Start by marking “To Charles Fort, With Love” as Want to Read:
To Charles Fort, With Love

To Charles Fort, With Love

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  8 reviews
To Charles Fort, With Love is award-winning fantasist Caitl?n R. Kiernan's third collection of short fiction, a haunting parade of the terrible things which may lie beyond the boundaries of science, the minds which may exist beyond psychology, and the forbidden places which will never be located in any orthodox globe.
Published September 1st 2005 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about To Charles Fort, With Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Charles Fort, With Love

The Meat Market by James ChalkThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerRed Harvest by Dashiell HammettBlind Corners by Jemir Robert JohnsonTarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Pulps Past and Present
171st out of 191 books — 73 voters
American Gods by Neil GaimanPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleTagged by Joseph M. ChironPhase 4 by David DennisThe Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Best Weird Fiction Books
158th out of 170 books — 285 voters

More lists with this book...

Annie
WOW. Caitlin Kiernan is amazing and brilliant - every time I read another book of hers I'm just more and more impressed. I think one aspect I love most is the amazing worldbuilding. It's different than the usual way I think of worldbuilding in fantasy - hers is slower and more intricate, threads of ideas winding through all of her work. The connections built between characters throughout all of her short stories and novels give a really deep sense of history that just gets deeper the more you re ...more
Jeremy Preacher
It's probably not fair to only give this three stars when my only real issue with it is that I don't particularly care for horror. There's some really fantastic imagery and tight little portraits of characters that make these short stories very neatly done, and if you're into Lovecraft or a creeping sense of unease then I'd definitely pass these along.

I found them a little light on actual plot to my taste - several of them came across more like paintings than stories, which is not what I'm gener
Jeremiah Genest
Caitlin R. Kiernan’s new collection To Charles Fort, With Love (Subterranean Press, 2005) is a collection of 13 brooding tales about the darker mysteries of life told with a lyrical intensity and a love of all things fortean. This collection is indebted to Lovecraft and Charles Fort in ways that made me very happy to be reading them. An excellent collection that makes me want to go and find her novels and give them a try. I wouldn't call it horror, its more in the stream of fabulists like Powers ...more
Doug
I read only two stories from this collection. Kiernan gives some sense of the mysteries referred to by the late great Charles Fort as the "damned data"--those annoying facts which might expand our awareness of what this reality is, if we drop the biases and filters of our cultural programming. Anyway, the fiction itself wasn't so revelatory but I applaud the effort and the honoring of Fort.
Dexter
What to say besides that Caitlin R. Kiernan is a fantastic author. I first became aware of her work after reading the short story "Onion," published in an anthology edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. "Onion" instantly cemented her reputation as a top-notch writer. This collection is on the same par, and each page of it is a treasure.
Josh Hesterman
Lovecraftian with an extra dash of intelligibility and wit, this volume treads the line between the dark worlds we inhabit with graceful ease, and is a great addition to the subtler modern horrors I adore!
Eddie Watkins
I hate to be ungenerous but I just didn't think these stories were that good. Good ideas, yes, but too verbose, and maybe too in-your-face. But I will give it another try some day down the road.
Jeannie Sloan
What a wonderful book! I can really see how the author has matured through the years. There is less teen angst here and more mature plots. Great book.
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Cat
Cat is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Daniel Hale
Daniel Hale marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Mishka
Mishka marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Apple
Apple marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2014
Nada
Nada marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
sweet peas
sweet peas marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Heidi Ward
Heidi Ward marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Leesi
Leesi marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Constance
Constance marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
DoctorM
DoctorM marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
  • Conjunctions: 39, The New Wave Fabulists
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • The New Weird
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • Blood Oranges (Siobhan Quinn, #1)
  • A Pretty Mouth
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #1)
  • Occultation and Other Stories
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from the 1940's Until Now (Library of America #197)
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • The Great Lover
The Dreaming: Through the Gates of Horn and Ivory The Drowning Girl The Red Tree Silk (Silk, #1) Threshold