Shadows on the Sun

Shadows on the Sun (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  18 reviews

As a young doctor with a beautiful family and a promising medical career, Dr. Leonard McCoy thought he had it all. But when the woman he loved betrayed him, McCoy fled to Starfleet, hoping to lose his pain in the depths of space. Now, more than forty years later, the Enterprise

TM

and her crew are ordered to transport a group of mediators to the planet Ssan, a world where a...more
Published August 15th 1997 (first published 1993)

Wendy
Daniel Kukwa
A bit of a non-starter. While the history of Dr. McCoy and his ex-wife makes for a sad & elegiac story, it doesn't alter the fact that this novel really seems completely superfluous, and without any imperative reason to exist. It's place post-Star Trek VI is equally unnecessary. Overall, this novel is just...there. Inoffensive, ocassionally sweet...but highly forgettable.
Elaine
another reread, this time from the nineties. I see why I kept this book, and I probably will again.
Joseph J Christiano
Fantastic read. And Mr. Friedman made me a character in the novel. How could I not like it?
Shannon
I didn't think I would like this book as much as I do because I am more a ST:TNG girl than TOS right now. However, when I saw the cover of this book I gasped for joy because it seemed like it would have all the drama I would need in a Michael Jan Friedman book. And I was right. After reading the introduction, I thought, what the hell and dove nose deep into this book and haven't regretted it since.

The story takes place shortly before the retirement of the Enterprise crew (sans Sulu). The novel i...more
Denise Link
Pretty good Star Trek TOS novel. Set late, when characters are reflective and events all tinged with finality. Maybe it's time for MD to stop reading ST.
Veronique Perrot
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Ann
It was okay - light and escapist reading (as are most Trek novels). I really didn't care for the ending, however. That's probably the eternal optimist in me. I thought Dr. McCoy had suffered enough throughout his life and it would have been nice if he could have spent it with someone he cared about.
I liked the exploration of the Ssana culture. I couldn't help thinking it had many parallels to the Jidhadist mentality and the Japanese Kamakazi in our present society.
Gina
This Star Trek novel, taking place after the 4th movie, is quite good. Since this has a focus on McCoy, I like it.

The most infuriating thing is the crappy e-book format—OR LACK OF! There are no spaces or stars or break to signal a change of scene/viewpoint and it’s so annoying. I began highlighting the first word of each new scene in case I ever re-read it.
Kyle
This is one of the most un-Trek novels I've read. Not really technological or sweeping, it is insetad a tale of personal recollection and reflection about troubling experiences and near friendships with an ailen adversary. Good.
Athena Braun
I am halfway done with this book unfortunately I'm getting bored...I think maybe I wanted more info on Bones..big disappointment..

Revised: The book gets better towards the end...
Swantje
I was a bit unsatisfied. I think the author could have made more of the idea that the assassins were specifically asking to see Bones... But overall an interesting story.
Charity Bradford
I read it 2 or 3 times before it disappeared from my bookshelf. Bones was always one of my favorite characters, and this story really stuck with me.
Read1000books
Another good Star Trek book, this one centered around one of my favorite characters, Dr. Leonard McCoy.
Kate
One of the best Trek novels. We give the Kirk crew one last send off and we give poor Bones some peace.
Betty
Feb 17, 2010 Betty rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
This is the first TOS novel I ever read, and I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Great book.
Ishki
Hmmmm..... I was bored. Okay.
rivka
Apr 12, 2008 rivka rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to rivka by: Amy
Shelves: startrek
3.5
Kurt Onken
Kurt Onken is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 29, 2014
Ryan Briggs
Ryan Briggs is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2014
Kaelyn
Kaelyn marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
James Scott
James Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong ISBN 5 32 Apr 18, 2013 10:48PM
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Probe
  • The Fearful Summons
  • Sarek
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Traitor Winds (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #3)
  • The Captain's Daughter
  • The Better Man
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Corona
  • The Trellisane Confrontation
  • Shell Game
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of nearly sixty books of fiction and nonfiction, more than half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Ten of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television, radio, more than 150 comic books, most of them for DC Comics, for whom he created the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman...
All Good Things... Reunion (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Planet X (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)