Start by marking “A Simple Path” as Want to Read:
A Simple Path

A Simple Path

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,014 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Known around the globe for her indefatigable work on behalf of the poor, the sick, and the dying, Mother Teresa has devoted her life to giving hope to the hopeless in more than one hundred and twenty countries. She inspires us all to find a way to translate our spiritual beliefs into action in the world. How has one woman accomplished so much? And what are the guiding prin ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published May 1995)

K.D. Absolutely
Mother Teresa's prescription for salvation is very simple: give up all your riches, pray hard and have genuine love for everyone. Everything will follow. We all know that this is hard to do. As Jesus says, it is easier for the camel to enter the head of the needle than for rich people to enter the kingdom of God. Other evangelists say differently though: there is nothing wrong with being rich. God wants us to have an abundant life. We just have to share though.

So, which one is the correct one? I
Apr 15, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simply lovely book. Anyone of any faith should take the time and read this wonderful description of the Simple Path Mother Teresa and her Missonaries of Charity have taken. I will certainly look at things differently and make some life changes.
Mother Teresa's name is listed as author, but there a lot of other bits contributed by other faithful nuns and priests, and I find that I prefer Mother Teresa's simplicity to the illustrations and enhancements of the others.
Inspiration. Inspiration to truly be humane and graced by actually live our spirituality by our good will and actions toward all of God's creations.
Joy Azmitia
My interest in Mother Teresa and her work was piqued when one of my yoga instructors read Mother Teresa's "Anyway" aloud during shavasana. I was amazed at the beauty and simplicity of those inspiring words and felt the need to learn more about this phenomenal woman, who was determined to make the world a better place. I picked A SIMPLE PATH instead of one of Mother Teresa's other books because it has "Anyway" in the back, and because I thought something about abstract concepts, in this case lovi ...more
Mar 24, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I would like to give a five-star rating to a book about/by Mother Teresa, I cannot do so in this instance. This book contained more quotes and insights from members of the Missionaries of Charity and volunteers than from Mother Teresa herself. Furthermore, the author's intermingling of Catholic "social justice" activities with beliefs of non-Christians and New Agers were laughable at best. Furthermore, when I read the author/editor's suggestion that when the non-Christian reader encou ...more
Jan 09, 2009 Vida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the past 8 years or so, I have volunteered at a Jesuit run, Roman Catholic elementary school located in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago. Next to the school lies a "Contemplative" house run by the Missionaries of Charity. I have watched Mother Teresa's followers, the nuns, walk about the neighborhood and heard them praying many times during mass early on a summer morning. For some reason, I have lately been wondering what they "really" do. A friend recommended this book. It explains the wh ...more
Chris Bailey
Mar 18, 2016 Chris Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring book. And one that causes you to take a good hard look at what you are accomplishing in your life and what your priorities are. She started with helping one person and has literally changed thousands of lives. The book was missing some information about exactly how it all came about but I suspect there's other books to read with that detail. This was just a very honest and humble look at the work her organization does and her simple philosophy. I love the poems and sayings sprinkled ...more
Aug 19, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
What and incredible woman of God! She lives Jesus with all her heart, soul, mind, and strength, and shared that love to the least of us just as we're all commanded.
What an inspiring testimony of how God will do remarkable things in and through us if we let him. Love, service, and me a vessel of peace to those around us. Most of all, talk with God at least once a day! Prayer is not a last resort, it is vital to our relationship with God! Amazing!
Name Doris Powell
Talk about inspiration! This book is none other. And you don't even have to be Christian. She addresses Hindus and Muslims also. She even addresses atheists who want to do good in this world. So this would appeal to everybody who is trying to make the world a better place by aiding the neediest and the poorest. There are quotes from Mother Teresa, quotes from other sisters and brothers, and also quotes from volunteers.
Oct 23, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a treasure, that's about all I can say about it. Mother Theresa has always been an enigma to me, but now after reading this book I feel like I know her as well as I knew my own grandmother and she is a true role model for me. Her words are so wise and so humble. I hope to live my life after her example!
Kimberly Tate
Oct 16, 2016 Kimberly Tate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book!
Oct 15, 2016 Sister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is more about Saint Teresa of Calcutta's philosophy than about who she was. Other sisters and volunteers actually do a lot of the talking in the book.
Jennifer Radtke
Jan 25, 2013 Jennifer Radtke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to the story of Mother Teresa when I heard that she felt like God had abandoned her for a point in her life. If Mother Teresa can go through a season like that, I can learn something from her.

This book was a thrift store find for me. The book is partially her philosophies, part interviews with the volunteers, and part messages that are shared at all the different locations. I really enjoyed some of the signs that they have hanging in their buildings. I also enjoyed the simpleness of
Fernando de Uña
Buen libro para comprender a las Misioneras de la Caridad (congregación fundada por Madre Teresa) a través de la exposición de los diferentes aspectos de su apostolado de amor a los más pobres de entre los pobres. Ayuda a entender lo que mueve a las MC (y a su contrapartida masculina), remarcando desde mi punto de vista dos hechos principales que a veces se olvidan: (1) que las MC no son una ONG, ni lo pretenden, y (2) que las misioneras no pretenden curar sino aliviar el sufrimiento de los pobr ...more
Togar  Silaban
Ibu Teresa menulis:
"Saya selalu mengatakan, kita hendaknya menolong seorang Hindu untuk menjadi Hindu yang lebih baik, seorang Islam untuk menjadi Islam yang lebih baik, dan seorang Katolik untuk menjadi Katolik yang lebih baik." (halaman 20.)

Doa Ibu Teresa:

Marilah kita menjadi cabang dan rating sejati
yang penuh buah pada Yesus sang pokok anggur
dengan menerima Dia dalam hidup kita,
memperkenankan Dia untuk datang,
sebagai Kebenaran untuk diwartakan,
sebagai Kehidupan untuk dihayati,
Ahmad Nazeri
Apr 06, 2015 Ahmad Nazeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A therapeutic read that emphasizes the importance of losing one's self in the service of others and the greater world.

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone coul
This is a beautiful and inspiring book filled with words from Blessed Mother Teresa (her canonization hasn't been set yet), her fellow Missionaries of Charity, and volunteers. It tells a beautiful story about the work the sisters have done all over the world, and more importantly their selfless mission to do it all in love of Christ.

The book is a quick read written in very short chapters. One could easily use it as a devotional, but I could not put it down. I was captivated by the total selfless
Rat de bibliothèque
A Simple Path introduces you to how Mother Teresa became the saint we know her as today and the guiding principles that have enabled humble nuns to so profoundly affect the lives of millions.

The chapter are on Prayer, Faith, Lover, Service, and Peace. Each chapter is broken into smaller parts, for example, "Every Act of Love is a Prayer" and "The Warmth of Our Hand".
The thoughts and experiences of Mother Teresa herself (compiled by Lucinda Vardey) give you a candid look at the simplicity and sel
Jul 26, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard a lot of false things about Mother Teresa. It was nice to get to know her history and mission. Her calling to help the poor, many would feel as overwhelming, but she took it one step at a time and in her lifetime did so much for God's kingdom.
As a woman of faith in Western culture, I feel as though my faith has gotten diluted in Luke-warm complacency. Her story and vision, motivates and spurs me on to understand a little better what faith in action can truly do. "Faith that can move
Nov 10, 2009 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mother Teresa has always fascinated me, yet this is the first book that I have read about her. This was not so much of a biography, which I expected as it was about her support group and what motivated her to help the impoverished and dying people of India and around the world. I am going to read an earlier book about Mother Teresa.... I think this is the most recent and a lot of interesting things about how she got to the point that she did has already been well covered in other biographies. I ...more
Jul 10, 2008 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is, for the most part, broken up into brief sub-sections, which makes it both accessible and a quick read. The five main sections on Prayer, Faith, Love, Service, and Peace include passages written by Mother Theresa and the Missionaries of Charity throughout the world. I recommend it if you desire to be challenged and motivated toward a holier lifestyle; toward a simplicity of being; toward a contemplative place, where you examine your relationships and surroundings and know that the o ...more
Aug 16, 2007 Madelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
The book is about Mother Teresa's work all over the world (120+ countries), especially in India, where she ran homes for lepers, TB patients, the mentally handicapped, the destitute and dying, and orphans. She worked with the poorest of the poor, while treating everyone with respect and dignity and judging no one. Her writing is as simple as her life, but just as special. Her words have a way of making you feel good inside and closer to God, and I feel blessed to have chosen this book. It's goin ...more
Feb 14, 2014 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Mother Teresa – A Simple Path’ is a book that I picked up at a library book sale because I knew little about this great and quiet person and thought I would like to know more. It turned out to not be biographical or autobiographical or particularly historical; but more of a work about her tireless work and her faith, and prayer, and missionaries, and compassion and this sort of thing. I actually left several sticky post-its attached to some parts that really got me thinking. It wasn’t what I ex ...more
Born as Agnes Gonxha in 1910 in Albania. When she was eighteen, she joined the Irish order, learned English and then went to Calcutta, India to teach at St. Mary's High School. When she took her vows, she chose her name after St. Theresa of Lisieux, known as the Flower of Jesus. In 1950, she started her own order, the Missionaries of Charity and founded homes, schools, and hospices around the world.
Apr 07, 2011 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Когато преди няколко години Майка Тереза посети Вашингтон, спомням си как на Капитолия един сенатор й каза: „Майко, работата, която вършиш, е изумителна”, а тя отговори: „Божа работа”. Тогава той я попита: „Но можеш ли да почувстваш някога удовлетворение от делата си в Индия, където проблемите са безчетни – не са ли безсмислени твоите опити?” Тя отвърна: „Сенаторе, не сме призовани да бъдем удовлетворени. Призовани сме да бъдем вярващи.”
Oct 14, 2013 Michel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book (can't remember how it ended up on my book shelf) because I was interested in learning more about Mother Teresa as a historical figure. I was disappointed. It discusses the houses she created for service to the poor and shares numerous anecdotes, but I feel like it lacks true insight into Mother Teresa herself. It also had a lot of prayers written out. Not at all what I thought it would be.
Feb 26, 2013 Merri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that Mother Teresa is one of the very few Christians that doesn't ram religion down anyone's throat. Her message is beautiful and clear: God is love. She addresses different religions as well as atheists and encourages them to simply do good in the world. She doesn't use the bible to judge or condemn others, and only uplifts. This is a great book if you have been pushed away from God and Christianity like I have. I would rather follow Mother Teresa's teachings rather than the bible.
Our public library has a summer reading program for adults this year. I have to read books with different genres to get a BINGO. This was the book I chose for a biography. It was nice to learn more about Mother Teresa. This book was more about her beliefs than a biography of her life. This was written in 1996 so it didn't have anything about her being made a saint. I was interested in that whole process. I guess I'll have to look it up on line!
Apr 22, 2009 Glenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some simple but profound truths, is a quick read, and I definitely recommend it. What this book does is give the late Mother Teresa a chance to expound her philosophy of service. What makes it a little confusing is that her observations are interspersed with those of the people she worked with, and that makes the book a little confusing. Maybe it was unobservant of me, but I tended to forget who was writing what I was reading.
  • Crossing the Threshold of Hope
  • Golgotha
  • Surprised By Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic
  • Be Thou An Example
  • Savior & the Serpent: Unlocking the Doctrine of the Fall
  • Six Events: The Restoration Model for Solving Life's Problems
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • United States Catholic Catechism for Adults
  • Something Beautiful for God
  • The Quotable Evans : Diaries, Letter and Lessons from the Novels of Richard Paul Evans
  • Fundamentals of the Faith
  • The Life and Legends of Saint Francis of Assisi
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • Catherine of Siena: The Dialogue (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy: A Woman's Guide to a Better Life
  • Things As They Really Are
  • The Uses of Adversity
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, or Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had become inte
More about Mother Teresa...

“The greatest disease in the West today is not TB or leprosy; it is being unwanted, unloved, and uncared for. We can cure physical diseases with medicine, but the only cure for loneliness, despair, and hopelessness is love. There are many in the world who are dying for a piece of bread but there are many more dying for a little love. The poverty in the West is a different kind of poverty -- it is not only a poverty of loneliness but also of spirituality. There's a hunger for love, as there is a hunger for God.” 1382 likes
“When you know how much God is in love with you then you can only live your life radiating that love.” 49 likes