Thin Kimono

Thin Kimono

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"I like being in the world of Craig's poems. Anything can happen, and probably will, and it will affect me in small or large ways that I couldn't have imagined. The precision of their imagery keeps me reeling with delight."—James Tate

Thin Kimono continues Michael Earl Craig's singular breed of brilliant absurdist poetry, utterly and masterfully slanting the realities of da...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Wave Books

Molly
Feb 11, 2014 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poems
If I'd received these poems, just a cluster of them, in my submission pile, would I have felt the magic that is this collection as a whole?

Some snippets:

After lunch a human head came out, on its own,
from behind the boathouse.
This was supposedly an omen
but we took it as an inconvenience.

Turns out ants were carrying it,
same as a hoagie. (28)

There were over two dozen of them.
Their hands pendulated a little.
This trued them.
The colors of the pool
were deep blue and turquoise
with shafts of gold ligh...more
Maria
Magical, specific, significant. I've read it five or six times. It makes me feel like I swam in a cold river in Montana, and now I'm warming up by the campfire drinking coffee with Flannery O'Conner, Haruki Murakami and Woodie Guthrie.
James Grinwis

At the modern end of the great tradition and long line of ‘farrier poets’ that began with Scotland’s Tiki Tonsylvester in the 14th century, Michael Craig is simply awesome. He is his own voice which houses sadness in the weirdest and oddest and funniest constructions. Simician, Collinsian, Tateian with a little Tahitian and Inuit thrown in. I will employ the often used simile that reading his poems is like when a horse kicks you but just misses; definitely scary, but worthy of a happy sigh of re...more
Ted Powers
Michael Earl Craig continues to make me feel the kind of recklessness in words that I want to feel in life. Needless to say, I'm eating lunch like I mean it.
Kevin
A really fun collection of poems by Craig. The word "wry" comes to mind. Plus, this book includes the best poem about weed whacking ever.
Adam
The reader can almost be dumb, as the poet writes, and still get something out of this book. It's extraordinary.
Allyson
"We dream of perfecting life / somewhere else. In space, let's say. / Wearing Erik Satie stretch pants."

Emily Siegenthaler
Exploding with possibilities, MEC does it again.
Ryan
Funny observations about the quotidian. This book really nails pacing and humor. I feel like the voice of the poems knows how to be subtle and unassuming, which really aids the power of each poem. I mean there are three poems about going to an acupuncturist, all which are oddly profound while simultaneously hilarious. Kudos.
Karlan
Mar 05, 2011 Karlan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult, ya
This slim volume of poetry is entertaining. The poet lives in Montana where he shoes horses for a living. This is his third published book of poetry. The titles of the poems lure the reader back to ones such as "The suicidal peahen stopped" or "After a terrifying nap". Many readers should enjoy this collection.
S.B.
Sep 28, 2012 S.B. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of Frederick Barthelme
Shelves: poetry
It's a poet's job / to be dragged by an ankle / through town.

I find these poems very attractive. I think it has something to do with the nouns, they bring up a strong mental image that I associate with good feelings.
Michael
from Thin Kimono by Michael Earl Craig:

Advice for the Poet

Never aim your bicycle at a chicken.
Never set your glasses on an anvil.
Paul
Not a huge fan of this book, but he has a couple others that are magnificent.
Autumn
<3 montana poets.
Molly Brodak
Wholly smokes.
Winter
Winter added it
Jun 24, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Matt Hudson
Matt Hudson marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014