Start by marking “Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3)” as Want to Read:
Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3)

Running Scared (Sentinel Wars #3)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  2,595 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
View our feature on Shannon K. Butcher's "Running Scared." The thrilling third novel in Shannon K. Butcher's new urban fantasy series...
Lexi Johns has one purpose: to free her best friend from the hands of the Sentinels. And the Sentinel she has been running from for months, Zach, has one goal: to convince her that their destinies are entwined. For the magic that Zach ha
Published May 1st 2010 by Onyx Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Running Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Scared

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I have gotten stingy with five star reviews. But I had to give this book one. It took me to this point where I couldn't stop reading this series if I wanted to.

There isn't one thing that made this a five star book. But a culmination of things.

Characterizations:

Zach--He is a real sweetie. A very worthy hero. His determination to do the right thing despite his own selfish needs. His complete commitment to following through. His tenderness and his fierce power together make him very drool-worthy.
Regina
Mar 05, 2013 Regina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal-pnr
This is a fun series. It has interesting world building that I have not read the likes of before. And it has characters that are very relatable. The main storyline is the romance of the couple in each book, but the fantasy elements play an important role. This book expanded the world of the Sentinels considerably and I am excited to move on to the next book.

I did skim some parts and I thought there were too many points of view. But this is still a decent paranormal romance read. I enjoy picking
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Dec 23, 2012 t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People reading the series
Recommended to t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ by: Katya
Nothing unexpected, just what I thought I would get from a Sentinel Wars novel, Shannon K Butcher is consistent.

Description:

hey are the Sentinels. Three races descended from ancient guardians of mankind, each possessing unique abilities in their battle to protect humanity against their eternal foes: the Synestryn. Now one Sentinel's survival determines the fate of them all.

Lexi Johns has one purpose: to free her best friend from the hands of the Sentinels. And Zach, the Sentinel she has been run
Lauren
Running Scared
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Lexi Johns has been raised to believe that the Sentinel Warriors are a dangerous threat and will do anything to rescue her best friend from them. Zach is a Sentinel with only one goal: to convince Lexi that her destiny is intertwined with his and that she is the only one with the ability to channel the power that can destroy him.

Review:
Intricate and detailed world building combined with an intense plot that contains one or two shocking revelations and some spine tin
Anja
Mar 14, 2015 Anja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c, w-az
3.29 stars.

While I still love this series, this book was the worst of the lot. The second book had a very strong self-contained plot while still moving the series arc forward. This book felt more like filler.

I never connected to either of the leads. I got frustrated with Lexi’s introspection. Zach had the right attributes but he came across a bit dull.

Some insight was given on the Sentinel’s infertility and the Sanguinar’s Project Lullaby. Logan is the hero of the fifth book so I am hoping his w
Crazy4more
Sep 06, 2011 Crazy4more rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars even though I loved it. I was looking for Lexi right after Helen's, so glad this is her book. Don't know why I'm not giving it 5 stars, maybe it's a combination of Lexi's constant distrust, belief and her naggings. It got old and annoyed, but given her situation, it's either believe Zach -aka monster, enemy, bloodsucker, etc.- or her Mom? so she had her reasons but still... That said, the book was non-stop action. I loved all the storylines running along Zach&Lexi's. As I've mentio ...more
Mirely
Melindeeloo
In the lead are Zach and Lexi whose story we've been waiting on since they met in the first book - in an encounter that left Zach bleeding and Lexi on the run. Zach's finally caught up with Lexi, but it's only because Lexi has a plan to use Zach's apparent obsession for her in order to gain entry to the Sentinel's hidden compound, to save her 'brainwashed' friend Helen and then to take out the 'evil' Sentinels once and for all.

There's a lot going on in this third installment of Butcher's Sentin
PepperP0t
4.75stars
This installment has Lexi Johns determined to save her friend Helen Day from the Sentinels. Lexi is certain the Sentinels are holding Helen against her will until they can complete her brainwashing. Lexi concocts a scheme with help from the Defenders for Humanity, archenemies of the Sentinels, that will put Lexi in their stronghold that will eliminate the Sentinels forever. But even the best laid plans of a determined woman that doesn't have all the information she needs is doomed to fa
RomanceNovelNews.com
Review by Catherine Garrabrant for RomanceNovelNews.com

Nomad Lexi Johns is on the run in the third book of Shannon K. Butcher's “The Sentinel Wars” series. “Running Scared” follows Lexi’s quest for revenge against the Sentinels – a misunderstood group of otherworldly beings – while being intensely pursued by a member named Zach.

Lexi despises the Sentinels because she believes they killed her mother and they intend to brainwash her like her friend Helen. Lexi plans to rescue Helen who is being he
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
May 09, 2010 Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) by: goodchoicereadin@aol.com
Shelves: must-read, favorites
This would have to be my favorite book in the series so far. I loved the first two, but I waited for Shannon to write Zach and Lexi's story and it was worth the wait. This series is slowly climbing into my top three favorites.

Zach and Lexi's characters were introduced in the first book with Drake and Helen. I remember reading and loving Drake and Helen, but could not wait to read more on Zach and Lexi. I found their characters to be very funny and wild. In Running Scared it was the same thing.
~Megan~
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)

I love the Urban Fantasy and the imaginative world building elements of this series more than the actual couple pairings. In the first three books the desperation of the Theronai males and the unwillingness/snarkiness of the heroines is just a touch annoying.

Lots of good storylines coming up though. So much of the world has been hinted at and not explored - there is a lot more to be revealed about the blood drinking Sanguinars and the mysterious Slayers and lots of characters are hid
TJ
Aug 07, 2010 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
OK, I am officially addicted to this series. This, the third book, kept me sneaking away to read during a horrendously busy day because I had to see what happened next! I lOVED Zach, he was the perfect combination of humor, determination, protectiveness, good looks, and power, yeah! Lexie was also fun to read. She was a strong, resilient woman with serious issues to overcome but the wonderful heart, honesty and courage to attempt it. A great paranormal (but not one that should be read without re ...more
Kevin
Jun 28, 2010 Kevin rated it it was ok
This was really more of the same which is too bad since the world arc is intriguing. The sex scenes were good but the relationship progression was predictable since it followed the same format as the first two books. I'd really like the formula to be switched up a bit. I find the world and overarching story to be compelling and greatly enjoy Shannon's writing but the specifics are starting to be repetitive. I hope she throws a change up in the fourth book or I may have to stop reading the series ...more
Jess
May 18, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT!! I felt the last book was a little mediocre, and this one just plain kicked it's butt! It had non stop action, intricate plot lines that went beyond the main couple, new characters, a new storyline and a hot romance. What else could I ask for from a book? The reason I didn't give it 5 stars you ask, the main heroine (Lexi) became a tad annoying with her constant self questioning and denial. But other than that, I didn't have a complaint. I can't wait for the next book, Living Nightmare ...more
Catherine
May 20, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranomal romance lovers
Okay... maybe 4 1/2 is a better rating. This is one amazing series, and Lexi and Zach spark on each page... And the saga just keeps going. At this point in the story, you'd better be reading the other books first. So be sure and add Burning Alive and Finding the Lost on your TBR list and get on with it! lol

I can't wait for Nika - 'bout time! lol
Maria
May 13, 2010 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, romance
I like the premise of this series... it's just a little weak on the follow through. I don't feel like I connect and understand the heriones. If they have the background that Butcher gives them, their actions don't make sense to me. On the other hand, I will have to read the next one, because I love the heros.
Lisianthus
Jan 05, 2012 Lisianthus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD OHMIGOD THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD. I FINISHED IT IN A DAY! COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN!!!! holy hell I haven't read something this intense in a long time. PICK IT UP! READ IT! READ THE SENTINEL SERIES!!!!!
Bianca
Jun 07, 2012 Bianca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF
I have just skimmed the rest of this book to get an idea of the plot. I CANNOT stand this heroine, I get that she is confused blah blah blah... I ran out of patience with her within the first couple of chapters..
Zach deserves better
Kathy Davie
Third in the Sentinel Wars paranormal romance series revolving around supernatural guardians tasked with protecting the gate between worlds, protecting humanity. The couple focus is on Lexi Johns and Zach.

My Take
Phew, we finally find out where Lexi's extreme paranoia about the Sentinels comes from.

Why does no one in this series ever listen?? Nika keeps telling people that she needs Madoc. Every time Madoc is around, she feels better. Hullo??

One thing that really bothers me about the relationship
Jessica
Dec 25, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great paranormal romance. Strong females, delicious, flawed males. This author writes pretty good action scenes.
Tracy Gallacher
Jan 15, 2017 Tracy Gallacher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a rollercoaster of emotions, this takes you on, and with it's none stop action this book is not to be missed.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Favorite Quote: "Are you really that blind? Can you really look around this place of refuge and see such evil? Because if you can, then I have to wonder what might be wrong with you."

Lexi Johns has spent the last couple of months running. Hiding. Planning. Lexi has been taught since birth that the Sentinels are evil beings and to be avoided at all costs. Now the time has come to stop running and face her enemy. Zach is the Sentinel who has been hunting Lexi, she is his destiny and he will have h
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Another solid installment in the Sentinel Wars series.

Zach, a Theronai warrior has been chasing after Lexi Johns ever since he found her in the first book Burning Alive and realized that she was the female that would be able to save him from soul death and the constant pain he's had to live with for centuries. Lexi has been terrified him ever since that night and has used whatever method necessary to stay out of reach... Until now.

Too bad for Zach he doesn't find her because she wants to be-at l
Katya
Dec 03, 2012 Katya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal-rom
Tania Godoy
Sep 29, 2016 Tania Godoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sin duda un libro donde las parejas y personajes secundarios se roban el show. Ya que Lexi y Zach dejan mucho que desear sin embargo poseen química y se complementan. Me gusto el poder que tiene ella y que no diré.

Nika Y Madoc que angustia con estos dos, menos mal es el siguiente libro, acá leemos mucho de ellos, y te hace pensar ¿Cómo van a superarlo? Grace, Torr, Joshep, Tynan, Cain, Sybil, quiero saber mas de todos ellos, aquí cada uno aparece y bastante. Y refrescaron la historia en todo mom
Ally
Jun 09, 2010 Ally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
They are Sentinels. Three races descended from ancient guardians of mankind, each possessing unique abilities in battle to protect humanity against their eternal foes: the Synestryn.
Lexi Johns has been running from the Sentinels all her life, she was taught at an early age to fear them but she’s determined to free her best friend from them. Zach, the Sentinel that Lexi has been running from is sure he can find her and convince her they’re meant to be together. For the power Zach has inside him w
Lexie
Apr 21, 2014 Lexie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-once-owned
Outside of RR@H, my nickname is Lexie (and Alex, to my family). My full name is, of course, Alexandra. Rarely do I come upon a book that uses either of those names, so when I do see a book, I tend to grab it up and pet it for a little while. While my name isn't that unusual, it's just not in huge demand for book heroines (gotten quite a few vixens and villains, however). I thought it prudent to explain my bias in this regard, given the following review.

RUNNING SCARED is different from what I exp
  • On the Hunt (Sentinel Wars #3.4, Nightkeepers #5.5, Gods of Midnight, #4.5)
  • Red Demon (Gods of Midnight, #3)
  • Storm Kissed (Nightkeepers, #6)
  • Rapture Untamed (Feral Warriors, #4)
  • Atlantis Unmasked (Warriors of Poseidon, #4)
  • When Pleasure Rules (The Shadow Keepers, #2)
  • Whisper Kiss (Dragonfire, #5)
  • Defeat the Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #6)
  • The Redeeming (Immortals, #5)
  • Warrior Avenged (Sons of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Assassin's Honor (Order of the Sicari, #1)
Since launching her career in 2007, award-winning author Shannon K. Butcher has penned more than eighteen titles, including the paranormal romance series, the Sentinel Wars; the action-romance series, the Edge; and a handful of romantic suspense novels and works of short fiction. Being a former engineer and current nerd, she frequently uses charts, graphs and tables to aid her in the mechanics of ...more
More about Shannon K. Butcher...

Sentinel Wars (9 books)
  • Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1)
  • Finding the Lost (Sentinel Wars, #2)
  • Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4)
  • Blood Hunt (Sentinel Wars, #5)
  • Dying Wish (Sentinel Wars, #6)
  • Falling Blind (Sentinel Wars, #7)
  • Willing Sacrifice (Sentinel Wars, #8)
  • Binding Ties (Sentinel Wars, #9)