A Simple Path

A Simple Path

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  694 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Known around the globe for her indefatigable work on behalf of the poor, the sick, and the dying, Mother Teresa has devoted her life to giving hope to the hopeless in more than one hundred and twenty countries. She inspires us all to find a way to translate our spiritual beliefs into action in the world. How has one woman accomplished so much? And what are the guiding prin...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 1995)

Joy Azmitia
My interest in Mother Teresa and her work was piqued when one of my yoga instructors read Mother Teresa's "Anyway" aloud during shavasana. I was amazed at the beauty and simplicity of those inspiring words and felt the need to learn more about this phenomenal woman, who was determined to make the world a better place. I picked A SIMPLE PATH instead of one of Mother Teresa's other books because it has "Anyway" in the back, and because I thought something about abstract concepts, in this case lovi...more
Vida
For the past 8 years or so, I have volunteered at a Jesuit run, Roman Catholic elementary school located in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago. Next to the school lies a "Contemplative" house run by the Missionaries of Charity. I have watched Mother Teresa's followers, the nuns, walk about the neighborhood and heard them praying many times during mass early on a summer morning. For some reason, I have lately been wondering what they "really" do. A friend recommended this book. It explains the wh...more
Renee
What and incredible woman of God! She lives Jesus with all her heart, soul, mind, and strength, and shared that love to the least of us just as we're all commanded.
What an inspiring testimony of how God will do remarkable things in and through us if we let him. Love, service, and me a vessel of peace to those around us. Most of all, talk with God at least once a day! Prayer is not a last resort, it is vital to our relationship with God! Amazing!
Namedoris Powell
Talk about inspiration! This book is none other. And you don't even have to be Christian. She addresses Hindus and Muslims also. She even addresses atheists who want to do good in this world. So this would appeal to everybody who is trying to make the world a better place by aiding the neediest and the poorest. There are quotes from Mother Teresa, quotes from other sisters and brothers, and also quotes from volunteers.
Kelly
This book is a treasure, that's about all I can say about it. Mother Theresa has always been an enigma to me, but now after reading this book I feel like I know her as well as I knew my own grandmother and she is a true role model for me. Her words are so wise and so humble. I hope to live my life after her example!
Matthew
A simply lovely book. Anyone of any faith should take the time and read this wonderful description of the Simple Path Mother Teresa and her Missonaries of Charity have taken. I will certainly look at things differently and make some life changes.
Rachel
Mother Teresa's name is listed as author, but there a lot of other bits contributed by other faithful nuns and priests, and I find that I prefer Mother Teresa's simplicity to the illustrations and enhancements of the others.
Fernando de Uña
Buen libro para comprender a las Misioneras de la Caridad (congregación fundada por Madre Teresa) a través de la exposición de los diferentes aspectos de su apostolado de amor a los más pobres de entre los pobres. Ayuda a entender lo que mueve a las MC (y a su contrapartida masculina), remarcando desde mi punto de vista dos hechos principales que a veces se olvidan: (1) que las MC no son una ONG, ni lo pretenden, y (2) que las misioneras no pretenden curar sino aliviar el sufrimiento de los pobr...more
Jennifer Radtke
I was drawn to the story of Mother Teresa when I heard that she felt like God had abandoned her for a point in her life. If Mother Teresa can go through a season like that, I can learn something from her.

This book was a thrift store find for me. The book is partially her philosophies, part interviews with the volunteers, and part messages that are shared at all the different locations. I really enjoyed some of the signs that they have hanging in their buildings. I also enjoyed the simpleness of...more
Bob
‘Mother Teresa – A Simple Path’ is a book that I picked up at a library book sale because I knew little about this great and quiet person and thought I would like to know more. It turned out to not be biographical or autobiographical or particularly historical; but more of a work about her tireless work and her faith, and prayer, and missionaries, and compassion and this sort of thing. I actually left several sticky post-its attached to some parts that really got me thinking. It wasn’t what I ex...more
Rat de bibliothèque
A Simple Path introduces you to how Mother Teresa became the saint we know her as today and the guiding principles that have enabled humble nuns to so profoundly affect the lives of millions.

The chapter are on Prayer, Faith, Lover, Service, and Peace. Each chapter is broken into smaller parts, for example, "Every Act of Love is a Prayer" and "The Warmth of Our Hand".
The thoughts and experiences of Mother Teresa herself (compiled by Lucinda Vardey) give you a candid look at the simplicity and sel...more
Al-mirah
Inspiration. Inspiration to truly be humane and graced by God...to actually live our spirituality by our good will and actions toward all of God's creations.
Amy
I had heard a lot of false things about Mother Teresa. It was nice to get to know her history and mission. Her calling to help the poor, many would feel as overwhelming, but she took it one step at a time and in her lifetime did so much for God's kingdom.
As a woman of faith in Western culture, I feel as though my faith has gotten diluted in Luke-warm complacency. Her story and vision, motivates and spurs me on to understand a little better what faith in action can truly do. "Faith that can move...more
Alison
Mother Teresa has always fascinated me, yet this is the first book that I have read about her. This was not so much of a biography, which I expected as it was about her support group and what motivated her to help the impoverished and dying people of India and around the world. I am going to read an earlier book about Mother Teresa.... I think this is the most recent and a lot of interesting things about how she got to the point that she did has already been well covered in other biographies. I...more
Meghan
This book is, for the most part, broken up into brief sub-sections, which makes it both accessible and a quick read. The five main sections on Prayer, Faith, Love, Service, and Peace include passages written by Mother Theresa and the Missionaries of Charity throughout the world. I recommend it if you desire to be challenged and motivated toward a holier lifestyle; toward a simplicity of being; toward a contemplative place, where you examine your relationships and surroundings and know that the o...more
Madelyn
The book is about Mother Teresa's work all over the world (120+ countries), especially in India, where she ran homes for lepers, TB patients, the mentally handicapped, the destitute and dying, and orphans. She worked with the poorest of the poor, while treating everyone with respect and dignity and judging no one. Her writing is as simple as her life, but just as special. Her words have a way of making you feel good inside and closer to God, and I feel blessed to have chosen this book. It's goin...more
Karen Carpenter
Wonderful spiritual book,
Merri
I love that Mother Teresa is one of the very few Christians that doesn't ram religion down anyone's throat. Her message is beautiful and clear: God is love. She addresses different religions as well as atheists and encourages them to simply do good in the world. She doesn't use the bible to judge or condemn others, and only uplifts. This is a great book if you have been pushed away from God and Christianity like I have. I would rather follow Mother Teresa's teachings rather than the bible.
Jakki
Oct 27, 2011 Jakki rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to be inspired by a small woman of great substance
I've always been curious about Mother Teresa - what a wonderful giving woman. She knew at age 17 she wanted to be a nun and so began her journey doing just that as a teacher and principal to start out with. I was impressed she never tried to convert others, but just intentionally and honestly lived out her faith in Jesus. The religious orders she established several years ago still function today. I loved it that the stories told are by the nuns who worked with her.
Michelle
Our public library has a summer reading program for adults this year. I have to read books with different genres to get a BINGO. This was the book I chose for a biography. It was nice to learn more about Mother Teresa. This book was more about her beliefs than a biography of her life. This was written in 1996 so it didn't have anything about her being made a saint. I was interested in that whole process. I guess I'll have to look it up on line!
Glenn
This book has some simple but profound truths, is a quick read, and I definitely recommend it. What this book does is give the late Mother Teresa a chance to expound her philosophy of service. What makes it a little confusing is that her observations are interspersed with those of the people she worked with, and that makes the book a little confusing. Maybe it was unobservant of me, but I tended to forget who was writing what I was reading.
Tanya
Когато преди няколко години Майка Тереза посети Вашингтон, спомням си как на Капитолия един сенатор й каза: „Майко, работата, която вършиш, е изумителна”, а тя отговори: „Божа работа”. Тогава той я попита: „Но можеш ли да почувстваш някога удовлетворение от делата си в Индия, където проблемите са безчетни – не са ли безсмислени твоите опити?” Тя отвърна: „Сенаторе, не сме призовани да бъдем удовлетворени. Призовани сме да бъдем вярващи.”
Michel
I picked up this book (can't remember how it ended up on my book shelf) because I was interested in learning more about Mother Teresa as a historical figure. I was disappointed. It discusses the houses she created for service to the poor and shares numerous anecdotes, but I feel like it lacks true insight into Mother Teresa herself. It also had a lot of prayers written out. Not at all what I thought it would be.
Ági
Born as Agnes Gonxha in 1910 in Albania. When she was eighteen, she joined the Irish order, learned English and then went to Calcutta, India to teach at St. Mary's High School. When she took her vows, she chose her name after St. Theresa of Lisieux, known as the Flower of Jesus. In 1950, she started her own order, the Missionaries of Charity and founded homes, schools, and hospices around the world.
Jenifer
Nice book, but nothing new here. Little stories and episodes demonstrate Mother Teresa's "life lessons" which include things like "pray every day", "seek silence and be alone with your thoughts". It was interesting to get a glimpse into the simplicity of her life, but important to realize that humanitarian service can be given by anyone in any community.
Yeliz
I thought it would have more quotes from Mother Teresa herself. Other than that it wasn't about religions, which was good, but full of qutoes from volunteers and sisters about their experiences. Life can be full of surprises good&bad. This book is kind of a reminder of all the other people who are suffering for some reason and what one can do.
Blair Donkin
Very simple, quite profound because of the life lived that is the testimony to the words. One to read again, to contemplate further and apply.
Lana Morris
Aug 15, 2009 Lana Morris is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: yes
This book reads with nice flow compared to Come
Be My Light. I am very inspired as I learn more about her amazing work, her great sacrifice. She humbly shares her spiritual strengths, and her call to compassion and service to the poor and sick are lovely call to all Chatholic and really to all Christians.
Julie
I liked the format. The message got a little preachy toward the last part of the book, but that was the "Service" portion, so it isn't too surprising. I liked the prayer examples offered in the book. I liked the inclusiveness of it, and the awareness of the Divine in all.
Danielle Allen
I'm a huge admirer of Mother Teresa, so I was hoping this book would be a little more in her words. However, there are some great lessons in here. I think it would have been even more accessible if I were Catholic, but nevertheless I did enjoy it.
  • Crossing the Threshold of Hope
  • The Life of Saint Teresa of Ávila by Herself
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • Surprised by Truth
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • The Little Flowers of St. Francis of Assisi
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Thérèse of Lisieux
  • Catherine of Siena: The Dialogue (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life
  • Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Saint Francis of Assisi
  • Making Sense Out of Suffering
  • Healing and the Mind
  • Something Beautiful for God
  • The Duty of Delight: The Diaries of Dorothy Day
Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (pronounced [aɡˈnɛs ˈɡɔndʒa bɔjaˈdʒiu]), was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had b...more
More about Mother Teresa...
Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta No Greater Love Mother Teresa: In My Own Words In the Heart of the World: Thoughts, Stories and Prayers The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living

“The greatest disease in the West today is not TB or leprosy; it is being unwanted, unloved, and uncared for. We can cure physical diseases with medicine, but the only cure for loneliness, despair, and hopelessness is love. There are many in the world who are dying for a piece of bread but there are many more dying for a little love. The poverty in the West is a different kind of poverty -- it is not only a poverty of loneliness but also of spirituality. There's a hunger for love, as there is a hunger for God.” 961 likes
“In the West we have a tendency to be profit-oriented, where everything is measured according to the results and we get caught up in being more and more active to generate results. In the East -- especially in India -- I find that people are more content to just be, to just sit around under a banyan tree for half a day chatting to each other. We Westerners would probably call that wasting time. But there is value to it. Being with someone, listening wihtout a clock and without anticipation of results, teaches us about love. The success of love is in the loving -- it is not in the result of loving.

These words, taken from the book A Simple Path, are the words of one of the Missionaries of Charity Sisters, not of Mother Teresa.
314 likes