The C-Word

The C-Word

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Published May 25th 2010 by Arrow (first published April 10th 2010)

Leah
'Carrie Bradshaw fell in Dior, I fell in Debenhams. It was May 2008, and it was spectacular. Uncomfortable heels + slippy floor + head turned by a cocktail dress = thwack. Arms stretched overhead, teeth cracking on floor tiles, chest and knees breaking the fall. It was theatrical, exaggerated, a perfect 6.0. And it was Significant Moment #1 in discovering that I had grade-three breast cancer.' The last thing Lisa Lynch had expected to put on her 'things to do before you're 30' list was beating b...more
Zuhamy
Lisa can be really smutty and humorous. She finds ways to present harrowing situations in the most hilarious ways provoking contradictory feelings in the reader with her brutal honesty. Her warm writing style could easily fool you to believe that her emotional explorations are just that... emotional. However, the book doesn't only tell you how a 28 year old woman with a dreadful illness that she calls "the bullshit" feels... It shows you life interrupted; it shows you the effect of loving parent...more
Hanisah
The journey through breast cancer depicted in the book is very light-hearted and positive. I was able to understand better the pain and anguish some breast cancer survivors have to go through. Book was close to heart as main character is in her late 20s, married, trying to have a child but has to stop doing so because of cancer.
Sindre
[...]get yourself a cup of tea (or Gin & Tonic) and some biscuits and read about Lisa and how she felt as nervous as Pete Doherty in a customs bust when visiting the hairdresser (one of the many passages that made me snort/laugh/spurt-liquid-through-my-nose).

Or the fantastic Mr. P. concocted what I only can imagine to be an epic pot of chili when faced with dull taste buds, and many many others.

head over to: http://bit.ly/hdpHbw for my full review (wordpress site, no nasty stuff... honest)
Gordon McLean
Feels slightly wrong to focus on how often this book made me chuckle, but it did (I think that was the intention, thankfully).

It would've been very easy for this to be an overly emotional story but instead we are treated to a frank and honest retelling of how a life is changed by The Bullshit, a story which had me crying both with laughter and in sympathy.

Overall a hugely enjoyable read, and it's even better that you can then go and read even more on her blog!

Sarah Robertson
Fab book, heart breaking yet heartwarming! Definately recommend this! :-)
Krissie Lenting
I read this book in Dutch and think that all the humor of this book was lost in the translation. I didn't find the book humorous or witty, it tried to be, but didn't live up to its claims, unfortunately.
Sophie
Amazing book - and I'm only half way through. Recommend this to anyone who's interested in what it's like to deal with a massive, life-changing ordeal... in your twenties.
Aileen
I read this book in a few hours, it was funny and sad, but a great book every woman should read this book. I would defintely recomend.
Nicky
This was brilliant, it's given me a better understanding of 'the bullshit', and warrants 5* because of its honesty. A must read.
Emily McGovern
This was an incredible insight into one women's experience of breast cancer. Hilarious, honest and extremely moving.
Lydia
Highly recommended. Funny, sad, blunt, honest and I found it ultimately uplifting and feel-good.
Mindy
An amazing girl, an incredibly moving, touching, and funny book.
Leah
Honest, frank and funny.
Kaylee Fried
Kaylee Fried marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Olivia Edmonds
Olivia Edmonds is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
Rachel Claire
Rachel Claire is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Jessica Hiscocks
Jessica Hiscocks marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Hugin
Hugin marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Xima Kimi
Xima Kimi is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2014
Soumya
Soumya marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Emma Snaggletooth Clinical Supervision for Nurses Toffe tiet From Darkness to Light: A Woman's Testimony Training and the Private Sector