Start by marking “Pukka: The Pup After Merle” as Want to Read:

Pukka: The Pup After Merle
Published October 27th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pukka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pukka

Camille
Nov 18, 2010 Camille rated it really liked it
WARNING!!! Merle's Door spoiler ahead (sort of).

So, if you can't guess by the title of this book, Merle passes away at the end of Merle's Door.

So, Ted Kerasote received tons of emails and letters asking him if he ever got a new dog after his adventures with Merle.

Well, Pukka: The Pup After Merle has the answer. Yes.

Ted Kerasote adopted Pukka several years later when he found he had again found his kindred spirit in a dog.

Pukka is a young dog that looks somewhat similar to Merle and has a similar
Diane
Sep 28, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing
Don't read this book with any thoughts of analyzing it, that's not what it is about. It's simply meant to enjoy Pukka the pup's charming little voice telling of his first 6 months in this world and all of the wonder and beauty and he sees in Wyoming, Yellowstone Park, and all his adventures with his human, Ted. s I was reading it, I kept thinking that I wish every dog that is born into this world could be blessed with such a life as Pukka.

This is a follow up tale to Merle's Door, which was anoth
Gmr
Nov 22, 2010 Gmr rated it really liked it
Okay, this is one of those quick reads story wise but the accompanying photographs are what will give you paws...excuse me, pause. Seriously...once I picked it up, I finished it in a sitting. EVERY PAGE has a photo to take you along on Pukka and Ted's adventures. From the adorably cute to those captured on their many wilderness hikes, it seems this pair though still in the beginning phases of their relationship (as Pukka is only 6 months old by the book's end) have created a strong bond of frien ...more
Debbie
Nov 09, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Wasn't sure how I'd feel about Pukka - cause I loooooooooooooved Merle. But the way this book is presented, you can't help but to love Pukka too. So adorable! So glad Ted found another pup to love!
gina
Oct 08, 2010 gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, dogs
Yay! Life after Merle. Merles Door is one of those "life changing" books for me that I read after getting my first dog. I cannot, absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on Kerasote's new book.

Update: 11-10-10
This is an easy read. You could finish it in an hour no problem. It has large beautiful pictures on each page with a small sentence or paragraph written by Pukka about how he came to live with Ted and what his life is like. It's quite a change from Kerasote's part biography/part academic tre
Pat
Nov 05, 2010 Pat rated it really liked it
Love this book! Its mostly a pictorial story with written lines by Pukka himself. Whenever he refers to "Merle," having read and loved that book it would choke me up. Merle was really "some dog!" I'm happy to see that Ted Kersote has been able to bring another dog into his life after Merle. A very quick but wonderful read!
Perri
Aug 01, 2013 Perri rated it liked it
Just picked book up because of the cover and lots of cute puppy pics inside. It's a short photo story about the puppy the author adopted after Merle-a book I now plan to read
Linda
Mar 01, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it
Cute, but loved Merle's Door!
Kristin
Feb 11, 2011 Kristin rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Merle's Door and couldn't wait to read this follow up. In Pukka, Kerasote makes up for the lone fault I could find in Merle's Door, too few pictures. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who wanted more pictures of Ted, Merle, and their life together because this book is cover-to-cover photographs. While short on words (each picture is captioned with a few sentences of explanation), the pictures more than adequately tell Pukka's story.
Kerasote clearly figures many readers of Pukk
Pringle
Aug 03, 2013 Pringle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
What a sweet little book!

This is the story of Ted's new puppy after the great dog, Merle, passed on. Merle certainly has some big paws to fill, and it looks like Pukka is just the one for the job.

The story is told in photos and text together, written from Pukka's perspective. It is charming and touched me. Probably because I'm going through the loss of our wonderful dog, Katie.

We've gotten a new puppy as well, and JoJo is working hard to fill Katie's big paws. She's doing well with it.

Pukka's s
Scott Lupo
Jul 23, 2012 Scott Lupo rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Just happened to pick this up and read it during a lunch break. I loved the idea of the book. Each page is a picture with a small narrative taken from the point of view of Pukka the dog during his first year of growing up. A sweet story for those of you who are dog lovers. Especially for those of you who have had a dog pass away and still haven't made the plunge to get another one. This book may push you over the edge and have you visiting humane societies and looking through ads online or in th ...more
Melanie
Apr 25, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Ted and his way of being a partner with his dog when I read his book "Merle's Door". This book is a photo style book told by Pukka, Ted's new dog. I want to adopt Ted's style of partnering with our dogs, and letting them BE. This book is wonderful. The photographs say so much more than words. I love the photos in this book with Pukka describing each photo. Thank you Ted for another wonderful story of love and how to fully share of lives with our dogs!
Nicole
Sep 01, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This is the follow-up to Merle's Door. After Merle's passing, Ted adopts a new puppy, Pukka. The first six months of Pukka's life are chronicled in this book. This book makes up for what Merle's Door was lacking: pictures. Beautiful photos of the puppy, Pukka, in the Wyoming mountains. I can't wait to read more about Pukka's adventures as he grows up. Also looking forward to Ted's next book this fall: Why Dogs Die So Young.
Julie
Aug 17, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
I had to check out this gorgeous photographic book of the life of Pukka-the sequel to the amazing book "Merle's Door." It was heartbreaking to say goodbye to Merle, but Pukka seems to be filling his shoes quite well. However, no one will ever replace Merle in Ted's eyes and heart. This was a beautiful picture book and a sweet story. I give this book 5 stars because it was beautifully photographed and helped ease the pain of losing one of the best book dogs I have come to know; Merle.
Jami
Apr 05, 2013 Jami rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this picture book of Pukka! It was interesting to me to be able to see some of the places that Merle was and where he lived. I noticed that in one picture of Pukka in the house, there was a picture of Merle on the wall. I also had never been to Wyoming or seen many pictures of it, so it was nice to see a pictoral representation of the area. And, of course, the captions narrated by Pukka were cute!
Lynda
Jan 24, 2016 Lynda rated it liked it
A cute follow up story to Merle's Door. I liked Merle's Door better because it went into some dog psychology and the relations between dog and man. This one was a lot of pictures - which was great and I liked it being told from the puppy's point of view - although it's kind of cliche for me now -- but there wasn't enough story. The puppy is too young to really compare the adventures with those of Merle.
Mary (BookHounds)
This is a beautiful story told in pictures and suitable for any dog lover's coffee table. It is a book that you will want to display and read again. This book tells about the author's new dog after losing his beloved Merle. It documents Pukka growth with lovely photos that any dog lover will appreciate. This would make an excellent holiday gift for that special dog lover in your life.
Lisa
Nov 17, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
A picture book from the author of Merle's Door. Got to see how Ted picked his new puppy, and happy for him finally got one. Other than a book record Pukka's life before 6 months, it also possess a hint of "how to" raise puppy, all in the stunning beautiful home at the foothill of Grand Tetons. This one is a keeper, my first new book in a long time.
Moira
Nov 13, 2013 Moira rated it really liked it
A charming book with terrific photos. The text is quite brief but packs a lot of information and snippets of dog care into it. I agree that dogs should be allowed to stop and sniff their surroundings. Reading their "wee mail" we used to call it. I dislike the "I'm in charge and the dogs goes for walks on MY terms"school.

Lovely book. recommended.
Aleksandra Branka
Pukka

I read books about Marley and Pukka and this one is just wonderful addition to those other two. Basically it's dog's view on growing up with its human, new discoveries every day and training.
It's funny and insightful. Reading it you know that human knows his dog by being with and observing that adorable pup.
Gayle Gordon
Mar 07, 2013 Gayle Gordon rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a cute book written from the pup's perspective. I read it on an old Kindle, though, so I didn't get the benefit of the pretty pictures. I could see them, but they were in black and white. I still have it in my Amazon account, so when I upgrade to a newer Kindle I can look at it again in color.
I wanted to read this because I loved Merle's Door.
Stargazer
Mar 20, 2012 Stargazer rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-under-12s
Perfect for younger readers - I was really looking forward to Garth Stein's 'Racing in the Rain' for this purpose after the excellent 'The Art of Racing in the Rain', but it isn't really suited to younger readers as claimed. Merle's Door was great,but too adult for what I was looking for,but this is ideal.
Bethe
Aug 10, 2011 Bethe rated it it was ok
I know this book is a different format than "Merle's Door" but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Maybe because it was a bit long... I am a huge dog lover but close to 200 pages of cute lab photos was more than enough for me. Loved the scenery, having been to Jackson Hole a few years ago. Perhaps Pukka will return to print when he has a few more adventures under his collar?
Sally Smith
Feb 21, 2011 Sally Smith rated it really liked it
There's nothing like a heartwarming puppy story to make my day. Apparently this author wrote an earlier book about his previous dog entitled "Merle's Door." Merle has gone on to doggy heaven. I'll have to go back and read that one. Pukka, The Pup After Merle is actually a picture book, with lots of beautiful color photos of the west.
Robert
Apr 26, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
A 30 minute read written in Pukka's point of view. He covers his first few months of puppyhood transitioning to life with Ted. This is an illustrated book with great photos of life at home near the Tetons and rafting trips in Idaho. Unfortunately, no skiing or hunting yet but maybe in the next book.
Lori Zavada
Nov 13, 2011 Lori Zavada rated it it was amazing
As expected, this is an awesome book! I was surprised that the book is content short and photo heavy. However, the words still move the reader to chuckle, tear up and feel good inside. I recommend reading Merle's Door first to understand Ted's (the author) life before Pukka. I read this book in about an hour. Ted and Pukka have the life! Cheers to them!
Shaun
Nov 04, 2010 Shaun rated it liked it
I enjoyed Merle's Door, I liked this book too! Done as a book with photos, it reads sort of like a childs picture book, only for adults. Loved the pictures and brief descriptions of Pukka's adventures making for an entertaining story told from a puppy's point of view.
Westcoast_girl
Jul 16, 2013 Westcoast_girl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dog lovers, adventurers
This is an endearing book filled with great photos.
Good for any dog lover.

I read it right before I adopted my own puppy. Reading it really helped excite me and get my imagination going about what things I can do with my own dog.
Claudia
Jan 24, 2011 Claudia rated it really liked it
I loved Ted Kerasote's book "Merle's Door" and this is a picture book about his new puppy. Beautiful pictures and a very cute puppy that he gets to take everywhere with him. Now, if only the rest of us were able to take our dogs to the mall, internet cafes, etc.
Cayr
Jan 26, 2014 Cayr rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
This is a sweet picture book suitable for all ages. It is a photographic diary of Ted Kerasote's acquisition of a new puppy some time after losing his dog, Merle. The photos are beautiful, and the text (told from Pukka's point of view) accompanying each one adds to the enjoyment.
  • Huck: The Remarkable True Story of How One Lost Puppy Taught a Family - and a Whole Town - About Hope and Happy Endings
  • A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Last Dog on the Hill: The Extraordinary Life of Lou
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Shelter Dogs
  • Through a Dog's Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • What the Dog Did: Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner
Ted Kerasote's writing has spanned the globe and appeared in dozens of periodicals and anthologies, including Audubon, National Geographic Traveler, Outside, Salon, and The New York Times. He is also the author and editor of six books, one of which, Out There: In the Wild in a Wired Age, won the National Outdoor Book Award. He lives in Wyoming.
More about Ted Kerasote...