Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  665 ratings  ·  73 reviews
The guide to creating engaging web content and building a loyal following, revised and updatedBlogs, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and other platforms are giving everyone a "voice," including organizations and their customers. So how do you create the stories, videos, and blog posts that cultivate fans, arouse passion for your products or services, and ignite your b...more
Published December 7th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 11th 2010)

Content Rules by Ann HandleyGroundswell by Charlene LiSocial Media for the Executive by Brian E. Boyd Sr.Trust Agents by Chris BroganTribes by Seth Godin
Top Social Media Marketing Books
1st out of 62 books — 53 voters
Valuable Content Marketing by Sonja JeffersonContent Marketing by Rebecca LiebContent Rules by Ann HandleyTribes by Seth GodinOptimize by Lee Odden
Content Marketing
2nd out of 16 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul DeBusschere
I gave this book three stars because it has useful information in it about managing a content-based marketing effort, but it fell somewhat short on depth. By the end of the book, I had the feeling it could have been about seventy pages shorter, as the authors were down to repeating ideas over and over (Ideas You Can Steal in each case example). The authors tripped up by stating some rather pedantic rules about words people shouldn't use (like, "leverage." Really?) and fell into using some of the...more
VisforVillains
Very basic. Definitely fine for someone who is delving into social media for the first time.

I think it lost me as soon as it brought in drawings of robots doing various things. I understand that this was supposed to help you remember key ideas, but I found myself irritated by them. And then they were never brought back in the rest of the book. If you are going to introduce a visual element like that, you should at least carry it through.

One of the points the book made over and over was to avoid...more
Cara
When I picked this up, I knew I was not the intended audience, but I wanted to know "how to create killer podcasts, webinars (and More)." However, the book is way too far out into the land of "hey brick-and-mortar business person! Try this technology! It's neato!" to provide me any useful advice. Ex. How to make killer webinars? Get webinar software, get a really good speaker, plan a topic, invite people, answer questions, make sure it doesn't get screwed up. Yeah, thanks.
C.C.
Sep 29, 2010 C.C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it, so I'm a bit biased, but I like it and can't wait for others to get a chance to read it!
Anabelle Bernard Fournier
As a web content writer, I can’t pass up a book that promises to help produce killer content for the Web. Thanks to my Kindle, I was able to buy the book and start reading it within seconds. Even though it took me a while to finish it (moving oblige), I’m really glad I did.

I loved one of the foundational premises of the book: “marketing can learn a lot from the art and style of storytelling (literature) and the fundamentals and science of good reporting (journalism)” (loc 314). This is a book af...more
Mike Maginot
I like word play. The title, Content Rules, refers more to the influence your content engenders than it does to any sort of principles you should apply to its creation. The authors provide guidelines for getting the maximum mileage from the content that you, or your organization, generate, but not a fool proof formula for marketing success. What you get here are helpful hints, tips, and case studies.

The authors are advocates of reimagining, taking ideas that you might use in a blog and repositio...more
Dave Fleet
Content Rules is a great read for anyone looking to brush up on how to develop effective content that delivers results.

The proportion of Content Rules that will be useful to you depends on your knowledge level. The book is divided into three parts; the first covers the absolute basics; the second goes into more depth on specific elements; the final section covers case studies. If you have a reasonable handle on content strategy, you will be able to skip to the second section; meanwhile, even if...more
Mo Tipton
If you're pretty familiar with content creation, this book will mainly be a review, but it contains great reminders even for the seasoned content creators, such as asking, from your customers' point of view, "What's in it for me?" every time you create something, and if you don't have a good answer to that question, you might want to go back to the drawing board.

There are also a few helpful lists that are great for generating new ideas for content creation, from eBooks to podcasts. Example: I'd...more
Don
Apr 15, 2012 Don added it
This book is packed with great tips and sound principles for content marketers. It goes lightly into the details of how we got here, and heavy on the what to do about it. It describes how marketing has changed due to changes in consumer behavior and does so in a very conversational, easy to read format.

Well done!
Robyn
Overall this was an interesting book. There were some useful bits, although I don't think the subtitle is accurate. I didn't feel like the book taught me how to do anything. The content rules concept was great, I loved the point about how content is what motivates purchases, trust, and engagement (not design) and how this should be the primary marketing tool we consider.

I agreed with all of part one, found myself going "uh huh uh huh" along with the authors. After a while I realized I was agreei...more
Missy Reid
This is a helpful guide for general purposes with many examples of how a broad range of brands have applied the prescribed strategies in ways that make sense for them. The conclusion has a handy checklist that will be especially beneficial for inexperienced bloggers. I still have a few unanswered questions about best practices for developing a corporate blog plan that focuses on building trust agents and thought leadership. Considering that the connected consumer is cynical about corporate-spons...more
Chris Giovagnoni
A great "how to" and a must read for social media managers. It makes my Top Five must read social media books.
Gradon Tripp
The best, most concrete book on social media tactics I've read yet.
Daniel G.
Online, people trust people they can talk to as another human being. Conversation is king. Content is how you start conversations.

Content Rules is divided into three parts. The first covers the rules of producing content. Part two provides the hammer-and-nails practical section. The third part is a collection of success stories: businesses who use content as a core element of their online strategy.

The section on rules asks you to consider who you want to attract with your content. Answering that...more
David H Deans
The forward of this book states that "Marketing is about creating great content" - but that the art and science of producing that superior material has been a mystery to many. David Meerman Scott, the author of the book's forward section, suggests that the answer to the question "what exactly, should I do?" is to tell stories. Granted, that's one important aspect of a forward-looking plan of action.

However, perhaps it's essential to fully understand why most businesses tend to create poor conten...more
Mari Rydings
I cut my teeth in the print publishing world and am now navigating the constantly-changing world of the Digital Age. From its practical, "put-into-play right now" ideas to its real world examples, this book offers a common sense approach to marketing. The conversational tone makes this an entertaining yet accessible read. My brain is swirling with ways to reimagine existing content (versus simply recycling it), generate new content that bursts with personality and create a sustainable marketing...more
Ali
I would start my review by saying that this book is good. It's a good overview of a lot of content marketing concepts. Like with most things in life, the items in this book are more easily said (or written about, as is the case here), than done. Not saying that this book isn't helpful -- it really is! It's just that it's not going to do your work for you. However, what this book will do is give you the confidence to go forth and do the work yourself.

Which is a definitely a good and helpful thing...more
Mahmoud Khoder
Just finished reading Content Rules, before starting any blog any YouTube channel any website this book will teach you what's involved to be successful, it's all about knowing who you are and who are you targeting, what keeps your customers up at night, write about how you can help your customers don't go in through the idea of sell sell sell, get in by the idea of serve, help, deliver value, then there after you will start earning sales naturally :) buy it read it apply the rules you win ;)
James
Some decent advice here on the importance of planning and repurposing communications materials, but it seems geared more for managers than content creators. The book does offer a good grounding on different communications vehicles and basic approaches to storytelling. But anyone doing this for their job will likely already be familiar with what they're sharing.

The authors are a bit social media–utopian for my tastes, and they're also big on hype-y title and Buzzfeed-esque listicle strategies, w...more
Eliabeth Hawthorne
I've gone through about 50 of those colored tabs marking important websites to look at, materials for our content style guide, and useful tips. Even though only one chapter is dedicated to B2B, this is probably the best business writing book I've ever read.
John
Quick read, something/tools for everyone and every size organization. Very good content and examples that reader can implement immediately. Here's a few - can your audience access the content you create from mobile platform? You've got about 8 seconds to engage someone before they click away. Create your own distinct voice and have some fun doing it. I found the chapter "If Webinars Are Awesome Marketing Tools" to be packed with helpful lists of information and pointers.

Another resource referenc...more
David Wilson
Good starter info for those looking to get involved with content marketing.
carla
Really basic practical and tactical information presented in a clear and concise way. To be honest, even if you know this stuff, you often forget to do *everything* you could possibly do.

Very useful as a reminder, and provides a lot of step by step information.

I do also appreciate the extensive use of examples employed - really helped to bring things to light. There are also times when the authors point out those who go against the recommendations they are making to success. They do a great job...more
Rick Wolff
This is one of those books based on a premise (here, that you not only can do content marketing, but had better) with the idea of refuting that premise, or at least challenge it in your mind, but no sooner do you open it than the authors breathlessly whisk you along on their logic train, assuming that you agree with their initial premise, "or why would you buy the book?" Many is the social media advice book, or blog or webinar or you-name-it, that thinks it's starting at step 1, but actually sta...more
Tina
Mar 12, 2014 Tina added it
Shelves: non-fiction
The book inspired me to do some research on writing better blog post titles.
Anna Rose
Do you want to know how to run social media, write a blog, or write for the web, this book is a good and easy start. Although a bit dated, this book is very helpful and even enjoyable. Some of the content rules helped me a great deal for both my job and personal blog.
Chris
This book demonstrates that the authors 'get it' on a different level than most traditional book authors who venture into the world of new media. By maintaining the pacing and conciseness of the best examples of blogging, they manage to cover content from the big broad conceptual all the way down to the actual hand to hand techniques. Examples and case studies illustrate and solidify the real value of 'franken-speak' terms and tools.
Garth Moore
Great book covering all the cornerstones for creating good content. If you are a content producer, it's a good gut-check and checklist book. If you are a site producer or business owner, you need to read this to understand how content can create and maintain customer relationships. The case studies are good to show content examples, but the how-to section is worth buying the book and using as a reference.
Jeffrey Arrowood
This book gives great practical advice for creating online content that has high value for your audience. The book is well-written and fun to read. I also appreciated the examples of how real businesses are redefining themselves by offering awesome content to their customers for free. This one will stay on my active shelf and become a reference for me as I grow my content offerings.
Kristen
Although this wasn't earth-shattering literature, this is a great book for marketing/business folks who are responsible for creating content for their company website, blog, or other online forum. It had some essential tips (many which I've used myself before) and some great instructional pieces for beginners. It was an all-around solid book on content creation and development.
Welcome to our company (BP Holdings)- Wordpress 1 5 Jun 18, 2013 11:34PM
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (& Other Social Networks)
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Content Strategy for the Web (Voices That Matter)
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Social Media ROI: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization (Que Biz-Tech)
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
  • What the Plus! Google+ for the Rest of Us
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies
C.C. Chapman is one of the pioneers of social media. He has been involved in many highly successful online marketing campaigns for a variety of clients including The Coca-Cola Company, HBO True Blood, Discovery Channel Shark Week and American Eagle Outfitters. As the Founder of Digital Dads, he is building the premiere site where a dad can be a guy with a variety of content and commentary. He is t...more
More about Ann Handley...
Dijital çağda içerik yönetiminin kuralları Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business (New Rules Social Media Series) The Elements of Content: A Field Guide to Creating Content for Businesses, Brands, Marketers, Writers, Web Strategists, and the Generally Hapless Content Marketing: Fare business con i contenuti per il web - Video, Blog, Podcast, Ebook e Webinar di successo (Web & marketing 2.0) (Italian Edition) New Rules for Business: Groundswell / Content Rules / The Now Revolution