Start by marking “Immortal Champion (Immortal Brotherhood, #3)” as Want to Read:
Immortal Champion (Immortal Brotherhood, #3)

Immortal Champion (Immortal Brotherhood #3)

Part of a cursed Viking crew, Gunnar the Red must toil through eternity as a half-man, half-beast. Only the magic of true love can release him. Though she is betrothed to another, could Lady Eleanor de Neville be his salvation?
Mass Market Paperback, 316 pages
Published March 31st 2011 by Berkley Sensation (first published January 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Immortal Champion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal Champion

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterDead Reckoning by Charlaine HarrisClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareAngel by James Patterson
The "Can't Wait" Books of 2011
247th out of 624 books — 1,828 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerOutlander by Diana GabaldonDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonVoyager by Diana GabaldonChangeless by Gail Carriger
Historical Paranormal Romance
167th out of 340 books — 403 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 20, 2011 Kimm rated it really liked it
Shape shifting for me is…okay. Historical Fiction…I love. So, when Immortal Champion came on my radar, I thought, why not? Personally, I would have passed on the style of cover, because it usually represents books I don’t have much interest in; however, I had been hearing some good things about this story. So, I took the chance to crawl out of my box of love for Regencies to give it a try.

Okay, now here is the part where I get to GUSH over this book! I loved, loved it! (See what happens when yo
Feb 03, 2012 new_user rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance readers
A hearty golf clap for Ms. Hendrix. Bravo, Ms. Hendrix, bravo. She wound up slowly, but, after two problematic installments, Lisa Hendrix finally throws an outstanding pitch in her third Immortal Brotherhood (IB) novel, Immortal Champion.

Immortal Warrior , IB #1, while a great debut, read lukewarm without enough conflict, peaks or dramas. Immortal Outlaw improved on the original by a passionate hero yet suffered a lackluster plot. Champion delivers on both romance and adventure fronts, follow
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
I love this series, a brilliant combination of historical and paranormal - the premise, a crew of Vikings cursed by an evil witch to roam the Earth either by day or night as their animal totem until they find the woman to break the spell. Each book moves the action forward 100- 150 years and interweaves the magical action with historical people and events of the day. A perfect mix for lovers of historical and paranormals alike.

In Immortal Champion is it the turn of Gunnar the Red, a bull by day
Elisabeth Lane
May 28, 2014 Elisabeth Lane rated it it was amazing
Immortal Champion was my favorite Immortal Brotherhood story yet. I read it in three sittings over the course of two days and that's just because I forced myself to put it down long enough to savor it.

The hero, Gunnar, has been forced into taking the shape of a bull during the day by an evil enchantress, like the rest of his eight friends (including the two who have found love and release from the curse in the previous two books). Heroine Eleanor is a noble lady whose father is determined to mar
In the third series installment, bull shifter Gunnar the Red is travelling with his friend wolf shifter Jafri, when Cwen deepens the bitter cold to England

This entire review and others can be found at:
Sophia (FV)
Jan 14, 2011 Sophia (FV) rated it really liked it
Immortal Champion is the third book in the Immortal Brotherhood series by Lisa Hendrix. Although I did not read the first two books prior to reading Immortal Champion, I had no trouble picking up in the middle of the series. This book can be read as standalone.

Gunnar the Red is part of a group of Viking Warriors that have been cursed with immortality. He lives as a man by night but when the sunrise comes his curse forces him to shift into the form of a bull. Two of his brethren have found love a
LWB Marissa
Jan 19, 2011 LWB Marissa rated it it was amazing
Nine Norse warriors were cursed for eternity by the dark magic of the sorceress Cwen after they had killed her son in a raid for treasure. They were forced to spend half of each day as humans and the other half as beasts, each warrior a different beast. But hopes shines on the horizon for the curse can be broken by finding true love and their amulet. Two warriors broke the sorceress’ curse already, now Cwen is furious and has vowed to never ever let the remaining seven warriors undo her spell. T ...more
Jan 17, 2011 Bookaholics rated it it was amazing
Immortal Champion by Lisa Hendrix
Paranormal Romance- Jan 4th, 2011
4 1/2 5 stars

Cursed by an evil sorceress, nine Viking warriors was transformed into their fylgur, their spirit companion. Each warrior was cursed to immortality and to live half the day as a different animal and the other half as human. The only way to break the curse is to find their respective amulet and true love, which is easier said than done.

Six hundred years after his curse, Gunnar the Red still searches for amulet and the
Nas Dean
Sep 11, 2011 Nas Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IMMORTAL CHAMPION by author Lisa Hendrix is about a man who lives under a wicked witch's curse.

Sir Gunnar lives life as a man during night time only to turn into a bull as soon as the sun rises.

Gunner is haunted by his solitary existence. He is an honorable, kind and brave man. He saves Lady Eleanor de Neville from a certain death when he goes to the aid of some people trapped in a burning building. At the time she was just a teenaged girl.

Lady Eleanor is unable to forget the incredible Knigh
Dec 19, 2010 J rated it really liked it
This is a great love story of a man, Gunnar, and a woman, Eleanor, who defy the odds to claim and protect their love and to LIVE.

A cursed man, Gunnar lives his life of immortality trying to survive and stay undetected. He cannot die, yet, neither can he live the life of a normal man. He tries to keep his curse a secret, yet must expose it to his love to end the curse and become an ordinary man; one who lives a life of love, regret, love, marries, has children and grows old, eventually dying.

Maisey Yates
Nov 17, 2010 Maisey Yates rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to get my hands on this book early...and I'm glad that I did! The third book in the Immortal Brotherhood series, Immortal Champion is Gunnar the Red's story. By night, Gunnar is a man (and what a man!) and at dawn, he's transformed into a bull.

The book opens with Gunnar saving the life of Eleanor, and from that moment, he becomes her champion. She gives her heart to him, even though she's betrothed to another man. Immortal Champion is about love that survives and grows no
Jan 06, 2011 Susi rated it liked it
I have to admit with reading this novel I stepped a bit out of my comfort zone. I love Paranormal Romance but Historicals aren't just made for me. But I really enjoyed Kate Pearce's Kiss of the Rose so I thought perhaps the mix of these two genres could be something for me after all. I did have some struggles with this novel but they were all historical related and all in all it was a good read.

We meet Gunnar, one of a group of cursed Viking Warriors enduring their forsaken life, damned to be i
found Immortal Champion by chance on Amazon under it's freebies list, and am so glad I found it. Every time I think I'm ready to give up on historical romances, along comes a book that changes my mind. In this case it was Immortal Champion that gave me hope that I don't have to break up with this genre after all.

Immortal Champion is book three in the Immortal Brotherhood Series, but can be read as a stand alone. I didn't feel like I missed anything by not reading the first two books in the serie
Feb 16, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
Lisa Hendrix’s Immortal Brotherhood series continues with this third book, Immortal Champion, and it’s a fine addition to the lore. Her history is well-researched, and 15th century England comes to vivid life, with intermarried royals, intrigue, the quest for power, and the struggles of a young woman growing up to be used as a pawn. But Eleanor de Neville proves an unwilling pawn, crossing the chess-board at her father’s command, but ever mindful of love that lies waiting in the form of a curiou ...more
Christine Bell
Mar 05, 2011 Christine Bell rated it it was amazing
My first Lisa Hendrix, but NOT my last. I loved this. Not just the story, but the author's writing was just superb. The attention to detail, the blithe way she sprinkled bits of history throughout (which can sometimes feel so heavyhanded to me in historicals, like the author wants you to know just how much she/he learned while researching. It's the equivalent of "Look what I know!", and drives me bananas). NONE of that here. Super sexy love scenes, loved the characters, but I have to say the thi ...more
May 22, 2011 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults
Shelves: romance, supernatural
Following along in the theme with the first two novels, this book is about a Viking warrior who was cursed to roam his days as a great bull. In 600 years, Gunnar was unable to locate his amulet or the woman who would break the curse, until the day he met Eleanor.

I was very pleased with this book, much like I was the first two. I can't say enough good things about it! It was a magnificently written historical romance with a supernatural touch that will please fans of both genres immensely. Lisa
R.L. Syme
Two words. Viking shapeshifter. Um... I promise to finish the review as soon as I stop fanning myself. Still fanning. Oh, and did I mention it's also medieval? AND set in Yorkshire? I am an absolute sucker for books set in the North of England, to begin with. And then add my complete adoration for "were" books, and my love for Vikings. Lisa Hendrix couldn't possibly have hit it more perfectly if she'd been writing this book specifically for me. It was an absolute masterpiece.

Lisa Hendrix has a f
Apr 27, 2011 Deniz rated it really liked it
A fun idea for a series made all the better by Hendrix's well-paced, tender writing. Each book focuses on how one of the men succeeds in destroying the curse over his head, but tidbits are shared about the other men in the band - now I'm looking forward not only to the next book, but the last one in the series, which I'm guessing will be about the seer in the band of men.

Backstory is deftly woven throughout the book, and I was doubly interested, since I happened to fall on the one book in the se
Nov 02, 2011 Julia rated it liked it
As a historical novel, it was well-written. The plot matched itself to historical facts, the characters mostly acted believably for their time period, and the writing style itself was good.

As a paranormal novel, I felt bored. There was a sub-plot with a witch that in a different novel might have led to some exciting action, but she was irrelevant throughout most of the novel, and by the time she appeared at the end, everything had been settled so perfectly, that I didn't give half a thought to w
Feb 17, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ahhhhh, Gunnar! Gunnar will make you melt. Now here's a REAL man. (Well, a man AND a bull, but let's not be particular.) But about the book.... I absolutely love paranormal historical romances, and this is definitely one of THE best series there is. The mythology is fascinating, and Hendrix has given us a great variety of heroes and heroines so far. Gunnar and Lady Eleanor have got to be one of my favorite romance couples ever. They so belong together, but it seems destiny conspires to keep them ...more
Dec 22, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, galley
Lisa Hendrix has done it again!

Gunnar's story is different from the other books in that it takes place over a course of years rather than weeks. It's sadder, too, when you consider what those years mean to Gunnar and Eleanor. But sometimes that heartache we feel is made so much sweeter when love finds a way to triumph over evil (aka Cwen and her horribleness).

I really liked Eleanor and her spunk and how she was a bit of a hussy. She made me laugh, which always makes the reading experience that m
Beverly Diehl
My fav of the series (so far, am so impatient for the next one). Eleanor is probably one of the strongest heroines in the series, as her love for Gunnar is tested over a period of years. He truly has one of the sweetest characters of our heroes to date, and charming to boot. Loved the scene at the tournament when he bows to the ladies.

The challenges that keep these two apart make it all the better when they come together in the end. There are twists and turns and complications I did not expect -
Ken Liljengren
Oct 11, 2016 Ken Liljengren rated it really liked it
This series is getting better and better.
Hopefully, there will be more books?

Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
The writing in this book is good, but the whole cursed man who spends his days grazing as a bull made me giggle. Also, there were a few too many convenient encounters. When his brothers saw her being kidnapped I just sighed. Seriously, they must live on a very tiny planet considering that him and his animal brother spend their time supposedly traveling far distances so the local folks don't notice their lack of aging and yet every time this damsel is in distress they just happen to come across ...more
Jan 12, 2011 Brenda rated it really liked it
I haven't read too many historical romances, and sometimes it's hard to switch from really fast paced urban fantasy to the more laid back style of a historical. With Immortal Champion, I felt that way for the first few chapters and then I started appreciating the humor, the locations, and the dialog. This is also the first book in the series, and there were a lot of details to soak up at first. I thought the twists at the end were fabulous, and I loved how smart and spunky the heroine ended up b ...more
Sep 17, 2011 Jocelin rated it it was ok
I read the 1st book in the Immortal Brotherhood series and I was not impressed. Sadly, I still am not. The summary on the back of the book really made me want to read this book. The storyline was basically the same premise of the other book. The main male lead goes between being an animal/mammal and a man. That premise is fine but, the story doesn't really push the plot forward. The romance was so-so. I will probably will not pursue the brotherhood any time soon.
Nov 20, 2011 Patti rated it really liked it
This was a great story. I will be picking up the other books in the series. Lisa was a new author to me, but I will be reading more of her books. Gunnar the Red's story of a life lived half the time as a bull and the other half a human was wonderfully written. My heart was breaking for both Gunnar and Eleanor. I was hooked from the beginning and couldn't put it down until it was finished. It's an amazing story of a man, a woman and love.
Feb 09, 2011 Sasha rated it liked it
3.5 stars...
Interesting and engaging. The characters were lovable and the author didn't bog us down in either historical detail or minutiae (for which I am exceedingly grateful). I liked the fact that the hero was a bit thick and he acknowledged that sometimes he's a bit dim. He also wasn't a ham-fisted alpha type either...or at least not much. I enjoyed that as well.

I look forward to reading other books by LH.
Jun 18, 2012 Bobby rated it really liked it
I'm always on the look out for historical paranormal romances so when I saw this at the library I scooped it up. It's not an era I'm particularly interested in but there was just enough history to make it realistic without being overbearing. The characters were three-dimensional and easily relatable for the most part. All in all a very solid read.
Feb 16, 2011 *Angela* rated it liked it
I would rate this 3.5 if I could. I enjoyed this book. The history was a bit confusing, but that was my own fault--the author did a great job with it. I am sure it was challenge for her to do the research and fit the story to it. I liked the characters and will probably read more of this series.
  • Warrior Avenged (Sons of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Captive Spirit (The Dark Crescent Sisterhood, #4)
  • My Immortal Assassin (My Immortals #3)
  • Rebel (The Blades of the Rose, #3)
  • Deception
  • Blood of the Rose (Tudor Vampire Chronicles #2)
  • Frostfire (Kyndred, #3)
  • Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3)
  • Dragon Warrior (Midnight Bay, #2)
  • His Darkest Embrace (Jaguar Warriors, #2)
  • Moon Cursed (Nightcreature, #10)
  • Embrace Me at Dawn (Doomsday Brethren, #5)
  • Rapture Untamed (Feral Warriors, #4)
  • Embrace of the Damned (Brotherhood of the Damned, #1)
  • Moon Burning (Children of the Moon, #3)
Lisa Hendrix grew up in the small towns and 'burbs of Colorado, reading anything she could get her hands on, from fantasy to history to collections of folk tales. Her ongoing Immortal Brotherhood series brings those influences together with cursed Viking warriors in a world where history and myth collide to create love stories for the ages.

Having successfully launched two competent young adults in
More about Lisa Hendrix...

Immortal Brotherhood (5 books)
  • Immortal Warrior (Immortal Brotherhood, #1)
  • Immortal Outlaw (Immortal Brotherhood, #2)
  • Tales of the Valkyries: An Anthology of Short Stories (Viking Romance & Viking Paranormal Romance)
  • Immortal Defender (Immortal Brotherhood, #4)