Pukka: The Pup After Merle

Pukka: The Pup After Merle

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Since the publication of the best-selling Merle’s Door, Ted Kerasote has received thousands of e-mails asking two questions: “Have you gotten another dog?” and “Are you writing a new book?” Pukka: The Pup After Merle answers both, in the most heartwarming way.

Told in Pukka’s charming voice and accompanied by more than 200 photos, Pukka: The Pup After Merle tells the story...more
Published October 27th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published September 29th 2010)

Diane D.
Don't read this book with any thoughts of analyzing it, that's not what it is about. It's simply meant to enjoy Pukka the pup's charming little voice telling of his first 6 months in this world and all of the wonder and beauty and he sees in Wyoming, Yellowstone Park, and all his adventures with his human, Ted. s I was reading it, I kept thinking that I wish every dog that is born into this world could be blessed with such a life as Pukka.

This is a follow up tale to Merle's Door, which was anoth...more
Gmr
Okay, this is one of those quick reads story wise but the accompanying photographs are what will give you paws...excuse me, pause. Seriously...once I picked it up, I finished it in a sitting. EVERY PAGE has a photo to take you along on Pukka and Ted's adventures. From the adorably cute to those captured on their many wilderness hikes, it seems this pair though still in the beginning phases of their relationship (as Pukka is only 6 months old by the book's end) have created a strong bond of frien...more
Camille
WARNING!!! Merle's Door spoiler ahead (sort of).

So, if you can't guess by the title of this book, Merle passes away at the end of Merle's Door.

So, Ted Kerasote received tons of emails and letters asking him if he ever got a new dog after his adventures with Merle.

Well, Pukka: The Pup After Merle has the answer. Yes.

Ted Kerasote adopted Pukka several years later when he found he had again found his kindred spirit in a dog.

Pukka is a young dog that looks somewhat similar to Merle and has a similar...more
gina
Yay! Life after Merle. Merles Door is one of those "life changing" books for me that I read after getting my first dog. I cannot, absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on Kerasote's new book.

Update: 11-10-10
This is an easy read. You could finish it in an hour no problem. It has large beautiful pictures on each page with a small sentence or paragraph written by Pukka about how he came to live with Ted and what his life is like. It's quite a change from Kerasote's part biography/part academic tre...more
Debbie
Wasn't sure how I'd feel about Pukka - cause I loooooooooooooved Merle. But the way this book is presented, you can't help but to love Pukka too. So adorable! So glad Ted found another pup to love!
Kristin
I absolutely loved Merle's Door and couldn't wait to read this follow up. In Pukka, Kerasote makes up for the lone fault I could find in Merle's Door, too few pictures. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who wanted more pictures of Ted, Merle, and their life together because this book is cover-to-cover photographs. While short on words (each picture is captioned with a few sentences of explanation), the pictures more than adequately tell Pukka's story.
Kerasote clearly figures many readers of Pukk...more
Pringlecmptrdog.net
What a sweet little book!

This is the story of Ted's new puppy after the great dog, Merle, passed on. Merle certainly has some big paws to fill, and it looks like Pukka is just the one for the job.

The story is told in photos and text together, written from Pukka's perspective. It is charming and touched me. Probably because I'm going through the loss of our wonderful dog, Katie.

We've gotten a new puppy as well, and JoJo is working hard to fill Katie's big paws. She's doing well with it.

Pukka's s...more
Scott Lupo
Just happened to pick this up and read it during a lunch break. I loved the idea of the book. Each page is a picture with a small narrative taken from the point of view of Pukka the dog during his first year of growing up. A sweet story for those of you who are dog lovers. Especially for those of you who have had a dog pass away and still haven't made the plunge to get another one. This book may push you over the edge and have you visiting humane societies and looking through ads online or in th...more
Cayr
Feb 09, 2014 Cayr rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: dogs
This is a sweet picture book suitable for all ages. It is a photographic diary of Ted Kerasote's acquisition of a new puppy some time after losing his dog, Merle. The photos are beautiful, and the text (told from Pukka's point of view) accompanying each one adds to the enjoyment.
Julie
I had to check out this gorgeous photographic book of the life of Pukka-the sequel to the amazing book "Merle's Door." It was heartbreaking to say goodbye to Merle, but Pukka seems to be filling his shoes quite well. However, no one will ever replace Merle in Ted's eyes and heart. This was a beautiful picture book and a sweet story. I give this book 5 stars because it was beautifully photographed and helped ease the pain of losing one of the best book dogs I have come to know; Merle.
Amy
A very light and loving look at a growing puppy's changing world. The photos are wonderful and make the tale memorable.
Nicole
This is the follow-up to Merle's Door. After Merle's passing, Ted adopts a new puppy, Pukka. The first six months of Pukka's life are chronicled in this book. This book makes up for what Merle's Door was lacking: pictures. Beautiful photos of the puppy, Pukka, in the Wyoming mountains. I can't wait to read more about Pukka's adventures as he grows up. Also looking forward to Ted's next book this fall: Why Dogs Die So Young.
Morgandy Caye
If you love dogs, you'll enjoy Ted's books! His insight into his dog's mind and the way he allows his dogs to learn and make their own decisions is wonderful. His ideas and methods have changed the way I interact with my dog. Thanks Ted!
Jami
I enjoyed this picture book of Pukka! It was interesting to me to be able to see some of the places that Merle was and where he lived. I noticed that in one picture of Pukka in the house, there was a picture of Merle on the wall. I also had never been to Wyoming or seen many pictures of it, so it was nice to see a pictoral representation of the area. And, of course, the captions narrated by Pukka were cute!
Mary (BookHounds)
This is a beautiful story told in pictures and suitable for any dog lover's coffee table. It is a book that you will want to display and read again. This book tells about the author's new dog after losing his beloved Merle. It documents Pukka growth with lovely photos that any dog lover will appreciate. This would make an excellent holiday gift for that special dog lover in your life.
Bethe
I know this book is a different format than "Merle's Door" but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Maybe because it was a bit long... I am a huge dog lover but close to 200 pages of cute lab photos was more than enough for me. Loved the scenery, having been to Jackson Hole a few years ago. Perhaps Pukka will return to print when he has a few more adventures under his collar?
Lisa
A picture book from the author of Merle's Door. Got to see how Ted picked his new puppy, and happy for him finally got one. Other than a book record Pukka's life before 6 months, it also possess a hint of "how to" raise puppy, all in the stunning beautiful home at the foothill of Grand Tetons. This one is a keeper, my first new book in a long time.
Lori Zavada
As expected, this is an awesome book! I was surprised that the book is content short and photo heavy. However, the words still move the reader to chuckle, tear up and feel good inside. I recommend reading Merle's Door first to understand Ted's (the author) life before Pukka. I read this book in about an hour. Ted and Pukka have the life! Cheers to them!
Moira
A charming book with terrific photos. The text is quite brief but packs a lot of information and snippets of dog care into it. I agree that dogs should be allowed to stop and sniff their surroundings. Reading their "wee mail" we used to call it. I dislike the "I'm in charge and the dogs goes for walks on MY terms"school.

Lovely book. recommended.
Gayle Gordon
This is a cute book written from the pup's perspective. I read it on an old Kindle, though, so I didn't get the benefit of the pretty pictures. I could see them, but they were in black and white. I still have it in my Amazon account, so when I upgrade to a newer Kindle I can look at it again in color.
I wanted to read this because I loved Merle's Door.
Sally Smith
There's nothing like a heartwarming puppy story to make my day. Apparently this author wrote an earlier book about his previous dog entitled "Merle's Door." Merle has gone on to doggy heaven. I'll have to go back and read that one. Pukka, The Pup After Merle is actually a picture book, with lots of beautiful color photos of the west.
Pat
Love this book! Its mostly a pictorial story with written lines by Pukka himself. Whenever he refers to "Merle," having read and loved that book it would choke me up. Merle was really "some dog!" I'm happy to see that Ted Kersote has been able to bring another dog into his life after Merle. A very quick but wonderful read!
Stargazer
Perfect for younger readers - I was really looking forward to Garth Stein's 'Racing in the Rain' for this purpose after the excellent 'The Art of Racing in the Rain', but it isn't really suited to younger readers as claimed. Merle's Door was great,but too adult for what I was looking for,but this is ideal.
Robert
A 30 minute read written in Pukka's point of view. He covers his first few months of puppyhood transitioning to life with Ted. This is an illustrated book with great photos of life at home near the Tetons and rafting trips in Idaho. Unfortunately, no skiing or hunting yet but maybe in the next book.
Barb
I thought this was going to be a book with a story. It's mostly all pictures and a few sentences about the picture. I love dogs and pictures, but gave it only two stars cause I thought it was going to be something I could read.

This book would be cute to let a child look through the pictures.
Shaunna
I enjoyed Merle's Door, I liked this book too! Done as a book with photos, it reads sort of like a childs picture book, only for adults. Loved the pictures and brief descriptions of Pukka's adventures making for an entertaining story told from a puppy's point of view.
Claudia
I loved Ted Kerasote's book "Merle's Door" and this is a picture book about his new puppy. Beautiful pictures and a very cute puppy that he gets to take everywhere with him. Now, if only the rest of us were able to take our dogs to the mall, internet cafes, etc.
Cindy
A charming pup tells of his life as the new dog companion to a writer whose best seller was about his old dog . . . lots of great pictures, and I'm sure an instant hit if you previously read Merle's Door.

Guess I'm going to have to read that now, eventually!
Wendy
I didn't realize this was a story told in photos and some words but I love how it was written from the dog's point of view. I loved reading about Merle and how Pukka fit into Merle's very large footprints. A must read for anyone who loved Merle's Door!
Elizabeth
Not written in the same manner as Merle's Door. This is more of a picture book with captions from the dog's point of view. More of a coffee table book than a sit down and read book. Not what I expected so was disappointed. Glad I got it on sale.
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Huck: The Remarkable True Story of How One Lost Puppy Taught a Family - and a Whole Town - About Hope and Happy Endings
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Last Dog on the Hill: The Extraordinary Life of Lou
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman She Rescued
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs
Ted Kerasote's writing has spanned the globe and appeared in dozens of periodicals and anthologies, including Audubon, National Geographic Traveler, Outside, Salon, and The New York Times. He is also the author and editor of six books, one of which, Out There: In the Wild in a Wired Age, won the National Outdoor Book Award. He lives in Wyoming.
More about Ted Kerasote...
Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog Pukka's Promise: The Quest for Longer-Lived Dogs Out There Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt (Kodansha globe series) Navigations: One Man Explores The Americas And Discovers Himself