Start by marking “Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,612 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
How to create bold content that packs a punch for blogs, podcasts, websites and webinars to establish credibility and build a loyal customer base! Content rules shows how you can create compelling content that people want to consume and which speaks to their needs or wants or desires.
Published December 7th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Content Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Content Rules

Unleash the Power of Social Media Marketing by Joe Praveen SequeiraHow to Get 15,000 Twitter Followers Every Month by Owen  JonesMultilingual Digital Marketing by Maria JohnsenContent Rules by Ann HandleyGroundswell by Charlene Li
Top Social Media Marketing Books
4th out of 88 books — 121 voters
Content Strategy for the Web by Kristina HalvorsonContent Rules by Ann HandleyGet Social - The Ultimate Online Marketing Guide For Social G... by Meg RulliSocial Media Strategy by Keith QuesenberryDriving Demand by Carlos Hidalgo
Content Strategy Reading List
2nd out of 41 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul DeBusschere
Feb 14, 2012 Paul DeBusschere rated it liked it
I gave this book three stars because it has useful information in it about managing a content-based marketing effort, but it fell somewhat short on depth. By the end of the book, I had the feeling it could have been about seventy pages shorter, as the authors were down to repeating ideas over and over (Ideas You Can Steal in each case example). The authors tripped up by stating some rather pedantic rules about words people shouldn't use (like, "leverage." Really?) and fell into using some of the ...more
Cara
Jul 14, 2011 Cara rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
When I picked this up, I knew I was not the intended audience, but I wanted to know "how to create killer podcasts, webinars (and More)." However, the book is way too far out into the land of "hey brick-and-mortar business person! Try this technology! It's neato!" to provide me any useful advice. Ex. How to make killer webinars? Get webinar software, get a really good speaker, plan a topic, invite people, answer questions, make sure it doesn't get screwed up. Yeah, thanks.
C.C.
Sep 29, 2010 C.C. rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it, so I'm a bit biased, but I like it and can't wait for others to get a chance to read it!
Chris Giovagnoni
May 19, 2011 Chris Giovagnoni rated it it was amazing
A great "how to" and a must read for social media managers. It makes my Top Five must read social media books.
Gradon Tripp
Feb 05, 2011 Gradon Tripp rated it it was amazing
The best, most concrete book on social media tactics I've read yet.
Anabelle Bernard Fournier
Aug 30, 2011 Anabelle Bernard Fournier rated it really liked it
As a web content writer, I can’t pass up a book that promises to help produce killer content for the Web. Thanks to my Kindle, I was able to buy the book and start reading it within seconds. Even though it took me a while to finish it (moving oblige), I’m really glad I did.

I loved one of the foundational premises of the book: “marketing can learn a lot from the art and style of storytelling (literature) and the fundamentals and science of good reporting (journalism)” (loc 314). This is a book af
VisforVillains
Feb 26, 2013 VisforVillains rated it liked it
Shelves: ishtar-s-books
Very basic. Definitely fine for someone who is delving into social media for the first time.

I think it lost me as soon as it brought in drawings of robots doing various things. I understand that this was supposed to help you remember key ideas, but I found myself irritated by them. And then they were never brought back in the rest of the book. If you are going to introduce a visual element like that, you should at least carry it through.

One of the points the book made over and over was to avoid
Melissa
Apr 10, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: biz-money-econ
If you're pretty familiar with content creation, this book will mainly be a review, but it contains great reminders even for the seasoned content creators, such as asking, from your customers' point of view, "What's in it for me?" every time you create something, and if you don't have a good answer to that question, you might want to go back to the drawing board.

There are also a few helpful lists that are great for generating new ideas for content creation, from eBooks to podcasts. Example: I'd
Robyn
Mar 06, 2014 Robyn rated it liked it
Overall this was an interesting book. There were some useful bits, although I don't think the subtitle is accurate. I didn't feel like the book taught me how to do anything. The content rules concept was great, I loved the point about how content is what motivates purchases, trust, and engagement (not design) and how this should be the primary marketing tool we consider.

I agreed with all of part one, found myself going "uh huh uh huh" along with the authors. After a while I realized I was agreei
Mike Maginot
Mar 05, 2013 Mike Maginot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like word play. The title, Content Rules, refers more to the influence your content engenders than it does to any sort of principles you should apply to its creation. The authors provide guidelines for getting the maximum mileage from the content that you, or your organization, generate, but not a fool proof formula for marketing success. What you get here are helpful hints, tips, and case studies.

The authors are advocates of reimagining, taking ideas that you might use in a blog and repositio
Dave Fleet
Dec 03, 2011 Dave Fleet rated it really liked it
Content Rules is a great read for anyone looking to brush up on how to develop effective content that delivers results.

The proportion of Content Rules that will be useful to you depends on your knowledge level. The book is divided into three parts; the first covers the absolute basics; the second goes into more depth on specific elements; the final section covers case studies. If you have a reasonable handle on content strategy, you will be able to skip to the second section; meanwhile, even if
September Michaud
Feb 17, 2016 September Michaud rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, business
I listened to the audio version of this during my commute. Having already done some PR work, none of this information was new to me but it was a good reintroduction to some things like SEO and the importance of being able to write for different markets.

Because I now do marketing for a small library, I thought I would have to alter the information in this book (really aimed toward profit-seeking businesses) to fit my needs, but that wasn't the case--a couple of libraries were even referenced thro
Alexander Fitzgerald
Feb 09, 2016 Alexander Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Many people complain that this book is too fraught with basics: I've run an online business for years and I found many tips and ideas that hadn't occurred to me. My ream of notes from the text numbered a 100+ entries. I definitely feel it was worth the investment.

That's not to say it's perfect. The authors really do try to appeal to everyone, which includes many backward-thinking businesses. It puts them in this odd area where they are trying to sound casual but at the same time they can't risk
Daria Steigman
Dec 17, 2015 Daria Steigman rated it it was amazing
The early days of the World Wide Web were so much easier.

Back in the “old days,” having a Web presence meant putting the equivalent of a corporate brochure online. Web site checked off. On to more pressing marketing tasks.

Well, not really— but that was what most companies did.

Now every business has to be a publisher, and every company has to have something to say besides “BUY ME.” Content matters.

Enter Content Rules.

Co-authors Ann Handley and C.C. Chapman have written a bible for savvy entrepren
Hope
Nov 02, 2015 Hope rated it it was amazing
This book answered all of my questions and eliminated all of my excuses. If you have a business, blog or web page that you want to get off of the ground then this is the book for you. I normally do not enjoy non-fiction but I was in desperate need of a boost and this delivered. I actually listened to the audio version of this book every day for about a week.
I learned so much about the content of my blog and my other social media accounts that I know I will purchase this in a paperback. There are
Don
Apr 15, 2012 Don added it
This book is packed with great tips and sound principles for content marketers. It goes lightly into the details of how we got here, and heavy on the what to do about it. It describes how marketing has changed due to changes in consumer behavior and does so in a very conversational, easy to read format.

Well done!
Paul Mirek
Aug 12, 2015 Paul Mirek rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Handley and Chapman's broad overview of content strategy has stagnated some in the five years since it's been published, but it remains a useful guide to the step-by-step processes necessary for creating engaging results.

Most will be able to skip past the first half of the book, which largely consists of curated comments from other experts about the value of investing in content marketing. Today businesses seem much more ready to employ these strategies (at least in the B2B arena where I have t
Ilario Gobbi
Sep 06, 2015 Ilario Gobbi rated it really liked it
Una guida piuttosto completa che segue passo dopo passo l'intero processo di creazione di contenuti utili e virali per i propri follower: il libro affronta i ragionamenti da seguire per realizzare video, ebook, white paper, faq, podcast interessanti per la propria nicchia, le tempistiche da seguire per gestire efficacemente un piano editoriale degno di questo nome, cosa produrre che sia davvero in grado di magnetizzare l'attenzione dei propri seguaci.
Informazioni note a chi già opera nel campo d
Missy Reid
Dec 31, 2013 Missy Reid rated it really liked it
This is a helpful guide for general purposes with many examples of how a broad range of brands have applied the prescribed strategies in ways that make sense for them. The conclusion has a handy checklist that will be especially beneficial for inexperienced bloggers. I still have a few unanswered questions about best practices for developing a corporate blog plan that focuses on building trust agents and thought leadership. Considering that the connected consumer is cynical about corporate-spons ...more
Melinda
As many reviewers have noted, this book better serves novice writers of content than an experienced content manager. Although I am somewhere in between, I still found useful advice, and it is easy to skip portions that do not relate to my needs.

I really feel for authors of books that include technology shortcuts and platforms. By the time they publish, I am sure that there are a plethora of new technologies that rival the ones mentioned in their book. That said, the advice is general enough to
Josh Steimle
Oct 06, 2014 Josh Steimle rated it liked it
If you're a content marketer, it's a five star. If you're in any area of marketing it's a five star. I mark it as three star because only Tolstoy and McCullough gets five stars from me, and I only give four stars to books that are relevant to almost everyone. So I'm saying don't let my three star rating make you think this isn't a great book, it is if content marketing is something you need to dive into. Combine this with Epic Content Marketing and Content Chemistry for the ultimate content mark ...more
Daniel Taylor
Online, people trust people they can talk to as another human being. Conversation is king. Content is how you start conversations.

Content Rules is divided into three parts. The first covers the rules of producing content. Part two provides the hammer-and-nails practical section. The third part is a collection of success stories: businesses who use content as a core element of their online strategy.

The section on rules asks you to consider who you want to attract with your content. Answering that
David H Deans
Jul 19, 2013 David H Deans rated it liked it
The forward of this book states that "Marketing is about creating great content" - but that the art and science of producing that superior material has been a mystery to many. David Meerman Scott, the author of the book's forward section, suggests that the answer to the question "what exactly, should I do?" is to tell stories. Granted, that's one important aspect of a forward-looking plan of action.

However, perhaps it's essential to fully understand why most businesses tend to create poor conten
Jelle Annaars
Feb 06, 2015 Jelle Annaars rated it really liked it
I was a little disappointed in the depth of the material. Then again, I'm a professional content creator and this is more of a '101' type book. (Also, bear in mind that this was written 3 years ago, an eternity in internet years — and the general knowledge grade of content marketing has matured a lot.) If you're just starting out marketing with content, it remains a great place to start.

(Don't take the 'Words Not To Use' section too seriously.)
Trpaslyk
Dec 05, 2014 Trpaslyk rated it it was ok
Kniha zabývající se pravidly, jak vytvořit poutavý a zajímavý obsah, který pomůže jakémukoliv obchodníkovi (nebo i jiné osobě či společnosti) zviditelnit a prosadit se v záplavě internetu tak, aby to zvýšilo jeho obchody.
Upřímně - myslím si, že příručka podobného typu by se dala napsat i lepším způsobem, ale je pravda, že pár zajímavých myšlenek a rad je v textu obsaženo.
Mari Rydings
Jan 22, 2014 Mari Rydings rated it really liked it
I cut my teeth in the print publishing world and am now navigating the constantly-changing world of the Digital Age. From its practical, "put-into-play right now" ideas to its real world examples, this book offers a common sense approach to marketing. The conversational tone makes this an entertaining yet accessible read. My brain is swirling with ways to reimagine existing content (versus simply recycling it), generate new content that bursts with personality and create a sustainable marketing ...more
Ali
Jan 23, 2014 Ali rated it really liked it
I would start my review by saying that this book is good. It's a good overview of a lot of content marketing concepts. Like with most things in life, the items in this book are more easily said (or written about, as is the case here), than done. Not saying that this book isn't helpful -- it really is! It's just that it's not going to do your work for you. However, what this book will do is give you the confidence to go forth and do the work yourself.

Which is a definitely a good and helpful thing
Mahmoud Khoder
Jan 15, 2014 Mahmoud Khoder rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading Content Rules, before starting any blog any YouTube channel any website this book will teach you what's involved to be successful, it's all about knowing who you are and who are you targeting, what keeps your customers up at night, write about how you can help your customers don't go in through the idea of sell sell sell, get in by the idea of serve, help, deliver value, then there after you will start earning sales naturally :) buy it read it apply the rules you win ;)
James
Oct 30, 2013 James rated it liked it
Shelves: communications, work
Some decent advice here on the importance of planning and repurposing communications materials, but it seems geared more for managers than content creators. The book does offer a good grounding on different communications vehicles and basic approaches to storytelling. But anyone doing this for their job will likely already be familiar with what they're sharing.

The authors are a bit social media–utopian for my tastes, and they're also big on hype-y title and Buzzfeed-esque listicle strategies, w
Eliabeth Hawthorne
Mar 02, 2014 Eliabeth Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
I've gone through about 50 of those colored tabs marking important websites to look at, materials for our content style guide, and useful tips. Even though only one chapter is dedicated to B2B, this is probably the best business writing book I've ever read.
Welcome to our company (BP Holdings)- Wordpress 1 5 Jun 18, 2013 11:34PM
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue
  • The Now Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter, and More Social
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
  • Managing Content Marketing: The Real-World Guide for Creating Passionate Subscribers to Your Brand
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Return On Influence: The Revolutionary Power of Klout, Social Scoring, and Influence Marketing
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • The New Relationship Marketing: How to Build a Large, Loyal, Profitable Network Using the Social Web
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • What the Plus! Google+ for the Rest of Us
  • Social Media ROI: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization
Ann Handley is the author of Everybody Writes (Wiley 2014), co-author of Content Rules (Wiley 2011), a speaker, and the world's first Chief Content Officer. More at AnnHandley.com.
More about Ann Handley...

“Your awesome site isn’t awesome. Getting your stories into the hands of the people who need them is awesome.” 1 likes
“If you aren’t having fun creating content, you’re doing it wrong.” 1 likes