Start by marking “Forbidden Pleasures” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Pleasures

Forbidden Pleasures

From Las Vegas to Dubai, from Shanghai to London, the fatal pull of the gambling world stretches...

Savannah, pleasure-loving It Girl, wants to prove herself to her powerful, ruthless father Michael Hudson - until a terrible tragedy forces her to re-think her life

Lois, an ex-cop from the wrong side of the tracks, , is now running the gambling business of Michael's greatest
Published August 5th 2010 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden Pleasures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden Pleasures

Jo
Jul 03, 2011 Jo rated it really liked it
Found this one hard to get into at first but then the characters unveiled and I really did enjoy the twists & turns in the story...right up to the end... I was engrossed for hours....so glad I didn't give up at the start!
Chloe
Aug 12, 2010 Chloe rated it really liked it
Savannah, a British IT girl whose Daddy runs a rather successful casino in Las Vegas, is somewhat sick of being a boring socialite. She wants more, but she doesn’t want to be a good girl to get there. A horrible accident at home means Savannah is forced to take stock of her life, and re-evaluate a few things too. She’s sent to a remote island for rehab which her family hopes will bring Savannah back onto the straight and narrow. On the other side of the world, Lois, an ex FBI cop, is finding her ...more
Rhoda
Aug 16, 2010 Rhoda rated it really liked it
I have never had the pleasure of reading any of Jo Rees' work before, but I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. The one negative thing I will say is that I don't believe the blurb does this book justice.

This novel follows the lives of two women, Savannah Hudson, whose father is a casino tycoon, and Lois Chan, an ex-cop who works for Hudson's rival.

Rees sets the scene by introducing these two women at an awards ceremony, before going back in time to tell their stories from five years previously, unt
Jude
Sep 01, 2010 Jude rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book at first and must admit that I struggled to get into it. I found the pace a little slow at the beginning, but things got really moving after the first third of the story.

I was rooting for ex-cop Lois from the start but hated the rich spoilt Savvy. It wasn't until a pivotal incident 2/3 of the way through the book that I began to warm to Savvy and by then I was hooked.

The story starts in the present and then flashes back five years to the first time Sa
Jenni
Jul 28, 2010 Jenni rated it really liked it
The first book I've read for Transworld's Summer Of Reading this was everything I expected. Whilst on the surface it is a tale of the darker side of the glitzy world of casinos, this book is far more about the lives of the two lead characters than about parties, gambling and decadent living.

I felt that the contrast of Savvy who goes from having it all to have nothing, with Lois who is fighting to get her life back worked well. Both characters were a little more rounded than characters I've read
Michelle Hammond
Oct 01, 2012 Michelle Hammond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slower read than my last few. Was a read a couple of chapters come back later kinda read rather than a couldn't put it down for a second one. However that said the last 100 or so pages it did become must read can't put down. You suddenly wanted the 2 main female characters to become friends & both get their happy edings.
Johanna
Kirja kasinomaailmasta, jossa ihmisillä on rahaa ja valtaa. Uhkapelurit olisi ollut huomattavasti parempi kirja, jos suomennos ei olisi ollut niin töksähtelevä. Se aiheutti välillä myötähäpeän tunteita. Hömppänä tämä oli ihan toimiva, joten siitä kolme tähteä.
Darla Van
Dec 02, 2012 Darla Van rated it liked it
There were two books in the house we rented in Tenerife in October, and this was the second that I read. It was guiltily (a real word?)fun, and maybe more so since it was much better than the first one I read. In addition, the setting where I read it was quite wonderful!
Doris
Aug 30, 2013 Doris rated it liked it
Shelves: fluff
The book was pretty good. The reason I only gave 3 stars is because I saw the ending a mile away. I listened to it in audio format and Laurel Lefkow made the book way better; she's an excellent narrator! I'd recommend Forbidden Pleasures from Audible.
Ljm
Sep 04, 2012 Ljm rated it really liked it
Glamourous, Addictive, and pretty dangerous. But remember "every1 has a price" so just take a hint and read because believe me its worth every penny and it's simply "Forbidden Pleasures"
Clare Docherty
Nov 08, 2013 Clare Docherty rated it really liked it
You have to get through the first 1/3 of this book before really getting into it. But when u do, it's worth it!!!! Good read
Maria
Sep 01, 2011 Maria rated it liked it
Not as gripping as Platinum this is still a very good glamourous read set in the world of casinos and gambling. Excellent for chilling out with on the beach/sunbed.
Aileen
Feb 25, 2011 Aileen rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book very much, I got to the end at a struggle, I was going to give up as it was so slow, an ok read not the best I have ever read
Sue
Dec 04, 2010 Sue rated it liked it
Not bad. Easy read - bit predictable - I'd figured it out by about half way through the book - but ok for a bit of light reading.
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Anna-kaisa Takkinen
Anna-kaisa Takkinen rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Heljä-Maaria
Heljä-Maaria rated it liked it
May 08, 2013
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
May 23, 2011
Steph
Steph rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Norma
Norma rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2016
Karen Gilbert
Karen Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Rosanne
Rosanne rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Bethan
Bethan rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Nikki Pike
Nikki Pike rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Zeina Sukhtian
Zeina Sukhtian rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2015
Sini
Sini rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Aleksi
Aleksi rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2015
Kiah
Kiah rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Laura Hadland
Laura Hadland rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Jo Rees published her first novel when she was 26. She went on to write several screenplays and internationally successful novels with her husband, Emlyn Rees, including the number one bestseller, Come Together.

Her first solo project was the bestselling Platinum. It's the big, juicy, glamorous read she's always wanted to write. Her next novel, Forbidden Pleasures, will be published in August 2010
More about Jo Rees...