The Treasures of Weatherby

The Treasures of Weatherby

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Harleigh J. Weatherby IV feels misunderstood. At age twelve he is about as tall as a six-year-old, and no one lets him forget it. At school the bullies nicknamed him "Hardly." Now he is homeschooled at the Weatherby mansion, where strict Aunt Adelaide is always on his case about something.

Then Harleigh meets Allegra. When she literally flies over the walls of Weatherby a...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasures of Weatherby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasures of Weatherby

Amanda
Typical Zilpha Keatley Snyder: gives the hint and promise of something really fascinating or riveting...and then nothing happens. Ever. And the book ends leaving you feeling like you've been wandering around aimlessly for no reason at all. Always with questions left unanswered. And often leaving you wondering, "Wait, what was I expecting to happen anyway?"

In fact, she even does this to her character in this book and I had to laugh at the words she wrote: "Many long, anxious minutes crept by whil...more
Janeen-san
I wish I could give this book 2 and a half stars, but I can't. This book was okay, not the best book I've ever read--unfortunately. This book could have been so much better! You'd think Harleigh's unusual size would have something to do with the plot...but no. Even the maze could've been an incredibly mysterious place, like the place that the merry-go-round in The Thief Lord was hidden.

The 'plot' in this book was almost invisible until the middle of the book, and even then Harleigh and Allegra...more
Joey
A nice little adventure story even though the adventure never left the yard. Some may say boring and nothing exciting happened but it was very well written and we finally got some suspense near the end as the mystery slowly built and we were finally rewarded with a suitable ending. The book is so short it's not a long wait anyway. This is a book I will keep in my library for my son to read when he is older (he's six weeks now). I would recommend it for any young reader who wants a quick little m...more
Jackie
Harleigh J. Weatherby IV, 12, has a mighty big name, but a diminutive size. He's so small other kids mistake him for a 6 year-old. He lives in the Weatherby Mansion with Aunt Adelaide, his father Harleigh III, and a host of other close and distant relatives. The mansion is not run-down, but it needs repairs. The gardens are in special need of tender loving care. One day, while Harleigh IV is out on the grounds, he meets Allegra... a stranger his age. He wonders how on earth she's managed to make...more
SarahC
Harleigh J. Weatherby the Fourth, age 12, in no way has the perfect life. Life-long health problems have greatly slowed his growth, so he is only about half the size of many kids his age. His only parent, Harleigh the Third, is more interested in traveling the globe than spending time with his son. Harleigh Four is left in the care of extended family at Weatherby House, the huge but costly mansion he will inherit.

There are many odd relatives living in all the many wings of Weatherby House, but...more
Miriam
This is a pretty disappointing book, especially coming from an author like Snyder, who has demonstrated in the past that she can write tight plot and complex characters. I don't mind that the mysterious-old-house-with-secrets plots is overused (as she admits herself) but I don't see why she bothered when she does so little with it. The house and family history are only sketched in vaguely, as a backdrop. Harleigh was all right, if uninteresting, but Allegra was really annoying. I guess Snyder st...more
Megan
A disappointment from one of my all-time favorite authors. Feels like the novel is just getting started -- I am just beginning to care a bit about the characters and wonder what's going on -- when all of a sudden, the climax falls from the sky.

I didn't connect with this one. I would say skip it and read one of Snyder's classics -- any of the Stanley Family series, or the Green Sky series, or The Egypt Game...
Kidsbookworm
I really enjoyed this story - I've been looking for good books for one of my younger kids who doesn't like super scary, super suspenseful books, and this one is a winner! Now, to get her opinion -

It's been hard for me to get into reading books for younger audiences now that my kids are older and I'm not pleased with my impatience level. I'm working on it, but this story kept my interest, and even kept me up a bit late on a couple of nights!
I felt very blah about this one. Actually, I had second thoughts before I started as to whether or not I actually wanted to read it. I don't know what it was exactly; I guess there wasn't enough to the story for me. Harleigh is a descendant of an odd family, the Weatherbys, and they live in a huge old house. One day he meets a girl, Allegra, who has alledgedly flown over the very tall fence around the house. They become friends, sort of, and she is very curious about the house. At the same time,...more
Bess
This book was cute, also read in junior-high. It's sort of The Secret Garden gone fantasy in the 1900s. A good read for a good kid with a vibrant imagination and love for mystery.
Jean
The mysteries at Weatherby House and young Harleigh Weatherby the Fourth's ensuing adventures are at at first intriguing, enjoyable, and even suspenseful, but the last three chapters seem to fizzle out. The resolutions are too pat, or conveniently, awkwardly ambiguous. A few twists to the two-dimensional characters would have made the overall story much more appealing. (There is a bad guy who is big, ugly and stupid...a fat man who is gluttonous...and most disappointing of all, the small young p...more
Pandora
I remember as a kid liking The Egypt Game or I least I think I did. As an adult though Snyder leaves me a bit cold. The begining of this story starts out strong with Harleigh meeting the strange Allegra. Towards the middle though Snyder's narration begins to intrude. She has a style that I find a bit too much talking down to kids and very irriating to read as an adult. The ending - the wrap up - also for my tastes went on too long after the climiax and was a little too neat.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Haleigh is a twelve year old boy who lives in a mansion that is in need of repair with the relatives of Harleigh Weatherby the first. He is small for his age and recovering from an operation that is supposed to help him to grow. He is lonely in a house full of adults. Allegra flies over his fence and they begin to have adventures. She helps Harleigh to discover what it is to be young and teaches him about friendship.
Susan
I'd probably give this book a 2.5 rating. It was okay. The author builds up to some exciting conclusion, but there is none. Everything just kind of falls flat at the end. I didn't even know it was the end. I turned the page and was surprised that it had ended. I thought there would be more resolution. It could have been a good book, but just kind of fizzled out.
Kami
This is a good book to read if you like old mansions. I liked this book, but I didn't enjoy the main character very much. I thought he was very stuck up. On top of that, they spend a lot of time talking about a treehouse and this girl, that I had to push myself to keep reading it. The plot was good, however. I enjoyed the story. I would recommend this book.
Ashley Blake
This book was a disappointment. Supposedly a mystery, there was little to boggle the mind or made the skin tingle. The parts that, I can only assume, were supposed to be suspenseful were only slightly entertaining. The character development was weak and shallow as well as unbelievable. Needless to say, I didn't like it.
Jenie
Aug 09, 2008 Jenie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys and girls, perhaps especially boys who don't like to read
Good character development and a solid read for kids. Very enjoyable and a happy return for me to Zilpha Keatley Snyder's books. She was a favorite of mine when I was a kid, and this was a great way to reacquaint myself with her writing. I'm glad she's telling tales again. :)
Avalon
Imagine living in a big house that still has unexplored hallways, a lot to do for a grandparent, a child and two aunts. My favorite part is when Harleigh finds a girl that becomes his friend and they experience many adventures together.
Brooke Moxley
I found this book on my little sisters bookshelf while I was back home and decided to give it a try. I knew it was a little kid book but it was actually quite good. It has a good theme behind it of bringing family close together.
Amy
I've never read this author before, but I guess she's written 40+ books and several of them are newberry award winners. Cute story. I too love stories about big, old houses and family and a little mystery thrown in.
Christina
I really wanted to like this book -- I did! Snyder has done so well with other books; the Changeling is one of my favorites. This one was boring and predictable and the mystery wasn't much of a mystery.
Kaethe
Ah, now I see why everyone loves her so much. This is a house-is-a-character story, and, oh, what a character. I'm in total house-love. A very satisfying ending as well.
Stephanie Taylor
This is still one of my boys' favorite books. They were fascinates by the characters and the adventure. They are always looking for a second weatherby book.
Jane
It was a strange book, that was very enjoyable. It had more life lessons than it did action or adventure, but it was still a good book.
Alyss
I couldn't resist picking up a couple of new books by my favorite children's book author. This has some nice points, but all in all, meh.
Kristy
Fun book to read, it reminded me GREATLY of The Westing Game. Yes, I have a soft spot for children's literature, don't judge me :P
Kathy Moberg
Altho this novel gets off to an excellent, intriguing start, this is not sustained. Sadly, it's not another "Egypt Game".
Jessica
An adventure that encompasses fear, allegations, discovery and awe. At 27 years old, even I enjoyed this novel.
JoAnna Burris
A simple adventure story. Doesn't get very detailed for my taste, but it would be great for a child.
Magda
I like the way the main character changes through his interactions with the other characters.
  • Beswitched
  • Victory
  • You Wish (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #1)
  • Ruby's Slippers
  • Wild Man Island
  • The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (Nikolas and Company, #1)
  • The Adventures Of Vin Fiz
  • Penny Dreadful
  • Quest for Merlin's Map (Jumper Chronicles, #1)
  • All of the Above
  • The Wall and the Wing (Wall and the Wing, #1)
  • Les sortceliers (Tara Duncan, #1)
  • 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving
  • The Book of Story Beginnings
  • The Game of Sunken Places (Norumbegan Quartet, #1)
  • The Path of Names
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game", "The Headless Cupid" and "The Witches of Worm", Zilpha Keatley Snyder has been writing books for children since 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies", was published. Since that time she has completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for younge...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder...
The Egypt Game (Game, #1) The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1) The Velvet Room The Witches of Worm The Changeling