Major Decisions: Taking Charge of Your College Education

Major Decisions: Taking Charge of Your College Education

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Having doubts about higher education? Maybe you re thinking about attending college but wonder whether it s worth the cost. Or maybe you're already a college student and are worried about whether you ll be able to get a good job in your field. You re right to be thinking about these issues.

The author says, "Probably the most important thing I've learned about higher educ...more
Published July 14th 2011 by Deseret Book (first published May 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Major Decisions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Major Decisions

Karen
This book is amazing. It is hard to put down and I love the insight of the author, who has an obvious concern for others and helping others suceed. I appreciate this book and have already bought four more to give to others. I think it is great for any age to read, who feels that learning never ends and wants to improve.

Joe Meservy
This is an excellent book. I would recommend it to all high school students, Freshmen, and others. It gives some impressive insights into how to succeed in college and graduation. I wish it had been written when I was younger so that I would have known these tips and brilliant insights then.

The book has raving reviews by presidents of the University of Utah, UVU, Ohio State University, BYU-Hawaii; Stephen R Covey; and a Harvard University tenured professor.

Henry J Eyring is an administrator at B...more
Celestia
This was such a great book! I love Eyring's explanation as to why youth should get a great education. He uses an illustration of a quadrant involving high-stakes vs. low-stakes judgments and judgment call vs. standard procedure. The people who make the most money are usually (outside of movie stars and athletes) those whose jobs fit in the quadrant that involves both high-stakes judgments and judgment calls. Eyring explains that because of the free market world increasing and automation, more an...more
Stacey
This was a interesting book set on describing why you should receive a higher education, how you can do that and how you can and should take control over your very own education.
I’ll have to say that at the moment I found this book a little bit dry. As I was reading it I wished that this book had been around when I had to make these decisions, but now that I’m in the middle of everything, it was a book full of interesting insights and maybe advice that I’ll give to anyone who needs it. I’m hopi...more
Mesa Brewer
Very Encouraging and uplifting.
Chrisanne
I think I would have enjoyed it more 6 years ago. But it's a good book for High School students.
Michelle
This book dropped from heaven into our laps just when we needed it. This book is very readable, packed full of extremely valuable information for my house of teen boys looking toward college, and very, very worth what we paid for it. I'd give it 20 stars if I could. Just passed it on to 16yo ds; I'm sure it'll have made the rounds of the whole house by next week. Gave me a lot to think about, and I especially appreciate the focus on getting the student to take responsibility for his/her educatio...more
Katie Robinson
This book is about getting the most out of your education wherever you're at even though the main focus is on college. It articulates why and the how to further your education with simple and engaging terms. Things are broken up with illustrations, figures, true stories, and scriptures.

I loved this. Although I was in college already when I started reading it, it helped me make my decision to transfer and to be more of an eager beaver in choosing classes and teachers. I recommend this to everyone...more
Dylan
"The most dangerous thing is to have no dream at all. The only way to know whether a particular career path is right for you is to start down it. The sooner you make your best guess, the sooner you'll begin to learn who you are and who you're not."

There was a lot of good advice. It was good to hear about some decisions that would be beneficial to make as a college freshman than to look back as a senior and wish I did that at the beginning.
Marina
I really enjoyed this book. It taught me a lot about furthering my education. I'm glad that I read it before I head out for college, but I think that the perfect time would be to read this once at the beginning of your senior year, then again before college. It helped prepare me for college, so now I can have the best experience and get the most out of it.
Joshua Guest
I don't often foist self-help books on others, but when I do, it's because I really think they can benefit from Henry J. Eyring's "Major Decisions." This is just what I needed as an undergraduate in college, and I highly recommended to my younger siblings. Very readable, very useful.
April
I really liked this book and am glad to have purchased it to reference in the future. Some great thoughts on how to not just get into college but graduate as well! I liked it from a parent perspective on how to guide your kids in the right direction to make the most of their education.
Brooke Prothero
A GREAT read for people looking at going into college. A great read for those on the fence as well. This gives a whole lot of perspective to the future student. And a whole lot of reasonable encouragement for those on the fence.
Katie
This was a great book! Anyone in high school preparing for college should read it. I wish I'd read it sooner, but I still think its great for anyone in college as well. A great book about getting an education.
Mychael-Ann
I read a twitter discussion from the author and this book sounds great. I think I will buy it for the graduating seniors in our family.
This is a great book for high schoolers. It contained information I wish I had known before I went to college.
Scott Theis
Great book. Super easy to read and extremely informative. A MUST for high school students and their parents.
Rebecca
Great Book! Nice quotes, good advice. Now I know a little bit better what I want to do after graduation.
Nicole
Worthwhile subject, but very limited in its audience. Really targeted to high schoolers
Madeleine
Madeleine marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Melinda Tracy
Melinda Tracy marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Gadgetgayle
Gadgetgayle marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Seth Morin
Seth Morin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eyring was born in Palo Alto, California. He is a graduate of Brigham Young University from which he received a bachelors degree in geology, an MBA and a law degree. He has been a partner with Peterson Capital and on the board of directors of SkyWest Airlines. From 1998-2002 he was the director of BYU's MBA program. He has also served as a trustee of Southern Utah University. From 2003-2006 Eyring...more
More about Henry J. Eyring...
Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring Reflections of a Scientist I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education from the Inside Out