Start by marking “Angel Of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Angel Of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)

Angel Of Death (Sean Dillon #4)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,816 ratings  ·  44 reviews
They call themselves "January 30," after the date of a British massacre in Belfast. They are allied with no one, killing American diplomats and KGB agents, Arabs and Israelis, IRA gunmen and Loyalist soldiers. But they are definitely the enemies of peace--and they are plotting an assassination that will shatter an uneasy truce that reigns in Ireland.
Former IRA enforcer S
Published March 1st 1996 by Berkley Books (first published February 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Of Death

Carl Brookins

Jack Higgins still has the touch. This is an absorbing, fast-paced thriller in the best sense of the word. The plot is current, and quite believable. Once again, ex-IRA terrorist Sean Dillon is teamed with Scotland Yard DCI Hannah Bernstein and her boss, Brigadier Charles Ferguson. He runs an elite intelligence unit responsible only to the Prime Minister of England. Apolitical, the unit has, inevitably, become an action unit as well.

Ferguson enlists Dillon in an attempt to run down a mysterious
Jim
This, the fourth title in the Sean Dillon series, gave me a chance to visit with some old and likable friends once again, but I'm realizing more and more that these old friends are terribly incompetent (mostly Ferguson, the head guy) and would have been removed from their official roles long ago in the real world. The plot is unoriginal; the motives of the bad guys muddled, at best; there are numerous plot developments that require you to merely accept that some people must just be stupid; and t ...more
Calvin
Feb 26, 2014 Calvin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys formulaic mystery novel.
Recommended to Calvin by: no on
Ed
#4 in the Sean Dillon series. Thinly developed characters populate the latest entry in the adventures of the "Prime Minister's secret army". A cameo by President Bill Clinton, evocation of the Kennedy brothers, and a sighting of Sir John Gielgud, Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson and Ian Richardson help set this entry in 1994. While Sinn Fein is being brought to the peace table, GRU Col. Belov encourages his three followers to create chaos and destroy the Irish peace process with an eye towards a C ...more
Richard
I have really enjoyed this series so far and this is just as entertaining as his earlier books. The beauty of his books are the super smooth writing that can convert an average plot (as this is) into a near 5* rating. I also enjoyed the insight into the political scene in the early 90's when the British government was trying to negotiate a complete ceasefire in Northern Ireland with the IRA. Although the book is not about the ceasefire, it is a central theme to the plot. The British Prime Minist ...more
Karthik
An IRA turned British agent, The IRA revolution, Ireland in total turmoil, Rebel groups, Illegal Arms trade: the perfect characteristics for a thriller.

Angel of Death is the fourth book in the Sean Dillon series. The whole series perfectly eclipses the problems of the IRA and turmoil in Britain and converts it into an excellent thriller in every novel. The entire series revolves around Sean Dillon, an IRA rebel turned British Agent.

I would describe this book as thrilling to read, but very sha
James Murphy
An interesting book from Jack Higgins. While there's the usual page-turning thrills to be had, "Angel of Death" does something interesting: it gives the reader an idea of how a terrorist organization can come into existence. And, for a time, it does confound Group Four. But, in the end, Group Four prevails and the world is a little safer...
Andy Bowditch
having read the previous 3 books in this series its easy to see the books as being very formulaic. Dillon as a character is developing however h find himself in too many scenarios he magically escapes from.

a quick page turner but certainly not one that will live long in the memory banks
Doug Dams
This was what I would call brain candy reading. It was fast paced, action filled reading that kept you occupied but it didn't really amount to a great read. Jack Higgins is adept at coming up with interesting scenerios and this wasn't any different. An unlikely trio of people become a hit squad controlled by Soviet intelligence. When the assassinations of several people involved in the peace process in Ireland occur, the special branch of the Prime Minister becomes involved and Sean Dillon (ex-I ...more
Marianne
IMO, not his best
Written is a fast paced breezy style. Lots of Irish dialogue.
Interesting plot. Hannah Bernstein is very annoying! Don't know why Higgins keeps her around. She isn't very competent.
Rebecca
Another excellent book in the Sean Dillon set. Very enjoyable, quick and easy to read in the flowing style of Higgins.
Ricardo
Fun read, entertaining. Nothing memorable but okay book
Peter
great book as always super characters recomend
Tj
Another great entry in the Sean Dillon series!
Richard Miller
This book was as good the second time.
Pat
A former IRA terrorist, Sean Dillon, goes to work for the British government tracking down a new threat to the government. Three Brits, one a famous actress and one a high-up government official, decide anarchy in the name of communism sounds like a good idea, and start a plan to murder various influential political people. The dialogue was just silly, the plot predictable, and the characters uninteresting. Jack Higgins had to have outsourced this.
Bob
Sean Dillon, Hannah Bernstein and Brigadier Ferguson work to thwart a plot to disrupt the Irish Peace talks by an agent of the Russian GRU working with a university professor, a member of the British Government and popular actress. Lots of action as the bad guys are on a killing spree and claiming their actions as those of a mysterious January 30 group. I am glad I found this Higgins on my desk the other day, as I do like his novels.
Adri L
This was the first novel I picked up off of my father's book shelf. The title struck me with interest. I flipped it over to read the information that would be contained within the pages and was hooked by just those words. I flipped through this book quickly and could not put it down. It went everywhere I went, and now I am certainly a fan of Jack Higgins and do plan on reading all the novels my father owns by this man.
Pete
A very weak effort by Higgins who is capable of far better. Probably knocked this off over a rainy weekend to meet a publishers quota. The story is implausible, predictable and it is impossible to take the antagonist characters with the exception of Belov seriously.
Erika
This was the first book I've read by Jack Higgins. It was interesting enough, maybe if I knew more about the IRA & KGB I'd have cared more about the conflict. I liked the characters, I may have to see if Dillon appears in his other books.
Conrad
Cute book about cold war, the Irish Republican Army, British and American Intelligence.
Girlie
This is the very first Jack Higgins book I have read. It made me want to read more works from the said author. He made every character exciting and I could not put it down till I got to the very end.
Mary
Isn't this the same plot as "On Dangerous Ground"? When Lang showed up in the Prime Minister's office, I thought, "There's no way the author would do this again, is there?". Guess, what? He would.
Darin
Thought this was okay. It took me a little bit to get into it, and then found out it was the fourth in a series, so I might go to the beginning and try it.
Lindsay
I really enjoyed this installment of Sean Dillon, in fact this is my favorite one of the older books.

I really enjoyed the "bad guy" characters on this one.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Sean Dillon; small group of assassins attempt to keep Irish groups at war with each other.
Mark Cunningham
Whilst I enjoy the Dillon series, this one wasn't as well written as the previous books. I am hoping the next one is better.
Maureen
Dec 31, 2008 Maureen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maureen by: self
I love a good Higgins novel, but this one was probably the weakest I have read. Good storyline, but very predictable.
Scott Rachui
The next book in the Sean Dillon series...as always, very fun (and quick) read. Lots of action. Good book.
Todd Woodfill
Great book, love the series, written somewhat similar to Robert B Parker except not in first person.
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • The Case of the Fenced-in Woman
  • The Doublecross Program (Star Risk, #3)
  • Never Send Flowers (John Gardner's Bond, #13)
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Galactic Bounty (Sam McCade, #1)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • Dead Line (Liz Carlyle, #4)
  • The Sisterhood (Tweed & Co. #15)
  • Bolo Strike
  • Mariposa
  • Strike Zone (Dreamland, #5)
  • Code of Honor (Scott Dixon, #5)
  • The Trikon Deception
  • Spy Sinker (Bernard Samson, #6)
  • The Paris Option (Covert-One, #3)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection
  • Day of Reckoning
  • Edge of Danger
  • Midnight Runner
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)

“think the great American public would be pleased.” 0 likes