Start by marking “Mezolith (Dfc Library)” as Want to Read:
Mezolith (Dfc Library)

Mezolith (Mezolith #1)

Published March 1st 2010 by David Fickling Books

To ask other readers questions about Mezolith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mezolith

Stephen
Jun 08, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graphic novel of stories/mythology of early man seeking to making sense of their world. Picked this because of the artwork which is excellent. The stories are interesting and beautifully well paced. They feel true to stories I imagine these people would have shared around a campfire. Well done.
Csenge
Oct 31, 2016 Csenge rated it it was amazing
I loved recognizing folktales and myths on the pages of this graphic novel. It shows that it was written by a performing storyteller who is intimately familiar with traditional tales, and knows how to weave them all together. The artwork is gorgeous, with close attention to detail, which I especially appreciated as an archaeologist. It was a great read, and a great adventure into the Stone Age. I'm looking forward to the next volume.
LH Johnson
It's hard sometimes to review something which wholly and completely leaves you breathless. Mezolith is that something.

Part of the increasingly impressive DFC imprint, it's a collection of several short stories delivered by the dynamic team of Ben Haggarty and Adam Brockbank. It's a match made in heaven; Haggarty's short, elegant and terse stories play against the rich restraint of Brockbank's artwork to stunning effect.

Mezolith is scary, and it's genuinely so. There's an awareness of the form
Simon Chadwick
Jun 08, 2016 Simon Chadwick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to say that I missed the original David Fickling Books printing of this one, but fortunately spotted this American printing available from Page 45 in Nottingham. It’s the story of a boyhood from 10,000 years ago, set amongst a small tribe in Ancient Britain. The boy, Poika, is teetering before manhood, but youthful exuberance is no match for experience and patience, and so his innocent foolhardiness almost end his life in the opening pages. The tribe rally round, but it is the knowledge of ...more
Iain Macleod
Jan 23, 2012 Iain Macleod rated it it was amazing
I discovered this through the 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die book and got it for my birthday. The artwork is clear and cinematic, authentic and in places quite scary; one panel, with a centipede going somewhere it shouldn't, actually caused me to shudder, something I generally don't do. The stories themselves are compelling, particularly in the way they explore myths and how the characters take them as fact. Interestingly it seems that this may be the case in this world but manages to ...more
The_Mad_Swede
Jun 15, 2016 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy, 2016
Mezolith is a series set 10,000 years ago and follows the Kansa tribe, and in particular the young boy Poika, who is about to become a man. More than anything, however, this first volume reveals the series to be about stories and storytelling, as part of human society and community. It is perhaps not surprising, given that writer Ben Haggarty is a performance storyteller with prestigious track record in that field. Adam Brockbank's visuals add to the brilliance of this volume, and I will say tha ...more
Marina Anik
Sadly this didn't convince me. I love the stone age setting and the art style. I wasn't so fond of the idea of scrambling together fairytales and mythes as guidelines for stories. While it was fun to see a stone age Willhelm- Tell Story, it didn't really ring the bell of originality. So I will not go on with this series.
Kat Nicholson
Jun 29, 2013 Kat Nicholson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I picked up Mezolith by Ben Haggarty, (art by Adam Brockbank) years ago, and it's been sitting on my shelf tempting me to read it since then... today was finally the long-awaited day and I devoured it in one-sitting! I loved every story and character! The art was great and the stories gripping, I really recommend it for anyone who loves a good yarn, or a beautiful comic, as this is both! :)
Angela Critics
Set in prehistoric times, this book includes some of the stereotypical ideas about early humans. It was interesting but not great. I picked it up mainly for the art and wasn't disappointed there.

Sophie
Feb 03, 2011 Sophie rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A beautiful comic about a boy's journey to adulthood, set in the Neolithic Age. While I didn't really connect to the main character or any character, really, I loved the stories the clan told each other. And the art is simply gorgeous.
Emily Johnson
Mar 30, 2016 Emily Johnson rated it it was amazing
The only bad thing about this is it's length - I want more! Amazing art, brilliant storytelling, wonderful in-depth research. So glad I bought this. I'll treasure it!
Stephen Downey
Apr 06, 2013 Stephen Downey rated it it was amazing
I didn't mean to read this book in one sitting, but each chapter left me wanting more. Gorgeous interpretation of Stone-age life intertwined with mythological stories.
Twan
Aug 15, 2012 Twan rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Pretty, purdy artwork in this coming of age tale. Magic, mystics, monsters and crows are all included in the price. Good stuff.
Arantza
Aug 21, 2016 Arantza rated it really liked it
Beautiful drawing and nice stories. The plot didn't seem to me tremendously original, but I enjoyed the slightly unsettling character design (that raven-woman!) and the overall story.
Barrie Collins
Mar 04, 2016 Barrie Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully drawn and told this graphic novel about early times is atmospheric and real in its portrayal of early human lifetimes. Looking forward to the second volume.
Berber
Aug 01, 2016 Berber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ooh I love this...

Edit: minus one star because the edition is so small. Why??? This screams huge format.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Ramsay Wood
Ramsay Wood rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2014
Ipsexaverius
Ipsexaverius rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Rakesh
Rakesh rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Janne
Janne rated it really liked it
Steve Burrow
Steve Burrow rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Fredrik Köhler
Fredrik Köhler rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Jessica A
Jessica A rated it really liked it
Dean
Dean rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2014
Lorisia
Lorisia rated it liked it
Dan, Dan the Library Guy
Dan, Dan the Library Guy rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Mithun Gangopadhyay
Mithun Gangopadhyay rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Siina
Siina rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Andrew Marshall
Andrew Marshall rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016