365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!

365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The concept of Noah Scalin’s "365 method" is simple but inspired: Choose a theme or medium, then make something every day for a year. Noah made 365 skull-themed projects . . . now he invites you to choose your obsession and get creative!
The book offers 365 project prompts to kick start your creativity, plus plenty of room for journaling, sketching, and jotting down ideas....more
Published December 9th 2010 by Voyageur Press

Where to begin???? So many thoughts but they are not organized in my head. I love creating but I don't find time to do it. I say to myself I am going to do this or that each day. I never really do though. I saw this book at Borders and picked it up without really looking at it. I love his attitude about creating. I love how he encourages flexibility and willingness to fail in whatever project one would consider to do. Some of the daily projects he mentions I have seen online. I love reading abou...more
mim
I'm enjoying reading this book. So many ideas. It also works as a calendar, even if you don't do any of the suggestions. This book will actually never be finished but will become a reference book. Although, I might use it as an actual journal once I finish my current one.
Irene Ziegler
This book is for the person who may have uttered, "I'm not very creative." We're all creative people; perhaps not all of us are producing, or leading creative lives. This journal is not intended to do your creating for you, or even lead you toward Scalin's idea of the creative life. Instead, like any good teacher, Scalin introduces you to your own creative muscles and shows you how to turn ideas into art, one day at a time. That the process is fun, thoughtful, and often challenging gives this su...more
Amy Kopperude
I cannot say enough how inspiring this journal is for the creative soul. I am so thankful for my own 365 experience and how it led to the publication of Bead Bugs! This journal has created a huge community of connectivity through various online 365 projects that absolutely astound me. Mr. Scalin has done more than write a book of creativity prompts!
Noran Miss Pumkin
I bought this book, after reading about the authors DIY art project he did, and reviewing his blog/website. I am trying to gear up to start my own year project--just stuck on a starting point/also i am not artistic talented either.
Jacqueline Bartelmo
This book is very good. When I first. Picked it up I thought it was just a craft journal but as I read it I realized it was something much more. This book has inspired me to do my own year long project.
Robin Selby

A wonderful pathway for all us blocked creators!
Mike Ogilvie
Picking up 365: A Daily Creativity Journal, I was looking to inspire myself with ways to push creativity in my job to new levels. (Full disclosure: the author, Noah Scalin, happens to be a friend of mine, so it was something I wanted to read anyway). This book accomplished its goal for me and was even a lot of fun to read, too.

I work in what is typically considered a non-creative field - computer programming. However, there are a lot of creative elements that go into properly designing and build...more
CJ
The idea of doing a 365 project intrigues me. At the same time, it terrifies me. I keep inching closer to the thought of committing to creating something every day for an entire year. Can I do it? Yes. Will I do it? I don't know. Every time I get close to thinking I'm going to start, something urges caution and I delay again. I'm afraid of getting lazy or bored or distracted.

Scalin's 365 project was skulls. He created some brilliant art work - a giant snow skull, a skull involving ketchup and mu...more
Doug Jennings
I'm late in adding this to my "finished/read" category on the Goodreads site. I completed it 6 months ago. This DIY journal with creativity prompts by Noah Scalin was a tremendous help to me in further developing a comic character, Tigrikorn. I was at a point where I needed fresh inspiration and this book provided that abundantly. I recommend it for any creative project/theme -- whether visual, literary, musical or other. It actually took me two years to complete and I'm still mining the materia...more
Marcia
Mar 09, 2014 Marcia rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Cara Barnes
Recommended to Marcia by: Frankie Slaughter
I'm using this book to do something creative each day. I'm not actually writing in it, but rather, randomly selecting a page, then drawing, doodling, writing in another smaller sketchbook. Then colouring or using water colour pencils to make it a bit more interesting. This was suggested by a friend who is doing this. A great way to kick off the day and waking up creatively.
Maggie
After not drawing or being creative for a few years I'm ready to get back on track. Lots of exciting ideas spinning through my head because of this book. I believe this book is great for anyone interested in tapping into their creative side.
Christina
It was ok. Lots of ideas but I probably won't use any of them. I didn't find it that creative and was really hoping for art medium suggestions and how-to's instead of "Make something blue today. Make something with food today."
Emilie
I love this book! It can be used as intended (one prompt each day for 365 days) or, as I use it, for a jump start for creativity when I am feeling crafty without a direction. It's a great book for anyone, creative or not.
Terri
Tara
Great inspirational book! After reading through this and looking at Noah Scalin's own 365 project, Skull A Day, I have started my own 365 day project. http://sun-a-day.blogspot.com/
Jane
Lots of fun creative ideas. I don't know if I'll ever get around to doing it myself--well, at least not until I retire, but I'm going to use this in my classroom.
Jennifer Maloney
Fun book! I skimmed through it today and started my own 365 project on The Letter A.
Clarice
Jun 01, 2011 Clarice marked it as to-read
I can't wait to get this book, I have big plans to do a 365 project which might turn into a 52 week project instead depending on time and commitments.
Marya
Wish I had time to do a 365 project. This book really gets the creative side thinking.
Tiffiny
I will continue to go through this book for years - very inspiring!
Mary Louise
Lovely book. So inspiring...

Keeping it in my Kindle.
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Danielle Stengel
Danielle Stengel marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Tracie
Tracie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Aldene
Aldene marked it as to-read
Mia Ramirez
Mia Ramirez marked it as to-read
Karissa
Karissa marked it as to-read
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • The Guerilla Art Kit
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Listography Journal: Your Life in Lists
  • 344 Questions: The Creative Person's Do-It-Yourself Guide to Insight, Survival, and Artistic Fulfillment
  • Photojojo!: Insanely Great  Photo Projects and DIY Ideas
Noah Scalin is a Richmond, Virginia based artist & designer. He is the creator of the Webby Award winning art project Skull-A-Day and his fine art has been exhibited in museums and galleries internationally, including the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia and the International Museum of Surgical Sciences in Chicago. A lifelong activist, Noah runs the award-winning, socially conscious design &...more
More about Noah Scalin...
SKULLS Unstuck: 52 Ways to Get (and Keep) Your Creativity Flowing at Home, at Work & in Your Studio The Design Activist's Handbook: How to Change the World (Or at Least Your Part of It) with Socially Conscious Design The Creative Journey: A 12-Part Guidebook to Making Your Artistic Dreams a Reality