Start by marking “Silver Birch, Blood Moon” as Want to Read:
Silver Birch, Blood Moon

Silver Birch, Blood Moon (The Snow White, Blood Red Anthology Series #5)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,159 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The four previous volumes in Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling's anthology series of fairly tales retold with a distinctively modern edge have been hailded by reviewers as "brilliant," "provocative," and "disturbing." In this triumphant new collection of original fiction, twenty-one of today's leading writers spin the cherished fables of childhood into glittering gold--offer ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Eos (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Birch, Blood Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Birch, Blood Moon

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
348th out of 1,913 books — 7,765 voters
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil GaimanFragile Things by Neil GaimanThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyHeroika 1 by Janet E. MorrisThe Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke
Best Fantasy Short Story Collections
68th out of 418 books — 284 voters

More lists with this book...

Carolyn F.
Anthology 3.4 starts

1. Kiss Kiss by Tanith Lee. The story of the princess and the frog without a happy ever after. Good story. ****

2. Carabosse by Delia Sherman. A poem. Ho-hum. **

3. The Price by Patricia Briggs. Retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. I loved this story. *****

4. The Glass Coffin by Caitlin Kiernan. Retelling of Sleeping Beauty in modern times, also without a happy ending. Very good story. *****

5. The Vanishing Virgin by Harvey Jacobs. Retelling/reshaping really of The Flea and the Profes
Jill
Apr 03, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of reworked fairy tales, you will love this book! Excellent short stories by equally excellent authors!
Janet
Jul 02, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I have expressed my love for Ellen Datlow, my love for short stories, and my love of fairy tales often and this book combines all three. It's a definite winner for me!

The book contains twenty-one fairy tales that have been rewritten from another point of view. Whether that's a more modern viewpoint, a darker one, or a completely original take depends on the story itself. There are some incredible authors in this book, like Neil Gaimen and Tanith Lee and some really phenomenal writing. This book
Patrice
The Wild Heart :/
You Wandered Off Like a Foolish Child to Break Your Heart and Mine :/
Arabian Phoenix :)
Toad Rich :)
Sking So Fine and Green :)
The Willful Child, The Black Dog and the Beanstalk :(
Locks :)
Marsh-Magic :)
Toad :/
Miriam
Mar 07, 2011 Miriam rated it liked it
Like most anthologies, some good stories, some just okay, some really not for me. I picked it up because it includes some authors I generally like, but their stories didn't out to be the ones I preferred.
Jessica
Jan 19, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Collection of fairy tales by current writers. Some fantastic twists, reinterpretations, challenging or surprising points of view. Some stories twisted together or completely recreated into a new story. Overall as a collection well done though some stand out more than others.

Interesting to find I have more preferences in fairytales than I thought. Starting a story and realizing that I don't usually like this story but then the writer has changed it so it's not the same old thing. Fun to read.

Ha
Bridgett
Jan 19, 2009 Bridgett rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, just as I loved the other ones:)
Gloria
Jan 16, 2015 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone over 18; fairy tale lovers and dreamers
The introduction talks about two misconceptions people have about fairy tales.

Althea Ann
Sep 28, 2013 Althea Ann rated it really liked it
One of Datlow & Windling's excellent series of anthologies of retold/reimagined fairy tales. Terri Windling's one of the only people I've ever written out & out fan mail to - - I'm just that totally in favor of everything she's worked to espouse in literature...
if you haven't seen her website, check it out! : http://www.endicott-studio.com/

Contents of the book are:

* 1 • Introduction • Terri Windling & Ellen Datlow

* 7 • Kiss Kiss • Tanith Lee

Lee's take on the story of The Frog Prince
Joy
Mar 18, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
Amazon.com Review
Forget about Andrew Lang--Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling argue that fairy tales are not the pastel fantasies of Victorian children's books but rather are drawn with primary passions: love, hate, greed, sacrifice, joy, and sorrow. Silver Birch, Blood Moon is their fifth anthology of original stories with fairy tale sources, "reimagined" for adults.

Nancy Kress retells "The Emperor's New Clothes" with a delightful twist in "Clad in Gossamer"; Harvey Jacobs unleashes laughter with
Liz Banks
I love retold fairy tales which is what this is. I was suckered in by Robin McKinley who wrote a very good one about Marsh People. Neil Gaiman was also a big name in this anthology. His was sweet and very short. Each tale was written by a different author so if you thought one was not top notch, you could go on to the next. All in all, if you like retold fairy tales, this is a good book. I believe this is the 4th of 4 in a series. I'll probably read the others, but not right away.
Nora Peevy
Mar 02, 2014 Nora Peevy rated it really liked it
You can never go wrong with Ellen Datlow. Her collection of reinvented fairytales are great bedtime reading. I've always loved fairytales and I find it fascinating when a writer tells them from a new perspective. This collection had a good selection of authors. I think one of my favorite tales was the first one. There were two that didn't really catch my fancy, but that's not much, really, in an anthology. That's pretty good, but it's also why I can't give this book five stars. I'd recommend thi ...more
Rose Be
Jul 29, 2011 Rose Be added it
Shelves: short-stories
So many of my favorite authors in the same book! Patricia A. McKillip, Robin McKinley, and Neil Gaiman are listed on the cover, but I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the book also has a story by Patricia Briggs, whose work I read ravenously, and Charles de Lint, whose work I am beginning to look for.

I've read several of the anthologies in this series, and I have to say this is my favorite of all of them. The premise of the series, for those unfamiliar with it, is that each of the books i
M.A. Nichols
This review is only for Patricia Briggs', "The Price". It's a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. It's a fun, quick little story that is worth reading. I wish it had been fleshed out more, but it has the feel of an old timey fairy tale, which works just great, but left me wanting more. I’m a big fan of Patricia Briggs, so I enjoyed it.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Mar 27, 2015 Cecilia Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
This series was published before the resurgence in re-imagined fairytales. All the short stories contained in the collection are intended for adult readers.
The introduction is a must read for those interested in the origins of fairy tales and the end of the book provides a great reading list for those who want more.
Selah
May 29, 2016 Selah rated it liked it
Rating and review for Robin McKinley's Marsh-Magic. A McKinley story I've not read? Rushes to read it . . . Oh, no wonder I've never heard of this one. McKinley builds a world, gives it history and backstory, and then gets tired and quits. She's so much better at books.
Jessica
Apr 23, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, darkness
Decent, but wildly uneven stories. Some were amazing, a lot didn't hit me in the right place. Still worth having read.
S. L.
Nov 19, 2014 S. L. rated it it was amazing
This volume is heavy in re-tellings of the Frog Prince, and contains two connected versions of Sleeping Beauty.
Jesse
Jun 08, 2012 Jesse rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
This review is only for Patricia Briggs' story, "The Price". I really enjoyed this retelling of Rumpelstiltskin because it re-evaluates each character's motivations for their actions. I like these reasonings better than the ones I've always heard in the story. The only issue I had was that I didn't really buy the love story...fairy tales don't usually give you enough time to get to know characters enough to "ship" them, but this one just seemed a bit of a stretch. However, as usual, this is fant ...more
Kelley
Aug 15, 2016 Kelley rated it really liked it
This is the book that got me started looking for new takes on fairy tales.
Barbra
Nov 15, 2014 Barbra rated it it was ok
Not what I had hoped.
Metagion
Mar 07, 2014 Metagion rated it it was amazing
This book belongs in a library of well-loved fairy tales, and has such wonderful stories! Each tale is a modern spin on a classic tale, such as Rumplestilskin, and has the reader draw its own conclusions. Wonderful book :)
Morgan Pugh
Aug 12, 2010 Morgan Pugh rated it really liked it
A jealous prince plots the destruction of his hated brother's wedding by inventing a "magic" suit of clothing visible only to the pure at heart. A young girl's strange fairy tale obsession results in a brutal murder. An embittered mother cares for her slowly dying son who is trapped in a thicket that guards a sleeping beauty. In a bleak and desolate industrial wasteland, a group of violent outcasts lays the tattered myths of one Millennium to rest, and gives terrifying birth to those of the next ...more
Kate
Aug 04, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
My favorite moment in reading this anthology of fairy tales was stumbling on a short story by Robin McKinley that I'd never read before. Marsh-Magic is not my favorite of her stories, but I still found it beautiful and friendly, despite its dark tone.

Many of the stories in this anthology are dark, including a few that I found a bit too dark for my taste. There was also one (trigger warning)(view spoiler)
Friedrich Haas
Dec 04, 2014 Friedrich Haas rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As a young girl, the Disney fantasies seem delightful, but they set dangerous expectations as you go into womanhood. Here are some more realistic imaginings of those same tales.
Nicole
Aug 26, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairytales, anthology
I only read:

The Price by Patricia Briggs

This anthology collects modern retellings of fairytales, and I LOVED Patricia Briggs' retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. That was never a favorite tale of mine, but she transformed it and made it really sweet and lovely. I wish I had more time to read from this anthology. I'll have to check it out again from the library in the near future...
Lindsay
Jun 08, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a pretty decent collection. I like Terri Windling's collections of rewritten fairy tales, though some of them get really repetetive (ie: all men are rapists, all fathers molest their daughters, etc, etc), and that gets annoying. But there were some rather interesting retellings - the ones of "Sleeping Beauty" and "The Emperor's New Clothes" - stood out the most.
Dunninghousehold
Aug 19, 2007 Dunninghousehold marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Haven't read this one, yet - it's very hard to find and usually expensive when you do. A used paperback starts from about $15, a new paperback can be between $25-35. Some very famous writers in here, coupled with the fact that this is the tamest of the series, makes this one very valuable to those "in the know" of this breed of darker faerie tale.
Debbie
Nov 07, 2008 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy and fairy tales
Shelves: fantasy
Another must have compilation for fans of fairy tales and folk tales. This book is chock full of stories to suit every taste. Even if you don't like every tale in this book, I'm sure there will be enough to catch your attention that it will be worth your while to own. These tales are powerful, moving, thought-provoking and just plain enjoyable.
Anna
Nov 05, 2010 Anna rated it liked it
I picked this book up because of Patricia Briggs' contribution. Her entry was wonderful, as is all her writing. The others were hit or miss. The compilation as a whole got to be a little redundant with multiple retelling of the same tale.
  • Fitcher's Brides
  • The Armless Maiden: And Other Tales for Childhood's Survivors
  • White as Snow
  • The Nightingale
  • Happily Ever After
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Don't Bet on the Prince: Contemporary Feminist Fairy Tales in North America and England
  • Twice Upon a Time
  • Once Upon a Crime
  • The Wild Swans (Faerie Tale)
  • The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold
  • Tam Lin
  • Once Upon a Time
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • Imaginary Friends
  • The Yellow Fairy Book
  • Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter
More about Ellen Datlow...

The Snow White, Blood Red Anthology Series (6 books)
  • Snow White, Blood Red