Start by marking “The Letter Z (Coda Books, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Letter Z (Coda Books, #3)

The Letter Z (Coda Books #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,166 ratings  ·  211 reviews
Sequel to A to Z
Spin-off of Promises

Zach and Angelo have settled into their new lives in Coda, Colorado, finding their place in the community with the help of their good friends Matt and Jared. Zach and Angelo are also working out the particulars of their relationship, but when they make a decision Jared disagrees with, Angelo finds himself at odds with his partner's best
Published May 12th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Letter Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letter Z

Promises by Marie SextonStrawberries for Dessert by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxKeeping Promise Rock by Amy Lane
Best M/M Romance Published in 2010
29th out of 305 books — 514 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsFish & Chips by Abigail RouxPromises by Marie Sexton
The Best of Gay Romance
186th out of 2,391 books — 2,510 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
First and foremost, I'd just like to point out that this is actually a good book but ultimately the open-relationship Zach allowed Angelo to have killed my enjoyment of the story. I'm not saying I judge their relationship, I just don't understand it and I don't want to read about it. If you like reading about all that and if you don't mind open-relationships, that's cool, but I prefer monogamous relationships over anything else and that's that. :-/

It was great getting another installment of the
Michael
The Letter Z is the third book by Marie Sexton that takes place in Colorado and involves Matt and Jared (Promises) and Zach and Angelo (A to Z). “Sequel to...” “Spin-off of...” In my head I’ve labeled them “the three books from the Coda, Colorado series” One of the dangers of reading a series or “falling in love” with a character is that as the story continues there is a chance that the author can introduce a situation or characteristic that can change the dynamics of what you’ve been enjoying. ...more
Lenore
*scratches head* Okay. *rubs chin* Right. I'm trying here. Honestly. But I'm drawing a blank. Not because I don't have anything to say, but because this particular reading experience turned out to be more complex than I initially expected.

Let's just say I strongly dislike Angelo. Zach seems all preppy and proper on the outside—and maybe he is—but the guy also has some serious kinks. However, they seem to work well together.

The thing is, in the last 30% or so, the story kind of took a different t
MishyJo
As a stand alone book (which this is NOT): 3.5 stars
As part of a series where the characters are consistent from book to book: 2 stars
Audio book narration: 2 stars (though by this book 3 I have gotten used to how bad it is)

Although the story was well written and the characters were believable, the turn in Zach and Angelo's relationship here was IMPOSSIBLE to believe. How Angelo acted and Zach's consent was totally inconsistent with anything I thought knew about these two from the prior book.

And
Sheri
Trust + Strength = Blinding Love

This was tough for me, like wrecking ball to the gut, vise on the heart, tough. I was left dazed and confused, struggling to find my voice, and then unsure what my inner voice was mumbling about. Once I peeled my personal feelings back a bit, I realized I didn’t like it.
No, I hated it.
And yet, I loved it. Makes sense right?

It kicks off with our four favorite Coda boys bringing in the New Year. An unexpected guest arrives and this is where it gets tricky. My sto
Christina

This book had a lot potential but it fell short for me. Although, I still liked it better than Zach and Angelo's book. It was a great idea to show the fact that everyone loves differently by examining the dynamics in the two relationships. Matt and Jared had the traditional relationship while Zach and Angelo had some kinks. I'm kind of upset because this could have been great. I love reading about unconventional relationships. The concept was there and by the end I was almost convinced
Sath
Third book in the Coda series, more from Matt&Jared and from Zach&Angelo.

At Matt & Jared's new year party, Angelo meets Jared's ex-lover Cole, and has the hots for him. Zach has no problem with it as long as Angelo comes home with him at the end of it. It does bother Jared however, and is the beginning of some conflict between the two of them.

Then, when the 4 go away together on a trip to vegas, they bump into Zach's ex Jonathan, which leads to even more conflicts, and some interesti
Nichole (Dirrty H)
I went to bed early last night with every intention of reading a few pages of this book and then going to sleep so I could get up and go to work early today.
2 hours later it was midnight and I had read the whole thing. Damn you, Marie Sexton!

*ETA*
Re-read on 8/22/10. I couldn't *not* read it after finishing A to Z yesterday. I'm desperate to see Angelo in eyeliner.
Wendy
Angelo and Zach have an arrangement. Jared takes offense. Matt doesn't have a clue. They all take off for a Vegas vacation. Jonathan, Zach's ex, shows up. Hell breaks loose.

I love Angelo. I don't relate to him...but I love him. Emotionally, he's so young, so fragile. Rarely do I want to reach through the pages of a book and kick a character's ass on another's behalf, but in this book...I really wanted to kick, slap, and even throttle somebody.

It's easy to get caught up on the events in the fir
Kassa
The Letter Z is the third book in the same grouping as Promises and A to Z (reviewed here and here). Marie Sexton is a clever magician in combining the couples from the two books into an interesting third novella in the series. You have to read the books in order to fully understand this offering as the two main relationships grow and develop in ways that won’t make sense otherwise. The issues tackled and how they’re handled may not please all fans and I personally was at times uncomfortable and ...more
Jen
AmyI
I am a tad conflicted on how to rate this one. The writing is outstanding as usual, the storyline is engaging, and I found the characters charming. Except for Angelo. This whole thing at the beginning with Cole. WTF was that?? If you are in a committed relationship, you don’t cheat. Even if you have permission. End of story.

The book got better as it progressed and I enjoyed their trip to Vegas. Bottom line is that it was NOT my favorite Coda book, but I liked it and will continue on with the se
Eva
Loved. Review to come...

“The whole thing is Jared’s fault.”

thelastaerie
3.5 stars.

Oh dear... where do I begin? For such a short spin-off/sequel, Marie Sexton is telling us a lots of things about the characters that we thought we knew in Promises and A-Z.

Jared and Matt (from Promises) are a very established couple, while Angelo and Zach (from A-Z) have just started to settle into their relationship. The fact that Angelo still sleeps in his own bed and only wanders into Zach's bed in ungodly hours is telling sign that they have issues to settle.

So the four of them
DaisyGirl
Sep 27, 2012 DaisyGirl rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of open-relationship type romances
2.5 Stars

***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

I dove into this book right after finishing A to Z. I really like Marie Sexton's writing style and the characters she creates. I absolutely LOVE Matt and Jared; and, I used to LOVE Zach and Angelo. After The Letter Z, I'm less than thrilled (lukewarm at best) about the latter couple. Why? Their open relationship was a total turn-off for me. I'm not judging but I'm all about monogamy in my romantic fiction. Period. I realize that Zach and Angelo got their rocks off
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
I always love to check back in with some of my favorite couples and in this book I get double the pleasure!

If you have issues with 'open' relationships, definitely think on that before you start on this story.

We get to see these guys doing normal things that couples do...with a little bit of kinky thrown in. :) Super Quick read but still a whole lot of story in the 100 or so pages that we get! I'm dying to see how Cole makes his way to Coda!
Mandi Schreiner
This was a quickie..I think 100 pages or so. And I LOVED it. I think I really needed this book to truly understand Zach and Angelo. I'm so glad I read it immediately after A to Z. I am in love with these boys big time now. Loved Matt's and Jared's involvement too.

And Jonathan and Cole are next?? *I die* :)
LauraZu
Jun 01, 2014 LauraZu rated it 5 of 5 stars
This is a sequel to A to Z and a spin-off to Promises

We have Angelo and Zach, settling into their new life in Coda. And with the help of their friends Matt and Jared finding their way into their new business and life. They are also working out on their relationship, but when they make a decision Jared doesnt agree with Angelo only finds animosity from his best friend's partner towards him.

We get to see -briefly- Cole again, which is always refreshing!

And when the four decide to take a quick tri
Josephine Myles
Not a tale of a new romance, but rather an examination of the challenges relationships can face, even from very well meaning friends. The Letter Z is a novella dealing primarily with the development of Zach and Angelo’s relationship. It kicks off with a scene that I found extremely hot, but that I know some readers might find objectionable if they believe that all relationships should be monogamous.

Zach and Angelo have their own arrangement which works well for them, but Jared finds out and can’
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
May 23, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Juana "Darkness" Duran
Jojo
I loved this book, I liked it better than A to Z, even. I am more than a bit in love with Angelo. I find his character fascinating and well written. He's brilliant and strong and sophisticated in a way that isn't obvious but is wonderful, yet he's still so insecure and afraid and that makes him sometimes behave in a way that is less than you would expect from him. I love that he's so insightful when it comes to art and movies, and even Matt and Jared, but when looking at his relationship with Za ...more
Lani ⚔⚔  the Destroyer ⚔⚔
This book gutted me in a way. I love Marie Sexton's writing style and I think she does characterisation very well. I liked that Angelo and Zach were still finding their way.

Like other reviewers I was unhappy with the turn of Angelo and Zach's relationship. Having fun on the dance floor because your partner enjoys watching you is one thing but (view spoiler)
Pamela Su
Wow. This book veered off into an unexpectedly kinky direction.

I expect this book will be hard to take for those readers who believe in a more traditional sort of relationship than the open relationship that Zach and Angelo have in this book.

We get to read about Matt and Jared again. This time they are on a road trip to Vegas with Angelo and Zach. There's a wonderful sense of camaraderie in the story which I appreciated. The tensions that arise from Angelo and Zach's unorthodox relationship crea
Rosie
May 19, 2010 Rosie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Oco
Jan 22, 2011 Oco added it
Shelves: m-m, favorites
I very much enjoyed the first of this series (Promises). The second (A to Z) I also enjoyed but not quite as much. Liked the characters (a lot) but somehow the storyline itself didn't seem to have the fire. Then I read the reviews for the third (this one), saw that readers didn't seem to like it as well, and put off reading it.

Dummy me. I really thought this was the best of the bunch (and I've since read Strawberries, the fourth).

*spoilerish ahead*

In this book, Sexton brings forth a non-traditio
Tara
This book basically revisits the two couple we have met, Angelo & Zach and Matt & Jared. Not to mention if very cleverly and without much ado sets up the Strawberries for dessert.

This story is told once ago with those shitting narrators. This time Matt & Angelo are the two voices. Which is nice because this is the first tim we ever get Matt's POV. It's slightly disorienting because Angelo's voice is just a little toned down from Z to Z so the shifts between narration are more subtle
Elisa Rolle
It was not easy to like this novella, at least for me: it goes against what is my personal belief, but as usual, I would like to highlight that it’s MY attitude and not the right one, we are all different and the beauty of life is exactly that diversity.

Actually in the story there is one couple that behaves like me, Matt and Jared, and one that approaches life, and love, in a different way, Angelo and Zach. During a New Year’s party at Jared and Matt’s house, Angelo meets Cole, Jared’s former b
Chris
Very good m/m romance about Angelo & Zach and Jared & Matt and how relationships are complicated and easily misunderstood by those outside the relationships... including, in this case, the reader. You definitely need to read both Promises and A to Z before reading this book.
Arabella ~♡AB♡~ (Mrs Jase Dean)
4.5 Stars. I really love this series, this one is a follow up of Angelo and Zach. Marie Sexton really knows how to write an unputdownable story and I have to say she is my favourite m/m writer. Sexy and sweet ...more
Gina
Jul 01, 2013 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Another winner! Loved having all 4 guys together!! Loving this series!
  • Making Promises (Promises, #2)
  • Special Delivery (Special Delivery, #1)
  • Physical Therapy (St. Nacho's #2)
  • Love & Loyalty  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #2)
  • No Souvenirs (Florida Books, #3)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Out of the Darkness (Dark Horse, #2)
  • Life in Fusion (Sno Ho, #2)
  • Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
Marie Sexton lives in Colorado. She’s a fan of just about anything that involves muscular young men piling on top of each other. In particular, she loves the Denver Broncos and enjoys going to the games with her husband. Her imaginary friends often tag along. Marie has one daughter, two cats, and one dog, all of whom seem bent on destroying what remains of her sanity. She loves them anyway.

Visit M
More about Marie Sexton...

Coda Books (7 books)
  • Promises (Coda Books, #1)
  • A to Z (Coda Books, #2)
  • Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1)
  • Paris A to Z (Coda Books, #5)
  • Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2)
  • Shotgun (Coda Books, #7)
Promises (Coda Books, #1) Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1) Between Sinners and Saints A to Z (Coda Books, #2) Paris A to Z (Coda Books, #5)

“Holy fucking understatement of the year, Batman” 10 likes