Start by marking “Kingfish Kingfish” as Want to Read:
Kingfish Kingfish

Kingfish Kingfish

From the moment he took office as governor in 1928 to the day an assassin's bullet cut him down in 1935, Huey Long wielded all but dictatorial control over the state of Louisiana. A man of shamelessambition and ruthless vindictiveness, Long orchestrated elections, hired and fired thousands at will, and deployed the state militia as his personal police force. And yet, parad ...more
Published March 25th 2009 by Random House Trade (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Kingfish Kingfish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingfish Kingfish

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Huey P. Long was a richard cranium and a rooster lollipop. The only wonder is that he wasn't killed sooner. He certainly put the 'ass' in assassination.

Thank you, Mr. White, for providing a thorough and highly readable account.

Jaret
Feb 29, 2016 Jaret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay book about an interesting man. The information was very well-researched. I'm from Louisiana and I'm very familiar with the "Huey Long School of Politics", but even I learned new things from this book. For instance, I never knew the animosity between Roosevelt and Long. I did like how the author tried to explain all sides to the story. He did not blame Huey entirely for everything and pointed out things others did that were just as bad (or worse depending on your perspective) as ...more
Spike
Mar 03, 2014 Spike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not much of a non-fiction reader, and only picked this up because my son checked it out from the library. The writer's style is very engaging. He manages to keep the narrative drive lively and interesting, despite the many names and details presented throughout.
I knew little about Huey Long before reading this. Now I feel at least my knowledge is adequate. I highly recommend this for anyone interested in the history of Louisiana politics or in Huey Long himself. And guess what? Huey Long was
Kenneth Iltz
Mar 23, 2017 Kenneth Iltz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
Donald Trump is not the first delusional demagogue to run for president. In the 1930s an equally irresponsible although better qualified candidate challenged the political establishment on a basis of half-baked ideas and a massively inflated ego. Long before “the Donald” was “the Kingfish,” Louisiana governor and senator Huey Long. Long could no more hide his delusions of grandeur than Trump can today.

Kareem
Jul 27, 2014 Kareem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This guy really was a character. He seemed to be blessed with the ability to p. a lot of people off, and inspired loyalty, too. Someone upstairs must have tapped him on the shoulder when he was born and said "You are born to be a politician." The author details the feuds he had and the crazy things he did fairly well. Maybe there are longer bios about Huey Long out there. This was not a bad 'short' one.
Brian Skillin
Nov 24, 2016 Brian Skillin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling read

Splendiferous. First bio of Long I've read, and it sets the bar pretty high for those to follow. Critical, yet written in such a way as to seem completely unbiased, which is a must in great biographies. Highly recommend.
Kim
Feb 22, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty darn entertaining. As someone else said, it is a miracle he wasn't killed sooner. Huey was a character and it is very apparent to me now why many of the laws in Louisiana (and even lack thereof, especially with regard to gubernatorial power) are all because of him.
Al Berry
Nov 15, 2016 Al Berry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid biography on Progressive Demagogue Huey Long, though given how much time is dedicated to Long's Fights with FDR as a senator, his role in the democratic convention of 32 is barely touched upon.
Mary
Apr 22, 2016 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish. May finish in the fall
ZachM
ZachM rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Monique Landry
Monique Landry rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Greg Meyer
Greg Meyer rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Philip Lafrenière
Philip Lafrenière rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Brian Dunn
Brian Dunn rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Rickey
Rickey rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Jake Wiley
Jake Wiley rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2014
Jonathan Soileau
Jonathan Soileau rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Michele Bradley
Michele Bradley rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Cam Edwards
Cam Edwards rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Tim Harrison
Tim Harrison rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
chuck
chuck rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Jessie Graham
Jessie Graham rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Lucy Morrison
Lucy Morrison rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Alexw
Alexw rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Liza
Liza rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2017
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Tony Mullen
Tony Mullen rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015