Start by marking “Thumbing Through Thoreau: A Book of Quotations by Henry David Thoreau” as Want to Read:
Thumbing Through Thoreau: A Book of Quotations by Henry David Thoreau

Thumbing Through Thoreau: A Book of Quotations by Henry David Thoreau

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
On July 4, 1845, when Henry David Thoreau moved into his cabin on the shores of Walden Pond, he was probably unaware that his abode in the woods, and the impact and influence of that endeavor, would forever echo through time. Thoreau was an uncompromising idealist; an ardent maverick who criticized his fellow man. He urged that men and women ought to live more simply, and ...more
Published April 19th 2010 by Tribute Books

To ask other readers questions about Thumbing Through Thoreau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thumbing Through Thoreau

Fergie
Jul 21, 2013 Fergie rated it really liked it
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential fact of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discovered that I had not lived." Thus is the wisdom of Thoreau. A good friend gave me this book for a book signing of my own book -- for which Thoreau's themes were very much present.
I grew up hearing my father recite Thoreau. When his children became old enough to appreciate Walden Pond, he even took us there ju
Freda Labianca
Jun 22, 2010 Freda Labianca rated it it was amazing
For those of you who actually read my blog, know that I host a meme on Saturday named Quote It. So when I had a chance to review one of my favorite philosophers of all time, I jumped at it!
This came in print sheet with no binding, and that didn't bother me once I started. I just couldn't stop and kept on reading. There were a few quotes I had heard before, but I learned quite a few more. Here is my favorite of them:

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.

Truly an inspiring read!! Well
Rachel
Nov 22, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Michelle (True Book Addict)
Kenny Luck was a young man who felt such an affinity toward Thoreau that he spent months studying Thoreau's works from a devotional point of view. He began collecting Thoreau's quotes and soon found that the quotes had relevance to many aspects of life. He decided to compile the quotes into a book to share with others. The book is divided into sections. The sections are Society and Government, Spirituality and Nature, and Love. Kenny also includes an index which enables the reader to quickly loc ...more
Lillie
I received a PDF review copy, which I converted and read on my Kindle (the original model that does not read PDF). The presentation was unappealing and often difficult to read, which I correctly assumed was a result of teh conversion. I haven't seen what the official Kindle edition looks like, though my suspicion is that it isn't very effective. As much as I am a fan of reading on a handheld reader, with a book that is so dependent on layout, PDF is the only ebook format that retains the origina ...more
Val
Apr 03, 2011 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry Thoreau was an idealist. He criticized women and men all around him. Claiming the key to life is to just live simply. Thoreau can be an inspiration to us all.

Kenny Luck was able to sort through a lot of Henry Thoreau’s written works and set aside some of his great quotes. Finding the right quotes out of a series of statements is a hard task to accomplish. Kenny Luck was able to bring Thoreau’s words alive again. He turned his historical work into an inspirational collection.

This book has
Tim
Aug 21, 2010 Tim rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
Open any respectable book of quotations and there's a 99.9 percent change you will see several from Henry David Thoreau. So, one might ask, is the world in need of a book consisting solely of selected quotes from Thoreau's writing? Kenny Luck thought so, believing 'we all could use a dose of Thoreau from time to time.' As a result, Luck compiled Thumbing Through Thoreau: A Book of Quotations by Henry David Thoreau , a book that differs from many collections of Thoreau's quotes or writings in se ...more
Jessica
Sep 01, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Today I am pleased to be able to present a review of the new Thoreau compilation book, Thumbing Through Thoreau. Creator Kenny Luck has brought together all of Thoreau's most profound quotes and separated them into a stunning and easy to reference volume.

Accompanied by gorgeous illustrations, each page boasts a formatted Thoreau quote that literally jumps off the page. One of the things that I personally love most about Thoreau's work is that it is very easy to discern his meaning. With the form
Ziaria
Jun 04, 2010 Ziaria rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed wandering through this book. It is full of fantastic quotes. This would be a perfect book for the coffee table. Something guests could pick up and thumb through. It's one of those books I feel is best read slowly. You want time to digest the quotes inside.

The illustrations are beautiful and yet simplistic in nature. Incredibly fitting for this kind of book. The pictures work very well with all the quotes and I can't imagine the book without them. They play such an important part
Ashley
Jan 20, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it
Originally reviewed on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing

Thumbing Through Thoreau is an illustrated collection of quotations from Henry David Thoreau, compiled by Kenny Luck. According to the introduction, Kenny Luck is an avid fan of Thoreau. In Luck's words, Thoreau is his "literary and intellectual soul mate." This book is his chance to gather the best of Thoreau's writings, ideas, and philosophies into one place and make it accessible for everyone.

Before I go into my review of thi
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Kenny Luck has collected an assortment of quotes from Thoreau and Jay Luke and Ren Adams have illustrated them.

Thanks to the publicist for sending me an unbound galley for review.

I see this review as being in two parts: the quotes and the format.

The quotes are pretty easy. I think most people already have at least a vague idea as to what Henry David Thoreau was all about. Here are some quotes that I marked from this book:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only
Haley Mathiot
Jun 25, 2010 Haley Mathiot rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-bookshelf
Thumbing Through Thoreau
Genre: Inspirational
ISBN: 9780982256541

Rating: 5

Kenny Luck began collecting quotations by Henry David Thoreau in 2006, as a college student. He became inspired by them, and decided to share Thoreau's inspirational words with the world.

There are quotes for everyone in Thumbing Through Thoreau, each one addressing something specific and important, but able to relate to many aspects of life. Some are clever and witty, others are simple truths that we often need to remind ou
Alena Vauter
Jun 02, 2010 Alena Vauter rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect coffee table book! Thoreau's writings are timeless; Luck makes Thoreau's writings very accessible. Under normal circumstances, most people would find it somewhat intimidating to read a book/s written by an author over 150 years ago. (I would not read it voluntarily unless it was a class requirement). Luck did the hard work for us; he edited quotations from multiple books which were written by Thoreau. The beautiful illustrations on each page also add to the character of the b ...more
Jennie Smith
Aug 12, 2010 Jennie Smith rated it it was amazing
I love quotes and have one on my board every day for my students. This book was full of some of Thoreau's greatest quotes and had beautiful illustrations throughout. The collaborations within this book portray the beauty of words as well as the simplicity of nature at its best. This book will make a wonderful addition to a coffee table, classroom, bookshelf, or bedside table because it is one that you want to thumb through and take your time pondering what Thoreau had to say. Beautifully done!

H
Sherry
Nov 01, 2011 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good book. It has lots of quotes from Thoreau and some really nice drawings/illustrations. Every quote is cited and the text has different fonts and colors so it looks very nice.

This would make a great reference book for anyone who likes to use quotations or someone who liked Thoreau. Or a great coffee table book to have as a conversation starter.
Trisha
Sep 17, 2010 Trisha rated it liked it
Thumbing Through Thoreau is a compilation of quotes put together by Kenny Luck and then illustrated by Jay Luke and Ren Adams. It is beautiful. Not for the images, which were wonderfully done, or the words, which are brilliant, but for its ability to make readers think.
Reading For Sanity
Jul 13, 2010 Reading For Sanity rated it it was amazing
read this book and others at http://readingforsanity.blogspot.com/...
Mystee
Jul 27, 2010 Mystee rated it it was amazing
Jay Luke
Aug 17, 2012 Jay Luke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually did half of the black and white illustrations for this book. Truly enjoyable project.
Alan Quinn
Alan Quinn marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2015
Michael Mcleod
Michael Mcleod rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Sara Mitchell
Sara Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2014
Jay Luke
Apr 25, 2014 Jay Luke rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
JENNIFER HUGHES
JENNIFER HUGHES rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Elizabeth Hale
Elizabeth Hale marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Prestige
Prestige marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2012
Sarah added it
Sep 04, 2012
Myckala Meyers
Myckala Meyers marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2012
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2012
Kenny Luck is a graduate student at Marywood University in Scranton, Pa., and holds a Bachelors Degree in History & Political Science from the same institution. He writes for The Weekender an arts and entertainment weekly and The Independent. He is currently working on his second book. He enjoys recording music, book browsing and travel. "
More about Kenny Luck...