Start by marking “The Accidental Virgin” as Want to Read:

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  965 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
From: Venus, Goddess of Love, 120 Main, Mt. Olympus

To: Stacy Temple, lapsed temptress

Stacy, Stacy, Stacy.

You were so promising at the beginning: Sexy, smart, personable and funny. Great on dates and really great afterward-if you know what I mean. But this is a sad state of affairs; or, in your case, non-affairs! It's been nearly an entire year and you haven't had your way
Published January 18th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Virgin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Virgin

Melanie
Jan 27, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m glad I read this book before reading other reviewers comments on it as I feel it would have put me off. I thoroughly enjoyed The Accidental Virgin by Valerie Frankel. Valerie has a unique way of writing that borders on the perverse (At times) but in a generally humorous manor. I can’t help but laugh out loud (Much to my partners dislike at times as he thinks I’m laughing at him) at things her characters do and say and especially in this case with Stacy our leading girl.

The story follows Stac
Tara
Aug 08, 2007 Tara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One!
Actually, I HATED this book! My girlfriend recommended it to me after I had recommended "Good in Bed" to her (and she loved "Good in Bed"). I was disgusted the whole time I read it. I think I actually threw up a little in my mouth! I think I was even a little insulted!
Tory
Jun 14, 2009 Tory rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I get really indignant about hating a book, but usually that's because I expected it to be good.

This one, I had ZERO expectations. I mean, seriously with a title like that? And a concept of a chick in her early thirties working for a lingerie dot com start-up trying to get laid within seven days?

How could anyone go in with high expectations?

It was far stretched, absurd, slightly insulting to the female sex and sometimes hilarious. Mostly, it made me roll my eyes.

It was just as I thoug
Samantha
Mar 27, 2012 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have heard that her books are fabulous, so I am definitely going to try another one of her books.

But as far as this one goes, I was pretty disappointed. I have given up about a quarter of the way through. So far, we follow the main character as she struggles to avoid becoming a born-again virgin, but I found myself simply not caring why her status should matter to me. I just didn't identify with her or find her amusing, and she did not capture my empathy. To all those out there who love this b
NATUI
May 18, 2010 NATUI rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So. Fucking. Bad.

I received this in a grab bag of books from a neighbor. I thought it would be a light, funny read. It started with potential, but the complete idiocy of the character and her quest to keep herself from "revirginization" was so over the top and shallow I couldn't believe this was considered a novel for adults. Read it if you are interested in a truly mindless book. It's hours of your life you will never get back, but I suppose it is better than staring at the back of an airplane
Sandy
Jan 26, 2010 Sandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All you need to know about "The Accidental Virgin" is that this is the type of book that gives chick lit a bad name.

Pretend that a thirteen year old girl with decent writing skills for her age, who has never been outside her small town or had a boyfriend, was forced to watch all of "Sex and the City" and then told to write a novel about the lives of single women in New York City and their relationships. Imagine the result.

Now you don't need to read this book!

(You're welcome.)

One star.
Joanie
Sep 07, 2007 Joanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not good at all-really ridiculous and not in a good way. The main character realizes that she hasn't had sex in almost a year so to avoid becoming a born-again virgin she sets out to find someone to sleep with-really dumb.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
The Accidental Virgin was a surprisingly great read. I say surprisingly because of the rating it has here on GR. It should be much higher. I thought the story was funny and quirky.

Stacy's journey in trying to get laid after realizing how long she had been celibate for was pretty challenging. It was rather comical how many times she would get close to finally getting laid only to have something intervene & make it not happen after all.

Although the ending was very fictional. (All her options
Isadora Moraes
1.5 to 1.75
Paula  Phillips
Dec 12, 2012 Paula Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stacey Temple is coming up to almost a whole year without sex and working in a business where sex toys and sexy lingerie are the rage, its a wonder she hasnt managed to find somebody to do the deed with. After her friend Charlie forwards her an email from a sex columnist named Gigi , Stacey Temple realises that if she doesn't have sex in the next couple of weeks - she will officially become a virgin once again. So begins a fun and laughable novel as Stacey is determined to lose herself sexually ...more
Sherri Hunter
Aug 04, 2013 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
To begin with, the description of this book completely misled me as the Goddess of Love made no appearance in this story, whatsoever. I quickly got over that, however, and became so immersed in Stacy Temple’s life that I finished this book in 5 days! I’m still surprised by that because I’m a notoriously slow reader and there just haven’t been many books that I literally inhale so quickly.

Stacy Temple is your typical young working gal who has had her share of ups and downs in the relationship are
Shanel
Jan 18, 2010 Shanel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Kim
Mar 26, 2014 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if it's my age or what, but I find I'm giving up on books a LOT more than I used to. Maybe I'm looking for quality over quantity? Also looking for a protagonist who doesn't annoy me so much within the first three chapters that I chuck the book for something better. This protagonist is like the friend you have who keeps making the same stupid mistakes, and doesn't listen when you gently point them out to her.
Danielle
When I finished "The Accidental Virgin", I thought that it was nothing special. I really wanted to like it but Stacy and her thing about not becoming a virgin just became just too much. The story could have been really good if dealt with differently but the author just made Stacy so desperate. No wonder she had such difficultly finding a man, her desperation must have some level scared them off. I wondered what exactly was her reasoning for her not to become "revirginized". Why was it so importa ...more
Rej Jereca
May 20, 2014 Rej Jereca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book because i was stalling the other book im reading that i fell in love with it and i dont want it to end. This book bored me
Adriana
Feb 10, 2008 Adriana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Adriana by: No one recommended this book to me. I got it from someone at Fr
Oh goodness was this a bad book! Ok...let me take that back. Maybe it's not bad. Maybe it's just not a genra that I can tolerate. I've never been much for chick lit and this is chick lit if there ever was one.

The book is basically about a successful woman working for a .com lingerie company. She is a virgin and is eager to break the cycle of being what she calls "an accidental virgin" before the year mark hits. I won't tell you if she succeeds or not, but I will say she goes through some crazy
Jess
May 07, 2009 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit lovers
Shelves: fiction, funny, borrowed
I would rank this book as mediocre. I have read much better and wittier chick lit than this. A woman has realized that she has not had sex in almost a year so to avoid becoming re-virginized, she attempts to find someone to sleep with. While funny at times, some of the scenarios are also ridiculous. I did not have a lot of sympathy for the main character since it almost feels like she wants to have sex to boost her self-esteem and know that she is desirable. It's a book where you don't have to t ...more
Paula
Oct 19, 2015 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was funnier the first time I read it, a decade ago.
Karen Hayes
Jan 16, 2016 Karen Hayes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty awful.
Estelle
Sep 06, 2011 Estelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2011
Ugh. Totally disappointed in this book. While the main character reminded me of Carrie Bradshaw a majority of the time, I could not relate to her one bit. I felt like this book was demeaning, and embarrassing for all women. Just when I didn't think it could get an worse, we get a grand finale at the end. There is smarter, genuine chick lit/fiction out there. Do me a favor and go find it. Very curious about the other book I have out from the library by Valerie. Let's see if my thoughts on her cha ...more
Lauren
Jul 08, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mostly dumb. Occasionally funny, maybe even witty. The quality of writing wavered between being pretty good and being pandering or at least very superficial (this kind of junk really dated the book, keeping it solidly rooted in the cusp of the millennium). I kept hoping it would get better and when it didn't, I was already close enough to the end I figured I'd just finish it. By the way, the ending is RIDICULOUS, even for a work of fiction. Major eye-roller. That's all I'll say about that. Skip ...more
Christine F. Dargon
fun book. pure silly fluff
Debbie--I have a headache from GR
Quick chick-lit that I picked up at fictionwise.com because it was on sale. I needed something to take my mind off schoolwork and to get me back in the reading spirit after getting knocked out of commission by the flu which made me unable to do much out besides sleep. It was an amusing read that passed the time but I didn't feel very connected with any of the characters. I have read better in the genre but I'm sure there's also much worse out there.
Kristakaye
May 30, 2015 Kristakaye rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I put this on my to read list for some reason. Then I found it on $0.49 clearance so I grabbed it. What a suck fest. I got through about 30 pages, then started with every 3rd page, then just the last couple of pages. I need to learn to just stay away from anything that can be categorized as chick lit. Ugh.

If only the letter from Venus on the cover had anything to do with the story. Venus trying to help her get laid? That's a fun idea.
Liz
Dec 13, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stacy temple has gone without a man in her life since she broke up with Brian. It seemed to be going very well for her until she read an article about women who have gone a year or more without sex are considered to be Revirginized. With only a week left to go before her dreaded one year anniversary Stacy starts her frantic search for a new man. This super funny romantic comedy was hard to put down and ended much to soon.
Apr 01, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
The Good: The Accidental Virgin is light, funny and doesn't take itself too seriously. Stacey is extremely desperate to get laid and goes to ludicrous lengths to get the job done. The entire book is over-the-top but that's the appeal to reading a novel like this.

The Bad: The book is a very quick, very easy read. So quick and easy that it doesn't make a large impression and that makes it kind of forgettable.
Angela
She writes very well. I found myself liking the main character and finished the book because I wanted to know how it ended, despite disagreeing with what was happening throughout. It gets 2 stars because it treats sex so cavalier. When did it become a bad thing to fall in love before you have sex, let alone wait til marriage? And the letters from the online columist were horrid. Maybe this should have 1 star.
Jaye
Jul 23, 2009 Jaye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not thought provoking literature. It is goofy, far-fetched and light reading with a bunch of sex thrown in. For some laugh-out-loud moments, this would be the book for you. If you are on the prudish side or looking for heavy, serious reading you will want to skip it.

Seriously, pay attention to the title...what do you really think you are going to get out of this book?
R*beth*h Hart
Jan 19, 2011 R*beth*h Hart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this one from a girlfriend and couldn't help but laugh out loud! I have never felt more pity for a character so on edge it's laughably slutty. To be that desperate is sad beyond belief but the author has the most enjoyable way about driving you through each scenario. Not sure how much I would reccommend this book but I have shared parts of it that I found enjoyable!
Sue
Jan 12, 2013 Sue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, 2005
Blah. What a waste of time.

I thought that it might be interesting, but it was pretty silly. A desperate woman willing to have sex with ANYONE, and she still can't make it work? She even almost has sex with several (yes, I mean several) people, and she still can never get it done. Ridiculous, not titillating - I assume she was going for titillating...
  • Pick Me Up
  • Just Say Yes
  • Right Before Your Eyes
  • Girl From Mars
  • Fashionistas
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom
  • Does She or Doesn't She?
  • Neurotica
  • Bachelorette #1
  • High Maintenance
  • Bare Necessity
  • Jennifer Johnson Is Sick of Being Single
She's written twenty books (e.g., The Accidental Virgin and The Girlfriend Curse), and contributed to dozens of publications including the New York Times, Self, Allure, Glamour, Parenting and Good Housekeeping. Her memoir, Thin Is the New Happy, about overcoming bad body image after 30 years of dieting and self-loathing, was recently described as "Rueful, zestful and surprisingly funny," by the Ne ...more
More about Valerie Frankel...