Start by marking “Techno Rebels: The Renegades of Electronic Funk” as Want to Read:
Techno Rebels: The Renegades of Electronic Funk

Techno Rebels: The Renegades of Electronic Funk

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  14 reviews
An updated, expanded history of techno music with special attention to its roots in Detroit.
Published April 15th 2010 by Painted Turtle Book (first published May 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Techno Rebels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Techno Rebels

Slye
This is a solid introduction to techno music, its trappings and origins, penned by Dan Sicko at the turn of the century as a sort of round up of techno's history up to that moment.

The undisputed strength of this book lies in its first half, which chronicles the rise of early techno from the crucible of Detroit's early eighties party scene. "Progressive" was the description given at the time to the mix of funk, new wave, disco and synth pop that held sway on the city's dancefloors, records drawn
Kathleen
i wanted to love this book. i love detroit. i love detroit techno. i loved dancing my ass off in filthy abandoned factories and warehouses with no lights. there was a joyful, creative, communal feeling that i got, and that my friends got, going into the ruins of detroit and making joy there. it was a triumphant feeling we got from our reclamation of those spaces. i wanted this book to capture that feeling that techno gave detroit. and it didn't.
it was a very informative book, which was nice. bu
Andrew
I'm surprised to see the lower reviews that this book receives on GoodReads; it's an entirely comprehensive study of the origins and maturation of Detroit Techno. The book does a great job of digging deep into the socioeconomics of the era that gave birth to the genre, so that by the time you get to the big Charivari party, you understand exactly why these kids are blending the things that they're blending together and where the genre was born.

To be fair, the second half of the book is scattere
Jenn
While I'm glad that a book exists on Detroit techno, it really only skims the surface. The fact that Dan Sicko chose to not include the warehouse parties that went on here in Detroit is really questionable, as that was a major part of the development of many dj's here. The DEMF was remarkable because it gave credence to what everyone had been doing underground for so many years. Now the DEMF is just a quick cash-grab. This book serves more as biographical information about the pioneers of Detroi ...more
Justin
Jul 26, 2007 Justin rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody interested in the history of Techno
While the book is kind of dated (written in 1999 -- it discusses mp3 as an emerging distribution technology) and the writing style is pretty dry (very academic in nature), the book does provide an informative history of techno up to 1999. I feel the author does kind of overemphasize the importance of developments in Detroit throughout the book, but he does at least somewhat cover techno developments elsewhere in the world. Or maybe I'm not giving Detroit the credit it deserves. Overall, much of ...more
Robert
Not so much good writing. But some history I wanted: advent of detroit techno. How it came from Chicago "house" music. And how Canada relates. And how it really, and I guess not-surprisingly, well, how much of all this stuff comes from kraftwerk and 70's disco.

Pretty much disregarded the latter chapters -- those seemed more fanzine than history.
Monica
Sep 16, 2008 Monica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Does this count as "currently reading" if I'm kind of on hold with it? It's weird: as a techno freak I really should have read this book long ago. But I guess it just doesn't hold me, oddly enough.
Stos
Dec 18, 2007 Stos rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Detroiters, Techno/Electronic Music fans
Easily the most comprehensive book ever written on Detroit Techno, and Detroit's overall contribution to the global electronic music scene. A must read for fans of Detroit, and electronic music.
Kelly
Aug 05, 2007 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dorks
Fairly basic account of the origins of techno. Ideally, this book would have been split into multiple volumes in order to fully explore the contributions made by each city.
Todd Johnson
An excellent and comprehensive history lesson for anyone into the electronic music genre that wants to know the beginnings.
Less_cunning
great survey of techno. easy read not weighted down by academic jargon or music theory. excellent primer.
Edwin
Very good history of Techno (Detroit focussed)
Edwin
Even better than the 1999 version
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2015
Trippies Freekeys
Trippies Freekeys marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Rodrigo Faria
Rodrigo Faria marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
J.L. Flores
J.L. Flores marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Derosset Gordon
Derosset Gordon marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
  • Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey
  • Love Saves the Day: A History of American Dance Music Culture, 1970-1979
  • Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco
  • Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies
  • Generation ecstasy : into the world of techno and rave culture
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • Altered State: The Story of Ecstasy Culture and Acid House
  • Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound and Imaginary Worlds
  • Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking [With CD]
  • How Soon Is Now? The Madmen & Mavericks Who Made Independent Music (1975-2005)
  • More Brilliant Than the Sun: Adventures in Sonic Fiction
  • The Ambient Century: From Mahler to Trance: The Evolution of Sound in the Electronic Age
  • The Mysticism of Sound and Music
  • And Party Every Day: The Inside Story of Casablanca Records
  • Space is the Place: The Lives and Times of Sun Ra
  • The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop--and Why It Matters
  • Butt Book
  • Club Cultures: Music, Media, and Subcultural Capital (Music Culture)
Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey The Record Players: DJ Revolutionaries How to DJ Right: The Art and Science of Playing Records Boy's Own, the Complete Fanzines 1986-92: Acid House Scrapes and Capers: "Boy's Own", the Complete Fanzines 1986-92: Acid House Scrapes and Capers