Start by marking “Shadows on the Sun” as Want to Read:
Shadows on the Sun

Shadows on the Sun (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  471 ratings  ·  20 reviews

As a young doctor with a beautiful family and a promising medical career, Dr. Leonard McCoy thought he had it all. But when the woman he loved betrayed him, McCoy fled to Starfleet, hoping to lose his pain in the depths of space. Now, more than forty years later, the Enterprise

TM

and her crew are ordered to transport a group of mediators to the planet Ssan, a world where a
Published August 15th 1997 (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows on the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows on the Sun

Wendy
Daniel Kukwa
A bit of a non-starter. While the history of Dr. McCoy and his ex-wife makes for a sad & elegiac story, it doesn't alter the fact that this novel really seems completely superfluous, and without any imperative reason to exist. It's place post-Star Trek VI is equally unnecessary. Overall, this novel is just...there. Inoffensive, ocassionally sweet...but highly forgettable.
Elaine
another reread, this time from the nineties. I see why I kept this book, and I probably will again.
Joseph J Christiano
Fantastic read. And Mr. Friedman made me a character in the novel. How could I not like it?
Shannon
I didn't think I would like this book as much as I do because I am more a ST:TNG girl than TOS right now. However, when I saw the cover of this book I gasped for joy because it seemed like it would have all the drama I would need in a Michael Jan Friedman book. And I was right. After reading the introduction, I thought, what the hell and dove nose deep into this book and haven't regretted it since.

The story takes place shortly before the retirement of the Enterprise crew (sans Sulu). The novel i
Denise Link
Pretty good Star Trek TOS novel. Set late, when characters are reflective and events all tinged with finality. Maybe it's time for MD to stop reading ST.
Veronique Perrot
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Ken Poirier
A great book set in epilogue of the original cast motion pictures. A strong focus on McCoy and his past.
Ann
It was okay - light and escapist reading (as are most Trek novels). I really didn't care for the ending, however. That's probably the eternal optimist in me. I thought Dr. McCoy had suffered enough throughout his life and it would have been nice if he could have spent it with someone he cared about.
I liked the exploration of the Ssana culture. I couldn't help thinking it had many parallels to the Jidhadist mentality and the Japanese Kamakazi in our present society.
Gina
This Star Trek novel, taking place after the 4th movie, is quite good. Since this has a focus on McCoy, I like it.

The most infuriating thing is the crappy e-book format—OR LACK OF! There are no spaces or stars or break to signal a change of scene/viewpoint and it’s so annoying. I began highlighting the first word of each new scene in case I ever re-read it.
Kyle
This is one of the most un-Trek novels I've read. Not really technological or sweeping, it is insetad a tale of personal recollection and reflection about troubling experiences and near friendships with an ailen adversary. Good.
Athena Braun
I am halfway done with this book unfortunately I'm getting bored...I think maybe I wanted more info on Bones..big disappointment..

Revised: The book gets better towards the end...
Swantje
I was a bit unsatisfied. I think the author could have made more of the idea that the assassins were specifically asking to see Bones... But overall an interesting story.
Charity Bradford
I read it 2 or 3 times before it disappeared from my bookshelf. Bones was always one of my favorite characters, and this story really stuck with me.
Read1000books
Another good Star Trek book, this one centered around one of my favorite characters, Dr. Leonard McCoy.
Kate
One of the best Trek novels. We give the Kirk crew one last send off and we give poor Bones some peace.
Betty
Feb 17, 2010 Betty rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
This is the first TOS novel I ever read, and I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Great book.
Ishki
Hmmmm..... I was bored. Okay.
rivka
Apr 12, 2008 rivka rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to rivka by: Amy
Shelves: startrek
3.5
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Becca Twitchell
Becca Twitchell marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong ISBN 5 34 Apr 18, 2013 10:48PM
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Sarek
  • Probe
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Star Trek: The Disinherited
  • Federation
  • Rules of Engagement
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • The Fearful Summons
  • Deep Domain
  • The Starship Trap
  • Traitor Winds (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #3)
  • Crossroad
  • The Trellisane Confrontation
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • The Joy Machine
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of more than seventy books of fiction and nonfiction, half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Eleven of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television and radio, and scripted nearly 200 comic books, including his original DC superhero series, the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
All Good Things... Reunion (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover Planet X (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)