Start by marking “The Baking Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask” as Want to Read:

Master flaky pie crusts, watch your biscuits rise to new heights, and present golden-brown cookies every time. Filled with hundreds of insights and techniques, The Baking Answer Book has you covered. Pastry chef Lauren Chattman provides answers to all of your baking questions and creative ways out of every sticky mess you might find yourself in. Her tips, tricks, and secre ...more
Published October 28th 2009 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Baking Answer Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baking Answer Book

Elsa
Dec 03, 2015 Elsa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Full of great information. I read it straight through, but there's too munch information to remember. It is definitely more of a reference book. I could see pulling this book out before trying any new recipe and reading the pertinent section - or any time I was working on improving my technique of a particular method. It also includes a few well-placed example recipes to see the science and techniques in action.
Innastholiel
Of course it doesn’t answer every question you can possibly come up with, but it is an incredibly useful book, especially for me, as I am just getting into baking theory. The only real criticism I have is that it’s fairly US-centric in terms of equipment and ingredients. I know I don’t have (easy) access to all of the resources mentioned in the book.
Marjanne
Feb 24, 2010 Marjanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-sew-etc
Overall worth the read, though I'm not quite convinced that I need to have this book in my cooking library. I learned a couple of tricks and why you can replace certain things with another. There were also a couple of really interesting recipes. I'm not sure I'll retain much info, but it's a good resource.
Jen Johnson
i really used the knitting and the crochet answer book, in this same line, but i was kind of disappointed in this baking one. there was definitely some good information and i like the q/a style, but i actually felt like it could have used more pictures. weird, since i didn't think that about the knitting or crochet ones at all! oh well.
AJ
---------

Lots of good info in this book, and if there were a vegan version I'd probably want my own copy. I filed away in my brain the hints for making flaky biscuits and the best types of baking dishes.
Joseph
Jan 18, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great resource for bakers! It seems like it might be difficult to find an answer to a specific question, but it is quite comprehensive.
Jen Leclair
Jen Leclair rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
Melanie Kieffer
Melanie Kieffer rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2014
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Andrea Norena
Andrea Norena rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Aury
Aury rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Cobia
Cobia rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Ronald Duncan
Ronald Duncan rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
May 29, 2013
Glenn Dettwiler
Glenn Dettwiler rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2011
Jacki
Oct 23, 2011 Jacki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Clearly written, interesting, and helpful! More of a reference book than a sit-and-read, of course.
Davene
Davene rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2012
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2013
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Mandy  Hornsby
Mandy Hornsby rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2010
Annie Matthys
Annie Matthys rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Kathleen Garcia
Kathleen Garcia rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Beverley Bellard
Beverley Bellard rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2010