Start by marking “Thin Kimono” as Want to Read:
Thin Kimono

Thin Kimono

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"I like being in the world of Craig's poems. Anything can happen, and probably will, and it will affect me in small or large ways that I couldn't have imagined. The precision of their imagery keeps me reeling with delight."—James Tate

Thin Kimono continues Michael Earl Craig's singular breed of brilliant absurdist poetry, utterly and masterfully slanting the realities of da
Published August 31st 2010 by Wave Books

To ask other readers questions about Thin Kimono, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thin Kimono

Maria
Sep 20, 2011 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, reviewed
Magical, specific, significant. I've read it five or six times. It makes me feel like I swam in a cold river in Montana, and now I'm warming up by the campfire drinking coffee with Flannery O'Conner, Haruki Murakami and Woodie Guthrie.
Molly
Feb 11, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems
If I'd received these poems, just a cluster of them, in my submission pile, would I have felt the magic that is this collection as a whole?

Some snippets:

After lunch a human head came out, on its own,
from behind the boathouse.
This was supposedly an omen
but we took it as an inconvenience.

Turns out ants were carrying it,
same as a hoagie. (28)

There were over two dozen of them.
Their hands pendulated a little.
This trued them.
The colors of the pool
were deep blue and turquoise
with shafts of gold ligh
James Grinwis
Feb 15, 2011 James Grinwis rated it it was amazing

At the modern end of the great tradition and long line of ‘farrier poets’ that began with Scotland’s Tiki Tonsylvester in the 14th century, Michael Craig is simply awesome. He is his own voice which houses sadness in the weirdest and oddest and funniest constructions. Simician, Collinsian, Tateian with a little Tahitian and Inuit thrown in. I will employ the often used simile that reading his poems is like when a horse kicks you but just misses; definitely scary, but worthy of a happy sigh of re
David Schaafsma
Mar 15, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it it was amazing
I will read this again and a few times, I am sure. When I read it over the past couple days I sometimes laughed until I cried. When I read some of it aloud last night to friend Jen I also choked with laughter, tears streaming down my cheeks. Did Jen also think the stuff that I read was hilarious and wonderful? Not really. I mean, she likes me and was delighted, I am sure, to see me laugh like that. Do I think most other readers of this would laugh like that? I doubt it. Laughter is so idiosyncra ...more
Ted Powers
Sep 18, 2010 Ted Powers rated it it was amazing
Michael Earl Craig continues to make me feel the kind of recklessness in words that I want to feel in life. Needless to say, I'm eating lunch like I mean it.
Kevin
Aug 28, 2010 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, funny-stuff
A really fun collection of poems by Craig. The word "wry" comes to mind. Plus, this book includes the best poem about weed whacking ever.
Adam
Mar 27, 2011 Adam rated it it was amazing
The reader can almost be dumb, as the poet writes, and still get something out of this book. It's extraordinary.
Allyson
Apr 15, 2012 Allyson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, asu-library
"We dream of perfecting life / somewhere else. In space, let's say. / Wearing Erik Satie stretch pants."

Emily Siegenthaler
Dec 26, 2010 Emily Siegenthaler rated it really liked it
Exploding with possibilities, MEC does it again.
Molly Brodak
Feb 11, 2011 Molly Brodak rated it it was amazing
Wholly smokes.
Rachel Glaser
Sep 10, 2014 Rachel Glaser rated it it was amazing
This book is easily one of my five favorite books of poetry ever read. It might be my favorite! It's hilarious and contemplative. It moves gorgeously through the surreal and mundane. Michael Earl Craig is a tremendous thinker and writer!
Geoff Wyss
Dec 29, 2014 Geoff Wyss rated it really liked it
A good rec. from Rachel Glaser. I'm not sure I'd call Craig a genius like she did--her own work is better--but there's a lot of fun and variety here. You never know what you're going to get when you turn the page: prose poem, aphorism, cut-up, anecdote.
Ryan
Mar 26, 2011 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Funny observations about the quotidian. This book really nails pacing and humor. I feel like the voice of the poems knows how to be subtle and unassuming, which really aids the power of each poem. I mean there are three poems about going to an acupuncturist, all which are oddly profound while simultaneously hilarious. Kudos.
Karlan
Mar 05, 2011 Karlan rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, ya
This slim volume of poetry is entertaining. The poet lives in Montana where he shoes horses for a living. This is his third published book of poetry. The titles of the poems lure the reader back to ones such as "The suicidal peahen stopped" or "After a terrifying nap". Many readers should enjoy this collection.
Sep 28, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of Frederick Barthelme
Shelves: poetry
It's a poet's job / to be dragged by an ankle / through town.

I find these poems very attractive. I think it has something to do with the nouns, they bring up a strong mental image that I associate with good feelings.
Michael
Nov 10, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
from Thin Kimono by Michael Earl Craig:

Advice for the Poet

Never aim your bicycle at a chicken.
Never set your glasses on an anvil.
Paul
May 27, 2011 Paul rated it liked it
Not a huge fan of this book, but he has a couple others that are magnificent.
Autumn
Jul 10, 2011 Autumn rated it it was amazing
<3 montana poets.
Marcus
Marcus rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Tyler Harrington
Tyler Harrington marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Jude Alford
Jude Alford rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Barrett White
Barrett White rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Yeye
Yeye marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Grant Carln't
Grant Carln't marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Yellow Dlvn
Yellow Dlvn marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Marcine Miller
Marcine Miller rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Caleb Thom
Caleb Thom rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015