Start by marking “What Happy Women Know: How New Findings in Positive Psychology Can Change Women's Lives for the Better” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The director of Canyon Ranch's award-winning Life Enhancement Program draws on the latest discoveries in psychology and gender-specific medicine to help all women enjoy richer, healthier, more fulfilling lives.

In this innovative book about what brings women happiness, Dr. Dan Baker focuses on the five traps that can compromise happiness and leave women yearning for a bette
Published May 15th 2007 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about What Happy Women Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happy Women Know

jellybean
Mar 02, 2009 jellybean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a shallow book that doesn't really bring anything new to the self-help table, despite the "new findings in positive psychology" subtitle. It was as well-researched as a magazine article, and mostly relied on a handful of anecdotes. Basically, if I can sum up the book for you, "Its how you deal with the cards your dealt".

The book trots out some tried and true maxims on having the right attitude and growing old gracefully, all stuff that its worth reminding oneself, however, the positive
Jeanette Johnson
Dec 02, 2011 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
Take home lessons for me included my identity vs. my job; revenge is a car stuck in the mud; if loving someone is +20 and hating someone is -20, it would still take energy to hate someone, so let them go and put them at 0; every decision is an experiment; happy women are never alone because they don't abasing themselves; your brain isn't wires to think both positively and negatively at the same time, so thinking positively at any time automatically makes you a happier person...
Polka-dot-pin-up
Jan 14, 2011 Polka-dot-pin-up rated it it was amazing
Another book my psychologist suggested I read. Very insightful I saw myself in many of these pages and more importantly learned that happiness is something we think we have with every material possession we gain with every kilo we loose or for the more money we gain but true happiness comes within ourselves and being at peace with ourselves and learning to stand on our own two feet and being our own person
Lori
Aug 01, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
Reminds me to play to my strengths not wallow in my weaknesses!
Patricia
May 18, 2012 Patricia rated it did not like it
Kendra Kettelhut
Jan 09, 2009 Kendra Kettelhut rated it really liked it
When I started this I felt like, I am a pretty happy person, what is this book really going to tell me. Well, even if I felt like a lot of the information was familiar it is always good to have reinforcement. I definitely do not practice all of the things that they recommend... I felt that the book really does a good job of breaking down triggers and traps for what can bring people down and how to avoid these. I think that pretty much any woman could benefit from this book, some more than others ...more
Hannamari
This book displayed the touching life stories of women who have made lemonade out of the lemons that life has handed then. However, the book did not bring any new ground breaking ideas to the table. Instead, it merely stated the obvious: think positive, be proactive, believe in yourself and so on.

The most annoying thing about the book are the underlying values Dr. Baker is pushing to the reader: a woman should have a husband and children and preferably be a stay-at-home mom. Apparently a woman c
V
Jan 14, 2016 V rated it really liked it
Very good book, to be read and meditated on in small doses. Lots of interesting stories about women who know how to be happy despite having had circumstances which could have affected them otherwise. I especially liked the centenarian section and the ten things happy women know section. A good read for any woman, any age, trying to bring more happiness into her life.
Sukree Boodram
Jun 29, 2014 Sukree Boodram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book focuses on positive psychology of women. It address some of the key issues women face today primarily from the emotional aspect. As a survivor of domestic abuse married to an alcoholic for over 20 years, my self confident and esteem took a big hit. I had to work over the years at many attempts to get back on track...some failed and some successful. This book reinforces the important of not loosing one's independence and the steps we can take to 'find ourselves.' It is well written, eas ...more
Kathy Maggiacomo
Jul 07, 2014 Kathy Maggiacomo rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I think this book can me summed up by reading just the sections that the author writes between two solid lines throughout the chapters. He is nice enough to put them all together in a few pages at the end so definitely read that part. I liked the book because it did have some practical advice but I was a bit bored reading some of the stories he uses to get to the point. Plus, as I was reading it , it just sounds sooooo like a man that I found it funny that he was giving advice about what happy w ...more
Suzanne
I've just started reading this one and like it already. The author is very clear from the get-go that hashing up past hurts does very little to help us live a better life. It's about focusing on good things, retraining our minds to see what is right in our lives instead of hunting for flaws all the time, that will bring about positive change not only for us, but for people around us. I'll review this one more completely when I'm done.

As a psych major, it is refreshing to read a professional dis
Rebecca
Apr 06, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was ok
They know not to read a book about women written by two men.
Deborah Tait
Mar 28, 2008 Deborah Tait rated it really liked it
A book that I think most women would benefit from. It is clear, concise yet not the typical 'self-help' book. It includes stories, though not too deep or long, thank you, that help the reader relate to women around the world who try to be 'perfect'. A great read for the perfectionist woman who needs a little advice on how to love herself more, and therefore find some happiness that may not have yet been acquired in life.
Nicole Vital
Jul 22, 2011 Nicole Vital rated it really liked it
I think this book hits the nail on the head with the struggles that women wrestle with in order to be happy. THis book provided me with the opportunity to look at myself and decide what things I can and could do to make myself happier. This book is perfect especially in the highly negative world we can live in you just need to find the beauty in it!
Diane
Jan 12, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
Your grass is greenest where you water it.
Jackson
Aug 06, 2010 Jackson rated it liked it
Some good ideas. I am looking for good ways as shields to protect us when we go back to work. It reminds me of reading diet books, though -- one pretty much knows what to do, it is just the getting down and doing it that is the tough thing.
Tasha
Jan 30, 2008 Tasha rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent. I talks about the things that women believe or have been taught to believe that are wrong and make us unhappy. But it also gives help in how to change that thinking and allow ourselves to be happy.
Eboni
Feb 24, 2009 Eboni is currently reading it
In the beginning I got it. Now it's pissing me off. I kind of cheated and skipped to chapter 11, and still I'm feeling confusesd. I think it could possibl turn out pretty well...we shall see
Christine
Nov 19, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing
This book is a good, solid, clear summary of the basics that make our lives happy and fulfilling. Not groundbreaking, so so what? They have put it together in an accessible volume. I say, thanks!
Cathy
Dec 11, 2009 Cathy rated it it was amazing
A good scientific read (based on brain research)for why some women are happier than others. Pretty much if you are going to have a pity party for yourself, keep it short!
Tee
Dec 20, 2013 Tee rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK. IT GIVES WOMEN INSIGHT ON HOW TO BECOME OPTIMISTIC IN ALL STAGES OF LIFE. I ENJOYED IT, AND WILL DEFINITELY USE WHAT HAPPY WOMEN KNOW POINTS.
Maria
Sep 12, 2008 Maria rated it really liked it
I learned about Martin Seligman's grad work at UPENN and how it has contributed to the field of Positive psychology today.
Danielle
Sep 09, 2009 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Another great advice book. He is inspiring without being a "know-it-all". Makes me want to go to the Canyon Ranch.
Crista Colvin
Jun 22, 2013 Crista Colvin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Stephanie Durso and Dina Stella
Somewhat sexist and paternalistic but found myself wanting to continue reading it.
Anita Smith
One of the best books I have ever read.... positive psychology rocks!!!!
Valerie
Mar 11, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very uplifting in a time when I needed it!
Nikkie Hunt
Feb 04, 2013 Nikkie Hunt rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Opened up my mind and changed my perspective on life!
Carol
May 11, 2008 Carol rated it liked it
Some helpful suggestions
Michelle
Jan 12, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
To my ladies, check it out :)
  • Women Who Think Too Much: How to Break Free of Overthinking and Reclaim Your Life
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • Letters to a Bullied Girl: Messages of Healing and Hope
  • Getting Unstuck: How Dead Ends Become New Paths
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • Controlling People: How to Recognize, Understand, and Deal with People Who Try to Control You
  • Better Single Than Sorry: A No-Regrets Guide to Loving Yourself and Never Settling
  • Meeting at the Crossroads
  • New Fix-It-Yourself Manual
  • How to Succeed at Being Yourself: Finding the Confidence to Fulfill Your Destiny
  • Become Who You Were Born to Be: We All Have a Gift. . . . Have You Discovered Yours?
  • The Five Stages of the Soul: Charting the Spiritual Passages That Shape Our Lives
  • The Writing Diet: Write Yourself Right-Size
  • What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement
  • The Mindful Woman: Gentle Practices for Restoring Calm, Finding Balance, and Opening Your Heart
  • Unconditional Life: Discovering the Power to Fulfill Your Dreams
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Dealing With Toxic & Difficult to Love Personalities
  • Why Do Dogs Have Wet Noses?