Start by marking “365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!” as Want to Read:
365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!

365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  305 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The concept of Noah Scalin’s "365 method" is simple but inspired: Choose a theme or medium, then make something every day for a year. Noah made 365 skull-themed projects . . . now he invites you to choose your obsession and get creative!
The book offers 365 project prompts to kick start your creativity, plus plenty of room for journaling, sketching, and jotting down ideas.
Published December 9th 2010 by Voyageur Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 365, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 365

1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse by Garth Johnson1000 Jewelry Inspirations (mini) by Sandra SalamonyFa la la la Felt by Amanda CarestioLearning to Weave by Deborah ChandlerColor Works by Deb Menz
CREATE!
8th out of 127 books — 16 voters
365 Tao by Ming-Dao Deng365 Bedtime Stories by Nan Gilbert365 by Noah Scalin365 Tarot Spreads by Sasha GrahamKen Jennings's Trivia Almanac by Ken Jennings
Most interesting "365" titles
3rd out of 17 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Jul 20, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
Where to begin???? So many thoughts but they are not organized in my head. I love creating but I don't find time to do it. I say to myself I am going to do this or that each day. I never really do though. I saw this book at Borders and picked it up without really looking at it. I love his attitude about creating. I love how he encourages flexibility and willingness to fail in whatever project one would consider to do. Some of the daily projects he mentions I have seen online. I love reading abou ...more
Irene Ziegler
Feb 11, 2011 Irene Ziegler rated it really liked it
This book is for the person who may have uttered, "I'm not very creative." We're all creative people; perhaps not all of us are producing, or leading creative lives. This journal is not intended to do your creating for you, or even lead you toward Scalin's idea of the creative life. Instead, like any good teacher, Scalin introduces you to your own creative muscles and shows you how to turn ideas into art, one day at a time. That the process is fun, thoughtful, and often challenging gives this su ...more
Meena Khalili
Mar 13, 2016 Meena Khalili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a GREAT resource for inspiration!!! As a professor of graphic design and a practicing designer and illustrator I sing the praises of 365 Expanded Edition: A Daily Creativity Journal in two parts: In the classroom and in the studio.

In the classroom, students are provided with a fun structure for creativity and inspiration that can supplement instruction. This allows an instructor to give larger scale projects while students use 365: A Daily Creativity Journal through the semester to help fa
mim
May 18, 2011 mim rated it it was amazing
I'm enjoying reading this book. So many ideas. It also works as a calendar, even if you don't do any of the suggestions. This book will actually never be finished but will become a reference book. Although, I might use it as an actual journal once I finish my current one.
Lady Reese Kightkens
I absolutely loved this book! It is so simple and yet so genius.

Do something creative for 365 days. As an artist, there are days when the ideas just disappear. Noah Scalin's book gives ideas, inspiration, and encouragement to get the creative mind in gear. In this new edition, there are enough prompts for one year plus an additional month. Each prompt allows for your mind to start when there was nothing there to begin with. Or it can allow you to take a simple idea suggested and turn it into a c
Noah
Mar 07, 2016 Noah added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The new edition of my book is now available!
Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Noah's creative prompts and stories about other project-a-day people are super inspiring! This book is like a choose-your-own-adventure book for creative types who want to make stuff and explore ideas. Helps to spur creativity and keep you accountable in a fun way.
Monica
Jul 15, 2015 Monica rated it it was amazing
Un cuaderno con 365 actividades creativas para cada día. En cada una de ellas hay una breve explicación y un espacio, en dónde puedes añadir una fotografía con la actividad realizada.
Alguna de las actividades a realizar:
- preguntar a un extraño una sugerencia para realizar ése día
- Hacer un mapa de un sitio ficticio
- Mirar al cielo cuando el sol se pone e inspirado por ésto, realizar algo creativo
- Haz algo que no sea considerado bonito o achuchable
- Inventa un nuevo deporte y convence a otros
Amy Kopperude
Jan 26, 2013 Amy Kopperude rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough how inspiring this journal is for the creative soul. I am so thankful for my own 365 experience and how it led to the publication of Bead Bugs! This journal has created a huge community of connectivity through various online 365 projects that absolutely astound me. Mr. Scalin has done more than write a book of creativity prompts!
Noran Miss Pumkin
Feb 28, 2011 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, crafts, 2011
I bought this book, after reading about the authors DIY art project he did, and reviewing his blog/website. I am trying to gear up to start my own year project--just stuck on a starting point/also i am not artistic talented either.
Jacqueline Bartelmo
Nov 29, 2010 Jacqueline Bartelmo rated it it was amazing
This book is very good. When I first. Picked it up I thought it was just a craft journal but as I read it I realized it was something much more. This book has inspired me to do my own year long project.
Robin Selby
Jan 20, 2011 Robin Selby rated it it was amazing

A wonderful pathway for all us blocked creators!
Mike Ogilvie
Aug 21, 2012 Mike Ogilvie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-helpful
Picking up 365: A Daily Creativity Journal, I was looking to inspire myself with ways to push creativity in my job to new levels. (Full disclosure: the author, Noah Scalin, happens to be a friend of mine, so it was something I wanted to read anyway). This book accomplished its goal for me and was even a lot of fun to read, too.

I work in what is typically considered a non-creative field - computer programming. However, there are a lot of creative elements that go into properly designing and build
CJ
Mar 11, 2012 CJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
The idea of doing a 365 project intrigues me. At the same time, it terrifies me. I keep inching closer to the thought of committing to creating something every day for an entire year. Can I do it? Yes. Will I do it? I don't know. Every time I get close to thinking I'm going to start, something urges caution and I delay again. I'm afraid of getting lazy or bored or distracted.

Scalin's 365 project was skulls. He created some brilliant art work - a giant snow skull, a skull involving ketchup and mu
Doug Jennings
Jun 20, 2013 Doug Jennings rated it it was amazing
I'm late in adding this to my "finished/read" category on the Goodreads site. I completed it 6 months ago. This DIY journal with creativity prompts by Noah Scalin was a tremendous help to me in further developing a comic character, Tigrikorn. I was at a point where I needed fresh inspiration and this book provided that abundantly. I recommend it for any creative project/theme -- whether visual, literary, musical or other. It actually took me two years to complete and I'm still mining the materia ...more
Morgan Parabola
Apr 07, 2016 Morgan Parabola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good source for creative inspiration. To be honest there were a few I skipped over, but for the most part I've been sticking with it and found it to be really helpful for inspiring my creativity. Usually I go beyond the suggestion and end up with something I'm really proud of, other times I'm content to go a more simpler direction. Either way, loved this!
Micki Smith
Sep 05, 2014 Micki Smith rated it it was amazing
Planning on using this in an art class for my daughter's homeschooled sophomore year. Very clever ideas.
Ruth Shores
Jan 14, 2016 Ruth Shores rated it really liked it
Great motivation! Lots of excellent ideas.
Carly Grote
Mar 19, 2016 Carly Grote is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Just won this in a giveaway, will update review once I receive it.
Maggie
Dec 27, 2011 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
After not drawing or being creative for a few years I'm ready to get back on track. Lots of exciting ideas spinning through my head because of this book. I believe this book is great for anyone interested in tapping into their creative side.
Christina
Jan 13, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
It was ok. Lots of ideas but I probably won't use any of them. I didn't find it that creative and was really hoping for art medium suggestions and how-to's instead of "Make something blue today. Make something with food today."
Emilie
Dec 28, 2012 Emilie rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It can be used as intended (one prompt each day for 365 days) or, as I use it, for a jump start for creativity when I am feeling crafty without a direction. It's a great book for anyone, creative or not.
Terri
Jan 05, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-52-in-52
Tara
Feb 04, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing
Great inspirational book! After reading through this and looking at Noah Scalin's own 365 project, Skull A Day, I have started my own 365 day project. http://sun-a-day.blogspot.com/
Jane
Mar 12, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Lots of fun creative ideas. I don't know if I'll ever get around to doing it myself--well, at least not until I retire, but I'm going to use this in my classroom.
Jennifer Maloney
May 22, 2012 Jennifer Maloney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Fun book! I skimmed through it today and started my own 365 project on The Letter A.
Clarice
Mar 18, 2016 Clarice rated it liked it
I can't wait to get this book, I have big plans to do a 365 project which might turn into a 52 week project instead depending on time and commitments.
Marya
Mar 17, 2011 Marya rated it it was amazing
Wish I had time to do a 365 project. This book really gets the creative side thinking.
Tiffiny
Jun 22, 2011 Tiffiny rated it it was amazing
I will continue to go through this book for years - very inspiring!
Paul Scott
Paul Scott marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • Listography Journal: Your Life in Lists
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Raw Art Journaling
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder
Noah Scalin is an artist and author based in Richmond, Virginia. Noah is the creator of the Webby Award winning art project Skull-A-Day . His fine art has been exhibited in museums and galleries internationally, including the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia, the International Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago, and Krause Gallery in NYC. He also co-runs the art & innovation consulting firm he ...more
More about Noah Scalin...