Start by marking “The Dreaming: Through the Gates of Horn and Ivory” as Want to Read:
The Dreaming: Through the Gates of Horn and Ivory

The Dreaming: Through the Gates of Horn and Ivory (The Dreaming #15-19, 22-25)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  2,115 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Step through the gates of Horn and Ivory and enter the Kingdom of the Sandman...

Join a white-collar worker who yearns for blue-collar freedom as he takes a special tour of the Dreaming with caretaker Mervyn Pumpkinhead; Spend New Year's Day with two expatriate faeries - Nuala, once a gift to Dream from Queen Titania, and Cluracan, disgraced ambassador to the Royal Court;

T
Published February 22nd 1999 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreaming

Annie
Mar 27, 2009 Annie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2009
Absolutely loved the two Kiernan stories in here - the Corinthan storylines in general never fail to creep me WAY the hell out while simultaneously not letting me put the book down, and Matthew... always awesome to learn more about him. I love the longer stories in this and Sandman better than the shorter ones, on the whole. I think it's mostly because I'm still kind of a beginning graphic novel reader, and the short (one-issue-ish) stories still just feel SO short to me!

Good stuff overall, and
PurplyCookie
Caitlin Kiernan (who wrote two story arcs in this collection made up of 3 issues each) is a worthy successor to the Sandman universe--which is not an easy thing to be--and Peter Hogan (who wrote two short stories) is close.

The Dreaming: 'Day's Work, Night's Rest' Issue #15 >>
Mervyn Pumpkinhead takes center stage in this story (which doesn't happen very often) as he shows a "lost" dreamer what his duties consist of in The Dreaming.

The "lost" dreamer is Robert, a unique kind of self-made
Shane
This book collects The Dreaming #15-19 and #22-25.

Read #15, it was dark, and good. I'm only partially a corporate whore because I work from home, but I have worked in an office and often wonder what it would be to work in a low-paying, physical labor job. Always seems like it would be kind of freeing.

Read #16, I didn't get this one at all. It seemed to have a couple story lines mixed together but I didn't understand if they fit together or why/how.

Read #17-19, Very dark story, reminded me of Th
Izlinda
Jul 17, 2008 Izlinda rated it really liked it
By far, my favorite story was the longer short story and the second Corinthian's...mmm...I suppose facing and dealing with his predecessor's rampage throughout the waking world. Surprising depth and I think it flows well from Neil Gaiman's The Sandman comics.

Jeff Nicholson's artwork in the first story is a little unsettling with the lack of mouths for the most part.

I wish, though, they had used full pages for the covers of the issues for the various stories instead of making them much smaller, e
Kirsten
Feb 05, 2008 Kirsten rated it really liked it
This is a fine, fine follow-up to Neil Gaiman's Sandman. All of these stories remain true to the original vision, and expand upon the lives of the secondary characters in The Sandman series. My favorites were the longer, extended story arc that explores The Corinthian's relationship to his previous incarnation, and Matthew the Raven's ties to the waking world, his former life, and the long line of ravens who came before him. I always loved Matthew, so I really liked having a story devoted entire ...more
Liss Capello
Dec 22, 2016 Liss Capello rated it liked it
The last Sandman-universe thing I'm planning to read, this boasts a different author but the same setting and themes. It was pretty good. I liked parts of it better than others, with my favorite being the arc about Eve and the ravens. I'm still not wild about the Corinthian or any of the stories that pertain to him. It took me awhile to get through this and I suppose it was because I wasn't overwhelmingly excited about where it was going through a goodly portion of it.
Moth Pfunk
Mar 01, 2012 Moth Pfunk rated it it was amazing
Caitlin R Kiernan tells a fresh new story from the original magic, further developing the plot and characters from my favourite story arcs The Dolls House and The Kindly Ones. If you're a Sandman fan you need to read The Dreaming also.
Michelle M
Jun 23, 2010 Michelle M rated it really liked it
A handful of minor characters from the Sandman mythos get the star treatment in this book. I was particularly happy to see the raven Matthew's story. And The Corinthian is always good for a shiver or two.
Samantha
May 12, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Maybe it's been too long since I read the Sandman series. Maybe I'm very literal at school year's end and have trouble with dream landscapes. Either way, I was lost a lot. I didn't love it like I thought I would. Some stories pulled me in; others left me cold.
Amy
May 31, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
This second volume in The Dreaming series is mainly written by Caitlin R. Kiernan, which is all to the good. Includes a horrific arc about the Corinthian.
S Pearlyan
Feb 20, 2012 S Pearlyan rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Some of the stories were creepy (in a nice way). I enjoyed reading all of them. Could've been better, of course. Graphics were nicely done.
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
Trevor Sjotvedt
Trevor Sjotvedt rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2014
Deewikz Kurnia
Deewikz Kurnia rated it did not like it
Jun 23, 2014
Carlos Angelico
Carlos Angelico rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
Brandi Griffin
Brandi Griffin rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2011
Henri
Henri rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2012
FABRICIA
FABRICIA rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Michał Piachu
Michał Piachu rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Garrick
Garrick rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2017
Mikeyd
Mikeyd rated it really liked it
May 27, 2013
Kristin Hoover
Kristin Hoover rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Hellosjk
Hellosjk rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2011
Zahra
Zahra rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2014
Billy Porteous
Billy Porteous rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Mario André
Mario André rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Polly Merase
Polly Merase rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Chili Garlic
Chili Garlic rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Javier
Javier rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2012
  • Dustcovers: The Collected Sandman Covers, 1989-1996
  • The Sandman Companion
  • Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, Vol. 1
  • Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold
Caitlín Rebekah Kiernan (born 26 May 1964) is the author of science fiction and dark fantasy works, including ten novels; many comic books; and more than two hundred published short stories, novellas, and vignettes. She is also the author of scientific papers in the field of paleontology.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Caitlín R. Kiernan...

The Dreaming (2 books)