Start by marking “Dear Zoo (Dear Zoo & Friends)” as Want to Read:
Dear Zoo (Dear Zoo & Friends)

Dear Zoo (Dear Zoo & Friends)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  16,665 Ratings  ·  426 Reviews
This delightful pop-up edition of the classic storybook about a youngster loooking for a perfect pet is available for the first time. Lift the flaps and see each three-dimensional animal the ZOO has sent -- and the special touch-and-feel surprise at the end.
Published April 1st 2005 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Dear Zoo, please sign up.

Miriam
Aug 24, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Original review, August 19, 2015

Huh, I somehow missed this excellent very-easy-reader when I was kid and only just encountered it as my baby niece had it. She handed it to me in exchange for my Michelin Must Sees Milan & Italian Lakes guide, which apparently I am not getting back. I did not get to keep this book, either. Babies are unfair like that.

Update, February 8, 2016

5 months later this is still a firm favorite with my niece, who wanted it read three times before bed. She has memorized
Anne
Apr 07, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to lift flaps
Shelves: young-children
This is just the bestest Lift-a-Flap book evah!

This kid writes to the zoo, because they want a pet...
Hilarity ensues as the crates start arriving, and the kid ends up having to send the animals back.
They get a giraffe. (view spoiler)
A lion. (view spoiler)
Classic favourite.
Chim Cụt
Nov 20, 2016 Chim Cụt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CƯNG HẾT CHỖ NÓI!

Lần đầu tớ tận mục sở thị cuốn này là ở nhà sách Phương Nam. Thử một hai trang đầu, chúng tớ thấy thích quá thế là tớ quyết định... gập lại để về trên kệ luôn. Má ôi! Thân gửi Sở thú với tớ lúc ấy như món ngon phải để dành ăn vào thời điểm thích hợp, ăn một mình, ăn ngay, ăn trọn, ăn từ từ, ăn không ngừng nghỉ. Tớ phải canh me trên Tiki đợt Hội sách Online rồi mới được thỏa mãn cách đây đôi ba hôm gì á.

Đây là điển hình của kiểu sách nhõn vài chữ nên phải đọc từ trang cuối quay l
Camille
I borrowed the words from this book and set the book aside for parents to look at and/or check out. Its much more fun when you're "reading" this with babies and toddlers and using something fun, furry and soft.
When I "read" it, I had a box marked "From the Zoo" (as if the kids could read it) and I would just say the same line over and over again:
"I wrote to the zoo to send me a pet..." (That's a direct quote from the book) and then I'd pull out a different puppet from the box and bring it to lif
Helen
May 11, 2013 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I've got a sticker on the back of my car that says "Dogs are for life, not just for Christmas" (What?!?! Ok, I'm one of those smug animal lovers who have naff, self righteous car stickers. And I couldn't say no to the animal charity where I got my dog from, when they asked me to stick it on my rear screen window.).

Regardless. Is it a bit hypocritical of me to be endorsing this book, based on my ethical beliefs that animals are not toys to be swapped, sold on, imprisoned or treated as inanimate o
Bam
Jul 08, 2016 Bam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute lift-the-flap book.
Louise
Sep 23, 2016 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Cute little book and my children love opening the flaps and shouting out the animal names.
Karen
Sep 07, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review 3

Rod Campbell

Dear Zoo

This story is a fun introduction to animals and their characteristics. It is written in the first person, with repetitive sentences. The nature of repetitiveness enables young readers to predict and engage with the story.

The story is written as a letter to a zoo asking them to send a pet to the reader. Each page has a flap which carefully hides the animal sent from the zoo and a written clue for example, ‘heavy’ or ‘danger’ on the animal’s container. At the end
Basra
Apr 28, 2012 Basra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and interactive book, children will enjoy lifting the flaps. It describes they animals and explains why they would not be a suitable pet. This teaches children about the difference between wild animals and pets.
Children can guess what animals they think will be behind the flap and explain why, which encourages verbal reasoning. The book provides ample opportunity for discussion the children can talk about what animal they would like as a pet. The children will be asked to explain
Aisha
Jan 21, 2012 Aisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book ‘Dear Zoo’ by Rod Campbell was a favourite amongst the children at my nursery. It’s a story about a child who writes to the zoo asking for a pet, and receives a number of unsuitable animals from them. The children at my nursery really loved the interactive ‘lift the flap’ element and would ask for this book to be read to them again and again. After memorising the entire story they would then be reading it back to me!
It was a great way to build children’s knowledge and understanding of
Sadia Mansoor
Dec 16, 2016 Sadia Mansoor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Such a cute lift - the flap book with adorable illustrations of the zoo animals ! ^_^
Simon
You have got to ask some serious questions about the ethics of a zoo that will send a tiger(!) to you at the merest postal request. That's just cavalier at best.
Matt
Mar 26, 2017 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bennetts-books
As he hasn't ruled out one day becoming a zookeeper, Ben found the premise of this book intriguing; a kid writes a letter to the zoo and gets free stuff. Sounds great, right? After all, he's currently unemployed and can't very well buy his own things, let alone afford a pet. Also there's flaps and those always blow his mind.
But as we read on and flipped the flaps he had some questions that kind of took him away from the story, like what are lions and how exactly does being fierce disqualify the
Oanh
We have both a board book and a paperback.

Baby loves them, and seems to make no distinction between board book or paperback. She's very good at waiting until just the right moment to lift the flap.

I am worried about the moral of this story. I do not wish for my Baby to (a) think she can write to a zoo for a pet, (b) think she can keep wild animals as pets (c) think she can return gifts ad nauseum or (d) want a puppy.
DadReads
A sadistic zookeeper attempts murder by luring a small child into close contact with a lion and a snake.

Mairead
Love the art and flaps. This will be so much fun to read later again.
Rebekah Shuffle
Sep 30, 2015 Rebekah Shuffle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Zoo is a great interactive book in which the reader can be physically be involved with the book; it is a lift-flap book which will get the children completely engaged!

The child in this book is in need of a pet, so they write a letter to the zoo to send them one. Throughout the book the zoo sends different animals until the child finds the right one suited to him and his house. Behind each flap was a different animal and each time the children anticipate what animal is behind the flap.

Due to
Carina
Apr 21, 2012 Carina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Dear Zoo' by Rod Campbell is a very simple story for young children that tells the story of a zoo delivering all sorts of unusual and inappropriate animals to a customer as a pet. The story is written in the first person, so any child reading the story would at once feel part of the action, the reader is never actually told who is receiving the pets. 'Dear Zoo' is also a lift the flap book, which makes it more interactive and kinaesthetic for children, it also encourages them to use their imagi ...more
Fatima
Sep 01, 2015 Fatima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Zoo is about child sending a letter to the zoo asking for a pet. The zoo send various animals not pleasing the child at all. At the end of the story the zoo delivers the perfect pet.
This book is a lift the flap up book. I have read this story to many children, and it is an easy to read book. This book is mainly aimed at children ages 2-5years, the children that I read the book to enjoyed lifting the flaps in the book, they loved guessing what was behind the flaps. The flaps intrigued them.
Meghan Griffiths
Jul 10, 2012 Meghan Griffiths rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Zoo is a fun and interactive lift-the-flap book, based on a letter to the zoo for a pet. Underneath the flaps different zoo animals can be found, including: an elephant, a tiger, a snake and a monkey. All of these animals are deemed unsuitable pets and sent back to the zoo for being "too fierce", "too large", "too scary" or "too naughty". However, in the end the perfect pet is found.

After rediscovering this book today, I found it nostalgic, remembering the fun I had as a kid guessing which
Hassan Ali
Mar 20, 2014 Hassan Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book review 4 - Dear Zoo – Rod Campbell (2010)

This book holds fond memories and still remains as a classic educational book for children in the past and present alike. You can almost sense the adventure the cook has to offer by taking a look at its front cover. It is colourful, exciting and fun. The book will aim at children from nursery to key stage one – and can be read quietly, aloud or listened. Why is this book such a charm to read and to look at? This book introduces children to the many
Zahara
Sep 01, 2013 Zahara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell

A pop book in which a small child writes to the zoo requesting the zoo for an animal. The zoo sends him different animals, which are all inappropriate and are sent back until the zoo sends him a puppy which he is delighted with.

This book is a brilliant read for beginners as it consists of basic words which beginners are familiar with, and the use ‘lift the flap’ encourages the children to guess what is beneath the flap.
This book would appeal to children aged between 3-5
Paul Foley
Oct 04, 2011 Paul Foley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent reading book for reception class. It is about a boy who writes to the zoo for a pet and the zoo sends him a number of pets which he sends back for a number of reasons eg.” The Giraffe is too tall”. The good thing about the book is that it is a lift the flap book so the animals are covered. It would be useful for introducing a lesson about different animals eg. Read that page and get the children what animal at the zoo would be too tall? There are a lot of uses for this book ...more
Amy
Oct 29, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Zoo - Rod Campbell

Celebrating it's thirtieth year in publication Dear Zoo is still as enjoyable today as it was in 1982. Dear Zoo is a short tale of a child that writes to a Zoo asking for a pet. One by one the Zoo sends seven animals, all of which are unsuitable, and have to be sent back. Finally the Zoo sends a puppy which is perfect and the person keeps the puppy.

The text is very simple and easy to follow. The bulk of the narrative is repeated on each double page, only the animal and th
Ceri
May 05, 2014 Ceri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Zoo

A letter is sent to the zoo, to find a new pet, which leads to a succession of different animals being sent out all of course are not suitable pets, until the last page of course.

The pop-up element to this story is suitable for children between the ages of 3-5; children enjoy discovering what animal is behind the door and allowing them to predict which animal might it be in each box from the zoo.

It could be used for:

Language and Literacy - Children could make their own zigzag book wit
Sharmin Ali
Aug 31, 2013 Sharmin Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A letter is written to the zoo asking for a pet. Firstly the zoo sent an elephant but it’s too big. Then a giraffe is sent but its too tall. A lion is sent but it’s too fierce. Next animal sent is a camel but it’s too grumpy. A snake is sent but it’s too scary. So then they sent a monkey but the monkey was too naughty. Then they sent a frog but the frog was too jumpy. The zoo had to think very hard about what they needed to send in order for it to be perfect. So they sent a little puppy and he w ...more
Ann Marron
May 04, 2012 Ann Marron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Zoo is a book I remember being read and re-read by my younge sister when she was a baby. It is a lift-the-flap-book which always captures the attention of the young reader. It is another book i found in my SEA book corner and a favourite with the class. I read a lot of books with a child in the class who was a selective mute but it was this book that always made her come to life. Although she did not speak to me, she would make the animal noises for me so I would turn the page and keep read ...more
Ross Oates
Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell is a story of the zoo sending various animals to a child. The zoo sends many animals which all have different characteristics but each time the child finds something wrong with each animal. The book has flaps, which allow the children to be interactive with the book. It has a repetitive structure, which helps the young readers to recognize words that they will often use. While on placement I used this book with my year 1 class to help them start writing sentences. The re ...more
Deborah Malaponti
Dear Zoo is an entertaining children’s book of the zoo sending a pet to a young boy. The zoo sends many pets which all have different qualities, which are just not right for the child. The fact that the book has big images and flaps for the children to pull down makes it quite an interactive book. Each flap has a clue to what the animal could be inside the flap which also allows for the excitement of guessing the animal. It has a repetitive structure which encourages young readers to join it. I ...more
  • Where is the Green Sheep?
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Where's Spot?
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Clip-Clop
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Peek-a-Boo
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Who Hops?
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Who Sank the Boat? (Paperstar)
  • The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book
  • Farmyard Beat
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!