف
يتحدث عن اسلوب حياة في طرق اكل الطعام للذين سئموا من انواع الرجيم ولم يستفد منه.

الشيء الملفت انه بعد ما انتهيت من الكتاب وجدت انه هذه الامور مذكورة في السنة النبوية. ونحن احق بذكرها من الغرب

الكتاب يتلخص ب اربعة نقاط

-كُل وانت جائع (يوجد درجات الجوع عندما تصل لدرجه معينة تبدأ بالاكل )
- كُل ما تحب وليس ما يجب أن تأكل
-ُكل ببطئ وبعقلانية واستمتع بكل لقمه
- توقف عندما تشبع (وليس حتى التخمه ) وهنا يدربك ان تستمع لمعدتك متى يجب أن تبدأ ومتى تتوقف

مرفق مع الكتاب CD استرخاء يطلب من
Shelby | Double Up Books
The premise of the book is simple... eat when you're hungry and don't eat when you're not hungry. It was almost too simple to be true. When I started doing this I realized the countless amount of times throughout the day that I ate just for eating sake... not because I was hungry. I would also eat way past the point of being hungry - not good. I've noticed a difference in my weight now and am much more calmer about food because of this book.

So, if I've told you all this why read the book? We've
Sep 23, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a fabulous system, yet utterly common sense and "duh".
why didn't I think of this?
IT REALLY WORKS, thats the kicker.
there are no diets. No gimmicks.No shakes, no pills, no forbidden foods.
follow 4 SIMPLE rules when you eat and you will automatically eat less, lose weight. eat what you want, when you want.
Paul McKenna basically teaches you how to reprogram your brain and your eating habits.
Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full.
DUH!
I highly rcommend this book to anyone who has st
Christine
2/14/2012 UPDATE: I have noticed that I do a lot less snacking and eat a lot slower if I remember to follow the rules. I have lost 7 lbs in about 3 weeks. I shared this book with a friend and she has noticed she also snacks less and she has lost 4 lbs in about 2 weeks. Maybe it really can work. You really have to make a conscious effort to think about food differently and not just eat without thinking.

Can it really be this simple? This was a quick read with some pretty simple solutions to those
Frankie
Mar 15, 2016 Frankie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, 2016
As with all Paul McKenna books i feel somethings i could relate to and others not so much.
Juline
Jan 09, 2009 Juline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I watched his television series and was very impressed. Picked up the book on an impulse at B&N. It comes with a CD that is a self-hypnosis CD. I LOVE IT!!! This guy has SOMETHING right!!!! I have found myself moving around more today and am much more aware of real hunger versus emotional hunger. Definatly worth the read. Hoping this really helps. So far I like what it is doing.
Hil
Jul 06, 2012 Hil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge2012
At time of writing I am on day 6 of 90 on this weight-loss journey. I will update this review following that to tell you how well it worked. Bear with me if that's what you want to know!

For me, this is a brilliant weight-loss system. The criticisms I've seen so far seem to be from people who didn't follow all the steps correctly or give themselves enough time to work with it. This is not a quick fix diet, something you can do for a week then go back to "eating normally", it's for people who need
Ginger
Mar 06, 2009 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phil Booth
Jan 26, 2013 Phil Booth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read Paul Mckenna's book several times from cover to cover,listened to the cd,and even attended his "weight-loss event";(which mainly consisted consisted of him explaining the book-presumably for people who were unable to read!)
After having tried everything he suggests and following the instructions to the letter I can truthfully say: IT DID NOT WORK AT ALL for me!In fact I gained weight whilst trying to apply the principles he promotes.
I sincerely believe that the "Paul Mckenna weight loss me
I was a little bit dubious about reading Paul McKennas books mainly because my only experience of him has been watching his stage shows. As a fellow Hypnotherapist (Clinical not Stage), I was intrigued to see what his approach was at dealing with issues that I see clients for on a regular basis. I had also been recommended it by another hypnotherapist. I was very impressed with the book. It only took me an hour to read it - has some great facts and information in there and is really easy to foll ...more
Teresa
Feb 12, 2009 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'ts a short book and an easy read. I think he's right on with ideas about changing our relationship with food and his very simple rules. It's very "anti-diet", (yea!) and more about reprogramming habits and thoughts so that healthier eating is normal life...by choice. My girls and I are going to give it a go...I'll let you know. I already feel a difference in how I'm eating...and he insists that you eat when your hungry, and what you want, and S-L-O-W-L-Y, etc. He also includes some methods to ...more
Ali
Feb 22, 2009 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book doesn't contain any real new information. Many other people out there have said what McKenna is saying. But what I found different about this book was the simpleness and how concisely he has presented his four simple rules. I felt good reading it and I am stiving to fit his philosophies into my life. Even though I've read other books saying the same thing, this was the one book that spoke to me.

As for the CD, it was quite weird to listen to at first. I didn't know what to make of it. B
Susan Erhardt
Jul 11, 2009 Susan Erhardt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author gives very sensible advice (though Geneen Roth gave it first - many, many years ago). However, I got the feeling he didn't REALLY mean that you could eat anything you wanted. Why else give instructions on how to get rid of a craving or stop eating a food forever?
Well this is totally unexpected, but... this guy really knows what he's doing! The problem for some people might be that he doesn't get into explaining how all of this stuff works to change your brain into functioning like a thin person's brain. I think he purposely tried to keep this very simple. So for someone like me who's not convinced about such things until she understands how they work, this book could easily be blown off as self-help hogwash. But since he takes ideas from things I've bee ...more
Will Jeffries
Apr 25, 2011 Will Jeffries rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was truly inspiring to me. Before reading this book, I struggled with getting my weight under control. I was eating out all the time, and (yes, you guessed it) - gaining weight and puttin' on the pounds.

Some helpful and encouraging notes I jotted down from this book include:
1. It's a good idea to make your first response to hunger pangs a fresh glass of water. If you're not hungry afterward, it was thirst; if you still are, dig in!
2. As soon as you've had enought to eat, you'll notice
Nikki Magennis
Though I'm shriveling with shame, I am going to bravely list my latest rash of self-improvement books.

This one is ludicrously thin itself, as if the slimness of the volume will subconsciously encourage your quest, and McKenna makes my skin crawl. But his central message I can dig - eat what you want, when you want. Learn to listen to your body. Relearn what it means to be hungry.

(There really isn't very much more to the text than this. But it does have a shiny CD).

Whether it works or not rema
Debbie
May 18, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept. I love the 4 rules. Eat when you're hungry, eat what you want, enjoy every bite, stop eating when you're full. And the biggest tip - slow down! Mike even noticed that I was eating very slow!

But I like the idea of recognizing that we should eat out of hunger for the enjoyment of food and not for emotional reasons or boredom or just plain habit. All the reviews on this were good, it works for lots of people.
Monica
Jan 16, 2009 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Ok, I read this book in one day... but he says you won't start seeing results for a couple of weeks. (You have to listen to the CD everyday for 2 weeks) So it's hard to rate if I really liked it or not. I guess it depends if it works... the rating will go up, if it doesn't, it'll go down.
But I do agree with a lot of what was in the book and it made me feel better about myself - so at this point it gets 4 stars.
Marti
Jan 16, 2009 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is simple common sense approach to managing food in your life. It is not a diet book. It is a system with helps for taking charge of your eating habits. It comes with a hypnosis CD which I didn't listen to. I did get some helpful hints about resetting my metabolism. The rest of the system is pretty much what I already do only it never hurts to be reminded. Quick read.
Josh
Feb 20, 2010 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Embarrassing to admit to reading these things. It actually was a perfectly sound, easily implemented approach. It makes you question why we consume food without savoring it. He advocates a truly sensuous eating experience. I did it for two weeks, I think, but I decided calorie counting is easier for me. I like to pig out from time to time. But good book, easy read.
Randi
Jun 17, 2009 Randi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of good information and made a lot of sense. I guess I'll edit my review once I see if the system works or not.

I will say this though - I listened to the hypnosis CD before bed last night, and it actually was funny to me. Maybe I'm one of these people who needs to be asleep for it to work...
Mindy
Mar 15, 2009 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well another diet book - but not a diet book! I'm giving it a try. This is the first time since I was 12 that I can actually say I am not on a diet. And it feels really, really good. I feel like I control food - it does not control me for the first time ever. Now lets see if I gain, loose or stay the same :)
Michelle Piper
May 26, 2009 Michelle Piper rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This whole book drags out four principles, eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full, eat what you want, and eat consciously over 100 pages. Save yourself the time and money! Nothing new in this book that we haven't heard before. Blah.
Jonathan
Jan 21, 2009 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic. Don't let the title fool you because it is not a diet book at all. It helps those of us who have been on the diet coaster find a calm and centered way to stop hating food (or loving it too much).
Bryan Jacobson
Apr 11, 2010 Bryan Jacobson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm very glad I got this book. It has a host of useful, common sense techniques and ideas that have really worked for me. The listening CD is a great way to remember and re-enforce the ideas in the book.
Meagan
Nov 20, 2008 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good. Just a common sense approach to weight loss. But it's all so common sense if you're not trying to lose weight. Makes eating more enjoyable and doesn't deny you any of your favourite foods.
Carol
Dec 07, 2011 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to loose weight in a healthy way. It changed my eating habits.
  • Bragg Healthy Lifestyle: Vital Living to 120!
  • Stop the Insanity
  • S.U.M.O. (Shut Up, Move On): The Straight-Talking Guide to Creating and Enjoying a Brilliant Life
  • The Complete Guide to the Tarot
  • I Can Do It: How to Use Affirmations to Change Your Life
  • The Tapping Solution for Weight Loss & Body Confidence: A Woman's Guide to Stressing Less, Weighing Less, and Loving More
  • Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats: Breeds, Care, Dairying
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Get the Life You Want: The Secrets to Quick and Lasting Life Change with Neuro-Linguistic Programming
  • NLP Workbook: A practical guide to achieving the results you want
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • The Self-Esteem Companion: Simple Exercises to Help You Challenge Your Inner Critic and Celebrate Your Personal Strengths
  • The Biggest Loser Fitness Program: Fast, Safe, and Effective Workouts to Target and Tone Your Trouble Spots--Adapted from NBC's Hit Show!
  • Believe It, Be It: How Being the Biggest Loser Won Me Back My Life
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • When Food Is Food & Love Is Love: A Step-By-Step Spiritual Program to Break Free from Emotional Eating
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
Paul McKenna is an English hypnotist and self-improvement author.
McKenna has written and produced books and multimedia products, hosted self-improvement television shows and presents seminars in hypnosis, neuro-linguistic programming, weight loss and motivation.
More about Paul McKenna...

“I've noticed a funny thing about people who are over-weight. They spend all their time thinking about food -except when they're actually eating it” 12 likes