Start by marking “Pitch Perfect: Communicating with Traditional and Social Media for Scholars, Researchers, and Academic Leaders” as Want to Read:

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This book is intended for scholars, researchers, and academic leaders who have a passion to share their knowledge outside their classroom, laboratory, or institution; who want to make a difference; and who believe that the information they possess and ideas they offer are important for a wider public. "Pitch Perfect" is a practical guide to communicating your knowledge and...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Stylus Publishing (VA)

To ask other readers questions about Pitch Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pitch Perfect

Kelly
Nov 09, 2011 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: college professors and administrators, authors, experts on almost anything
Shelves: work-better
This is my business, media pitching in higher ed. I like this book because it spoon feeds the biz to faculty, who sometimes think they know it all. Or hate giving interviews because they've done it badly in the past. Or speak in jargon. I will recommend this to any professors who want me to pitch their expertise to the media--especially if they don't have a hook for me.
Juliana Rosati
As its subtitle indicates, “Pitch Perfect” aims to help scholars, researchers and academic leaders communicate through traditional and social media. While PR pros may not be its target audience, the book still has much to offer those of us in communications who work in an academic setting or aspire to do so.

The book focuses on two ways in which faculty and administrators can contribute to public understanding of important issues and enhance their institutions’ reputations — by becoming known to...more
Aaron Bolin
I will stop just short of a rave review for Tyson's Pitch Perfect. He delivers a very useful overview of media outlets with very practical advice on how academics can lean into the media fray. He made me think.

In terms of criticism, two relatively minor things come to mind:
1. The book is visually boring. There are no illustrations, diagrams, or pictures. Tyson deviates very little from a straight presentation of linear text.
2. For me, I did not get a real sense of story in the narrative. That is...more
Na
Na added it
Jun 27, 2014
William Jenkins
William Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Peter Simon
Peter Simon marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
S Hinchcliffe
S Hinchcliffe marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Adriana Frescura
Adriana Frescura marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Michelle Geiger
Michelle Geiger marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Kiley
Kiley marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Stylus Publishing
Stylus Publishing is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2010