Start by marking “Mais c'est à toi que je pense” as Want to Read:
Mais c'est à toi que je pense

Mais c'est à toi que je pense

Pour Thomas, Arnold, Rebecca et Christopher, c'est la fin du supplice.
Ils viennent d'échapper à leur tortionnaire, un tueur en série pédophile qui les séquestrait depuis des années. Mais une nouvelle épreuve les attend: et si on les avait oubliés? et si on ne les aimait plus? Horriblement défigurés et mutilés, ils ont besoin d'un adulte pour les ramener à leurs parents, qu
Published April 16th 2010 by Bragelonne (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mais c'est à toi que je pense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mais c'est à toi que je pense

Bandit
Sep 18, 2013 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I had to some up in one word what the reading experience of this book was, it would probably have to be...devastating. Just like a certain infamous Jack Ketchum book, there is such brutality against children here, such horrific repeated child abuse, so much hideous sadistic violence that the book reads like an emotional hurricane. It's a very difficult read too. The quality of Braunbeck's writing is at its finest here, in his first foray into a nonsupernatural horror. For all that, this is by ...more
Bill
Jan 14, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
When I read In Silent Graves by Gary Braunbeck, I was sure that I found another favorite author. That novel was very well constructed and there were many passages that made me stop and ponder what he said.

I don't know what happened here, but Prodigal Blues comes nowhere close to that quality of writing. I found a lot of the dialogue to be awkward, and I couldn't really buy into the weird relationship between Christopher and Mark. Specifically,
(view spoiler)
David Agranoff
It was hard but spoiler free...

Ghouls, vampires and ghosts are the subject of a great majority of horror fiction novels. Perhaps the most grotesque of horror novels and the most frightening are the non-supernatural horror novel grounded completely in reality. Some of the best novels in this sub-genre as for me include Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z.Brite, Testament by David Morrell and The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. Now I can add Braunbeck's brutal masterpiece about child abuse Prodigal Blues.
Thebossinthewall
This book is amazing, however, if you haven't, DO NOT read the short intro on this book. Its best read not knowing what the book's premise is. Not to aid in mystery, but how it will affect you emotionally. This book will make you feel intensely. It is dark fiction without supernatural elements, no trying to tell if someone's insane or the ghosts are real, etc. All of what occurs is real. It hurts(emotionally) you to read this and it will be worth it; the writing will compel you, the characters t ...more
Lon Prater
Jan 11, 2015 Lon Prater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I was already a huge fan of both +Gary Braunbeck the person and the writer, so I'm surprised it took me so long to read this after +Brian J. Shoopman told me it was available. Not quite horror, but horrific. Not quite a crime novel, but there are terrible crimes at its heart. I'm a sucker for a road trip stories as it is, and this uniquely Braunbeckian journey really hits you where it hurts. In the end leaves you glad that it did. Highly recommended.
Nick
Jun 03, 2016 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely crushing read. I'm going to go cry and cry and cry now.
Mike Mehalek
Apr 28, 2014 Mike Mehalek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Braunbeck is one of my favorite storytellers. I partially read this and partially listened as an audiobook and found what I always do when it comes to Braunbeck's works: make reading the #1 priority in my life. I stop whatever is going on and immerse myself in the story. I use every free second to keep reading and take twice as long as it should to read because 1. I don't want the story to end and 2. I find myself re-reading passages because of just how good Braunbeck is with language, cadence, ...more
Bob
May 25, 2008 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Braunbeck is a master storyteller. He doen't resort to the extreme in the ways of sex and violence. This novel, however, may have been better as a short story, or as a possible novella. The plot doesn't hold up to novel length. I think this book would have benefited from more violence, and possibly even a little gut wrenching horror. It's not on par with his overall work. It is a good, fast read, but I feel he could have made it a little more exciting. Don't get me wrong; normally, Braunbeck doe ...more
Miriam Michalak
Oct 27, 2014 Miriam Michalak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was a roller-coaster ride! I picked this book up thinking the premiss sounded interesting (guy sees missing-girl poster at a truck-stop and recognises the girl as one he had seen earlier in a van. He decides to try & help).

So, a crime/thriller I thought. What I got was definitely a thriller, a thriller filled with the most awful child abuse, brutality, hideous violence, kidnapping, sadism & mutilation which I wasn't expecting I must say.

Did I enjoy it? YES! Was it a well writt
Hunchback Jack
Dec 31, 2013 Hunchback Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding novel that pulls your emotions in every direction possible. Great (if damaged) characters, wonderful dialogue, and a suspenseful and unpredictable plot. There are scenes of violence, horrible child abuse, suspense and redemption, but none is gratuitous or exploitative.

I will definitely read Braunbeck's next novel (or short story collection, if that comes out next).
Rebecca McNutt
I loved the nostalgia and suspense in this novel; it's a chilling mystery that gets more suspenseful with each new page. If you're a fan of horror, I highly recommend it, it's definitely worth reading and an excellent addition to any crime or horror collection.
Althéa
Sep 10, 2013 Althéa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know yet if I need to cry, to scream or to hide myself in a rabbit hole.
Kahlan
Sep 29, 2012 Kahlan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
C’est à l’occasion de l’une des opérations promotionnelles des éditions Bragelonne sur le numérique que j’ai découvert l’existence de ce roman, dont le quatrième de couverture a su m’intriguer. Gary A. Braunbeck est a priori un nouvelliste réputé et prolifique, ayant également écrit une dizaine de romans. Je n’avais jamais entendu parler de lui, honte à moi car il semble qu’il ait remporté plusieurs fois le prestigieux Bram Stoker Award, ce n’est pas rien quand même ! Et Mais c'est à toi que je ...more
Trev Twinem
Jul 17, 2012 Trev Twinem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! Not often do I read a horror/crime (I suppose it cuts across the two genres) story that is emotionally powerful and uplifting yet with an ultimately sad conclusion.Mark Sieber's world is turned upside down when he is seemingly captured by a group of kids ranging in age from 12-19. As the story unfolds Mark has a mission to deliver the kids back to their parents and kill the perpetrator "Grendel" who should inflict such horror pain and mutilation on those so innocent. The reader is wi ...more
Claire Kreutzberger
Attention, livre à ne pas mettre entre toutes les mains. A mon sens, âmes sensibles s'abstenir et réserver cette lecture à un public adulte. Voilà le premier point.

Ensuite, s'agissant de l'ouvrage à proprement parler: un roman très noir, difficile à classer, dans lequel tout tourne autour de la psychologie des personnages.

Pour ne pas dévoiler l'histoire,je me contenterai de dire qu'elle concerne quatre ados en plus de Mark, le personnage principal. L'originalité du livre tient au parti pris de
Yousra
Apr 12, 2016 Yousra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is a phenomemon! THE BEST BOOK I'VE EVER READ SO FAR IN MY LIFE. Mostly because it's about my favorite subject (Snuff movies). I'm writing a review soon.

Ce roman est un phénomène, je crois que c'est le meilleur roman que j'ai pu lire à ce jour , je dis ça surtout parce que ça traite de mon sujet préféré et sur lequel il y a beaucoup d'ombre (Les snuff movies) Si vous connaissez un roman traitant du même sujet n'hésitez pas à me le proposer.
Kurt Criscione
Oct 21, 2011 Kurt Criscione rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, proof
Holy hell... emotionally charged as ever... Gary can always write about things that make me uncomfortable, even angry... and yet at the same time he can drop in some truely great characters and some really funny moments... its all REAL horrors, abused and tortured children, really makes you think. By far the best book i've read from Gary.
Craig
Jul 20, 2008 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An extremely intense, emotionally wringing exploration of child abuse told with insight and compassion. It shows that twisted facets of humanity are far more terrifying and horrible than any supernatural threat. This is an amazingly moving volume.
Jason
May 12, 2008 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Braunbeck has reminded me of why he is one of the best writers out there today. The last 100 pages were simply some of the most enjoyable and emotional reading I experienced in awhile.
NormaCenva
Mar 08, 2016 NormaCenva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read - masterfully worded, full of suspense, quite realistic, and with a dark sense of humor. What more can you want from a book?
Mari
Mari rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Slyth
Slyth rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Mike Burns
Mike Burns rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Ryan Thomas
Ryan Thomas rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2008
Adam James
Adam James rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2013
Bj Hunter
Bj Hunter rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Ashuandswati
Ashuandswati rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Janie C.
Janie C. rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Megi Zaharieva
Megi Zaharieva rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dread in the Beast
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
  • Benjamin's Parasite
  • Damnable
  • Darling
  • Black Wind
  • The Hollower
Gary A. Braunbeck is a prolific author who writes mysteries, thrillers, science fiction, fantasy, horror, and mainstream literature. He is the author of 19 books; his fiction has been translated into Japanese, French, Italian, Russian and German. Nearly 200 of his short stories have appeared in various publications.

His fiction has received several awards, including the Bram Stoker Award in 2003 fo
More about Gary A. Braunbeck...