Start by marking “Major Decisions: Taking Charge of Your College Education” as Want to Read:
Major Decisions: Taking Charge of Your College Education

Major Decisions: Taking Charge of Your College Education

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Having doubts about higher education? Maybe you re thinking about attending college but wonder whether it s worth the cost. Or maybe you're already a college student and are worried about whether you ll be able to get a good job in your field. You re right to be thinking about these issues.

The author says, "Probably the most important thing I've learned about higher educ
Published July 14th 2011 by Deseret Book (first published May 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Major Decisions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Major Decisions

Brandon
Jul 12, 2015 Brandon rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brandon by: Tom Luna
Provided good insight on how to view your college education and what to do to get the most out of it. I enjoyed it because it took me a bit away from what a student or a professor might think, and put it more in terms of how college will/can help you get a good career.

One of the big things he talked about was how college prepares you to make high stake judgments (HSJs). Essentially, the more your work requires you to make judgement calls (rather than standard procedural decisions) that are high
Karen
Jul 09, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. It is hard to put down and I love the insight of the author, who has an obvious concern for others and helping others suceed. I appreciate this book and have already bought four more to give to others. I think it is great for any age to read, who feels that learning never ends and wants to improve.

Joe Meservy
Feb 06, 2013 Joe Meservy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
This is an excellent book. I would recommend it to all high school students, Freshmen, and others. It gives some impressive insights into how to succeed in college and graduation. I wish it had been written when I was younger so that I would have known these tips and brilliant insights then.

The book has raving reviews by presidents of the University of Utah, UVU, Ohio State University, BYU-Hawaii; Stephen R Covey; and a Harvard University tenured professor.

Henry J Eyring is an administrator at B
Celestia
Sep 06, 2010 Celestia rated it really liked it
This was such a great book! I love Eyring's explanation as to why youth should get a great education. He uses an illustration of a quadrant involving high-stakes vs. low-stakes judgments and judgment call vs. standard procedure. The people who make the most money are usually (outside of movie stars and athletes) those whose jobs fit in the quadrant that involves both high-stakes judgments and judgment calls. Eyring explains that because of the free market world increasing and automation, more an ...more
Stacey
This was a interesting book set on describing why you should receive a higher education, how you can do that and how you can and should take control over your very own education.
I’ll have to say that at the moment I found this book a little bit dry. As I was reading it I wished that this book had been around when I had to make these decisions, but now that I’m in the middle of everything, it was a book full of interesting insights and maybe advice that I’ll give to anyone who needs it. I’m hopi
Mesa Brewer
Feb 12, 2014 Mesa Brewer rated it it was amazing
Very Encouraging and uplifting.
Chrisanne
May 11, 2014 Chrisanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think I would have enjoyed it more 6 years ago. But it's a good book for High School students.
Michelle
May 05, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This book dropped from heaven into our laps just when we needed it. This book is very readable, packed full of extremely valuable information for my house of teen boys looking toward college, and very, very worth what we paid for it. I'd give it 20 stars if I could. Just passed it on to 16yo ds; I'm sure it'll have made the rounds of the whole house by next week. Gave me a lot to think about, and I especially appreciate the focus on getting the student to take responsibility for his/her educatio ...more
Katie Robinson
Oct 27, 2011 Katie Robinson rated it it was amazing
This book is about getting the most out of your education wherever you're at even though the main focus is on college. It articulates why and the how to further your education with simple and engaging terms. Things are broken up with illustrations, figures, true stories, and scriptures.

I loved this. Although I was in college already when I started reading it, it helped me make my decision to transfer and to be more of an eager beaver in choosing classes and teachers. I recommend this to everyone
Dylan
May 17, 2012 Dylan rated it liked it
"The most dangerous thing is to have no dream at all. The only way to know whether a particular career path is right for you is to start down it. The sooner you make your best guess, the sooner you'll begin to learn who you are and who you're not."

There was a lot of good advice. It was good to hear about some decisions that would be beneficial to make as a college freshman than to look back as a senior and wish I did that at the beginning.
Marina
Aug 07, 2010 Marina rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-religion
I really enjoyed this book. It taught me a lot about furthering my education. I'm glad that I read it before I head out for college, but I think that the perfect time would be to read this once at the beginning of your senior year, then again before college. It helped prepare me for college, so now I can have the best experience and get the most out of it.
Joshua Guest
Jun 03, 2012 Joshua Guest rated it it was amazing
I don't often foist self-help books on others, but when I do, it's because I really think they can benefit from Henry J. Eyring's "Major Decisions." This is just what I needed as an undergraduate in college, and I highly recommended to my younger siblings. Very readable, very useful.
April
Jul 14, 2010 April rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and am glad to have purchased it to reference in the future. Some great thoughts on how to not just get into college but graduate as well! I liked it from a parent perspective on how to guide your kids in the right direction to make the most of their education.
Brooke Prothero
Jul 08, 2012 Brooke Prothero rated it really liked it
A GREAT read for people looking at going into college. A great read for those on the fence as well. This gives a whole lot of perspective to the future student. And a whole lot of reasonable encouragement for those on the fence.
Katie
Aug 18, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! Anyone in high school preparing for college should read it. I wish I'd read it sooner, but I still think its great for anyone in college as well. A great book about getting an education.
Mychael-Ann
Jul 07, 2012 Mychael-Ann rated it liked it
I read a twitter discussion from the author and this book sounds great. I think I will buy it for the graduating seniors in our family.
Mar 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is a great book for high schoolers. It contained information I wish I had known before I went to college.
Scott Theis
Oct 10, 2012 Scott Theis rated it it was amazing
Great book. Super easy to read and extremely informative. A MUST for high school students and their parents.
Rebecca
Oct 16, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Great Book! Nice quotes, good advice. Now I know a little bit better what I want to do after graduation.
Nicole
Mar 20, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Worthwhile subject, but very limited in its audience. Really targeted to high schoolers
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Shannon Owens smith
Shannon Owens smith marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Renata
Renata marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Kellee
Kellee marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Eyring was born in Palo Alto, California. He is a graduate of Brigham Young University from which he received a bachelors degree in geology, an MBA and a law degree. He has been a partner with Peterson Capital and on the board of directors of SkyWest Airlines. From 1998-2002 he was the director of BYU's MBA program. He has also served as a trustee of Southern Utah University. From 2003-2006 Eyring ...more
More about Henry J. Eyring...