Start by marking “The Wives of Bath” as Want to Read:
The Wives of Bath

The Wives of Bath

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  861 ratings  ·  62 reviews
From the bestselling author of Azur Like it and Farm Fatale comes a domestic comedy set in the world of coupledom and new parenthood

Bath, Englandthe swanky town once home to ancient Roman spas and Jane Austen heroinesis the setting for this brilliant new novel. Birthing class brings together two sets of expectant parents, who couldnt be more different. Hugo and his spoi

Published April 26th 2005 by Plume (first published January 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Wives of Bath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wives of Bath

Lauren
I didn't think I was going to like this book as much as I did. I almost put it down after the first few chapters because some of the characters were SO unlikeable and one dimensional it was unbearable. Luckily, in the second half of the book, those horrible characters play a small role and Alice and Hugo become more rounded out and seem more believable. The main flaw of this book is that the characters - particularly Amanda and Jake - are caricatures. It is hard to believe that anyone behaves li ...more
Roberta
Nonostante le recensioni pessime e due precedenti esperienze non proprio brillanti con questa autrice, devo ammettere che The Wives of Bath è stato molto meno peggio di quello che pensavo (questo non significa che continuerò a leggere i libri di Wendy Holden!). È la storia di due coppie che stanno per avere un bambino le cui vicissitudini si intrecciano nella cittadina di Bath, in Inghilterra. A questo proposito vorrei fare un applauso a chi ha deciso di tradurre il titolo con Mogli a mollo (!). ...more
Natalie Bowers
I get the feeling Ms Holden set out to write the literary equivalent of a bad BBC sitcom. If she did, she certainly achieved her goal. She used caricatures instead of characters, cliché instead of cleverness, and a sledgehammer instead of subtlety. Having said all that, it was oddly addictive: car crash television for the bookworm.
Rebecca
This book was super cheesy, fake and even slightly entertaining at times. Can a book even be all three?

The book revolves around two couples who are in impending parenthood who live in Bath who are totally different but know each other because the wives used to work together at a large magazine company in New York. Alice left on her own merit because she was overworked from dealing with Amanda, a writer who makes up her own articles and then gets sued (and fired), leaving Alice to pick up the pie
Meghan
I'm not sure why I do this to myself, except that I paid a pound for this book in some back alley in Dartmouth so you get what you pay for. It did what I needed to do which was help pass the time on a 10 hour flight with a 4 hour layover. I was tired and didn't want to think about things like plot and character development. But that said, there wasn't much redeeming about this story. The characters were ridiculous (does the author even KNOW any successful attorneys who would give up everything a ...more
Gabriella
It was a very funny book which was a pleasure to read. The characters are hilarious although there are some that cannot exist in the real world - no one is that self-centered, selfish and utterly insane.
But I enjoyed it, a light bedtime read and the happy ending satisfied the romantic in me.
Minoli
It was not the best out there, or among the best, even for chic-lit. But it is a good read for a lazy Sunday, and a fluffy enough story that you can finish within a couple of hours.

I think I found it good enough to go along, because it has babies. Two, in fact! :D
Brenda Haven
I know that a lot of people gave this book low star rating, but I really did enjoy it. It was a fun, fast, fluffy read. I really enjoy Wendy Holden's novels. They are just entertaining to read. I did dislike Amanda from the beginning and as I read further along, began to dislike the character of Jake also (not because he was totally dislike-able like Amanda was from the beginning, but because he was such a jerk as the book went on). However, it did make it more agreeable as to what unfolded as t ...more
Jude Thomas
Wasn't expecting a lot and didnt get a lot. The ending was shockingly bad and cheesy.
Susan Bazzett-griffith
I've read and enjoyed a lot of terrible chick lit in the past 20 years, and I have to say, this one was barely worth 2 stars. The characters are downright unlikable and dimwitted (though we're supposed to believe that most of them are very successful professionally), even the ones readers are clearly supposed to like/be rooting for. The plot was predictable, and the ending clunked like the author just got tired of writing. I wanted to like it more, as I was really in the mood for something silly ...more
Redfox5
It's been a while since I read an awesome chick-lit. I love Wendy Holden, she is one of the better storytellers out there. I loved Hugo and his attemts at looking after Theo. I really felt for Alice with her ego bully of a husband. I'm not sure how she stood for it for so long and the used condoms. eeeewww. Dispite the fact that she got pregnant because of it, what about all the health issues. She could have caught anything! This is one of those easy books where the pages practically turn themse ...more
Susan
A cast of two-dimensional characters and cliched and engineered situations somehow manages to be both funny and at times very touching. I wanted to finish it, and I did want things to work out for Hugo and Theo but the others I didn't care for at all. If only real life could be tidied up so neatly and satisfactorily in the space of a few pages. Funny, moving, touching, even maybe a little bit of a message in our perceptions of the Laura character, don't expect anything more and you won't be disa ...more
Roxanne Sukhan
An absolute delight! A great and really fun plot, with just the perfect balance between humour and drama. Well formed, really real characters ~ ones that you absolutely hate or really love. The author did a masterful job of putting it all together. I will definitely seek out more titles by this author. Full review [HERE].
Lime
From my blog, 2005:

Not the greatest book I’ve read. But there were babies involved ;) and humor and love and really bad spouses…. It gave me some nice hours of reading and the ending made everyone happy –> and I love a happy ending :D Perfect for reading when travelling or before sleeping or out in the sun.

Mine was a paperback, though, but the same cover...
Courtney
There is NO WAY I would have finished this book if any other reading material had been obtainable. I was furious when I realized that I had a work project that I could have been working on instead. That is how bad this book was - I would have rather spent the time on a Saturday morning WORKING than finish this book. Absolutely ridiculous and a waste of time.
Abigail Tee
Imagine a husband that is an eco freak? A wife that thinks that pregnancy will shoot you to fame? A husband that can forgo his multi million career on a housing estate agency to just look after a baby? Man, Wendy holden just knows how to make a book lovely. Good read to pull you through the weekends.
Danielle
Picked up cheap in the airport when I finished the only book I brought with me on vacation. Definitely an easy and fun read when you're stuck in an airport though. Unfortunatley the characters are extreme and hard to relate to, but it is a light read that easily can keep your attention.
Kelli
My friend Betsy gave me this book years ago and it's been sitting in my nightstand. Now with all of this snow, I've had more time to read. I've forgotten how much I like chic lit and really enjoyed this little book. It was just one of those easy reads that kept my attention.
Stephanie
Ok, I bought this book from a bargain bin because it was set in one of my favorite cities in England. Not the best recommendation, so I wasn't too disappointed. Mostly predictable, yet over-the-top. Entertaining enough for a one-time read when you need some light distraction.
Robyn
The plot was interesting, and the character development was good, although some of the characters were too unrealistic. Also, although I did learn new things about England (health system, vocabulary, etc) which may be helpful, there was too much profanity for my taste.
Jalien
Sue Dawson
Very very light and easy reading, funny at times with a plot which was not at all believeable!
Vanessa
It was not a terrible read, I did finish the book. I just found the story line predictable, No character pulled me in. It was nice to see the male role the dominating parent, and was humorous at times. It was such a large book filled with really nothing.
Senator
Although the plot veers off into crazy land and thus becomes dry, you will find some enjoyment from the novel. Just give it a lot of leeway! .. please read the full review at: http://tipsyreader.com/books/reviews/...
Janet
Cute, farce about couples who meet in a birthing class. Turns out they are married to the wrong people; the eco-terrorist is gay, and the career-woman can't stand motherhood, leaving the way clear for Hugo and Alice to unite.
Phee Sunantarod
I found it's difficult to finish the first half of this book. It's boring. Maybe it's because i don't have baby myself so i thought it was too slow. However, last half was ok, enjoyable but also predictable.
Shahna
Mar 15, 2013 Shahna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I read this one by accident. I wasn't paying attention to what I was ordering for school and this is what I bought instead of the right one.
But I read it anyway! And it was entertaining. Made me laugh.
Kim
Overall, I just thought this book was ok. A couple of the characters were pretty over-exaggerated, and the ending wasn't very believable. But it was entertaining enough, I suppose, and a quick read! :)
Rachel Brand
This used to be one of my favourite books, back in my chick-lit days. Realistic and funny if at times a bit over-the-top, this is a good, fluffy read - if you like fluffy reads :)
Barbara
I kind of had to force myself to get all the way through this book. Although it has it's moments, it's highly predictable and a very standard chick lit.
  • The Scent of Scandal
  • A Question Of Love
  • The Wife Who Ran Away
  • Ready or Not?
  • Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice (The Mellow Summers #1)
  • Technical Hitch (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Olivia's Luck
  • Men I've Loved Before
  • Love: A User's Guide: A Novel of Romance with Attitude
  • Restoring Grace
  • Original Cyn
  • The Men I Didn't Marry
  • Midsummer Magic
Wendy Holden grew up in Yorkshire, and studied English at Girton College, Cambridge. She worked in magazines for many years before joining Tatler's in 1997 as deputy editor, and later moved to the Mail on Sunday’s You magazine, which she left in 2000 to concentrate on writing. She regularly writes features for newspapers and magazines on a range of social, topical and lifestyle subjects and is als ...more
More about Wendy Holden...
Simply Divine Bad Heir Day Farm Fatale: A Comedy of Country Manors Beautiful People Azur Like It

“...her mother began to pick apart the toilet paper covering her gift. 'I suppose," she said brightly, 'we should be grateful this hasn't been used before as well!” 0 likes