Start by marking “Robin Hood And His Merry Men” as Want to Read:
Robin Hood And His Merry Men

Robin Hood And His Merry Men

The legend of Robin Hood is over a thousand years old, but it was Vivian's novel that collected and distilled many of the legends and stories and combined them into the great classic we know today, with Robin and Maid Marian, Friar Tuck, and the evil Prince John.
Published 1937 by Ward, Lock & Co., Limited (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Robin Hood And His Merry Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robin Hood And His Merry Men

Oct 07, 2015 Marklessgirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so hard to rate, why you may be asking is it? Fine, I will tell you this book is awesome! And a really fast read with a lot of emotion and I loved it seeing as this is the most original/unabridged version of this story that I can fined it was very well written and as it is old English, I did have to re-read/go over some of the lines to know what was going on but still was a tiny bit confusing in one or two parts and that is all of the things I have problems with and I do think this ...more
Good telling of the Robin Hood legend. Lots of battles and includes his marriage to Marion and their deaths.
Oct 13, 2008 Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome version of Robin Hood! The illos are great, including some of the classics by Pyle, some glitzy old hollywood images and some old medieval manuscript type images. The text is from the turn of the century, and so has this really classic, heroic flavor to it that you just don't get with modern writing--but it is short enough and quick-moving enough that you don't get really mired down in the difficult language. I actually missed my train stop while engrossed in this one! Recomme ...more
Feb 02, 2009 Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The adventure of Robin Hood was 3 of 5 stars.The only part I didn't like about the book was the older words that are a little difficult to understand.Anyway the story was ok by the means of the excitment like when Robin Hood and his merry men were in battle.The band of Robin Hoods clan trying to live off the land was breath taking.In the end in the depths of sherwood forest robbing and scaring people off the land and Robin Hood still young.
Although this lacks the lyrical quality of many other tales of Robin Hood, this compilation of the many stories of the outlaw and his followers is well worth reading by any who may be interested in his story.
Probably my favorite of the Robin Hood novels. Charles Vivian did a fantastic job of combining many of the legends and compiling them in a way that actually felt more like a story of his life then short chapter vignettes, while keeping true to those legends.
Old English was hard to follow. I needed a character list to keep track of the different names certain people were sometimes referred to as. And there had to be more than one person with the same first name?!? But the action was wonderful and exciting!
Ralph McEwen
Sep 23, 2011 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This version of the Robin Hood tale came across very well in the audio book format. The reader Dan Elsea portrayed the characters vividly and I could visualize the scenes with ease. I also enjoyed the fact that the tale is complete to the end of Robin’s life.
Apr 13, 2011 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No wonder the legend of Robin Hood has lived for so long. This is a good story. The reader has to wade through some more difficult and old-fashioned words, however, it wasn't too bad. It might even be good for us to learn a little more about our native tongue.
Oct 12, 2009 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, robin-hood
I was thrilled to discover this version in a second hand shop as it was this book the Robin of Sherwood series took names from and a few of the ideas as well. Its an elegant telling, though the language is more dated and fun to read and spot which parts the TV series took and adapted.
Jun 10, 2012 Echo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, books-in-12
I loved this book. I've always loved the stories about Robin Hood (the Disney cartoon was one of my favorite movies as a little girl, and also the source of my first crush), and this reminded me of why. The stories were fascinating. The art was also beautiful.
May 23, 2008 Tamaki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great because I was curious about what would happen nect when Robin Hood shot his arrow to the apple on his son's head!
Interesting book. It was nice to read this and get a different perspective on Robin Hood. I would like to go and read some other versions now to see the differences.
Sarah Messick-Milone
Joshua loved it, despite the archaic language. I just liked it.

"What did you like about it, Josh?"

"The archery."
Hannah rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Cayla rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Mark B Snyder
Mark B Snyder rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Anna Rose
Anna Rose rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Elaine rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Sue rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2009
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2009
Mariah Gonzalez
Mariah Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Jul 07, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-lit, 2013
Listened to on audio - very old-fashioned
Kathryn Allison
Kathryn Allison rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2014
Tom Seitzinger
Tom Seitzinger rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Aug 03, 2016 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By E. Charles Vivian
Dave/Maggie Bean
Dave/Maggie Bean rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Brian T Carter
Brian T Carter rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2014
Alex Kendall
Alex Kendall rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Blossom Comes Home
  • Tucky Jo and Little Heart
  • Melisande
  • The Island of the Skog
  • Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
  • Marven of the Great North Woods
  • Winter Holiday (Swallows and Amazons, #4)
  • The Royal Road to Romance: Travelers' Tales Classics
  • Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888
  • The Seven Silly Eaters
  • The Echo of Greece
  • Blues
Working name of UK editor and author of popular fiction (1882-1947), born Charles Henry Cannell but apparently changing his name legally to Evelyn Charles Henry Vivian in early adulthood, though he wrote some non-genre novels as Charles Cannell, and some short fiction as by Sydney Barrie Lynd, Galbraith Nicolson and A. K. Walton.

Prior to becoming a writer, Cannell was a former soldier in the Boer
More about E. Charles Vivian...