UNIX System Administration Handbook

UNIX System Administration Handbook

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This handbook is the fully updated, highly anticipated revision of the hands-down bestselling UNIX system administration guide. Better than ever, it's an indispensable tutorial for new UNIX/Linux systems. The authors have updated this classic with not just theory, but hundreds of war stories and great insights from those in the trenches.
Paperback, Third Edition, 896 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Prentice Hall (first published 1989)

Nemo
All in all it is not a bad reference for day-to-day sysadmin work, however you will still need the fundamental knowledge of operating systems that you might get from a decent book or university course on the subject if you want to do a good job.
Also I was somewhat disappointed by the coverage, or lack thereof of clusters and the VxVM volume manager and Solaris metadevices.
While I do love being cutting edge those two are still pretty widely used and ZFS has a number of issues that need to be reso...more
Ramune
The second edition was great -- the latter ones, not so much.

Pros of the second edition: Explained how to do common tasks in a way that made the mindset of the UNIX variant clear, letting one understand how things worked under the hood.

Cons of the latter editions: It ended up becoming more of a chatty cookbook, so the materials in there were not very helpful in understanding how things worked and why they were that way.
Jon williams
This is the best book that I have found for all around *nix administration. Its a bit worn and out of date but I haven't had a need to get a more recent addition (I don't do much *nix admin anymore). It is one of my few technical books that I am happy to leave on my shelf.
Sean
Good for starting at the beginning of a Unix adventure and pertinent now that so much of the web, apple Oscar etc is underpinned by it.
Jeremy
If you want to get a great overview of what it is to be a system administrator, this book is for you.
Yitzchak
Fun, classic; a bit more than I needed as the single admin of a library web server (Ubuntu).
Viaden
Nov 03, 2008 Viaden added it
UNIX. Руководство системного администратора. Для профессионалов
Steve
Very Very essential, right up there with the nutshell and power tools
Aleksey Abramov
Well it's a classic, I think. I always recommend it.
Jason Canon
This is the best UNIX reference book available.
TK Keanini
Great book for system administrators.
Ish
Ish marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Photo Eclectic
Photo Eclectic marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Matjaž
Matjaž marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Soesoe
Soesoe marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
  • Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface
  • Programming Python
  • Mastering Regular Expressions

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook Linux Administration Handbook unix administration handbook Administracion De Sistemas Linux 2008/ Linux System Administration 2008 Manual completo do Linux