Start by marking “Say, Poem” as Want to Read:
Say, Poem

Say, Poem

4.76 of 5 stars 4.76  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Say, Poem contains two long poems, "Say, Poem" and "Say, Joke." The first wraps several shorter poems in meta-textual reference, as if it was being read and explained by the author. "Say, Joke" is a collection of mis-fired jokes that weave a few loose stories in their telling.
Paperback, First, limited, 72 pages
Published May 1st 2010 by Awesome Machine Press

To ask other readers questions about Say, Poem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Say, Poem

David
I picked up this book after hearing Robinson read and I wasn't quite sure what to make of him. Honestly, I'm still not sure...but I definitely enjoyed reading. He has a voice that is unlike any other poet I've read and is humorous, rhythmic, insightful, and interesting...often at the same time. The apparent structure of "Say Poem" as a somewhat stumbling reading itself was particularly interesting (though that is not to slight in any way the really offbeat quips in "Say Joke"). You see a lot of ...more
Tracy
If you need some tips on how to read, here is a dandy guide. More importantly, Adam Robinson flows from poem to prose to instruction with ease. Anyway, I’ve been looking for a better joke about my hands shaking and I found one in this.

Don’t use the jokes unless you employ the Adam Robinson pause. Delivery is key – didn’t you get that?

Say a joke:

“How do you catch a squirrel?
Give up. Move to a shack in the pebble-shorn countryside. Then: wait. As your body counts down to zero, when the shadows ar
William
Part one is constructed in the form of a poetry reading, including introductions of poems and related patter. It's a neat (charming) format that works well. I enjoy reading Adam's blog posts on publishing, which are always instructional. The text between the poems was instructional in way--certainly added a layer to my reading of it. Part two is a conflation of jokes (and riddles), focused on set up and delivery. Just like poetry.
Tyler
Refreshing.

Like Say, Poem more than Say, Joke.

Easy reading. Not fluffy easy, but enjoyable easy.

One question: How would I feel about the poems in Say, Poem section if not in the meta-contextual style, but just the poems?

Like the connected pieces of Say, Joke.

$3=serious good deal.
Matthew Savoca
i loved this book. the parts about god were really fantastic, as were the parts about Thunder, adam's dog who died. i read those parts over and over, as i did with all the jokes in the second section. i'm gonna memorize some and tell them to my neice.
Amelia
Funny and sharp. It feels unburdened by whatever's burdening otherwise smart long poems these days. Best way to spend $3 since the ice cream sandwich.
Kat Dixon
The poems themselves are shaky, but the concept rescues the day.
Nathan
Nathan added it
Nov 15, 2014
Sean Whelan
Sean Whelan marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Aidan
Aidan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Begotxu
Begotxu marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Ángel
Ángel marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2012
Johnvano
Johnvano marked it as to-read
May 31, 2012
Lisa
Lisa added it
Nov 20, 2011
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2011
What Smart Students Know: Maximum Grades. Optimum Learning. Minimum Time. Adam Robison and Other Poems Word Smart Word Smart: Building an Educated Vocabulary Bin Laden: Behind the Mask of the Terrorist