Start by marking “Mind Time: The Temporal Factor in Consciousness” as Want to Read:
Mind Time: The Temporal Factor in Consciousness

Mind Time: The Temporal Factor in Consciousness

Our subjective inner life is what really matters to us as human beings--and yet we know relatively little about how it arises. Over a long and distinguished career Benjamin Libet has conducted experiments that have helped us see, in clear and concrete ways, how the brain produces conscious awareness. For the first time, Libet gives his own account of these experiments and ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Harvard University Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Time

Jeffrey
Feb 09, 2009 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The scientific evidence that not only is our conscious perception of the world shifted back in time to compensate for the .5 second delay that is an effect of our perceptual apparatus, but that our conscious "decisions" may actually originate in the unconscious and that we live an illusion of being in control. Or rather, the only control we may have is a veto power that allows us to select from a shower of impulses that trickle down out of our unconsciousness. Subliminal or sublime?
Necho
Jun 17, 2012 Necho rated it liked it
Shelves: neuroscience
Embarrassingly, I'll admit that The main reason for me reading this book, was for its contribution to the free will vs. determinism debate. This made me feel biased to pick up only the details that suited my purpose and expectations, which is not intellectually honest at all. Nevertheless, I am genuinely interested in neuroscience but lack knowledge the technicalities and experimental procedures of the field. Hence, the descriptions of experimental neoroscience in this book, were way above my ...more
Xing
May 20, 2010 Xing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based mainly on experiments done in Libet's lab on task-performing humans. Not a substitute for reading the primary literature, but highly engaging, accessible and thoughtful, and pointedly logical. A good book to recommend to non-neuroscientist friends who are intrigued about (or have never previously contemplated) the differences between various components of awareness (detection of sensory input to the brain, assembly of signals into non-conscious and/or conscious awareness).

Reminds you of t
Ben
Sep 29, 2010 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-not-crap
The writing is stilted and at times redundant. He's not much of an author. It gets five stars because the research he talks about is pretty mind-blowing (pun partially intended). Our consciousness has a time delay. Life is reverbed before it reaches us. No kidding!
Darnell
Apr 17, 2016 Darnell rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent book for exploring Libet's experiments in human consciousness, but it isn't interested in going much beyond that. There's some philosophy and discussion of free will, but I didn't find that nearly as useful.
Schlingel
Jan 21, 2008 Schlingel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who is interrested in the colleration between your mind and your brain.
It contains pretty much information and no suggestions which are not proven by experiments. The experiments are well described and the conclusions are good explained!
James Kearnan
James Kearnan rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015
Lea
Lea rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Poetry Train
Poetry Train rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2016
Dj Southlove
Dj Southlove rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2014
Snader
Snader rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Adam Rugen
Adam Rugen rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Alicia Joy
Alicia Joy rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Michał Matusiewicz
Michał Matusiewicz rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Hazem Shoirah
Hazem Shoirah rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Markus
Markus rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Igor Korousic
Igor Korousic rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2010
Rich
Rich rated it it was ok
May 28, 2015
Vg Jayam
Vg Jayam rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Ronald Michalsky
Ronald Michalsky rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Andrew Cary
Andrew Cary rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2014
UK
UK rated it really liked it
May 14, 2012
Derek
Derek rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Benjamin Kuper-smith
Benjamin Kuper-smith rated it did not like it
May 08, 2014
Toby
Toby rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Jac Ang
Jac Ang rated it liked it
May 07, 2013
Nemain
Nemain rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2015
Đàm Lĩnh
Đàm Lĩnh rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014