Start by marking “Picking on Retards” as Want to Read:
Picking on Retards

Picking on Retards

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  6 reviews
We are most shaped by the things that we are ashamed of. Ronald "Butcher" Blake is The Man when it comes to high school football in 1988. With the other heroes of the undefeated Mims High School Mustangs he is one of the elite. The untouchable. That is until he takes it upon himself, while showing off for his teammates, to assault and frighten a mentally disabled boy in th ...more
Published April 19th 2010 by Authorhouse

To ask other readers questions about Picking on Retards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picking on Retards

How unfortunate that the title of this book will scare people off before they even give it a chance. Yes the title is provocative, much along the same lines as Stop Being Niggardly and Nine Other Things Black People Need to Stop Doing. Yes, it sounds pretty offensive and I will admit that I didn’t really want to pull it out and start reading it in the doctor’s office waiting room. But, Picking on Retards is not the mean-spirited book that some people are going to assume it is. In fact, it is a c ...more
Lisa Malmquist
I enjoyed this book thoroughly and the earlier book by Mr Carpenter, Mr Undesirable.
I found this after reading a review by Lance Carbuncle here on Goodreads. Thanks for the review and book suggestion.( I knew there was some reason we were connected here on Goodreads.)
This book was a lot more than you might think from the title- in fact you can pretty much forget about getting offended by the title. (there are other things you can be offended about in the book if you like)
The book is about a high
2.5 stars. Agree it's a bad title, as others have noted. I picked this up after reading Scott's earlier work Mr. Undesirable, which I found hilarious. This one not so much. Occasional laughs, but much less than his previous book. Also, the football angle and especially the ending was not believeable, as he depicted a high school team so great that only ONE touchdown was scored against them the whole season prior to the championship game. Many of the story elements just didn't ring true.
David Bunegar
This book first got my attention because of the Goodreads friends' recommendations. I went to go buy it on Amazon and saw all of the character assassination attempts on the author. Of course, that made me buy it. I do get bored with football, but the characters all drew me in. I encourage people to read this book. Please go on Amazon and help the ratings go up. This book was good. The title made me mad, but the story was honest. It makes me mad when people rate books on Amazon or any space witho ...more
Brenda Runco
Truly enjoyed this book. I was a freshman in highschool when the "hero" of this story was a senior and I could so relate to the setting. It made me laugh and could be a little graphic with the sexual content, but it was highschool and SO REAL! It touched me though to know this "hero" was really someone's hero for who he was, not his athletic ability. Great book!
Tess Johnston
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is full of cussing and sex, but since it's about a high school boy so it just seemed real. There were several laugh at loud parts.
Katherine marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Jared added it
Aug 27, 2013
Jared added it
Aug 26, 2013
Kelly Day
Kelly Day marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Nazneen marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
Varun Vyas
Varun Vyas marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
Kelly marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2012
Kilocook marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Dale marked it as to-read
May 27, 2012
Robert marked it as to-read
May 13, 2012
Haley marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2011
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2011
Elena marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2011
Kellen marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2011
Denise Toibes
Denise Toibes marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2011
Michelle Henriott
Michelle Henriott marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2011
Polina Roberge
Polina Roberge marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2011
Tish marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2011
Christina Rogne
Christina Rogne marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2011